Hi Cap Magazines Worth It?

PDA

hopper
September 9, 2010, 04:41 PM
What are your general feelings about high capacity mags? Is it worth spending the ~$30+ on 3 more rounds? Worth spending twice as much to buy factory mags over aftermarket? Do you like flush floorplates or the extended kind?

I have a Sig p226 with 2x MecGar 12 round magazines that came with the gun. Sig offers a 15 round magazine and so does MecGar for half the price. I don't even know if I can justify spending the extra $30 per magazine for 3 more rounds (although some will argue that those extra 3 rounds could be the ones that make the difference when you really need them). Maybe if the gun had come with the factory 10 rd mags...

I'm not looking for input to make a decision by, just wondering what your opinions are since I have been thinking about it for a while.

If you enjoyed reading about "Hi Cap Magazines Worth It?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
September 9, 2010, 04:51 PM
Hi-Cap mags worth it?
Only if you plan to miss a lot.

Aftermarket mags worth saving $15.00 bucks a mag?
Hell NO!

With few exceptions, Factory mags work.
The same cannot be said of a lot of after-market mags.

Personally, I would rather have standard factory mags that work 100%, then all the after-market hi-caps in the world.

rc

hopper
September 9, 2010, 05:14 PM
I was leary about my gun coming with the mecgar mags after reading a few reviews about misfeeding with them. But online reviews count for jack **** in my book seeing as companies pay their employees to spread propaganda like that. Someone even said the mecgars lock into place "better than factory." Dunno about that...

I haven't had a misfeed at the range yet but I've only put a few hundred rounds through it so far. If I wanted to buy factory mags from Sig I'd be looking at $44-60 per mag. So the decision is, +3 capacity for an extra $15?

rcmodel
September 9, 2010, 05:35 PM
Mec-Gars aren't better or worse then factory.

They are factory.

Mec-Gar makes or has made the factory OEM mags for Beretta, FN & Browning, Charles Daly, Colt, CZ, IMI, Kel-Tec, Kimber, NAA, Remington, Ruger, SIG, Smith & Wesson, Springfield Armory, STI, Tanfoglio, Taurus, Walther, and others.

Hardly any manufacture makes thier own OEM mags because Mec-Gar can do it better, cheaper.

rc

hopper
September 9, 2010, 06:41 PM
So it's just Sig trying to get you to spend more money buying the Sig mags? They are the exact same minus the stamping and the coating? I guess I am confused as to why I hear comments about the Mec-Gar mags coated with the glossy-looking low resistance finish misfeeding compared to the Sig mags with the duller finish, or about the Mec-Gar mags fitting "better."

rcmodel
September 9, 2010, 06:47 PM
The thing is, the gun manufacture tells Mec-Gar what to make, and the price they are willing to pay.

Mec-Gar just makes what they agree on according to the blueprints & finish specs the factory sends them.

I suppose you may find OEM's made by Mec-Gar work better then after-market Mec-Gar's spec'ed by them, but your milage may vary.

I have never had any problems with them.
I sure can't say the same about a lot of other after-market brands.

rc

stchman
September 9, 2010, 06:57 PM
IMO, the only aftermarket mag worth a %^$* is Mec-Gar. Mec-Gar make the OEM mags for Kel-Tec and Sig.

As far as extra capacity, get them.

Onward Allusion
September 9, 2010, 06:58 PM
MecGar and Factory are the only two types I use in my SD weapons, and no - I do not work for MecGar. For the range, Eagle/Ramline or ProMag will suffice.

hopper (http://www.thehighroad.org/member.php?u=129592)
http://www.thehighroad.org/images/icons/icon5.gif Hi Cap Magazines Worth It?

rromeo
September 9, 2010, 07:23 PM
With few exceptions, Factory mags work.
The same cannot be said of a lot of after-market mags.
The few exceptions include almost every 1911.

wally
September 9, 2010, 11:06 PM
Aftermarket mags, with the exception of Mec-Gar 99% of the time they are junk!

The few exceptions include almost every 1911
If they can't get a single stack controlled feed magazine right there is truly no hope for them!

dacavasi
September 10, 2010, 12:47 AM
I can only speak to the quality of a certain aftermarket mag manufacturere with the initials 'P.M'...
They are, in my experience, absolute junk, and I wouldn't trust them for even so benign of a pastime as plinking, let alone depend on them for my life. My experience is based upon having 'tried' them for my SKS, my Taurus PT145, and my AK....
YMMV...

wideym
September 10, 2010, 06:38 AM
Mecgar are the best "aftermarket" mags out there, all others are hit or miss on reliablity. That said I still prefer factory mags, but Mecgar's are pretty much factory for many pistols.

I will addmit to buying three HK USP .45ACP mags for $90 apiece during the AWB because I didn't think the AWB would expire and it just offended me that 10 rounders cost $60. Luckily I sold the mags a year before the AWB ended for the price I paid.

If you enjoyed reading about "Hi Cap Magazines Worth It?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!