Glock sales skyrocket.

PDA

REAPER4206969
September 9, 2010, 01:47 PM
Handgun maker Glock Inc. reported Friday its sales for the first quarter of 2010 spiked 71 percent.
http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/stories/2009/07/06/daily93.html

If you enjoyed reading about "Glock sales skyrocket." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Nushif
September 9, 2010, 01:56 PM
O.o Why specifically Glock ...

No other companies are getting consumer love?

oasis618
September 9, 2010, 02:00 PM
:eek:

bg226
September 9, 2010, 02:00 PM
Glock kept price stability while other companies had to raise prices to keep up with demand.

AWorthyOpponent
September 9, 2010, 02:03 PM
Perhaps this has something to do with the release of the Gen4's I know that I waited until the Gen4 19 came out to buy my next.

REAPER4206969
September 9, 2010, 02:05 PM
All your base are belong to us!
How fitting...

KodiakBeer
September 9, 2010, 02:07 PM
Glock kept price stability while other companies had to raise prices to keep up with demand.

Easy to do if you make a gun out of plastic and cheap metal stampings and then sell it for $500 plus...

JoeMal
September 9, 2010, 02:12 PM
I would estimate it's due to the Gen4 release

Easy to do if you make a gun out of plastic and cheap metal stampings and then sell it for $500 plus... Cheap?? I think not...this thread isn't a Glock bashing thread last I checked...

Grey Morel
September 9, 2010, 02:50 PM

THIS.

You can get NEW Glocks, in a real Brick & Mortar STORE, for less than $500 now.

Kodiak Bear needs to wake up and head on down to the gun store: apparently, a LOT has happened since he went into hibernation.

Bullnettles
September 9, 2010, 03:03 PM
Does the FBI order have anything to do with these numbers? If so, that isn't surprising. Kodiak, that's just where they get the 71 points of profit :). Selling that many is a whole other animal.

Birdmang
September 9, 2010, 03:12 PM
No brick and mortar store in ILLINOIS has BNIB Glocks for less than $500.

TriTone
September 9, 2010, 03:19 PM
I was thinking the same thing Bullnettles, maybe the FBI order has something to do with this, combined with the Gen 4 release...

schmeky
September 9, 2010, 03:23 PM
A Glock is basically the original mass produced polymer (I know there were others before Glock); you can't watch a TV show or see a movie w/o seeing a Glock. Lots of young children even know the name.

Most folks want an original (Glock), you have to sell most polymer buyers on an M&P, FNP, XD, etc. Glocks are reliable, don't have any external safeties or buttons to push to make them go. Every gun store in my area has a big Glock banner tacked to the store front. Everybody sells them.

They have held their price pretty well and have good resale. Plus they practically give them away to law enforcement agencies. Yea, I don't doubt their sales are up.

Plus, Obama has been their best sales person for nearly 2 years now.

beeenbag
September 9, 2010, 04:38 PM
No brick and mortar store in ILLINOIS has BNIB Glocks for less than $500.

every glock in my LGS is wearing a nice $480 price tag. Thats in eastern Ky though.

wow6599
September 9, 2010, 04:41 PM
All around $550 here, give or take a few $ depending on the model.

AZGlock13
September 9, 2010, 04:47 PM
breather, great pic of Moses (Charlton) with the Ten Glock Commandments.;)

They must of landed some more big LE contracts recently here in the U.S., I guess. The two big brands carried by LEs down here in AZ are Glock and Sig. Now if you go on to most military installations (post, base, camp, etc.), Beretta is king with the LEs there.

DasFriek
September 9, 2010, 04:52 PM
Whew, They didnt need my one sale to stay in business, Since i bought an XD instead.
Ill still take a G29 pls.

WardenWolf
September 9, 2010, 04:54 PM
Glock has better marketing and its name is better known. Regardless of all the hype, they're not a very good gun. They're "good enough" for most people, but I wouldn't call them great; there's better guns in the price range, such as the Springfield XD. I know enough about Glocks that they frankly scare me. Too many can fire out of battery and they encourage case blowouts with an unsupported chamber.

Lakeshore
September 9, 2010, 05:10 PM
And it only gets better for them. Glock yesterday was awarded a 10 year-$40 million contract by the U.S. Government to furnish pistols to BATF agents.

Full Metal Jacket
September 9, 2010, 05:15 PM

doubtful. gen3's are still outselling them by far at my local shops.

ForumSurfer
September 9, 2010, 05:19 PM
Handgun maker Glock Inc. reported Friday its sales for the first quarter of 2010 spiked 71 percent.

Perhaps this has something to do with the release of the Gen4's

I don't think the gen4's (19 and 23 anyway) were in stores until the 2nd quarter of '10, so they wouldn't be reflected in the 1st quarter sales? :confused: The Gen4 17 and 22's have been out since last year.

I remember holding out and holding out until I gave up and bought a gen3 rtf2. My paperwork is at home in the safe...I'll have to check later...

lions
September 9, 2010, 05:23 PM

doubtful. gen3's are still outselling them by far at my local shops.

Perhaps people fear the Gen3s will be phased out and want to buy one before that happens. It is possible the Gen4 is inadvertently boosting sales of the Gen3.

ny32182
September 9, 2010, 05:24 PM
Kind of surprising considering the quarter they are comparing against would be Q1 '09, which was right in the teeth of the gun panic, and US civilian sales should have been through the roof.

I guess it is just a testament to how much of their business is really police/mil contract driven. They were likely filling some large contract somewhere; that is likely the only thing that would account for that kind of swing.

I doubt the "highly publicized" FBI order for a whooping 2000 units is even a drop in the bucket.

Full Metal Jacket
September 9, 2010, 05:47 PM
Perhaps people fear the Gen3s will be phased out and want to buy one before that happens. It is possible the Gen4 is inadvertently boosting sales of the Gen3.

interesting point. :)

many people may not realize the gen3's are the most popular pistols in the world, and for glock to discontinue them would be nothing short of corporate suicide.

JohnBiltz
September 9, 2010, 06:31 PM
Wow, the haters are really offended, like its personal or something.

The Lone Haranguer
September 9, 2010, 06:41 PM
Are sales to law enforcement (notably the recent ones to the FBI and BATFE) included in the figures? A look at the numbers for civilian sales only would be interesting.

WC145
September 9, 2010, 06:50 PM
Friday, July 10, 2009
Glock sales skyrocket
Atlanta Business Chronicle

The article is dated July 10, 2009 - how would they know what the 1st quarter 2010 sales were?

RyanH1
September 9, 2010, 07:11 PM
Like WC145 said, the article is dated 2009, not 2010. Seems like that sarcasm might have backfired on you.

REAPER4206969
September 9, 2010, 07:29 PM
Perhaps people fear the Gen3s will be phased out and want to buy one before that happens.
GEN3 is not going anywhere. This is straight from Glock, Deutsch-Wagram, Austria:

# There is absolutely no intention of terminating Gen3 production.

# Gen4 was developed because of perceived market demand; Glock does not see a real LE/Mil need for the Gen4.http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=5&f=13&t=91249&page=3

pvthouse
September 9, 2010, 07:50 PM
I love the haters. I wonder if the one on page one has ever owned a glock or actually read up on them. Mine has been wonderful since day one. Not a single ftf or fte. But that is awesome for glock.

EddieNFL
September 9, 2010, 08:18 PM
You can get NEW Glocks, in a real Brick & Mortar STORE, for less than $500 now.

Locally, $438 out the door...if you are LE or have a .mil ID.

Carter
September 9, 2010, 08:21 PM
No worries, we'll just let it disappear into cyberspace.

Nothing disappears in to cyber space. It goes the an all seeing and knowing AI deep under the pentagon for further analysis.
:neener:

CDR_Glock
September 9, 2010, 08:23 PM
That's good! Welcome to the brotherhood of Glock.

I only have 2 Glocks but they are so fun to shoot. I have 2 1911s and they are also wonderful pistols for plinking.

wow6599
September 9, 2010, 08:52 PM
This makes more sense than anything.

Rembrandt
September 9, 2010, 09:02 PM
Numbers may be misleading......most assume 71% increase is because of something Glock has done. It may be that other companies are showing similar increases....which would imply a run on all types of guns.

Red Cent
September 9, 2010, 09:13 PM
The Gen4s are getting a lot of bad press concerning the new double spring assembly. Glock issued a "fix" for the models who were breaking assemblies or failing to cycle. If you get a Gen4, be sure to find out what models are affected and make sure they have the "corrected" spring assemblies.

kwelz
September 9, 2010, 09:26 PM

Yes, but mainly because people are buying all the previous Gen guns they can before they are gone. So far Gen 4 have been a disappointment.

Full Metal Jacket
September 9, 2010, 11:35 PM
[The Gen4s are getting a lot of bad press concerning the new double spring assembly. Glock issued a "fix" for the models who were breaking assemblies or failing to cycle. If you get a Gen4, be sure to find out what models are affected and make sure they have the "corrected" spring assemblies.

people are reporting the same issues with the updated 02 spring too. Your best option To avoid a headache is to buy a gen3.

Deaf Smith
September 9, 2010, 11:41 PM
Interesting on Glock sales. Might be sales to LEOs, local, state, and federal.

I do know CCW licenses are up so maybe that's part of the demand.

I haven't bought any recently (but then I have a good selection already of them!)

Deaf

357reloading
September 9, 2010, 11:59 PM
i have a glock 17Long and a Glock 29 . For the 29 I purchased a 40 S&W conversion and the 10MM lone wolf . so i can shoot lead in either caliber. I am so pleased with my Glocks can see no real reason to keep my two 357 revolvers, one 38 special revolver.

harmon rabb
September 10, 2010, 07:15 AM
Did anyone catch that Glock is going to be manufacturing guns in the US? Know what this means? No need to deal with stupid import compliance laws -- so Glock can finally compete with Kahr if they want to. Hell yeah.

JoeMal
September 10, 2010, 10:05 AM
Perhaps people fear the Gen3s will be phased out and want to buy one before that happens. It is possible the Gen4 is inadvertently boosting sales of the Gen3. Great idea....could very well have influenced the sales also

EdLaver
September 10, 2010, 10:12 AM
I noticed a price spike as well, I was seeing new ones sell for $489, now they are $550. Lots of armed American citizens out there, its a beautiful thing.

Full Metal Jacket
September 10, 2010, 10:13 AM
I noticed a price spike as well, I was seeing new ones sell for $489, now they are $550. Lots of armed American citizens out there, its a beautiful thing.

the gen4's have always been a little more expensive in my area, but the gen3 prices have remained the same.

REAPER4206969
September 10, 2010, 10:42 AM
but the gen3 prices have remained the same.
Same here. $499-$550. Around $650 for the 17L/24/34/35.

leadcounsel
September 10, 2010, 11:50 AM
Love Glocks. Own many, shot many, and observed many being fired. In the thousands upon thousands of rounds fired by myself or others I've observed, I've NEVER witnessed any problem (except 1, caused by an overpressurized handload). No failures, no jams, not anything but flawless mechanics and accurate shooting.

357reloading
September 10, 2010, 12:06 PM
Own two glocks . no reason for me to every buy more guns. unless the fever hits.

Someone mentioned how some get angry and rude when they see disagreement with their version of truth about a hand gun. Very true. on a different forum commented on a 32 cal make and how it was picky about ammo. Got cursed out as much as can be done online, and called many unwelcomed names.

figured they were getting stroked on the side or just nut cases.
lots of biased people in the world of hand guns.

Omaha-BeenGlockin
September 10, 2010, 01:53 PM
Another Gen 3 G19 will be on my radar when I get the cash up.

Dnaltrop
September 10, 2010, 02:04 PM
For the folks with the "Glock factory In the US" thoughts...

Pardon the Glock noob, but I thought that unless the EPA changed their rules (arsenic acids) , the Tennifer process was illlegal to use on US soil, rendering any Glock factory here a pipe dream.

Would Glock deal with shipping the parts after the Tennifer process, to assemble in the USA?

Omaha-BeenGlockin
September 10, 2010, 03:12 PM
I hope they don't bring it to the US---they'll go down the tubes like Sig did.

lambertiana
September 10, 2010, 03:31 PM
All you guys quoting prices are making me jealous. Here in Kommifornia, I can't find any B&M Glock for under $600. Add state transfer fees, the legally required trigger lock (having many at home already and also a big gun safe does not exempt me from the requirement), and sales tax, and you are talking $700 minimum for any Glock, usually closer to $750. I want to add a G27 to the stable, but that will have to wait for now.

All other brands are also priced much higher than national average. I bought my son a P220 a couple years ago, that was a tough pill to swallow. And although I would love to get an HK USP compact, right now I don't have $1200 to put into one.

DustyVermonter
September 11, 2010, 12:59 AM
Kind of surprising considering the quarter they are comparing against would be Q1 '09, which was right in the teeth of the gun panic, and US civilian sales should have been through the roof.

I guess it is just a testament to how much of their business is really police/mil contract driven. They were likely filling some large contract somewhere; that is likely the only thing that would account for that kind of swing.

I doubt the "highly publicized" FBI order for a whooping 2000 units is even a drop in the bucket.

If they issued 2000 Glocks a year for 10 years of the $40,000,000 contract they would cost $2,000 for one pistol. I must be missing something here

But Glocks? Oh yea they break all the time, absolute pure trash, I hate those damn things!!!(Sarcasm)

It strikes me funny, these arrogant, cocky, know it all types.......They are so hyper-anylytical and often accurate about certain topics but they are sooo critical and surprisingly left brain and ignorant about anything that doesn't strike their fancy.

It is truly ignorant to try to deny Glocks of their nearly indestructable reputation, the terms "plastic" and "cheap metal stampings" probably don't apply to your Sig's, XD's, HK's right, I mean those are made up of a polymer composite and CNC machined steel right?

Quote: "Not a good gun".

I have to ask, what do you carry or consider a "good gun" and has it ever been test fired 1,000,000 without a malfunction?

Full Metal Jacket
September 11, 2010, 01:35 AM
I hope they don't bring it to the US---they'll go down the tubes like Sig did.

Glock's been making full guns in Smyrna, GA for several years now. they are mainly exported, but do show up in local shops from time to time.

atblis
September 11, 2010, 02:24 AM
You guys ever wonder where these bloody things go to. I mean, they don't go bad over time, the vast majority are never shot any where near enough to be worn out. They sell new ones all the time. Police trade-ins are readily available. etc. etc.

If you figure in all the other quality pistols out there too, at some point the market should saturate. How many service grade 9s/40s does one person need?

P30shtr
September 11, 2010, 03:14 AM
Quote:
Easy to do if you make a gun out of plastic and cheap metal stampings and then sell it for $500 plus..

^^^And dont change a thing except recoil spring and an adjustable backstrap :) Dont everyone get all mad, I know not a bashing thread. I have a Gen 3 19, just saying

rtz
September 11, 2010, 05:02 AM
I want to buy a Glock 19 at LE price.

Edit:

Nice.....

$35 to join and can get one per year at $425...... Check out the prices for the rest of the models.

http://www.gssfonline.com/GSSF_Pistol_Purchase_Program_Information.pdf

Radagast
September 11, 2010, 05:02 AM
atblis:
Probably into bed side tables. Think about the number of S&W Military & Police revolvers manufactured over the years, well over four million, but they still sell today. Ditto lever action rifles in .30-30, some 12 million Winchesters alone.
The number of house holds without a handgun probably still out numbers the ones with a hand gun, so the market continues to exist, especially with more and more people being aware of the second amendment as an actual right and not a quaint legal anachronism.

The thing to remember is we are a self selecting community, even those of us without multiple guns are interested in learning more. The majority of gun owners aren't. They buy their insurance policy and put it away against possible future need and that is that.

Full Metal Jacket
September 11, 2010, 05:43 AM
I want to buy a Glock 19 at LE price.

Edit:

Nice.....

$35 to join and can get one per year at $425...... Check out the prices for the rest of the models.

that's not LE pricing. the GSSF just reduced the discount amount this year, so you no longer get the cheaper LE pricing. after you spend the $35 for the membership, you're maybe saving like $20 off the gun.

if you don't have any interest in anything else GSSF has to offer, and just wanted the discount, it's hardly worth it anymore. (unless you wanted the models that come with three mags + the $20 savings isn't bad, but non of the subcompacts come with 3 mags).

CDW4ME
September 11, 2010, 09:00 AM
Glock sales skyrocketed because they are supposedly dropping OD models, so bunch of people went and bought the soon to be collectable OD Glocks. :D

The remaining OD models sold despite the fact that REAPER4206969 started threads that claimed OD models had less resistance to UV / durability. ;) http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=528997

Full Metal Jacket
September 11, 2010, 09:09 AM
The remaining OD models sold despite the fact that REAPER4206969 started threads that claimed OD models had less resistance to UV / durability. http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=528997

you're a little confused there, buddy.

reaper made no mention of your conspiracy theory concerning OD glocks--you did. :scrutiny:

Onmilo
September 11, 2010, 10:19 AM
I a virtual sea of ho-hum handguns, the Glock is far and away the very best in ho hum on the market.
Good prices, reliabie, acceptably accurate, inexpensive spare magazines that are available just about everywhere, lots of aftermarket sight options the list goes on and on.

Now if I could just get the jackasses to make a G20 in a 6" longslide version,,,

Zerodefect
September 11, 2010, 01:44 PM
Yeah, or a 6" G21!!!!

CDW4ME
September 11, 2010, 03:53 PM
you're a little confused there, buddy.

reaper made no mention of your conspiracy theory concerning OD glocks--you did. :scrutiny:
I'm not confused, and it's not my theory. He started the thread I inserted a link to. You would have to read the other thread.
That was my attempt at humor by referencing his prior thread and attempting to make a connectionion to this one, as usual my attempts at humor fail.

BTY I have OD glocks, all 3rd generation.

Snarlingiron
September 11, 2010, 07:11 PM
Pardon the Glock noob, but I thought that unless the EPA changed their rules (arsenic acids) , the Tennifer process was illlegal to use on US soil, rendering any Glock factory here a pipe dream.

Just attended a Glock Armorer's class and the instructor told us that Glock has come up with a modification of the Tennifer process that eliminates the production of toxic gas byproducts and has thus has begun complete production of the pistols in Smyrna, Ga.

JohnBT
September 11, 2010, 07:27 PM
Anybody got any sales figures from 2010? That article was from July, 2009.

Someboyd must have been buying guns with their stimulus check or something. Did we get checks in 2009?

gym
September 11, 2010, 11:51 PM
Value

TG13
September 12, 2010, 09:02 AM
GLOCK should make a 1911..

SpodWo
September 12, 2010, 10:51 AM
Anybody got any sales figures from 2010? That article was from July, 2009.

Everyones firearm sales were up in 2009 so the significance on this article is more contigent if Glock has increased market share through 2010. Increased sales are important but increased sales and increased market share is MUCH more significant. Other Firearm companies made more money the first half of 2009 also....

Note analysis on S&W regarding 2009...

From recent article in Business week...link here...

http://www.businessweek.com/ap/financialnews/D9I55M380.htm

THE BIG PICTURE: A year ago, firearms sales jumped to a quarterly company record as gun buyers stocked up because of worries about potential new gun control regulations. The company said its dealers and distributors are now ordering more cautiously and keeping inventories tight because of the uncertain economy.

gym
September 12, 2010, 01:41 PM
If Glock really wanted to take over even more market share, they would offer a saftey as an option. The only reason some folks don't buy them is "that" reason. Forget the reasons why they don't, if they did, I would bet they would sell 30% more guns right off the bat. They could still offer them both ways, or just do it on one model in each caliber. It would really squash much of their competition. How many times have we all heard, "I would buy one if it had a saftey", or "I am afraid to carry it chambered".I know I have heard it hundreds of times over the last 20 years. It's a cheap way to make money doing very little.

Tecolote
September 12, 2010, 05:07 PM
Glock does offer a factory installed safety for agencies that ask for it. I don't know why it's not an option on US sold Glocks but I suspect it might have something to do with fear of frivolous lawsuits. I can see it now, "of course the Glock went off by itself, it didn't have a safety like the one you sell on your other Glocks."

Glocks made in Smyrna cannot be exported outside of the US. Glock has different subdivisions that handle world markets. Glocks sold outside of the US are entirely Austrian made and assembled. There's a rumor going that Glock might build a factory in Brazil to meet the demand of the Brazilian national police and a possible adoption by the Brazilian military.

fastbolt
September 12, 2010, 06:17 PM
It's hardly surprising Glock enjoyed a surge in sales last year in the 1st quarter of the 2010 business year. It was reportedly an industry-wide trend. ;)

Now, more than a year later, sales have apparently cooled industry-wide. Not exactly a surprise, especially in this economy.

Since Glock is a privately held company it doesn't publish sales figures or financial information (unlike, say, S&W, which is publicly traded).

I'm sure the award of the maximum $40M contract for BATFE will be good for Glock, as well as for S&W, who was awarded a similar contract.

It all depends on how much profit is realized, though. For example, the J-frame line generates a lot of sales for S&W, being one of their most popular selling product lines, but their investor reports have mentioned that this product line has reduced profitability because of the manufacturing cost versus selling price point. It seems likely that LE/Gov sales generate less profit for companies than commercial/retail sales.

If you enjoyed reading about "Glock sales skyrocket." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!