To Moly or Not: That is the Question

PDA

JShirley
September 8, 2010, 12:35 AM
I have an SPR-type .308 heavy match barrel, sub-moa rifle on an STG-58 receiver. It's had about 1500 rounds through it, all coated. I'm in the process of getting it set up with an appropriate scope to shoot to 600 meters. Will the lessened wear on my barrel be worth continuing to only shoot moly bullets, despite the higher per-rd cost? I'm planning on shooting 168s, since heavier bullets have to be individually loaded.

Thanks,

John

If you enjoyed reading about "To Moly or Not: That is the Question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
dawico
September 8, 2010, 12:51 AM
From what I have read, most guys are treating their barrels not the bullets now. I personally haven't seen the proof to do either, but I also hear the 50 BMG shooters are the only ones using moly coated bullets now. I have seen a lot of moly coated bullets get discontinued fairly recently. Hopefully someone that has treated their barrel can chime in on any benefits or drawbacks.

Zak Smith
September 8, 2010, 01:31 PM
Several friends of mine have shot a lot of moly in the past. Their conclusion was that it didn't increase barrel life, but did increase the number of rounds between cleanings (to regain accuracy). I don't clean my barrels regularly so it's a moot point for me.

Howard Roark
September 8, 2010, 06:42 PM
I have a little different data. When shooting moly I and a very good friend have seen that barrel life has increased by up to 500 rounds. We shoot .243 accross the course and are getting about 2800 rounds before the barrel is toast. The barrels we've used are Hart and Pac-Nor.

That said I'm switching to .260 Rem in hopes of getting the same barrel life but without the need to moly.

JShirley
September 9, 2010, 06:41 PM
Thanks for the input. :)

taliv
September 9, 2010, 06:51 PM
if i could get an extra 500 rnds out of my 260AI by using moly, i'd be all over it. that'd be like a 50% improvement :)

If you enjoyed reading about "To Moly or Not: That is the Question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!