Pigeons

PDA

Blue Brick
September 9, 2010, 04:48 PM
Is barnyard pigeons ok or good to eat? Compared to dove?

If you enjoyed reading about "Pigeons" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
shiftyer1
September 9, 2010, 04:55 PM
common pigeons are also called rock doves i believe and can be eaten

Ditch-Tiger
September 9, 2010, 05:20 PM
They're made of meat, right?

Captcurt
September 9, 2010, 05:43 PM
I raised pigeons when I was in my teens. They are very good, especially the young ones. You will pay top dollar for squab in a fancy resturant.

Coyote3855
September 9, 2010, 06:02 PM
Young ones are pretty good. We boned out the breasts like mourning doves. Old ones can get tough and stringy. But then back when I was a poor boy on the ranch, we ate our share of jackrabbit and carp. Pigeons are better.

rondog
September 9, 2010, 07:10 PM
Yew might be a redneck.......

chas08
September 9, 2010, 07:34 PM
Is barnyard pigeons ok or good to eat? Compared to dove?
Some of the guys I hunt dove with eat 'em. I don't because I see so many dead and diseased ones around the Plant where I work. I wouldn't eat chicken for a month or more after we slaughtered them when I was a kid either.

Floppy_D
September 9, 2010, 09:02 PM
Pretty close to dove, and referred to as "rock dove" as mentioned earlier. They eat better out in the sticks, though I've never eaten city pigeon to compare them to. I like them but in my defense, there's a flock of peacocks loitering in my neighborhood that I've considered. :D

Blue Brick
September 10, 2010, 04:40 PM
Going hunting tonight........

DRYHUMOR
September 10, 2010, 06:05 PM
Just as tasty, breast is twice as big as a doves. Just make sure it's legal to pull the trigger on em.

oneounceload
September 10, 2010, 07:13 PM
Pretty close to dove, and referred to as "rock dove"

Around here we call them "rats with wings"............good to shoot.............

Roughneck08
September 11, 2010, 01:30 AM
Agreed. They are rock dove, in the dove family. I new some folk that lived on the other side of the rail road tracks, and yep pellet gun and some pigeons you had dinner. Very eatable.

MCgunner
September 11, 2010, 10:19 AM
They seem to be more an urban bird. Don't see 'em much when I'm dove hunting. I'd eat one, see no reason not to. Just a big dove.

JohnBT
September 11, 2010, 10:20 AM
When Ernest Hemingway lived in Paris in the 1920s he was poor. It is rumored that he when he visited the Palais du Luxembourg, with its gardens and 19th century park furniture, he captured pigeons off the furniture for dinner.

:)

If you enjoyed reading about "Pigeons" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!