SW40VE front sight

PDA

writerinmo
September 8, 2010, 09:50 PM
Disappeared... as in "is not located on the pistol anymore" gone...

So the question is, do I call up S&W and gripe at them, wait for their shipping box to come, send it in and hope that someone there has pity on me and puts a Trijicon front sight on it, or do I just buy a Glock Hiviz on and install it myself? :fire:

If you enjoyed reading about "SW40VE front sight" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Nushif
September 8, 2010, 09:57 PM
Did it vanish from your nightstand ... at the range?
Need more parameters. 8)

Runningman
September 8, 2010, 10:36 PM
Had that happen to a 1911 at a range, never did find it. :banghead: If you like the gun and plan on keeping it, might be time for some decent night sights.

writerinmo
September 8, 2010, 10:51 PM
I like it, and I purty much don't get rid of a gun once I own it (I made an exception for the last wife when her drinking got out of hand for safety's sake, but now she's history and starting up my collections again! Dang lawyers got about all the money I got out of selling them all...) so I've been looking at sights. Not a big fan of lasers, or trying to find a holster for a pistol after putting one on it. Read a lost of threads across the internet about how you can put a Glock Hiviz front sight on the Sigma pretty easy without a lot of money (that I don't have with two kids in college!)

I point shoot at most targets inside 15 yards anyways.

And Nushif, I have no idea where... it was on there yesterday morning when I did my inspection. I am thinking that my knife might have come up when I squatted down and knocked it off, it's just a chunk of plastic and looked to me 'melted' in to me. Could be anywhere in the back yard when I was mowing, to Walmart, Lowes, assorted fast food places, my shop (probably not since I swept the floor up good after doing a bit of powdercoating) but who knows...not like I could put it back on unless I epoxied it anyways! I am leaning towards the Glock Hiviz front sight at the moment, under 30 bucks off a couple of sites, shipping included. If anyone has any experience with them, let me know, I appreciate it.

Arkansas Paul
September 8, 2010, 11:28 PM
The same thing happened to me with my 40VE. Smith and Wesson sent me a label to put on a box and I go to the local Fed Ex place and they say that firearms have to be shipped overnight and Smith didn't pay for overnight. I'm gonna try something myself. I'll take a look at the Hiviz as well.

Onward Allusion
September 8, 2010, 11:47 PM
Yeah - the front sights do look like they're melted on. The good thing is that you can get a steel replacement for $25 at MidwayUSA or even a complete set of night sights for around $80.

Nushif
September 9, 2010, 12:05 AM
Oh yeah, definitely time to upgrade the sights. 8) Maybe some fiber optics?

writerinmo
September 9, 2010, 12:37 AM
One of the guys over on the S&W forum said to call customer service up and raise cain about it, he did and they sent him a bolt-in nightsight pretty much like the Glock Hiviz is, so I will try that first. If not, the fiber optic HiViz is cheap enough and comes with like 6 of the 'tubes', 3 green 3 red. Wonder if they expect you to break them?

ET
September 9, 2010, 08:34 AM
One of the guys over on the S&W forum said to call customer service up and raise cain about it, he did and they sent him a bolt-in nightsight pretty much like the Glock Hiviz is, so I will try that first. If not, the fiber optic HiViz is cheap enough and comes with like 6 of the 'tubes', 3 green 3 red. Wonder if they expect you to break them?

They probably think you will lose them.

writerinmo
September 9, 2010, 09:39 AM
Well, they say they don't have any sights they can mail out for the "older" pistols... I bought this last summer and I guess since they brought out the SD line these are obsolete or something. I told the customer service guy I guessed it is gonna be part Glock now unless I win the lottery soon and can spring for some night sights! I have the stuff available to machine one, just not sure how to retain it to the slide. Hate to epoxy it, but might try it, the clearance between the slide and barrel is not much! The good thing is that I could make it the right height that way!

denfoote
September 9, 2010, 03:57 PM
Sigma stock sights are a factory replacement.
The front sight came off my SW40F.
Call Smith have them send a slip or do what I'm gonna do: ship it myself USPS Priority. The replacement is free.

writerinmo
September 9, 2010, 04:48 PM
I'm thinking fiber optics at this point. I found some threads regarding using one for the Glock, and have a pretty good shop setup as far as small files and such, I may get some FO tubes and work up a few of my own to get the POI where I want it.

contender
September 9, 2010, 07:25 PM
just send the slide..........

it would not be considered a firearm and would not require over-nite........

writerinmo
September 10, 2010, 12:28 AM
I ordered the HiViz Glock front sight just for the heck of it. Will post up some pics and a range report when I get it in, shipping says 5-8 days.

harmon rabb
September 10, 2010, 06:12 AM
It's a smith. Call them and let them know what happened. They'll probably pay shipping both ways, install night sights on it for free, and apologize for the inconvenience. If you haven't had them clean up the trigger yet, bitch about that too, and they'll do a trigger job for free while they have it.

If it was a gun from a company with poor customer service, I'd say do it yourself, but luckily for you this is not the case.

If you enjoyed reading about "SW40VE front sight" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!