New CCI tactical 22LR ammo

PDA

General Tso
September 8, 2010, 06:08 PM
I was watching guns n ammo tv the other day and they did a spot on the new 22LR CCI ammo that was designed for AR's and such. I got the new Cabelas shooting catalog and they're not in it. Has any one seen or tried these. It uses a 40gr. copper plated round bose bullet.

If you enjoyed reading about "New CCI tactical 22LR ammo" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
John Wayne
September 8, 2010, 07:26 PM
What feature makes it designed for an AR? 40 gr. plated bullets are a common .22 LR loading.

Are they somehow designed for an AR conversion BCG that utilizes the stock barrel? I can't see why a dedicated .22 LR AR-style rifle or upper would need any special ammunition; it's just another semiautomatic .22 rifle.

CCI rimfire ammunition is generally top-shelf stuff, but I don't see this being anything more than a marketing ploy.

General Tso
September 8, 2010, 08:06 PM
Probably is marketing. I saw it on guns and ammo yesterday. I can't even find anything on the net about it.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

lot21
September 8, 2010, 08:25 PM
This was floating around on here a few weeks ago.

http://www.rimfireuniverse.com/

Could be what you saw.

Love your chicken btw.

John Wayne
September 8, 2010, 09:03 PM
Seriously? They make a .22 LR bullet called "infantry?"

John Parker
September 8, 2010, 09:05 PM
Tactical .22 rounds? Tactical?????

Prion
September 8, 2010, 09:10 PM
Taking a page from the Extreme Shock playbook.

DasFriek
September 9, 2010, 03:53 AM
This place will surely have them first.

http://www.tactical22lr.com/

bigfatdave
September 9, 2010, 06:27 AM
Nothing on the CCI website that I can find
http://www.cci-ammunition.com/default.aspx

CCI is good stuff, but as far as a special "tactical" load, if there is such a thing it is marketing for the gomers who think .22LR has the energy required for self-defense. Newsflash! The energy and reliability isn't there, no matter what projectile you mount on that casing. Although if I had to pick .22LR defensive ammo, CCI would be the way to go, they have the most reliable priming/ignition of any rimfire I've ever tried.

22-rimfire
September 9, 2010, 07:50 AM
I think we should just wait and see what CCI says about the ammunition. But I know, speculating is fun. If I had to guess, the round is probably designed to feed more reliably or this is simply their new round that is designed to breakup easily and minimize riccochets. I would suspect that most AR type shooting is for fun versus for accuracy. I believe there was an article on this new loading in Guns & Ammo magazine or Shooting Times magazine.

Link: http://www.cci-ammunition.com/whatsnew/newproducts.aspx

This is not called CCI Tactical 22LR ammo.

Carl N. Brown
September 9, 2010, 08:01 AM
Given reliability issues with .22lr ARs and run-of-the-mill ammo or accuracy issues with conversion kits using the original 5.56/.223 barrel, a .22lr optimised for the AR platform would be a blessing.

loose cannon
September 9, 2010, 10:51 AM
with mini revolvers and other .22s that are or may be used for defense some company needs to intro a high grade reliable(no mis fires)round optomised for defense.

but call it defense ammunition not tactical.a over used term that needs to go away.

Manco
September 9, 2010, 02:32 PM
Nothing on the CCI website that I can find
http://www.cci-ammunition.com/default.aspx

CCI is good stuff, but as far as a special "tactical" load, if there is such a thing it is marketing for the gomers who think .22LR has the energy required for self-defense. Newsflash! The energy and reliability isn't there, no matter what projectile you mount on that casing.

I think that some (not all, as bullet design is also important) existing .22 LR loads have enough energy and the right terminal ballistics for self-defense, even in handguns, when they're matched to the appropriate barrel lengths--no special "tactical" loads are necessary, although it remains to be seen what is really meant by the marketing terminology in this case. I think it is possible to improve on existing .22 LR loads, so I'm intrigued, although the cynic in me doesn't expect much.

Although if I had to pick .22LR defensive ammo, CCI would be the way to go, they have the most reliable priming/ignition of any rimfire I've ever tried.

I agree here--CCI priming seems reliable enough for self-defense, in my opinion, although I'd still stick with revolvers in this caliber.

with mini revolvers and other .22s that are or may be used for defense some company needs to intro a high grade reliable(no mis fires)round optomised for defense.

The CCI Velocitor (not the Stinger) already comes pretty close to the ideal for a .22 LR defensive load, in my opinion. I'd keep it more or less the same for rifles, but for handguns I think that it could be improved by filling in the hollow-point cavity (which would add some weight to the bullet), making the bullet flat-nosed, and casting it from a relatively hard lead alloy.

Jim Watson
September 9, 2010, 02:35 PM
I wonder if they dare make a .22 lr with a larger diameter bullet to shoot in the centerfire barrel. Probably not, some numbskull would load it in his 10-22 thirty shot nanner clip and wonder why it did not work.

oasis618
September 9, 2010, 02:36 PM
Nothing says "tactical" like a 22LR. Maybe for your midnight special ops defending your garden against mischevious critters.

jnyork
September 9, 2010, 03:05 PM
What's next, tactical skivvie shorts? :rolleyes: :D

kk0g
September 9, 2010, 03:21 PM
What's next, tactical skivvie shorts?

http://www.thunderwear.com/holsters.asp :D:neener:

Water-Man
September 9, 2010, 03:48 PM
+1 to what Manco said. A flat nose, hard cast bullet would be an improvement.

VA27
September 9, 2010, 07:16 PM
Well, I'll give it a try, should I actually find some.

General Tso
September 9, 2010, 08:39 PM
http://tapa.tk/mu/d86060c2-7e14-ab6b.jpg

General Tso
September 9, 2010, 08:40 PM
http://tapa.tk/mu/d86060c2-7e5b-7771.jpg

Manco
September 9, 2010, 10:06 PM
Nothing says "tactical" like a 22LR. Maybe for your midnight special ops defending your garden against mischevious critters.

Well, suppressed .22 LR is said to be commonly used for killing people stealthily, so maybe that cancels out the sarcasm. :scrutiny::neener:

Anyway, according to General Tso's images it's clearly not the improved Velocitor I was hoping for, so the mystery continues.

DoubleTapDrew
September 9, 2010, 11:26 PM
They must be trying to cash in on all the guys that have .22lr conversions for their AR-15s but don't want to shoot non jacketed lead bullets through them.

chicharrones
September 9, 2010, 11:57 PM
Tactical? I want some strategic .22LR ammo.

Manco
September 10, 2010, 11:45 AM
Tactical? I want some strategic .22LR ammo.

Well, a 40 grain antimatter bullet would theoretically have a yield of about 111 kilotons (of TNT). Is that strategic enough for you? ;)

desidog
September 10, 2010, 11:59 AM
If your primary combat weapon is a .22lr... your tactics suck.

Similarly, if you're willing to trust the dependability of a Ceiner conversion in a combat situation...

VA27
September 10, 2010, 07:27 PM
I don't think that the CCI ammo in the pix is it. The website link specifically states that the ammo is jacketed and lead free.

Manco
September 10, 2010, 09:34 PM
I don't think that the CCI ammo in the pix is it. The website link specifically states that the ammo is jacketed and lead free.

Well, the box says "AR Tactical"....

Cosmik de Bris
September 10, 2010, 10:17 PM
Well, a 40 grain antimatter bullet would theoretically have a yield of about 111 kilotons (of TNT). Is that strategic enough for you? ;)
What's its BC?

ratcobob
September 10, 2010, 11:32 PM
AR - Airsoft Rifle. Now its a 'tactical' round.

chicharrones
September 10, 2010, 11:44 PM

http://bestsmileys.com/freak/2.gif

http://bestsmileys.com/lol/16.gif

russ69
September 11, 2010, 01:07 AM
General Tso and the OP has it right. I was paying attention when the segment came on. CCI did a lot of testing, they said, and this ammo is the result. Works best in conversions and the new semi rifles. It's standard velocity, copper plated, truncated round nose and comes in a bulk pack. An excellent idea and perfect timing for the market. I'm sure I'll try some in my guns even though I have no semi-auto rifles.

Thanx, Russ

Nushif
September 11, 2010, 01:15 AM
tactical skivvie shorts

I do have a set of woodland cammie boxers.

Manco
September 11, 2010, 09:09 AM
What's its BC?

About .100, but darn it all, I forgot to add its kinetic energy to its yield due to particle annihilation! Now I'll have to do the calculation all over again. :mad:;)

NCsmitty
September 11, 2010, 09:56 AM
It's amazing how some folks get all nervous and jerky when the word "tactical" is added to anything.

The bullet is a round nose according to the box in the picture. Probably a Mini-mag in a new box. The last 40gr Mini-mag rounds that I chronographed averaged 1220 fps, so it's right in the velocity range that's on the new box.

If it's introduced, they'll probably double the price with the word "tactical" attached and the fools will pay it.

NCsmitty

buck460XVR
September 11, 2010, 01:22 PM
Maybe they have come up with a way to determine that the primer is fully spread thruout the rim so one can actually buy a bulk-pac and not have 10-20% FTF.

bigfatdave
September 11, 2010, 03:01 PM
10-20% FTF
ten to twenty percent primer failures?
Really?

I've had junky ammo, old ammo, boxes that I found out had been wetted in a flooded shop, and even the dreaded Remington junk. Never have I had one in five fail to ignite. Perhaps you need some hardware repairs?

And I've surely never had a signifigant primer failure rate with CCI, again, where are you getting these numbers?

rcmodel
September 11, 2010, 03:07 PM
Same here with CCI ammo.
I can't remember ever having a dud with CCI.

The worst I have shot was Remington bulk pack.
But even that was nowhere even close to 10% or 20%.

If you have that kind of mis-fire rate with any brand, you need to do a whole bunch of gun cleaning and/or repair.

rc

arizona98tj
December 17, 2010, 08:04 PM
If your primary combat weapon is a .22lr... your tactics suck.

Actually, quite the opposite.....if you put some thought into it.

Think about it......if your primary combat weapon is a .22LR.....and we aren't reading about it in your obituary, your tactics are probably some of the best on this planet. ;)

stanger04
December 17, 2010, 08:42 PM
I don't know why all of you are downing a .22 tactical ammo. Raccoons are smart, sneaky, and wear masks. Someone should have made .22 tactical ammo a long time ago to help relieve this problem. I personally don't trust any person or animal that wears a mask.
:)

blume357@bellsouth.net
December 18, 2010, 07:39 AM
40 grain, copper plated, round nose....

me thinks someone at CCI just used the best know marketing ploy of manufacturing..

Just put the same old product in a newer, brighter colored box with more words on it and charge more for it. 'new and improved'

maybe they could come up with something like:

"NEW AND IMPROVED ADVANCED CRIME FIGHTING FORMULA"

Carl N. Brown
December 18, 2010, 08:00 AM
If the ammo is optimized for .22 LR AR rifles (which some folks use for training), then marketing it as 'tactical' is grin-worthy but accurate. Maybe tactical training round would be a better term (it is 40gr @ 1200 fps which is not varmint killer from heck performance). After testing four or five brands in a Colt (Walther) .22 M4, I know finding ammo both inexpensive and reliable for large scale practice is not easy.

Onmilo
December 18, 2010, 09:25 AM
And so it be fact,,,,slap the word "Tactical" on ANYTHING and the people will buy it as fast as thoust may produce it,,,,

doubleh
December 18, 2010, 10:07 AM
Every time I see "tactical" and ".22LR" used together I get the giggles. The two just don't fit in the same sentence.

CraigC
December 18, 2010, 12:31 PM
Folks sure get weird about the word "tactical". Yet they never come up with something to call the stuff that doesn't make them giggle. :rolleyes:

stanger04
December 18, 2010, 12:52 PM
Honestly if you look at all the .22 guns made most are based on a few older designs and just have updated cosmetics.

Look at how much .22 ammo is out there, it's like S&W's website with gun models, the only difference is most of the .22 ammo is the same few designs. They have to do something to try and catch some of the market, you have to remember flash sells a lot, even if people just buy it to try it, they can always repack it as something else if it quits selling and make money again. The economy sucks and most companies are just trying to stay open and hope it gets better.

Can any of us really say we never bought something because of the looks or impulse and I mean anything a soft drink, candy, anything? A lot of companies bank on this and really do on the holidays. If the company makes money on it they're the smart ones, the ones that fall for the ploys are the suckers. I've been a sucker a few times but I live I learn and move on, then again this could be some really good stuff, never know till you try.

mcdonl
December 18, 2010, 02:30 PM
/rant/The ammo was marketed to be used in the S&W 15-22... an AR style .22...

You guys are something else... so, in the S&T forum is it all about caliber or tactics? Tactics, and tactical do not need to be about caliber.

It was stated that a lot of police departments are using the 15-22 as it has the same feel and dimensions of the MP AR that many of the same departments use. This allows them to save on ammo costs, shoot more and be more proficient. Do you recommend they use a standard out of the box 10/22 because it is silly to have a tactical .22?

A tactical rifle in the hands of someone who is shooting competition, or in the LE or military makes sense, and having a caliber that is cheap to train with makes sense.

Think out of the box, it does not mean that someone with a tactical .22 is going to use it for battle for crying out loud..../rant off/

Carl N. Brown
December 18, 2010, 07:43 PM
What is worse, after I suggested that "tactical" may be correctly used to market ammo optimised for AR .22 rifles used for tactical training, I went to the beer-wine-lotto ticket store at the state line and they had a rack of pocket knife and pocket flashlight sets proudly marketed as "Tactical". Sometimes getting through this world takes a sense of humor.

CraigC
December 18, 2010, 09:05 PM
mcdonl, good rant. ;)

DoubleTapDrew
December 18, 2010, 10:47 PM
Has anyone tried this ammo yet?
Cabelas wants $100 for a 1500rd pack of it http://www.cabelas.com/rimfire-ammunition-cci-22lr-dry-box-1.shtml?type=product&WT.tsrc=CSE&WT.mc_id=GoogleBaseUSA&WT.z_mc_id1=1143660&rid=40&mr:trackingCode=488497E6-C7EE-DF11-9612-001B21631C34&mr:referralID=NA

General Tso
February 24, 2011, 07:17 PM
It is now available.
http://www.cci-ammunition.com/products/detail.aspx?use=1&loadNo=0953

CoastieShep
February 24, 2011, 07:26 PM
This one was my favorite. Used for deep penetration and bone crushing energy in thick skinned game. LMAO
http://www.rimfireuniverse.com/productfmj.html#

mcdonl
February 24, 2011, 07:37 PM
I found this ammo worked well in my 10/22 and my Mossberg 151M, but was only accurate in the 10/22.... my mossberg seems to like Federal bulk ammo... .22's are so susceptible to ammo unlike any other gun.

When I buy a new .22 I bring every kind of .22 ammo I can find on the shelves with me. You just never know.

Grousefeather
February 24, 2011, 07:46 PM
I recall in South East Asia, a while ago. some spec ops guys using silenced 22 ruger pistols. I never asked them why lol.

Ky Larry
February 24, 2011, 09:22 PM
Couldn't afford it anyway. I spent all my $$$ on Tactical Bacon.

mcdonl
February 24, 2011, 09:58 PM
Do any of you do reload drills? Shooting while moving? Reloading while moving?

Just curious. It seems like a large number of the users on this site draw a direct line from caliber to tactics. You should do some research. There is actually a lot of tactical skills that can enhance your shooting that do not even require ammo. Using a .22 as a training rifle is catching on. Even some LE organizations are doing it.

Education is a good thing, you guys who laugh at the .22 as a tactical training device are really selling yourselves short. I even read some where that tactics are as much a mindset as anything else. Caliber is at the bottom of the list of what is considered tactical in my opinion.

But, some people just want to hear things go bang real loud... I think that is fun too.

But, like they say... Ignorance is bliss, and this friggen place is like Disney land it is so blissful.

CraigC
February 24, 2011, 11:10 PM
Another great post from someone who "gets it", mcdonl. :)

Dutchdiamondback
April 3, 2011, 04:22 PM
I wanna get it to.

As in the ammo. I don't give for anything advertising as "supreme", "Specially developed", "Modern", "It's Amazing, Jim!"- yes even the word "Tactical" means absolutely Zero to me.

I judge the cuisine by looking, smelling and tasting. Anyone got a chance on this? All I've read is hubbub on the commerce-side of this round. Not on how it preforms. (aside from mcdonl's - his philosophy of grabbing anything on the shelf is the right one!)

So - how about a rangereport with a Tactical .22?

I will try to contact the CCI-importer in the Netherlands tomorrow and see if they have any plans to bring it to my neck of the woods.

mac66
April 3, 2011, 04:29 PM
Everybody knows that the only way you can be tactical is with "tactical" boolits. Geezzzz.

Dutchdiamondback
April 3, 2011, 04:33 PM
I don't want to be Tactical.

I just want the best bang for my bug. And I don't care what the box says - as long as it preforms.

GCBurner
April 3, 2011, 08:01 PM
Sticking the word "Tactical!" on ammo or gun accessories is like putting "Contains Oat Bran!" on cereal, or "Low Carb!" on a restaurant menu, or "New And Improved!" on laundry detergent. It's a marketing gimmick to justify charging a higher price. ;)

If you enjoyed reading about "New CCI tactical 22LR ammo" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!