"tactical" electronic hearing protection

PDA

GMHAYESUSN
September 9, 2010, 06:39 PM
Me and a few other guys are getting ready to leave our tech schools and head out to our various duty stations/ships in the fleet and were starting to look at hearing protection since 90% of our job is weapons related and i was wondering if anyone had suggestions as far as electronic hearing protection (pref in ear) that is capable of everything up to .50 BMG and possibly up to 25mike-mike and some of our other crew served weapons anyone have suggestions?

If you enjoyed reading about ""tactical" electronic hearing protection" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Rail Driver
September 9, 2010, 06:41 PM
I'd recommend muffs and/or plugs rather than shelling out 60+ on an in the ear device that could fail at the wrong time. *edit: too many zeroes! oops!

http://www.amazon.com/SureFire-Defenders-Hearing-Protection-Earpieces/dp/B0012XUXYW/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1284068544&sr=8-6 <-- I've used these successfully when firing .50BMG and various small arms calibers. With muffs I don't see why they wouldn't work for larger mounted machineguns and other crew served weapons.

THEZACHARIAS
September 9, 2010, 10:50 PM
Depending on your unit, they might already have top of the line hearing protection. A couple of the active duty units I've visited, and even one of the guard units I trained with a while back had some top of the line electronic Peltor headsets that where truly awesome. Wouldn't want to have to pay for one of those on a junior enlisted salary, though.

If you enjoyed reading about ""tactical" electronic hearing protection" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!