It's official...

PDA

fireman5069
September 8, 2010, 05:53 PM
It's official. I may have the worst luck picking out guns of anyone. Recently, I have bought some NEW guns and all have either had to go back for repair out of the box or back to the store and turned back in for refunds. Today is no exception. I bought a Bersa Thunder .380 yesterday and took it to the range today and could not even get the first round to chamber. It kept hanging up where the feed ramp meets the chamber. Three different brands and no luck. Tried using the slide release to chamber and it worked then after one shot it jammed again. Guys on the range felt sorry for me for the rotten luck lately. I think it's catching on the feed ramp as it is gouging into the side of the bullet head. All rounds were round nose FMJ. Anyone else have this happen? Any suggestions on how I could tidy it up so I don't have to send it away? Overall, I like the gun for feel and low recoil but I can't deal with it being a single shot. Also, please subdue comments on it being a Bersa. They DO make good guns and we've all heard the comments before on other posts. Thank you.

If you enjoyed reading about "It's official..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Captcurt
September 8, 2010, 07:12 PM
I would try another magazine before I did anything else. If that didn't work it would go back to the factory.

westtx28
September 8, 2010, 07:53 PM
It's official. I may have the worst luck picking out guns of anyone

Thats how I feel about stocks.

fireman5069
September 8, 2010, 08:01 PM
Forgot to add that I did use anothermag with the same results. When I cleared the mag from the gun the round was pointing straight up in the mag. Well, sending it back I guess.

hemiram
September 9, 2010, 07:56 AM
I went through something similar about 25 years ago. I had a string of new duds that lasted quite a while. My luck with used guns was much better for some reason. Now, I can't seem to really miss, new or used, the last couple of dozen were perfect!

ET
September 9, 2010, 08:45 AM
This is why I take along snap caps and inspect the guns I'm looking to buy closely. I have the salesman break down the guns and reassemble them. I load snap caps in the mags and cycle them thru the gun & dry fire it. Some new snap caps will show the firing pin indentions when used. If it isn't working 100% then I don't buy it. I weeded out a TCP that seemed to have some issues & ended up with one that was 100%. I never assume that a new gun will work out of the box. Buying over the internet creates a major obstacle to inspecting unless you pick a seller that agrees before hand to take back the gun from the FFL if it doesn't pass inspection upon delivery to the FFL. Giving it the once over in the store before I buy has always worked for me.

fireman5069
September 10, 2010, 12:34 AM
With the exception of the snap cap method, I probably wouldn't have caught this flaw until firing. I did however take it back to the dealer and advised him of the situation and was immediately met with an air of disgust. I had taken back a new Heritage .22 that had more lead coming out the side than the barrel and he brought that up and stated that he wasn't making any money turning these in. Not my fault. Maybe he needs to reassess his inventory. Finally agreed to send it in but not sure I will be buying from this place in the future.

9mmforMe
September 10, 2010, 01:17 AM
Yeah thats a pretty bad reaction from the dealer who sold you the gun, he deserves to lose your business with that attitude, If I were you I would be pissed with his comments. Without seeing your pistol you may be right about the feed ramp. I owned a Bersa once and I sold it after some feed problems so I'm not aware of the quality of their customer service. Hang in there, send it back and hopefully you'll get it back soon and fixed.

The_Shootist
September 10, 2010, 01:45 AM
Thats what I got after my Thunder went south on me after a couple of hundred rounds. Haven't bothered to get it fixed as my Bulgy fits any role the Bersa could fit and with a beefier cartridge that easy to find for either SD or practice.

fireman5069
October 5, 2010, 10:14 PM
UPDATE: The guy at the gun shop felt sorry for the way he treated me since I patronize his business alot and he offered to send the gun in (on his dime) AND let me use another one out of the case until mine was returned. Just got it back today and will try it again tomorrow. Repair ticket showed a few adjustments and a re working of the throat and feedramp as the cause of the jams.( i thought that was the problem). Will post results of tomorrows range trip.

fireman5069
October 7, 2010, 02:02 AM
OK. I went to the range today and shot 100 rounds, half FMJ/half hollowpoint and it performed flawlessly. Fairly accurate too. Now to send the Firestorm FS22 off to get the gremlins out of IT.

Average Joe
October 7, 2010, 08:38 PM
Seems like almost everything I buy nowadays is defective.

fireman5069
October 7, 2010, 09:55 PM
Well, I got the Thunder 380 back and all is well with it but the Firestorm FS22 is a different story. Found out that Bersa only pays up to $30 for shipping and it's gonna cost me $45 to FedEx it Overnight. This is a brand new gun and Bersa was unwilling to cover the full cost of shipping. Not happy with this kind of customer service. I don't want something for nothing but I can't see sinking more money into a product that is brand new and giving problems. So I did the prudent thing at the time and sold it. I had to ship the Thunder to the gunsmith right out of the box(shipping was paid for by the dealer) and if more issues arise with it, it's gone too. Protecting my life is NOT a crapshoot. BTW, The Bersa representative informed me that I could ship it Priority Mail through the USPS. It's my understanding that this is illegal for a handgun. I stated I wasn't an FFL and she said it didn't matter.

killchain
October 7, 2010, 10:02 PM
Well, I got the Thunder 380 back and all is well with it but the Firestorm FS22 is a different story. Found out that Bersa only pays up to $30 for shipping and it's gonna cost me $45 to FedEx it Overnight. This is a brand new gun and Bersa was unwilling to cover the full cost of shipping. Not happy with this kind of customer service. I don't want something for nothing but I can't see sinking more money into a product that is brand new and giving problems. So I did the prudent thing at the time and sold it. I had to ship the Thunder to the gunsmith right out of the box(shipping was paid for by the dealer) and if more issues arise with it, it's gone too. Protecting my life is NOT a crapshoot. BTW, The Bersa representative informed me that I could ship it Priority Mail through the USPS. It's my understanding that this is illegal for a handgun. I stated I wasn't an FFL and she said it didn't matter.
For warranty repairs, they can ship it right to you. Trick is that you will have to go to the post office and sign for it right there.

I had a revolver come to me in the post office once... didn't expect it to come there, so I opened the box like, "What did I get?"

I just closed the box real quick and walked out to the truck.

bds
October 7, 2010, 10:17 PM
Seems like almost everything I buy nowadays is defective.
What are you buying?

All the 1911, Sig226, CZ75, Beretta, Makarov, CZ52, Sigma, Ruger P89/P95, Glocks (17/19/26/22/23/26/30), PT145 and now M&P40/45 all have shot and ran without "defective" issues.

fireman5069
October 7, 2010, 10:31 PM
killchain- I was going to ship it from my hand to the warranty center. You are REQUIRED to tell FedEx that it is a firearm. I've had several people advise on how to ship it to "circumvent" the requirements, but I don't want to take that chance of having it confiscated or worse. Still have my eye on that nice little Rock Island Armory .45.

M2 Carbine
October 7, 2010, 10:46 PM
I may have the worst luck picking out guns of anyone.
Lately I've been in the same boat.
About a thousand dollars wasted on a SIG P238 and .380 Diamondback. Both have been nothing but trouble and a waste of a lot of good .380 ammo.:mad:

fireman5069
October 7, 2010, 11:28 PM
Think I'll start another thread and get opinions on what 380's people were shooting BEFORE the influx of all the "latest and greatest".

W.E.G.
October 7, 2010, 11:32 PM
Get a Glock.

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/rkba2da/humor/sissypistol.jpg

bds
October 8, 2010, 12:48 AM
Think I'll start another thread and get opinions on what 380's people were shooting BEFORE the influx of all the "latest and greatest".
I did mention Makarov ... it was 380 Auto. Shot great! Never jammed.

ET
October 9, 2010, 12:01 AM
I own 7 handguns... 2 Glocks, 1 S&W, 3 Taurus, 1 Browning & 1 Hi-Point (gift form my brother 13 years ago). Of all those guns only one went back because of a problem...the S&W. I would have bet the farm that a Taurus would have been the one to go back after reading all of the negative comments on the internet. Go figure.

My 380 of choice is a Taurus TCP that has over 1k thru it with no problems other than the fact that it won't eat Speer Lawman fmj. Everything else is 100%. Good Gun.

Glockurai
October 9, 2010, 07:53 PM
I had an issue when I bought my G21sf. The ambi mag release would get stuck. I had to send it to glock. I heard it was a common problem. The turnaround was about two weeks. No problems since. Sure was disappointing though.

John Wayne
October 9, 2010, 09:12 PM
I had an issue with two firearms I bought brand new, both of which are normally considered absolutely reliable.

Bought a GLOCK 30 that would not hand-eject a round if there was a loaded mag in place. I'm not one to pass off broken stuff to other people, but the Glock armorer I took it to told me it was normal so I sold it.

Had a CVA single shot rifle that needed to go back to the factory...in two seperate pieces because of their poorly-educated customer service staff.

It's not just the OP, I think companies these days are just cutting costs and hoping no one bothers to call them out on it. I will say that I have been consistently impressed with S&W though; I have owned 5 of their revolvers and never once regretted purchasing any of them.

If you enjoyed reading about "It's official..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!