Toys 'R' Us: Boycott.

PDA

thx997303
September 10, 2010, 03:04 PM
I was in toys r us yesterday, open carrying as usual.

My wife spoke with an employee about a toy, and the employee spoke to her and left.

After she left, my daughter was playing with the toy train display they have, and I was approached by the same employee.

She informed me that they don't allow guns in the store, it is a new policy, and that there was a sign posted on the door.

I responded "Ok, I better go stop my wife from spending money here then."

I picked up my daughter, and approached my wife, and from about 15 ft away told her "Don't buy that, they are anti gun."

Several people were standing at the checkout line and heard me say that. Not sure what they thought.

My wife expressed concern, since we wanted to buy a toy for my daughter, so I assured her (loudly, but not overly so) "Don't worry, we'll buy the same toy from a place that respects our rights."

We left. On the way out I verified that there is a no firearms sign on the door.

As such, I will be writing a letter to toys 'r' us detailing my disappointment in their policy, and asking if it is a national policy or if this local store is acting on it's own. I will also be informing them that I will not be spending money in their stores unless and until they fix their policies.

I ask others to join me until this is resolved.

http://i312.photobucket.com/albums/ll331/thx997303/sign.jpg

This is the text of an email I sent to Toys 'R' Us.

To whom it may concern,

Earlier today I was open carrying a firearm in accordance with Utah law in the Orem, Utah Toys 'R' Us store.

I was going to buy a toy for my daughter, but before I was able to, I was informed by an employee that I could not have my firearm in the store. I was further informed there is a sign to that effect on the front door of the store.

I replied that I would leave, and not spend any money there. I put the toy back and left.

I went to a local Wal-Mart and bought the exact same toy there, despite the slightly higher price.

I am a concealed carry permit holder, and carry a firearm for defense of myself and my family.

I would like to inquire if this is a corporate policy, or if this might be an individual store doing it's own thing.

Pending your response, I will not be spending any money in any Toys 'R' Us stores, or Babies 'R' Us stores.

I will also being asking members of www.utahconcealedcarry.com and www.opencarry.org as well as everyone with whom I regularly associate with, to join me in such a boycott.

I would appreciate a timely reply on this matter.

Sincerly,

Thx.

If you enjoyed reading about "Toys 'R' Us: Boycott." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
thx997303
September 10, 2010, 04:16 PM
I just got off the phone with Mike, a manager at the Orem TRU location.

According to Mike, the no guns policy is a new policy that was enacted as little as 2 weeks ago. That is when they received their sign and instructions to post it.

The new policy is from corporate.

Mike expressed that he doesn't like the policy, and will e-mail the district manager on my behalf, and will notify me of the response.

It appears we have support even within TRU itself.

smhbbag1
September 10, 2010, 04:23 PM
Keep us posted.

hawkass13
September 10, 2010, 04:31 PM
Thanks for the heads up.

Yo Mama
September 10, 2010, 04:44 PM
1-800-toysrus

Called local and national and let them know.

So fricking stupid, so I'll leave my gun in the car so a criminal can break into my car get the gun and go into the store.

thx997303
September 10, 2010, 05:25 PM
I got a response from TRU.

Response (Richard Latner) - 09/10/2010 02:11 PM
Dear Mr. McDonald,

I have included a copy of the Corporate Policy Regarding Firearms in Stores:

General Company Policy on Firearms

• At Toys“R”Us, Inc., the safety and security of our customers and our employees is, and always has been, our highest priority.

• As a retailer that welcomes millions of kids and families into our stores across the country each year, we take our responsibility to create only the safest shopping environment very seriously.

• While we respect citizens’ rights to carry firearms in public areas according to certain state laws, our company policy prohibits customers from doing so in any of our stores out of an abundance of caution for the safety and protection of the children and families shopping with us.

• We make our customers aware of this policy by posting signs at the front of each of our Toys“R”Us and Babies“R”Us stores nationwide.

• It is also our policy not to sell any toy gun that could be mistaken for a real gun. Toys“R”Us was the first retailer in the U.S. to adopt this policy, which was established in 1994.

I hope this answers your questions for you and you continue to shop with Toys "R" Us. I apologize for any inconvenience.

Sincerely,

Rich Latner
Corporate Guest Relations

thx997303
September 10, 2010, 05:40 PM
Here is my response to Mr. Latner.

Mr. Latner,

There are several flaws in the reasoning behind this policy.

Perhaps you recall hearing about the Trolley Square shooting in Salt Lake City Utah.

Trolley Square was, and still is a posted "gun free zone" This failed to stop the shooter.

Perhaps you recall the Columbine shooting.

Per federal law, schools are gun free zones, this once again failed to stop the shooters.

What your corporation is creating is a "victim disarmament zone"

I refuse to shop anywhere that so ignorantly creates such a zone.

I have and will continue posting this information in various locations, and am calling for a nationwide boycott of Toys 'R' Us and Babies 'R' Us stores.

Here are links to the discussions I have posted on various gun related forums. As you will soon see, there is support for this boycott.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=92947

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?80532-Toys-R-Us-Boycott.

http://www.utahconcealedcarry.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=9505

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=543355

http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/rkba-news-information/158598-toys-r-us-boycott.html

You can rest assured that more forums will be notified of your policy and the boycott. These are merely the posts I have had time to post since the incident yesterday evening.

In this economy, it appears to be a horrible idea to alienate ANY customers at all.

Blockbuster is a fine example of the backlash such signs create.

I sincerely hope this matter can be resolved.

Sincerely,

Thx.

cl4de6
September 10, 2010, 08:53 PM
I wrote them and got the following reply:

Thank you for contacting the “R” Us Team.

At Toys “R” Us, Inc., the safety and security of our customers and our employees is, and always has been, our highest priority. As a retailer that welcomes millions of kids and families into our stores across the country each year, we take our responsibility to create only the safest shopping environment very seriously. While we respect citizens’ rights to carry firearms in public areas according to certain state laws, our company policy prohibits customers from doing so in any of our stores out of an abundance of caution for the safety and protection of the children and families shopping with us.

I won't be going there again. I don't live in a state that allows non-employment or non-politically connected carry, but I would hope you CCW guys would pull together for us sport shooters.

Funny that they would do this right before an IPO. The company had two straight years of profitability. I think they are about to get a dose of reality.

Aahzz
September 10, 2010, 09:12 PM
Just sent them this:

To Whom it may concern,

I have just been made aware that it is now a coporate policy of your stores to prohibit legally armed citizens from entering. I must inform you that I will happily buy toys for my children elsewhere from here on, as I carry a firearm legally for the protection of my family. The protection of my children is of highest importace to me, so I will not enter a store that feels I am not qualified to handle my own safety as well as that of my family. Policies like yours serve to keep law abiding citizens who have been trained, fingerprinted, and thoroughly background checked from entering your store, while doing nothing to deter any criminal element. I regret that I must curtail my dealings with you, but unless this policy changes I will not do business with any of the entities listed on your corporate information page.

Sincerely,
My legal name

Oh, and not in the email, but here's the page for all of the businesses they own:
http://www.toysrusinc.com/our-brands/

ndugu5
September 10, 2010, 09:36 PM
I’m staying away from there now. I can see the reason they think it would be a "Responsible” CYA policy, but I just don’t like the ignorance. I’ll shop elsewhere considering the signs I see here say “It is illegal to enter this establishment with the UNLAWFULL possession of a firearm.” And their corporate policy just bans them all together. Also, I am not speaking for everyone, but the people that are licensed to carry that I know, shoot more and train more than the police I know.
Food for thought:
To ban guns because criminals use them is to tell the innocent and law-abiding that their rights and liberties depend not on their own conduct, but on the conduct of the guilty and the lawless, and that the law will permit them to have only such rights and liberties as the lawless will allow... For society does not control crime, ever, by forcing the law-abiding to accommodate themselves to the expected behavior of criminals. Society controls crime by forcing the criminals to accommodate themselves to the expected behavior of the law-abiding.

jscott
September 10, 2010, 09:44 PM
My email to corporate:

My wife and I have been Toys R Us/Babies R Us consumers for several years. Having spent literally thousands of dollars in your stores, we were set to spend even more with the purchase of a crib and bedroom set for our child due in November of this year.

Unfortunately, I just heard of your anti-gun policies and verified the same by personally observing one of your signs indicating that the carrying of a firearm by a law-abiding citizen, even where specifically authorized by legal statute, in your stores is prohibited.

I have also read your corporation's response to similar concerns from other citizens. I am not interested in the same canned response so you may save the energy required of a written response.

Despite your corporate claims, having over 10 years of experience as a full-time police officer, I can assure you that your policy is not in the best interest of your customers. In sharp contrast, it is leaving the safety and security of yourselves, your customers, and the children you claim to care about in the hands of those who care the least - the armed criminals. You see, they do not care about your store policy.

While I have enjoyed your store and your products, I will not sacrifice my moral integrity by patronizing your corporation. I will encourage others to take the same stance as well.

If your policy should change to recognize the personal protection rights of law-abiding citizens, I would appreciate the notification so that I may once again patronize your business.

Regards, Joshua Scott

Jorg Nysgerrig
September 10, 2010, 09:48 PM
Gentlemen, please remember the mission of the activism forum. I've removed several posts that wanted to debate whether one should work for a company than doesn't allow open carry if one is going to boycott business who don't allow it. If you want to discuss things along those lines, the General Discussion forum would be a better place.

thx997303
September 10, 2010, 11:44 PM
I think maybe I should copy the receipt for all the toys I bought last night after being kicked out of TRU.

Something in the manner of $200 worth of toys I had intended to spend at TRU.

Another business got the money. Good for TRU.

VinnAY
September 11, 2010, 01:59 AM
I responded "Ok, I better go stop my wife from spending money here then."

I picked up my daughter, and approached my wife, and from about 15 ft away told her "Don't buy that, they are anti gun."

Several people were standing at the checkout line and heard me say that. Not sure what they thought.

My wife expressed concern, since we wanted to buy a toy for my daughter, so I assured her (loudly, but not overly so) "Don't worry, we'll buy the same toy from a place that respects our rights."

Making a scene isn't helpful. For any of us. I thought first-rule when confronted by these folks is not to make a scene. But whatever.
Second, private property, it's their choice. Your choice to not spend your money there and ask others no to as well...good on you for that.

But making a scene. Tsk Tsk...you know better than that. That only makes you (us) look like volatile people...with guns.

thx997303
September 11, 2010, 02:14 AM
Wasn't really a scene. And I was speaking in a calm and rational manner.

Just a bit louder than normal. It really wasn't on purpose, I was a little taken aback by the whole thing.

But you make a valid point.

Gouranga
September 11, 2010, 09:36 AM
Hey guys, can someone post up the contact info email/snail mail? I want to get in touch with them and direct a couple orgs I am a member of to do so as well.

Being the father of 4 children, I am going to make sure they see no revenue from my family.

answered by own question

Customer Relations:

1 (800) TOYSRUS
1 (800) 869-7787
contactus@toysrus.com

Media Relations:

1 (973) 617-5900
Press@toysrus.com
Corporate Sales: 1 (800) 353-8811

Russ Jackson
September 11, 2010, 11:46 AM

Several people were standing at the checkout line and heard me say that.

(loudly, but not overly so)

Maybe I was wrong in my assumption also because I read these comments as a scene at the front of the store. I guess I read to much into them. The vision I had in my head was one of people frantically gathering up kids, leaving store merchandise where you were at, and storming out the front door while a group of customers were standing in awe watching an upset customer with a gun feeling violated. Sorry about that....Russ

Bullnettles
September 11, 2010, 12:50 PM
Just sent an email with a request to search Suzanna Gratia and stating I won't be shopping there until they remove this policy. Didn't want to put a link and seem malicious.
Are the people who say anti-carry policies ok, are they trolls?

Kentucky_Rifleman
September 11, 2010, 01:03 PM
Oh, and...

Before we belittle the efforts of boycotters to sway business practices, please consider the sudden and complete reversal of Kroger's corporate policies regarding armed customers.

They had begun posting anti-carry signage and enforcing the new corporate anti-carry policy when the issue came to this forum and others. Lots of folks emailed and called, myself included. Kroger beat a pretty hasty retreat from their stance, and those of us who carry can again do so in Kroger stores.

Every victory matters, even the small ones.

KR

Mags
September 11, 2010, 01:37 PM
With our first child due in November I will be sure not to purchase from Babies or Toys R Us. I will also let them know about it.

TexasRifleman
September 11, 2010, 02:35 PM
Jorg posted above in #26 a reminder that this is the Activism forum, not the discussion forum.

The rules for this subforum are very specific. If you want to debate the MERITS of the Activism proposed start another thread.

This is the second reminder to do that. I've had to remove a few bickering posts as well.

Keep this on topic, please. Please start a discussion thread in Activism Discussion if you disagree with the action proposed.

Mags
September 11, 2010, 03:08 PM
Email SentGreetings,

It has come to my attention that Toys R Us recently had adopted a policy that prohibits the lawful carrying of firearms in your stores. My family is expecting our first child this fall and we will not register at Babies R Us or Toys R Us and my family will not make any future purchases at those stores until such policy is removed. I am active duty military and will spread the word of your anti-freedom policy to all military personnel I contact looking for products for their children. Please consider repealing this policy.

Thank You,

Mr.Davis
September 11, 2010, 03:56 PM
I sent in my own note. I don't shop there much, but now I'll shop there not at all. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

INOV8TN
September 11, 2010, 04:22 PM
We had a similiar dustup over a recently enacted no-guns policy in the Harris Teeter chain (upscale food & grocery - hundreds of stores - mostly in the southeast.

Grass Roots North Carolina (grnc.org - an uncompromising all-volunteer RKBA org) got involved and so did other orgs and unaffiliated folks in NC and elsewhere in the South East. Then Paul Vallone, President of GRNC.org called the Harris Teeter HQ and because of the intelligence gathering and 'softening up' accomplished by the other callers was able to get through to the presidents office. Vallone was on the phone with them for about 30 minutes and made it clear that GRNC could mobilize several hundred thousand gunowners in NC alone. (This was after a few hundred gun owners had turned in their 'VIC' (Very Important Customer) discount cards, called HT HQ and emailed HQ). HT HQ called back within 2 hrs and recinded the policy before some stores had implemented it.

I think this is a 'CYA' policy initiative that some enterprising actuarial consultant is floating to large companies. The actuarial logic is bogus and smacks of the junk science published by CDC during the Clinton administration.

Calm heads prevail.

Run a blitz on TRU. Copy receipts from competitors and send them snail mail, email, and call - work our way up from the 'Loss Prevention' department to the executive offices and when the revenue loss is noticible they will recind the policy.

Have fun and post often.

TRU is bigger than HT so the inertia will be greater but this is quite do-able.

Russ Jackson
September 11, 2010, 04:36 PM
With Christmas right around the corner this might prove to be interresting. Let's all get involved and see what we can do. I am in...Russ

Kentucky_Rifleman
September 11, 2010, 06:31 PM
TRU is bigger than HT so the inertia will be greater but this is quite do-able.

Absolutely. There are several instances of companies doing about-faces on policies when consumer pressure was brought to bear.

We also have the "advantage" of the crappy economy on our side. Retailers are looking for any ways they can find to pull in more customers and open more wallets. Last Christmas season was a bad one for most retailers, with several of the big-box stores showing much less profit than the year before.

This Christmas is lining up to be less than spectacular. Since TRU - like most retailers - has to get a chunk of their annual profits from the Christmas season, it seems like the next few months could be an incredibly fertile time for a boycott.

Personally, I'd like to see them go bankrupt like Circuit City, but I'm told I'm hostile and I carry grudges.

KR

hso
September 11, 2010, 07:36 PM
Let's be clear what the point of the discussion is about.

Toy R' Us has enacted a no carry policy for their stores and have posted them as firearms prohibited and an effort is needed to convince them to reverse this policy. How we found this out and what incident occurred isn't relevant at this point. The need is for a plan of action to bring Toys R' Us to remove the posting and permit legally carried firearms in their establishments.

If you have questions about open carry or the question of how someone may or may not behave in such a situation open a thread in Activism Discussion and don't derail the action needed in this thread. The sticky in this forum addressing posting requirements is there for everyone to read and it has twice now been mentioned that the discussion in Activism is limited to the plan of action. Other side bars and off topic issues should be discussed in Activism Discussion and will be deleted here. If the requirements are ignored repeatedly infractions will be issued.

frank einstein
September 12, 2010, 12:11 AM
Just emailed them, and will post the response at my local range.

hso
September 12, 2010, 08:46 AM
From PA Open Carry (http://paopencarry.org/no-guns-no-money-cards)
http://paopencarry.org/images/nogunscard_front.jpg

http://paopencarry.org/images/nogunscard_back.jpg

CHEVELLE427
September 12, 2010, 04:02 PM
letter sent,

WILL SPEND MY U.S MONEY AT A GUN FRIENDLY PLACE.

told them they wouldn't miss much of my money but if 1/3 of say 60 million gun owners pass, they will miss that.

lets see if i get a call from them

MikeNice
September 12, 2010, 05:07 PM
I sent a letter along to Babys R Us. I told them that I will be bringing back the car seat, toys,a nd other things I have bought in the last month. I also told them I will not shop at their store or any other store owned by Toys R US untill they change their policy on guns in the store.

Mr.Davis
September 12, 2010, 07:40 PM
The fact is Toys R Us is a privately owned company, regardless of whether or not Utah allows open carry a privately owned business can make their own rules. While it may be your right to carry it's a business's right to decide if they want to allow it or not.

If you don't agree with the rules that business wants to impose then the answer is simple, shop elsewhere.
That's the entire point of this thread.

Silently going elsewhere to shop will be ineffective in changing Toys R Us' policies about firearms. Reporting your displeasure en masse via a letterwriting campaign and then taking your money elsewhere has the potential to be effective.

Nobody's advocating stripping TRU of their private property rights - we're just talking about making them feel the righteous consequences of their misguided policy.

oneounceload
September 12, 2010, 08:40 PM
The fact is Toys R Us is a privately owned company

Incorrect - it is a publicly traded company - buy enough stock and you can change corporate thinking - otherwise, take your business to your local toy shop and support a mom and pop location.............that is, if you REALLY feel strongly about things.............or go to wally world

ATBackPackin
September 12, 2010, 08:55 PM
I do not shop there often, but it does happen so I would like to send them a letter. Do you think that a mass carbon copy letter or an individual though out letter would be more effective. I realize that the letter itself, if they even read it, is not what gets policies like this changed, but rather when they notice a drop in quarterly profits. Like someone said this is a publicly traded company and if they find out that the reason their profits are dropping is because of an idiotic no law abiding citizen policy, I bet it would be changed faster than Jerry Miculik can reload.

So should I use the carbon copy or write my own heartfelt letter?

Shawn

ATBackPackin
September 12, 2010, 09:21 PM
By not doing business with them will probably be more effective than sending them a letter that they will probably just ignore.

I agree completely, but I want them to know why they lost me as a customer.

I wonder how effective it would be for every time someone buys something that could have been bought at TRU to send the a copy of a receipt to show them exactly how much money they are losing. Of course they don't care about a single customer, but if a big part of the gun community does it I know it will add up.

Just a thought.

Shawn

TexasRifleman
September 13, 2010, 12:19 AM
Discussion bad, activism good.

PLEASE :)

AWorthyOpponent
September 13, 2010, 02:21 AM
Informed a friend about this and he had the pleasure of returning a $500 battery powered jeep today. He was asked why he wanted to return it (it was unused), and his response was "I meant to get the four wheel drive one with the shotgun rack in the back." in a joking manner. Everyone had a good laugh and after his money was refunded, he told the manager why he was taking his business to another company.

hso
September 13, 2010, 09:15 AM
Remember that for every family that shops at TRU and BRU that same family has endless relatives and friends of their kids that they have to purchase presents for. Each RKBA family that sends a letter to TRU explaining that permit holders are exactly the people they want in their stores should also point out that they have X cousins to buy for and their children have Y friends that will need birthday presents bought BUT because of TRU's policy discriminating against permit holders (it ain't our guns that purchase toys) we'll be taking ALL our money to stores that don't treat us as a discriminated against minority.

Aahzz
September 13, 2010, 09:35 AM
Just an update, this morning I received the same canned response to my email to them. I'm trying to decide if a further response from me is worth the time, or just let it go as I know they're getting plenty of other emails from my friends and family, as well as the community here....

thx997303
September 13, 2010, 02:21 PM
Deleted accidental post.

jahwarrior
September 13, 2010, 02:45 PM
i stopped in my local TRU yesterday; i saw no sign on the door, nor anywhere else. i've carried openly there many times, and i've never had an issue, except for one instance, with another shopper.

i personally don't like shopping there because of the insane prices, but if this is going to be their new corporate policy, i won't be shopping there under any circumstances from now on. my thanks to the OP for bringing this to our collective attention.

Harley Quinn
September 13, 2010, 02:50 PM
This is a thread for ragging on, imho, to bad really... No other thoughts can be applied :confused:

Inane comes to mind...

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/inane

Regards

oneounceload
September 13, 2010, 04:46 PM
But the right thing to do is not shop there. It is not an option to blatantly ignore the policy because by doing so, you ignore the law.

Just make sure you inform them as to WHY you are no longer shopping there.

hso
September 13, 2010, 05:14 PM
Folks,

This thread was approaching 5 pages and it's now down to 2 after deleting sidebar discussions, bickering and other posts that don't focus on an effective plan to affect a change. Open a thread in Activism Discussion if you want to delve into other issues than the plan here to motivate TRU to change this discriminatory practice.

Not spending money at companies that discriminate against us is good, but it doesn't get the point across if you don't tell them why you'll be spending money with their competition.

If you do nothing else, send them an email telling them that you won't be spending money at TRU or BRU as long as they discriminate against people who legally carry firearms. Tell them what you estimate you've spent with them the past 12 months and that it will go to their competitors. CC several of your family and friends when you send the email.

Better still, post your email so others here can send their version of it. Make copies of your toy and baby receipts and send those via email or snail mail with a new explanation each time that as long as they discriminate against us we will spend our money with their competition.

Arkansas Paul
September 13, 2010, 05:56 PM
I just sent this a few minutes ago.

Hello,

I have just been made aware of your store policy to ban law abiding citizens from legally carrying firearms in your stores. I just wanted to let you know that all business that I do with your stores will cease as long as you continue to contribute to the disarming of innocent people, therefore placing them at the mercy of criminals, who don't follow policies and laws.

I have read the canned responses that you have sent others, and am not interested in recieving one. Please don't waste either of our time. One would think that in the present condition of the economy, you would be welcoming anyone who wished to patronize your business, especially law abiding citizens. I will shop elsewhere, even at the inconvienence of paying more money. Please think about your policy and it's real legitimacy.

Sincerely,
Paul

hso
September 13, 2010, 06:48 PM
Arkansas Paul,

Thanks for letting others see your note to Toys R' Us.

skwab
September 13, 2010, 09:58 PM
Just sent this:

To Whom it May Concern,

Hundreds of thousands of men and women across our country, in states where the law allows, have taken the necessary training, and obtained the necessary licensing, have undergone the same thorough background checks police officers go through, so that in the unthinkable event they are faced with the scenario that someone is willing and capable of inflicting life-threatening harm on them or their loved ones, they are equipped to defend themselves and those around them. This is a very serious responsibility, and one that isn't taken lightly.

When you deny these proven law-abiding individuals the right to carry their firearm into your store, you are putting their safety in your hands. When you post a sign that prevents proven law-abiding individuals from carrying their firearm into your place of business, you are announcing to those who choose not to follow the rule of law, those who choose to ignore your sign, that this is a safe place for them to conduct their business. Criminals will follow the path of least resistance, and knowing that us law-abiding citizens will respect your wishes and not bring our firearms into your place of business, or not patronize your business at all, then it makes those who do shop there more exposed, and less safe.

I understand your company is all about kids, I have one of my own, and will have others down the road. All of our friends have young ones, and nieces and nephews, etc. Their safety is just as important to me as I feel it is to you, and while I appreciate the reason for making the decision you made about not allowing firearms in your stores, I feel you have been misinformed. I ask you to research the qualifications most states require for a law-abiding citizen to obtain their concealed-carry or open-carry permit, and ask yourselves are these people truly the ones you need to worry about, because criminals, by definition, don't follow the law. Below is a link to the laws and statutes outlining the Texas concealed handgun licensing program.

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/ftp/forms/chl-16.pdf

While you are reconsidering this corporate policy, I will respect your wishes and shop elsewhere. If and when you reconsider, I would be happy to shop your stores and website again.

Respectfully,

legal name

wojownik
September 14, 2010, 02:59 AM
Those last two letters were very helpful. I just returned an infant car seat, booster car seat, stroller, clothing, DVDs, and a lot of assorted supplies. So I am sending a note based on the above, along with a copy of my return receipt for $1,060. I also asked them to cancel my Toys R Us member card, and cease any mailings to my house (until they change the offending policy). However, I'd hope a thousand dollar return gets a little attention (but I'm girding myself for the official boilerplate reply).

BTW, Toys R Us is not a publicly traded company. It was taken back private in 2005, and is currently owned by Bain Capital Partners LLC, Kohlberg Kravis Roberts & Co. (KKR) and Vornado Realty Trust (each is a monster financially).

hso
September 14, 2010, 08:55 AM
wojownik just made a great point. With these returns and letters include a copy of the receipt when you point out that discrimination against us is costly to TRU/BRU.

ATBackPackin
September 14, 2010, 09:49 AM
How about something like this...........

Lets make this a collective effort. Everyone post a copy of their receipt of items that could have been bought at TRU and have an appointed person keep a rolling tally. Then either monthly or quarterly send a letter to the fine folks at TRU showing them the money they have lost on just this one forum by alienating law abiding citizens. Also let them know that we are just a small percentage of people that firmly believe in the 2nd amendment.

Shawn

Guillermo
September 14, 2010, 10:56 AM
I quit shopping at TRU when they quit selling toy guns. It was many years ago and they had the typical lame excuse about how they were somehow unsafe.

My letter will be more general in nature but will be sent today.

Interesting that they, as a corporation, are so anti-gun yet do not have a 30.06 sign, banning concealed carry in Texas. (as I do not shop there I only know this from a website that tracks such, texas3006.com)

Ridgerunner665
September 14, 2010, 12:13 PM
I received a response...it was the same canned message as before...

Dear Lynn,

Thank you for contacting Toys"R"Us. At Toys“R”Us, Inc., the safety and security of our customers and our employees is, and always has been, our highest priority. As a retailer that welcomes millions of kids and families into our stores across the country each year, we take our responsibility to create only the safest shopping environment very seriously. While we respect citizens’ rights to carry firearms in public areas according to certain state laws, our company policy prohibits customers from doing so in any of our stores out of an abundance of caution for the safety and protection of the children and families shopping with us. Thank you for shopping Toys"R"Us and Babies"R"Us.

Sincerely,

The "R"Us Team

Customer (Contact Us) - 09/11/2010 10:29 PM

We need an email that goes "higher up".

thx997303
September 14, 2010, 02:19 PM
Give me a bit. I'm working on it.

thx997303
September 14, 2010, 03:08 PM
Here we go. According to Linked in, Jennifer Albano is the "Senior Manager, Corporate Communications at Toys"R"Us, Inc."

And here is Ms. Albano's contact information.

Toys"R"Us, Inc.
Jennifer Albano
973-617-5632
Jennifer.Albano@toysrus.com

Ridgerunner665
September 14, 2010, 03:23 PM
Copy that...fire for effect.

thx997303
September 14, 2010, 03:26 PM
Here is the text of the e-mail I sent to Ms. Albano.

Ms. Albano,

A few days ago I was asked to leave a Toys 'R' Us location in Orem, Utah. The catalyst behind this request was my Lawfully carried firearm.

It has come to my attention that it is a corporate policy to ban firearms from Toys 'R' Us stores.

This policy leaves a sour taste with me regarding Toys 'R' Us and any stores owned by Toys 'R' Us.

The unfortunate thing about no firearms policies, is that they do nothing to stop the criminal element of society from carrying their illegally carried firearms.

It does however, disarm law abiding customers, as they are apt to respect the corporate policy.

Disarming the law abiding leaves nothing but a target rich environment for those who are inclined to commit crimes.

As a concealed carry permit holder, and a veteran of the United States Army, I find it offensive that Toys 'R' Us considers me too irresponsible to carry my firearm in their stores.

I have decided to ask firearms owners to boycott Toys 'R' Us and any stores owned by or affiliated with Toys 'R' Us unless and until this policy is changed.

For your convenience, I will now link to the discussions on this topic at various internet firearms forums.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=543355

http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/rkba-news-information/158598-toys-r-us-boycott.html

http://www.utahconcealedcarry.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=9505

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?80532-Toys-R-Us-Boycott.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=92947

Take careful note not only of the replies to these threads, but to the number of views to these threads.

I myself have spent $200 at another store that I had planned to spend at Toys 'R' Us, merely because of your policy.

Others have returned merchandise totaling in excess of $1,000 to Toys 'R' Us locations because of this policy.

Given the economy's state, and the upcoming holiday season, I would imagine that alienating any customers at all would be a bad idea and will hurt profit margins.

Despite the claim that (excerpt from an e-mail received from Rich Latner of Toys 'R' Us corporate guest relations)

"• It is also our policy not to sell any toy gun that could be mistaken for a real gun. Toys“R”Us was the first retailer in the U.S. to adopt this policy, which was established in 1994."

It is immediately apparent that this claim is false. See link below.

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4365587

That product could easily be mistaken for a real gun, especially given the advent of duracoat.

To recap, I am calling for a boycott of Toys 'R' Us and all related companies because of Toy's 'R' Us' stance on firearms.

Sincerely,

Thx.

Guillermo
September 14, 2010, 03:55 PM
a suggestion for letters such as these

mention that many attorneys feel that banning firearms raises liability for the establishment

Bullnettles
September 14, 2010, 05:51 PM
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us. We value all your feedback, positive and negative, as it helps us to understand how our guests feel and gives us an opportunity to evaluate any possible issues, including our current decision to place a no firearm policy in our stores. Hearing from you has helped us to do just that. Your comments are important to us, and we have forwarded them to our Corporate Office where they will be reviewed. Again, we appreciate your feedback, and thank you for your time in contacting us.

Sincerely,

The "R"Us Team

Although reading this thread has me dis-heartened after reading one of the responses. I was hoping mine might actually reach reasonable ears. :(

meadmkr
September 14, 2010, 06:36 PM
At Toys “R” Us, Inc., the safety and security of our customers and our employees is, and always has been, our highest priority. As a retailer that welcomes millions of kids and families into our stores across the country each year, we take our responsibility to create only the safest shopping environment very seriously. While we respect citizens’ rights to carry firearms in public areas according to certain state laws, our company policy prohibits customers from doing so in any of our stores out of an abundance of caution for the safety and protection of the children and families shopping with us.

I got the same canned response as well with the same cliche of 'for the children'. I guess the several hundred we drop there on gifts per year will go elsewhere!

hso
September 14, 2010, 07:46 PM
I don't advise getting into the liability issue, either theirs motivating them to ban gunowners or theirs for denying us the ability to protect ourselves.

Stick to the discriminating against legal gunowners who obey the law and are not a danger to anyone and acting in a prejudiced manner against us as if we were criminals. If their discrimination was based on the bigoted assumption that people of a specific color or ethnicity were untrustworthy and a threat no one would stand for it and their Board of Directors would be looking to replace senior managers for such discrimination. As permit holders and law abiding citizens we've had to prove to the state and to the federal government that we are very trustworthy. Trustworthy enough to pass the federally mandated background check to purchase a firearm. Trustworthy enough to take a course to carry a handgun. Trustworthy enough to pass a background check that we had to pay for. No other group exercising their constitutional rights has to prove through several and repeated steps that they are trustworthy. And YET Toys R' Us decides that even though we've proven over and over again that we're trustworthy to exercise that constitutional right they want to set a corporate policy discriminating against us and posting signs discriminating against us. As long as they continue this discriminatory policy and post these discriminatory signs we will work to get all law abiding citizens to take their money to Toys R' Us competitors that don't treat us like second class citizens.

thx997303
September 14, 2010, 08:27 PM
Everybody who got the canned response might want to send an e-mail directly to Ms. Albano.

Guillermo
September 14, 2010, 08:36 PM
HSO

While your response was well written and well reasoned I still respectfully disagree.

The reason is that many companies rely upon lawyers to make these types of decisions. That you put who is ultimately the person they are allowing to make the decision directly in question you can sometimes make a change. IF you do not address their main concern it cannot be influenced.

Understand that I am not a lawyer and I don't even play one on tv. I do, however, come from a family of lawyers that were so litigious that they sued one another (Thanksgiving was great as a kid when the adult food fight started) but I also, unfortunately, have a fair amount of contact with them presently.

This contact includes an employment law attorney that NEVER suggests that anyone ban guns for liability purposes. They advise to let "sleeping dogs lie" because taking a position is dangerous.

Hopefully the readers of this threat will enjoy the opposing views on this issue.

hso
September 14, 2010, 09:00 PM
Guillermo,

My concern with addressing the liability issue is that it can be difficult to do so clearly so that the target of the letter sees it as a legal liability for them to have the policy stand.

Do you have some example text that would help push that button well?

jhallrv4
September 14, 2010, 10:11 PM
Well, after not ever entering T.R.U. as far as I can remember, I read this thread Sunday morning. Weird, that very morning, my wife sez "let's go to Toys R Us and get a gift for that party tonight". So, I went there, carried my DW Commander Bobtail 1911 in a nice holster with FBI cant, under an excellent cover shirt. Eat that, TRU! I figured I could not go there at all, or flip them the long one and just carry there anyway. I chose the latter. They wouldn't know either way, and this way, I got to feel superior to their little petty B.S. and win the battle and the war.

Jeff

Gouranga
September 14, 2010, 10:29 PM
Do you have some example text that would help push that button well?

Also not a lawyer...but is seems to me a policy like Starbucks, neither for not against is the best way to go. If I go into the store unarmed, and I get shot by someone in the store, I could see suing for them creating an unsafe store by banning ME from carrying protection while at the same time (ironically) creating an unsafe environment banning my protection, failing to provide armed security of their own, and in fact advertising to armed criminals that no law abiding citizen will be carrying a firearm inside.

Once again not a lawyer but really, if i was a business owner, I would be neither for or against but I would defer to the laws in place in the state in which my store resides. Seems MUCH safer liability wise to not stand for anything, lol.

wojownik
September 14, 2010, 10:43 PM
A few more corporate contacts at Toys R US (unfortunately, for snail mail at Toys R Us, One Geoffrey Way, Wayne, NJ 07470)

Gerald L. Storch, Chairman and CEO

Clay Creasey, Chief Financial Officer

Joel Wiest, Senior Vice President, Finance

Eleanor Hong, Vice President of Marketing -- U.S

The opposition here may be David J. Schwartz, Executive Vice President, General Counsel & Corporate Secretary. He leads the company’s Safety and Quality Assurance program and serves as Chairman of the Toys“R”Us, Inc. Safety Council.

Guillermo
September 15, 2010, 10:25 AM
HSO asked for an example of how I bring up the liability issue. This is from a letter where I was discussing a company's policy concerning concealed handguns and the banning thereof.

[Here in Texas, the sign banning concealed guns is called a "30.06", the reference number of the law and has the added advantage of being funny to gun guys]

Consider the legal ramifications if your policy were to be responsible for someone being hurt or killed because you disarmed them.

This is an issue that I have looked into extensively and have never come across an attorney that suggests that a 30.06 signs lowers liability but rather the inverse.

Azb
September 15, 2010, 11:46 AM
Well, after not ever entering T.R.U. as far as I can remember, I read this thread Sunday morning. Weird, that very morning, my wife sez "let's go to Toys R Us and get a gift for that party tonight". So, I went there, carried my DW Commander Bobtail 1911 in a nice holster with FBI cant, under an excellent cover shirt. Eat that, TRU! I figured I could not go there at all, or flip them the long one and just carry there anyway. I chose the latter. They wouldn't know either way, and this way, I got to feel superior to their little petty B.S. and win the battle and the war.

Jeff
Except that now they have your money.

Doh!

I make it a point to respect a landowner's right to deny my access for any reason. It's his property, it's his right, and as a law abiding human, I respect that.

But keep in mind that I have discovered myself on property where I was not welcome because I was legally concealing a gun and it was too late to do anything about it. In this case, I appreciate that the signs carry no legal weight in my state, so I can finish my business with no fear of spending the night in jail.

I do not wish to continue to push it, as business owners may decide to lobby for legal backing on their signs if they feel that citizens are ignoring their requests. I do not want this to happen for the above mentioned scenario. So I feel it is counterproductive to point out to these business owners that their signs mean nothing. No good can come from that.

Meanwhile, my money always goes to businesses that are fair, well run, and allow me to make my own choices in regards to personal defense.

Az

Azb
September 15, 2010, 12:06 PM
I sent my letter.

Az

Guillermo
September 15, 2010, 12:36 PM
Are we going to boycott churches?

Churches are not allowed in that state by law not by choice. If they made the choice not to allow guns, yes, I would boycott them.

If writing a letter to a church I would quote scripture (Luke 22:36) and point out the many places of worship that have had shootings.

All this said, I suggest that you swerve back to Toys R Us as the moderators in this area are more stringent than others in other parts of THR.

Harley Quinn
September 15, 2010, 12:44 PM
New location opened in my area in CA, I will not go to it, even though the laws in CA are quite tough about open carry...

I do carry concealed though, might have to find out if that would be ok,:confused: but will not shop there...

I am going to go in and ask about the rules, if they have any...:scrutiny:

Regards

hso
September 15, 2010, 12:47 PM
Look for postings at the entrances.

A company policy has no real meaning to the public if they don't post the building.

You may want to include some inflammatory imagery. Ask them if they realize their signs are as offensive to us as this is to others and is equally misguided in much the same way.

http://lcweb2.loc.gov/service/pnp/fsa/8a17000/8a17500/8a17588r.jpg

jahwarrior
September 15, 2010, 01:44 PM
i don't think the comparison to "Whites Only" signs is a good one. i can't help being born darker skinned than some people, but i can disarm before entering somewhere. it would be different if some people were born with guns attached to them, but i haven't met those people yet.

people and corporate entities have the right to bar people from carrying an inanimate object onto their private property if they wish, just as the people carrying those items have the right to boycott these places, in a civil manner, and to encourage others to follow suit.

if people start throwing out things like Rosa Parks and racial discrimination when alluding to 2A rights, we lose all credibility, especially to people like me, who actually do face discrimination based on what they look like.

hso
September 15, 2010, 02:14 PM
I understand that everyone isn't comfortable taking that approach and it isn't going to be useful for everyone to push that far, but since guns can't walk into the businesses, only the permit holders carrying them, the analogy is that the store's ban on permit holders is based on a prejudicial set of assumptions about a group of people. It's not an aversion to firearms, but a form of bigotry against people.

CHEVELLE427
September 15, 2010, 02:28 PM
sent my letter as well and brought up the case in Californian a few years back at a
MC Donald's were a lady had to disarm herself while having lunch with her parents .
do to a sign in the window, unfortunately the deranged man with a gun didn't see or pay any attention to the sign and killed 25+ people including the parents if the lady that disarmed herself.

i think it was just a few month back she testified before congress about this.

i guess the FRY DADDY was to protect the customers .

Ridgerunner665
September 15, 2010, 02:36 PM
/\/\/\...that sounds like the incident in Texas (the one where the lady was a government official (politician) of some sort...I forget her name)

Edit: I looked it up... Suzanna Gratia Hupp... http://www.chron.com/content/chronicle/nation/guns/part2/gunside1.html

CHEVELLE427
September 15, 2010, 03:10 PM
this might have been the one i was think of

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjpL8HfWiiY

CHEVELLE427
September 15, 2010, 04:33 PM
here is the letter i just got back....

Mr. Bailey

Thank you for contacting our corporate office regarding your views. We value your opinion and appreciate the time you took out of your busy schedule to let us hear from you.

I am sorry to learn of your disappointment in our policy and want to assure you that your comments have been formally documented. While it is never our intention to inconvenience or dissatisfy any of our guests, we understand that this policy may oppose the views of some. Our decision to implement this policy was done with careful and deliberate evaluation of our customer’s needs and safety. It is unfortunate that you disagree with our decision, however, we appreciate your respect of our company policy.

Thank you once again, Mr. Bailey, for contacting Toys “R” Us and allowing us the opportunity to learn of your personal opinion.

Regards,

Juliana Toala

Coordinator, Executive Guest Services

One Geoffrey Way

Wayne, NJ 07470

wojownik
September 15, 2010, 04:57 PM
TRU, like most other companies, is driven by the bottom line, and avoidance of liability. Banning guns from their stores helps them address the latter (in their minds).

Focus on the effect to their bottom line. That's what their accountants and lawyers can relate to. Anything else may be perceived as irrelevant or "fringe".

I hate to admit it, but when I'm in the office, that's my primary driver...

Ridgerunner665
September 15, 2010, 05:11 PM
I got a response from the 2nd email...

Dear Lynn,

Thank you for contacting our corporate office regarding your views. We value your opinion and appreciate the time you took out of your busy schedule to let us hear from you.

While we continue to respect your right as a citizen to carry firearms in public areas under certain state laws, our company policy does prohibit customers from doing so in any of our stores. While it is never our intention to inconvenience or dissatisfy any of our guests, we understand that this policy may oppose the views of some. Our decision to implement this policy was done with careful and deliberate evaluation of our customer’s needs and safety. It is unfortunate that you disagree with our decision, however, we appreciate your respect of our company policy. Please be assured that your comments have been formally documented.

Thank you once again for contacting Toys “R” Us and allowing us the opportunity to learn of your personal opinion.

Regards,

Juliana Toala
Executive Guest Relations

One Geoffrey Way
Wayne, NJ 07470

hso
September 15, 2010, 05:13 PM
Keep the pressure up and direct it at the top of the food chain instead at the lower level gatekeepers.

thx997303
September 15, 2010, 07:12 PM
hso, it appears that Ms. Albano is having an underling answer the e-mails we have sent.

This is the second e-mail I have seen that Juliana Toala has sent to people who sent e-mails to Ms. Albano.

Not only that, but the wording is nearly identical.

Funny I haven't received a response yet.

We need to attempt to get our e-mails to the CEO, but I can't seem to find his e-mail.

Dokkalfar
September 15, 2010, 07:31 PM
Yep, looks like a copy-paste form email she has her secretary send out as the set response. Not something they'll likely pay much attention to there :/

hso
September 15, 2010, 07:38 PM
Snail-mail can be sent to -

CEO and Chairman of the Board Toys "R" Us, Inc.

Gerald L. Storch
Toys "R" US, Inc.
One Geoffrey Way
Wayne, New Jersey 07470

Phone: 973-617-3500
Fax: 201-845-0973

Keep the letters short and polite and to the point without ranting. TRU lost their preeminent status to WalMart on toy sales back in 2007 and haven't regained it yet. This won't help them do it. He has a BA, JD and MBA from Harvard

Azb
September 15, 2010, 08:48 PM
Yep, I got the same response from Ms. Toala from the email I sent to Ms. Albano.

Az

Ed N.
September 15, 2010, 08:59 PM
My email:

It has recently been brought to my attention that Toys R Us has
adopted a policy of forbidding the legal possession of firearms within
its retail stores. For many years I have shopped at your stores, buying
articles for my own children as well as nieces, nephews, friends'
children, etc. I will no longer do so unless this prohibition is
withdrawn.

I have been issued a permit by the state of Florida to carry a concealed
weapon. To obtain this permit, I had to undergo training, be
fingerprinted and cleared by local law enforcement, and pass an FBI
background investigation. People like me are the LEAST of your worries
when it comes to possession of firearms. Your GREATEST worry, the
criminal who seeks to use a weapon to harm innocent people, doesn't care
a thing about your policy.

What your policy does is prevent responsible, law-abiding people from
protecting themselves and their families, while having zero effect upon
the criminal element.

Bottom line - you have lost my business until you revoke this policy.

Regards,

Their first reply:

Thank you for contacting RUs.com. I am very sorry that you are not
pleased with the Toys"R"Us policy on possession of firearms within our
stores and I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

We appreciate your questions and concerns relating to this firearm
policy. I have forwarded your email to the appropriate team for their
prompt review, and you may expect a response from a Guest Service
Specialist within 3 to 5 business days.

Thank you again for contacting RUs.com. We value your business and look
forward to serving you in the future!

Sincerely,

Kelle Dewalt
Guest Service Team
www.ToysRUs.com (800) ToysRUs / (800) 869-7787
www.BabiesRUs.com (888) BabyRUs / (888) 222-9787
Available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week!!

Their second reply:

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us. We value all your feedback, positive and negative, as it helps us to understand how our guests feel and gives us an opportunity to evaluate any possible issues, including our decision to place a no firearm policy in our stores. Hearing from you has helped us to do just that. Your comments are important to us, and we have forwarded them to our Corporate Office where they will be reviewed. Again, we appreciate your feedback, and thank you for your time in contacting us.

Sincerely,

The "R"Us Team

I'll query further if I don't hear from them in another day or two.

ccsniper
September 15, 2010, 09:51 PM
I called them to tell them politely that they will lose my business do to the new policy, which I was abruptly hung up on. They just lost my business for good.

ccsniper
September 15, 2010, 10:01 PM
email sent.

thx997303
September 15, 2010, 11:41 PM
I think it is definitely time to start with the snail mail to the CEO.

hso
September 16, 2010, 01:17 AM
I'd suggest sending a copy of your toy/baby receipt from their competitors to the CEO with a simple note saying this is how you'll be spending your money as long as they discriminate against permit holders.

If you want to save money you can put it on a post card.

bindingposts
September 16, 2010, 01:56 AM
Send certified mail :P

CHEVELLE427
September 16, 2010, 08:43 AM
I THINK THE POINT OF THE EMAILS AND LETTERS

is to let them know they are losing money, and the bottom line is not the safety of anyone it is a money thing.

business now days don't care if you are a model worker , 1 bump in your road in life and your replaced, lose of money will get all there attention.

like OSHA in the 80s they fined the oil rigs right out of the gulf most went to south America, ours did, next thing some OSHA employees found them self in the unemployment line :neener:.as there was no rigs left to harass,;)

there can be too much of a good thing. less rigs OSHA was not needed.;)
less money to TRU they wont be needed either ;)

cadillacmike
September 16, 2010, 12:55 PM
I would continue to vote with my wallet. As much as I can't stand wal-mart - they do sell pistol ammo for less than most. My problem with wal-mart is that they are not employee friendly (and at one time were sued by 38 states for discriminatory laboe practices). And the stores are usually a mess.

Do send in copies of receipts for returns and what you buy elswhere, but send it to their corporate HQ types, not the local store. Eventually someone may figure out the level of financial hurt and wise up, if not, it's their loss not ours. They may be even adding up the $$ right now, just need to get them to the tipping point.

ccsniper
September 16, 2010, 01:43 PM
email reply

Good day Mr Walker,

Thank you for your e-mail concerning our no weapons policy.

Although we certainly understand your right to bear arms we have a strict policy in place to protect all of our customers.

This policy is in place to ensure that everybody is safe in our stores as we are a family oriented organization. You being a law abiding citizen do have the right to protect yourself and your family however not all citizens are as considerate as you are. To protect everybody on in our stores we reserve certain rights one of which is to prohibit weapons in our stores.

Please leave your weapon in the vehicle or someplace secure until your visit is done with Toys R Us or the Babies R us Us stores.

I do hope that you will give our stores an opportunity to service you in the future as we do appreciate your business and will strive to service you in the best way possible.

Again thank you for contacting us concerning this matter,

Sincerely,

Toys R Us Corporate Guest Relations,

IdahoSkies
September 16, 2010, 03:03 PM
I sent an email and got back the canned response that has been quoted before. I'll be sending them copies of my holiday receipts. (I have four kids).

Russ Jackson
September 16, 2010, 04:55 PM
It looks as if TRU is in trouble anyway. This will just speed up the process. Sending Emails and letters certainly wont hurt. If it makes the News Channels it could have some real impact just before the Christmas season. When was the last time you saw a kid with a cap gun?..Russ

cadillacmike
September 16, 2010, 05:19 PM
I' sure someone is adding up those receipts that you all are sending in (no kids here!!) What must be especially galling to TRU are returned items. I'm sure those are even more striking because it shows that someone took the timer and effort to reverse a purchase.

So keep it up.

Old Guy
September 16, 2010, 07:45 PM
Went in the one on OBT last night saw the sign. Had a go at a couple of sales staff people, pleasantly. Who is the owner, the President, that kind of stuff.

This stores parking lot runs out to OBT here in Orlando. Orange Blossom Trail, prostitutes/Pimps, you name it, walk thought their parking lot! Ply their trade around there!

They need an Armed Security Officer, my Sons Company can provide one!

hso
September 17, 2010, 10:01 AM
I'm going to delete the discussions that are not focused on refining/improving/expanding the original effort to motivate TRU to change their policy and remove the anti2A postings from their businesses so that folks can work on the task at hand.

Got a different plan altogether, start another thread in Activism where plans are presented and refined/improved/expanded.

Don't like the idea of grassroots letter writing and want to debate the merits of it vs. other approaches, there's now a thread on it in Activism Discussion where discussions on those broader questions take place with the spotlight on that issue.

Want to discuss how A and AD are set up and the impact to activism efforts? There's now a thread on that in AD where the discussion can take place and the spotlight is on that issue.

thx997303
September 17, 2010, 12:51 PM
There is now support for this boycott in Australia by members of a shooting club there. For them, it's the principle of the thing.

If this takes hold there, it will really ratchet up the pressure on TRU.

Guillermo
September 17, 2010, 07:55 PM
Sniper,

I would respond after checking out a story, such as this one (a Toy's R Us shooting)

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/11/28/national/main4637468.shtml

and inform him that if anyone were hurt that COULD have been armed except for his policy that he and his store would be held liable.

Jolly Rogers
September 17, 2010, 08:31 PM
^ The story in this link may be responsible for the current policy...
Joe

Carter
September 17, 2010, 08:35 PM
Well I've firmly decided to not shop at Toys R Us, but today my gf wanted to go there to look for a birthday present for her daughter. I said I wont shop at a place that abuses my rights. She responded with, "I don't care about your rights" and "Guns aren't the most important thing in the world." That shocked me because she loves shooting and likes the fact that I carry.

I couldn't get her on my side about this.

snubbies
September 17, 2010, 08:39 PM
It more than likely is. At least it may not be a coincidence. Yet again it may not be related. This shooting occured on November 28, 2008 at 1:45 PM. Maybe the policy is related to some legal action taken by partiess in the shooting.

Guillermo
September 17, 2010, 08:49 PM
I don't care about your rights"

Carter,
There is no way in the world that I would marry her. That is one of those "Core Value" things.

Jolly,
I doubt it, TRU has been anti gun since long before that.

wtfd661
September 17, 2010, 09:04 PM
Email sent about my displeasure with their new policy.

CHEVELLE427
September 17, 2010, 09:48 PM
i would have drooped her off and told her to call when she got done helping support the downfall of the country

hso
September 17, 2010, 09:50 PM
Considering all the alternatives out there, KB, WalMart, etc., there's no "need" to shop with TRU.

Guillermo
September 17, 2010, 10:03 PM
Considering all the alternatives out there, KB, WalMart, etc., there's no "need" to shop with TRU

That is VERY true and a compelling argument as well as succinctly stated.

I opine that it could be to put into a letter to management.

CHEVELLE427
September 17, 2010, 10:09 PM
I would respond after checking out a story, such as this one (a Toy's R Us shooting)

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/...n4637468.shtml

wonder were all the T-R-U PROTECTION PEOPLE WERE.
oh hiding in the back room

didn't one of the letters say it was for our protection
NO GUNS ALLOWED. WONDER IF A SIGN WAS IN PLACE BACK THEN TOO,

did not see a date of the shooting.

kills me i just saw a new sign at the VA no guns or knifes allowed or any weapons. these guy and girls fought for all freedom just to have it taken away when going to the VA for medical help. knife also means that small 1in one you clean your fingers with as well.

jaholder1971
September 17, 2010, 11:44 PM
[QUOTE]Are the people who say anti-carry policies ok, are they trolls? [QUOTE]

No, it's just that most Libertarians have an anarcho-corporatist outlook on everything. Government has no right to dictate terms to them or their business, but put them in charge and they'll do the same damn thing and demand to held harmless for their decisions.

hso
September 18, 2010, 12:16 AM
did not see a date of the shooting.

No sign would have made any difference two years ago and TRU putting one up has no benefit today is the point I think is being made. That can be made in contacting TRU's CEO.

If it would have made no difference then and it would make no difference now then why discriminate against permit holders and others legally carrying by developing this prejudicial policy and posting the stores when thousands will take their money to competitors that don't discriminate against people who legally carry should be driven home.

hso
September 18, 2010, 12:21 AM
Anybody know where Tom Gresham and other pro2A media sorts are on this issue?

CHEVELLE427
September 18, 2010, 12:40 AM
i was thinking of putting a sign on my front door.;)

NO BURGLARS ALLOWED :cuss:

seems a sign will keep the bad guy away :uhoh:, WONT IT:scrutiny:

SORRY HAD TO FIX THE BUGLERS,

was in a rant and miss spelled it WTH got caught :uhoh:

Jesse
September 18, 2010, 01:10 AM
^^^^
Me neither.

Burglars on the other hand, welcome to my sights!
Meanwhile back at the OP, I see a steady diet of gun rules as opposed to gun laws since it is suicidal for many politicians to try and enact them.
Expulsion from school for a child carrying his toy gun to school for TWO YEARS in Florida for instance.

http://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local-beat/Child-Gets-Expelled-For-Toy-Gun---a-Year-Later.html

daorhgih
September 18, 2010, 01:17 AM
There's a lot more than just guns at "Guns-Я-Us". Take your list or go on line. DAO

thx997303
September 18, 2010, 02:02 AM
Someone said KB when mentioning alternatives to TRU.

If they meant KB toys, forget it. KB toys is just another TRU owned store.

snubbies
September 18, 2010, 08:38 AM
November 28, 2008 at 1:45 PM

CHEVELLE427
September 18, 2010, 08:45 AM
November 28, 2008 at 1:45 PM

thanks

guess the sign didn't work or was not in place,

if in place now im sure it will, never happen again.

we have to obey the SIGNS

altitude_19
September 18, 2010, 09:16 AM
What's the email to reach TRU again?

CHEVELLE427
September 18, 2010, 09:20 AM
1 (800) TOYSRUS
1 (800) 869-7787
contactus@toysrus.com

Media Relations:

1 (973) 617-5900
Press@toysrus.com
Corporate Sales: 1 (800) 353-8811

leadcounsel
September 18, 2010, 11:45 AM
Sent my letter voicing opposition to the policy - standard stuff: Law abiding citizens vs. criminals, background checks for CCWs, boycotting TRU, equal rights, etc.

whatever
September 19, 2010, 03:14 PM
For those of you wanting to send correspondence to the higher ups:

Although their email addresses may not be readily available, a good tip can be found from the posting of Jennifer Albano's email address (Jennifer.Albano@toysrus.com).

Most companies set up their email addresses the same way for all employees whether low-level folks or the higher ups.

If you want to email the higher-ups, stick to the basic format of FIRST.LAST@toysrus.com...I'll bet they go through. If they don't bounce back to you, you'll know they went through okay. If it doesn't work, try throwing a middle initial in there.

The list of names was as follows:
Gerald L. Storch, Chairman and CEO (I'd try gerald.storch@toysrus.com)
Clay Creasey, Chief Financial Officer (same format: clay.creasey@toysrus.com)
Joel Wiest, Senior Vice President, Finance (joel.wiest@toysrus.com)
Eleanor Hong, Vice President of Marketing -- U.S (eleanor.hong@toysrus.com)
David J. Schwartz, Executive Vice President, General Counsel (david.schwartz@toysrus.com)

Again, I'm not 100% sure these are correct, but many corporations are very predictable in their simplicity.

Yo Mama
September 20, 2010, 10:07 AM
If they are reading this, I just spent 250 dollars between Halo Reach and a new car seat. I was going to go to their stores, but went to Walmart instead. It's money they will never see, and over time all new purchases will not be made in a Toys R Us or Babies R us.

Azb
September 20, 2010, 02:05 PM
Mr Storch's address as shown above is not accessible. It looks as though it's valid, but it's blocked.

Az

Azb
September 20, 2010, 02:07 PM
NO BUGLERS ALLOWED :cuss:

What, you don't like musicians?

:)

Az

leadcounsel
September 20, 2010, 04:39 PM
Got a response:

Thank you for contacting the “R” Us Team.

Sincerely,

“R” Us Guest Relations

So based on their logic, if a shooting occurs OUTSIDE TRU where there are people with concealed carry permits, the safest place is INSIDE TRU...

I have as much handgun training, and arguably MORE than most common LEOs. Most states allow me to carry. Yet that's not good enough for TRU... funny. Well then my $ isn't good enough either. I'll never shop there or in any of their businesses intentionally.

leadcounsel
September 20, 2010, 04:41 PM
And based on this logic, they should put up signs that read:

NO SHOPLIFTING ALLOWED

CHEVELLE427
September 20, 2010, 07:01 PM
[QUOTE][Originally Posted by CHEVELLE427

NO BUGLERS ALLOWED

What, you don't like musicians?/QUOTE]

yes them too

got in too big of a rant and didnt catch that:banghead:

thanks FIXED IT

billybob44
September 20, 2010, 10:16 PM
And based on this logic, they should put up signs that read:

NO SHOPLIFTING ALLOWED
Yes that is another sign that the crooks will obey also??
I also got back my "Canned" response from them. Sent them back a common sense reply. Like that will work??

tobyjones
September 21, 2010, 07:08 AM
My TRU letter

Just wanted to drop you a note to let you know that your decision not to allow guns in your stores hit a nerve with me. I spent many summers of my youth saving up allowance money and recycling money so I could go to your store and buy cap guns. I now have three children of my own under the age of 6 and keeping them safe is the most important thing in the world to me. I will not frequent any store that would knowingly try to impair my ability to protect my family.

Yours,

Tobias Jones

billybob44
September 21, 2010, 09:16 AM
My TRU letter

Just wanted to drop you a note to let you know that your decision not to allow guns in your stores hit a nerve with me. I spent many summers of my youth saving up allowance money and recycling money so I could go to your store and buy cap guns. I now have three children of my own under the age of 6 and keeping them safe is the most important thing in the world to me. I will not frequent any store that would knowingly try to impair my ability to protect my family.

Yours,

Tobias Jones
^^^Good stuff toby. My feelings exactly, although my children are my Grand children..Bill.

porterdog
September 21, 2010, 11:02 AM
My email:

"Hi! I have a 3 year old. Bought a lot of stuff from TRU/BRU- toys, gear, supplies..... No more though, at least, not until your ridiculous new No Firearms Allowed policy is retracted. If there was going to be an incident, do you *really* think that a No Guns Allowed sign is going to have an impact?

Do you believe in Santa Claus, too?

Very sincerely yours,

porterdog
Ferndale, MI

Boycott info:

http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=543355"

hso
September 21, 2010, 11:46 AM
Here's another brief letter ya'll can send.

Mr. Storch,

The new policy against legal handgun carry permit holders is misguided and based on prejudice and should be changed to a policy that does not discriminate against the most vetted members of the public.

Criminals will no more obey a "No Guns" sign than they would a "No Shoplifting" sign. Only law abiding people will try to pay any attention to such a posting and they are not a concern in the first place. Worse yet, by putting such signs up you force handgun carry permit holders, who've undergone background checks and paid considerable sums of money for training and the permit fees to legally carry a handgun, to leave their firearms in their vehicles in your unsecured parking lots.

What you should expect in response to such discrimination is that many if not most of them will take their business to your competitors who will not treat them like the criminals you're actually concerned about.

You're not prohibiting criminals from bringing guns on your premises, you're rejecting law abiding gun owners with this prejudicial policy.

Regards,

ChefKristian
September 21, 2010, 12:46 PM
Message that I sent.

Hello,

As a law-abiding citizen, I find it unreasonable that your "No Firearms" policy will prohibit me from carrying my LEGALLY aqcuired and LEGALLY possessed fiearm into your stores. I am a father of a 2 year-old, and my main focus on carrying a weapon is to protect the lives of my loved ones. In the past 2.5 years, I have spent thousands of dollars in Toys R Us and Babies R Us. I do not plan on spending any more of my hard earned money with your company any longer.

You have said to many other people that have sent their concerns that the policy is to create a safe environment for families. As a company, do you honestly believe that a gun-toting criminal will follow the posted signs and leave the store? The only safe environment that my family has is the one that I create, not the one that you prohibit.

Thank you for your time,

Kristian Lenard

thx997303
September 21, 2010, 03:22 PM
CEO : Gerald L. Storch
TITLE : Chairman and CEO
EMAIL : StorchG@toysrus.com

Found it. :)

dovedescending
September 21, 2010, 03:39 PM
Huh, looks like I need to get in on this one. We have another daughter due in January, and they won't be getting a single one of my hard-earned dimes.

dovedescending
September 21, 2010, 03:44 PM
Dear Sir,

I have just been informed of Toy's R Us' policy of banning the carry of concealed firearms by law-abiding citizens. My second child is due in January, but rest assured your company will not see a single one of my hard-earned dollars until this policy is redacted. Additionally, I will be actively spreading the word amongst my friends and family with young children.

The selection of products and excellent customer service attracted me to your stores in the past. But I cannot continue to patronize an establishment that is willing to put my family in harm's way.

Thank you,

-my legal name

EDIT: got a bounceback

Delivery to the following recipient failed permanently:

StorchG@toysrus.com

Technical details of permanent failure:
Google tried to deliver your message, but it was rejected by the recipient domain. We recommend contacting the other email provider for further information about the cause of this error. The error that the other server returned was: 550 550 Mailbox unavailable or access denied - <storchg@toysrus.com> (state 14).

CHEVELLE427
September 21, 2010, 04:41 PM
SO FAR my letter has not come back yet, it did take longer to send then normal

told him looks like you have struck a nerve in the gun world as i found this on numerous sites, seems you have a snow ball rolling and i wouldn't be looking for that big bonus check at the end of the year either.

will see

snubbies
September 21, 2010, 04:43 PM
TRU has done what I figured they would do. They apparently have closed the E-Mail service. I sent a message to the general Council at TRU with no reply

CHEVELLE427
September 21, 2010, 04:50 PM
so snail mail is still an option

just got it back.

Hi. This is the qmail-send program at yahoo.com.
I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following addresses.
This is a permanent error; I've given up. Sorry it didn't work out.

<StorchG@toysrus.com>:
206.70.251.139 does not like recipient.
Remote host said: 550 Mailbox unavailable or access denied - <storchg@toysrus.com>
Giving up on 206.70.251.139.

if they pulled the email account there must be a ton of letters hitting the inbox, and not just the few from here.

hso
September 21, 2010, 05:35 PM
As pointed out before, we're guessing about the CEO's email address. Being the CEO he may be StorchG1@ or StorchGerald@ or some other combination based on how many Storchs there are at TRU.

It would be very good if we could get the specific email address for this guy so we wouldn't have to guess.

thx997303
September 21, 2010, 05:38 PM
That e-mail wasn't a guess.

hso
September 21, 2010, 06:28 PM
That e-mail wasn't a guess.

My mistake.

In that case we need to focus on snail mail to the CEO and the next tier managers.

snubbies
September 21, 2010, 06:56 PM
Forget about the next tier managers. The CEO sets company policy they NTM's only follow in rout step. Continue the snail mail they will take the next step of filtering their mail to the CEO. The CEO will have an underling read and discard letters on this subject. The impact will be the fact they will know of the volume of mail received on this issue. I am alone in the position that the efforts should be expanded beyond TRU to the pro-gun public at large.

Old krow
September 21, 2010, 09:03 PM
So what is the plan now since the CEO's email isn't working? Snail mail? General Council? I'm all for a concerted effort, just say where we're going.

snubbies
September 21, 2010, 09:30 PM
The General Council is in that postion to formulate and defend the CEO's position to conform to the law. He has no policy making authority. In the TRU issue the only one that can change policy is the CEO or Board of Directors or what ever ruling party their corporate structure operates under. The sponsors of the letter writing campaign are correct when they target TRU's financial structure. The question is can we muster enough support to have enough effect so as to change their policy. That is yet to be seen. TRU's recent action has seriously hampered that effort. I never complain without offering a solution. My solution to this issue in addition to those stated is to form a committee to direct this effort. I feel we must form a unified front that expands the effort beyond TRU to those entities that are or may consider similar policies. In the effort we may have to be willing to negotiate. We may be required to abandon the hard line favored by many. I believe you won't change policy without sitting down with management and negotiating. We must identify succintly our position and our solution to managements policy. It is unlikely that any Federal or State law will be passed requiring private entities to allow Open carry or Concealed carry on their premises.

Would the following be an acceptable position:
1. Only licensed (permitted) individuals allowed to carry on premises.
2. Those individuals are required to identify themselves as carrying to management upon entering the premises.
3. No open carrying allowed.
4. All weapons must be concealed.

This is right off the top of my head and no doubt will meet wiith resistance. There is a common ground out there

thx997303
September 21, 2010, 10:59 PM
Your position is 100% unacceptable snubbies.

Any store with policies like those you put forward in your post would be the subject of a boycott the same as any store with their current policy.

As an aside, the policy of just concealing despite their signs is one many adopt already. What would we have gained?

Gouranga
September 22, 2010, 12:15 AM
GRNC in NC is on-board and has notified members statewide to boycott TRU. They issued their alert tonight:

"Like the Grinch stealing Christmas, Toys R Us wishes to do so with your Constitutional rights. Like so too many others before, Toys R Us wants you to surrender your rights before handing over your money. In the popular vein of catering to liberal sensitivities rather than cold hard reality, the popular toy store is making you less safe by prohibiting concealed carry in their stores.

Will you allow this without protest, or will you let Toys R Us know they can celebrate this Christmas without your money? "

I would urge any and all state orgs out there to join in with this. If you are a member make sure your leadership is aware of this, let's hit them with a major nationwide boycott now.

hso
September 22, 2010, 12:29 AM
A CEO will be protected from outsiders "bothering" them. Either the Boss will demand their IT department block the email flooding their in-box, their Executive Assistant will demand it since they screen all the mail for him/her anyway, or an IT department that's on its toes will catch the increased activity and move to filter the mail.

Antagonizing the CEO or President of TRU will only lead to resistance to accepting what we're telling them. Our need is to educate TRU management to the fact that permit holders are not a risk of violence and open their eyes to the fact that the policy is prejudicial and not fact based. To do that we need to have as many people as possible to politely but firmly repeat the same message to them AND we need to show them that there's an economic impact to discriminating against us by proving the money they might have gotten has gone to their competition.

The obvious course of action is to continue the email campaign directed at Ms. Albano. Increase the volume of snail mail to Mr. Storch. Try to get as many RKBA advocacy groups as possible to do the same and get the 2A media personalities to get involved so the non-internet 2A community can participate in the effort.

The talking points are -
1) No facts support the policy and postings against law abiding potential customer who legally carry coming into their stores.
2) Such a policy is based on prejudice and is discriminatory. Equating us to criminals is insulting and unacceptable.
3) We will spend our money at businesses that do not have these prejudicial policies instead of TRU as long as TRU has this policy and these postings in place.

Anyone else think of any talking points chime in.
3)

snubbies
September 22, 2010, 07:57 AM
You obviously didn't read my post. I never advocated concealed carry in violation of their policy. I advocated notification of store management when you come on store premises after negotiation. This tactic presumes the negotiation will change to allow carry under the conditions I described. Repeated e-mails snail mail chanting the same montra is harassment of management. I predict your tatctics will not achieve your goals.

F-Body Demon
September 22, 2010, 08:17 AM
Emailed. Will spread the word.

thx997303
September 22, 2010, 01:22 PM
snubbies,

I never claimed you advocated concealing in spite of the signs, I was merely comparing it to something else.

And the goal of this boycott, well I wouldn't say it's to get them to change their policy, so much as it is to not spend money with a company that believes we are dangerous people.

If they change their policy, I would stop calling for a boycott based on their firearms policy.

I really think you are looking at this from the wrong angle.

snubbies
September 22, 2010, 01:49 PM
If the goal is to punish them for their gun policy why all the e-mail and snail mail?? It seems that some of the other members have a different goal. I read many of the postings that advocated the writing campaign to change the policy. Advocating a boycott for the sole purpose of punishment for their policy can be done without the writing campaign. I assumed from the outset the goal was to change the policy. If that in fact is not the goal I will cease and desist my comments. If you want the ploicy changed then I reiterate my position that a letter writing campaign alone will not do it. You can see from TRU's response they have taken steps to counteract your efforts.

CHEVELLE427
September 22, 2010, 02:06 PM
lack of money will always get there attention as it is connected to bonus checks for the year as well profit

thx997303
September 22, 2010, 02:30 PM
snubbies,

As with all boycotts, the point is to "punish" the business for something you don't like.

The "punishment" continues as long as it's necessary. If they change the policy, the "punishment" is no longer necessary.

Your approach would require them to actually WANT to negotiate. It's obvious at this point that will not happen.

I have just sent an e-mail out to Tom Gresham in the hopes of getting him to at least mention the boycott.

If he takes up the cause then the boycott will grow and perhaps TRU wont be so apt to simply ignore gun owners.

snubbies
September 22, 2010, 02:33 PM
When there is a lack of money the first people to suffer are the underlings through layoffs. This is brought true in the Banking crisis we just went through. The people lost and the executives took bonuses. People in the stores and on the docks will be the first to suffer. There will be no money to hire and the economy suffers. Do we want to punish or do we want to correct a bad policy??? Pardon my ignorance, Who is Tom Gresham??

thx997303
September 22, 2010, 02:52 PM
So I imagine you are for the stimulus packages.

I'm not interested in debating with you.

I'm also not interested in compromising.

Thank you for your input, your opinion has been noted.

Tom Gresham is the host of a radio show called Gun Talk. It airs every sunday across the nation.

snubbies
September 22, 2010, 02:54 PM
They won't negotiate when we are confrontational. We never approached them in a way that would want them to at least talk to us. The first e-mails and letters posted here were threatening. This effort began with screaming on the premises floor. They are in the drivers seat since there is no law to compel them to change their policy. The boycott can last forever and the policy will stay the same without cooperation of TRU. What if other large chainstores, Walmart, K-Mart, and the rest follow TRU's lead. To advance the cause by bringing others on board is the first step. A mistake we may be making here is overestimating our power.

snubbies
September 22, 2010, 02:56 PM
Those that refuse to compromise have taken the first step toward failure.

CHEVELLE427
September 22, 2010, 03:02 PM
i could care less if they ever change there no guns allowed sign,

that is there right as it is my right to choose were to spend my money.

im not seeing how that hurts the economy as there is a set amount of money that will be spent somewere just not at toy r us. so the economy is not taking the hit because people will still need that toy and will buy it just not at TRU,

only ones that it will affect is the poor worker bee , and when there gone so will, TRU, and just maybe the worker bee's will find a new job at the toy store that just got an incress in sales because they were more gun friendly to the people that spen money.

snubbies
September 22, 2010, 03:21 PM
I am sure there are those that have sent letters and e-mail genuinely felt their efforts were directed at changing a policy they perceived as unjust or discriminatory. Apparently they and I have been deceived if what Chevelle says is the consenus of the members.

hso
September 22, 2010, 03:35 PM
The only consensus here is that the TRU policy is unjust and/or discriminatory and that a grassroots approach is being followed in this thread to motivate TRU to change the policy to a gun owner neutral policy.

Some see asking them to reconsider as the approach to take. Some see asking them to change the policy as well as denying them their business as the approach to take. Both approaches, and others, have been clear from the start. The only approach that I'd rather members not take is simply refuse to darken a TRU door ever again without sending an explanation as to why so that TRU has a chance to see they have options with gun owners that they can regain the trust and business they loose.

CHEVELLE427
September 22, 2010, 03:55 PM
i feel policy will change when the bottom line on money making changes.

if gun owners spend there money else were on the bias of no guns allowed in there store.

policy will change or TRU will suffer a loss. :rolleyes:

the more they loose the more they might think there change was not the right call ,:eek:
same as the change this country has been forced to do in the past 2 years.

we are working on changing it back as well.;)

snubbies
September 22, 2010, 05:17 PM
Unfortunately that is the result of this for some of the members. If you want to control the tone of the boycott HSO take charge.

Old krow
September 22, 2010, 07:22 PM
Anyone else think of any talking points chime in.

Just my .02; The policy ONLY restricts law abiding citizens from carrying concealed weapons putting the law abiding citizen, or children of said law abiding citizen in harms way.

There is statistical evidence to back this up. I'd have to search for the studies again, but recent shootings prove the case.

I'm a little confused on the "punishment" thing. Looks like you guys are splitting hairs.

It is more likely that an insurance company/policy is driving this to try and save money on costs and liability. If that is the case, the bottom line is the only reasonable target.

Those that refuse to compromise have taken the first step toward failure.

In some cases I would agree, in this case I do not, and this is why; It's a blatant disregard for my families' security so that they can save a couple dollars. I am not a "gun owner" to them, I am a customer. They do not care about my rights or my safety, only my money. If they do ANYTHING to make me think this is not the case it is only to make me feel secure enough to spend money there.

This road to hell is paved with good intentions and a compromise is meeting the devil halfway.

snubbies
September 22, 2010, 07:58 PM
OLD KROW

If the compromise reached would allow licensed individuals to conceal carry would your resistance be satisfied??? I can't get my head around the safety concerns. I grant that being armed gives you a better chance of survival but is no guarantee. Does anyone know the probability factors of being shot in a place of business vs. the street or other public place. Can someone give me the basis of the contention TRU has violated their rights. There is no law or statute that guarantees the right to carry a gun on private property without permission of the owner. The law has excluded the right to carry in public areas such as schools so the right to carry is not absolute. It is controlled by the State, witness Illinois and Wisconsin.

Old krow
September 22, 2010, 08:42 PM
Snubbies,

I can't get my head around the safety concerns.

It is no guarantee at all, but it does help the odds. I'll give you an example and I hope that nobody takes this the wrong as it is an issue that I am somewhat close to. I certainly do not mean to disgrace the soldiers that died there. The incident at Fort Hood; if only %25, or even %10 of the people there were armed would there have been as many people die? No doubt people would have died, but knowing that 1/4 or 1/10 could kill him before he did the damage he did would he have reconsidered.

Doesn't somebody here have a quote that reads "in a situation where seconds count the police are only minutes away?"

Can someone give me the basis of the contention TRU has violated their rights.

If it were really an issue of "violation" it could go to court and be resolved. It isn't and it is their right. It is also my right to shop elsewhere. To not let them know WHY is to merely punish them with no hope of an outcome that's beneficial to anyone. I keep my CCW, they get money, we're all one big happy family. Those are the terms of the arrangement. As far as a state banning CCW then that's a separate issue. What's ironic is that I don't CCW. I understand THX's point and I personally do not believe that we should give up ground.

I agree that there's power in numbers and a unified front should be chosen. The only real question that I have is how are we representing ourselves? Have we chosen? Many have said "hit the bottom line" and that is viable IMO, but at the same time we need to let them know why we're unhappy and it looks like email is out. How about a petition? Utilize the radio show seems like a great idea.

CHEVELLE427
September 22, 2010, 08:46 PM
better chance of survival but is no guarantee

true, but i do know one thing.

i wont be getting shot for free. unless it is into my back.

if this was not a concern with the public now days their would not be a run on CCW permits. and all would be safe in the world, and the bad guys would just keep to killing each other. but any gun free zone is a hot zone for crime

gretzfan
September 24, 2010, 02:13 AM
I’m not an attorney; however, when I shop Toys R Us I ignore the open carry sign if one is posted. I will not inconvenience myself and family by searching for an alternate store to take my business. Nor will I waste time sending emails to corporate generating a generic response. As far as I’m concerned I am going to conduct business in the store as I normally would. You are not breaking a law you are ignoring a store policy. A policy often interpreted by on duty store employees. By policy Toys R Us employees are not allowed to confront or accuse a shopper that commits a theft, even if they personally witness the crime. Theft is a crime, not a simple store policy.
If I was legally carrying and staff refused to accept my transaction I would politely inform them that I was not violating any law. I would explain that if I left my firearm in the car it would be unsafe and against the law. I am a responsible person and I’m confident Toys R Us would not condone this unsafe and illegal conduct. As soon as I pay, I’ll be on my way.
If they continued to refuse service I would politely ask that they call the police. If the employee is not allowed confront a customer they observed commit theft, chances are they will be unwilling to call police for fear of violating company policy. Defamation of character lawsuits are very expensive for the business to defend not to mention the enormous payouts when substantiated. The company mandates letting known theft suspects leave the store with unpaid merchandise considering it a, “Cost of doing business.”
Chances are they are just going to ring you up. If they refuse politely inform them that you will call police yourself and step to the side. If other customers are in line allow them to complete transactions in front of you while you wait. Up to this point, at least in my state, you have not come close to violating any law, nor should you- ever.
Call police and tell the dispatcher you are in a business dispute with TOYS R US employees and request a, “Civil stand-by.” The police will not be dispatched to a criminal investigation rather a civil dispute. Similar to, “I broke up with my boyfriend and he won’t give me my shoes back.”
If Toys R Us still refuses to conduct your transaction wait for police. When they arrive expect them to ask for your identification. Let them know you are legally carrying and OFFER to let them remove your gun from the holster for safekeeping during the incident. Chances are they will tell you, “You are on private property. They have the right to refuse service if they wish.”
At this point politely tell the officers you understand. Ask store employee’s if they intend to have you arrested for trespassing while exercising your constitutional rights. With the exception of trained loss prevention, employee’s are not permitted to arrest a customer for theft and certainly not permitted to arrest someone based on their interpretation of trespassing.
In my state you can’t be arrested from a retail establishment unless you’re advised that you are trespassing and then refuse to leave. Police cannot force you to leave unless the store is willing to prosecute and by policy they can’t. Politely leave the store anyway and thank the police. Tell the manager and store employees that you feel the store did not treat you fairly and you intend to seek legal advice.
Worst case scenario you will create a hornets’ nest at corporate. Toys R Us will have to notify cooperate regarding law enforcement inside the store and they must notify the legal department when litigation is brought up. Contact corporate yourself; tell them how embarrassed you were when the store called police on you when you did not commit a crime. If you called, tell them you were discriminated against and the store RUFUSED to call police when you asked. Tell corporate that Toys R Us threatened you with arrest if you didn’t leave. Let them know how embarrassed you were, how unfair you were treated and discriminated against for doing nothing more than exercising your rights, and that you reserve the right to seek legal advice.
The legal department will be forced to consider the current policy. You will have far more exposure from the incident in the store versus a simple email.
Best case scenario is the store manager or employee allows you to complete the transaction, even if it’s just to, “Get you out of the store.” If you complete a transaction be sure to identify the manager and employees working. Send a thank you letter to corporate. In the letter identify the store by number and location and thank all employees by name and then post your letter here.
If Toys R Us contests your future open carry purchase repeat the above and ask why you are being discriminated against when past practice has allowed you to make a purchase under the identical circumstances.

CHEVELLE427
September 24, 2010, 08:21 AM
Choice

GOOD LUCK WITH THIS , KEEP US POSTED.

in FL if there is a sign NO GUNS,you better not get caught with one , believe it is a misdemeanor but you just might be charged with what ever they see fit to charge you with.
will have to search for the rule, but as i remember it we can carry,, except IN fed buildings, school's, school functions,hospitals and old folks homes and were a sign says NO GUNS. AND ANY WERE ALCOHOL IS SERVED FOR CONSUMPTION ON PROPERTY

hso
September 24, 2010, 08:40 AM
Legal advice is usually valid only for a specific jurisdiction and dangerous to generalize as if it were universally applicable. It is critically important to understand what ALL the laws in your jurisdiction are before performing what is essentially a form of passive resistance to injustice. IOW, know what all the laws in your area say before you sit at the lunch counter or go to the drinking fountain. By law in TN, ignoring a simple circle slash sign is a felony for a HCP holder and could result in the HCP holder loosing their right to carry or possess any firearm. Knowing this tells people in my state just what the consequences can be of any attempt to protest a bad policy or law so they can make an informed decision about what they may face. Know the law for your jurisdiction before taking a direct action approach in protest of private business policies or local/state/fed law.

Being proactive and working to have the "gunbuster" postings removed from all stores in all states helps all gunowners everywhere and even the businesses who've made the mistake of deciding to put them up.

snubbies
September 24, 2010, 09:44 AM
Every State and every jurisdiction has different laws rules and regulations covering trespassing. Every place of business has the right to refuse you service and escort you from the premises. This has nothing to do with rights to carry a firearm in accordance with State & Federal law. Calling the Police will provide the means for the store to enforce the trespassing issue. I don't know all of the States Laws in this matter so what I say here may not be exact. In those States where it is a misdemeanor or even a felony why would anyone risk arrest and charges to prove a point.

thx997303
September 24, 2010, 11:59 AM
gretz,

There are no "open carry signs" The store bans any and all firearms (except police of course)

You say you wouldn't inconvenience yourself with avoiding shopping there, but you would go through the whole debacle you explained?

snubbies
September 24, 2010, 01:27 PM
Anyone keeping score on the number of e-mails and snail mail sent????

CHEVELLE427
September 24, 2010, 03:08 PM
i think enough for them to shut down the email address if it was the correct one listed

jdrink
September 27, 2010, 01:26 AM
I am not an attorney either, but I believe in some states it is state law that you are not permitted to carry a concelaed weapon anywhere there is a sign stating no firearms allowed. This would be considered a violation and you would lose you permit. I would rather shop at Walmart anyway, but I sent corporate at Toys-R-Us letting them know I would no longer be shopping there.

altitude_19
September 27, 2010, 05:16 AM
Nebraska enforces signs. They even have a recommended placard if you want to place your business off limits. So yes, it can be enforcable by law (some places).

CHEVELLE427
September 27, 2010, 09:29 AM
as for WM i have heard but not seen or looked for it but there is suppose to be a sign there as well, i was told it is around the customer service area, i don't get any service while I'm there and I'm sure not going to customer service to try to get any, so i have not seen one (yet) not on the frt door I'm going in, post it there ill go somewhere else......that could be a good thing====== I HATE WM:barf:=====price is the only reason i see to go there. if money was not so tight :eek: i wouldn't shop there, but us poor folk have to make it stretch :o

snubbies
September 27, 2010, 11:32 AM
http://www.nofirearmsallowed.com/Welcome.html

snubbies
September 27, 2010, 11:43 AM
http://www.handgunlaw.us/

alexp
September 30, 2010, 03:46 PM
Does this ban hold for all States where Toys R Us have stores and Open Carry is allowed

Cactus Jack Arizona
September 30, 2010, 03:56 PM
When it comes to the safety of myself and my family, if Papa can't carry, the family don't patronize. Good-Bye, TRU. :neener:

thx997303
September 30, 2010, 11:01 PM
alexp, All firearms are banned from All TRU locations.

thx997303
October 8, 2010, 01:07 PM
Well, I haven't gotten any response from my e-mails.

TRU can rot for all I care.

They obviously do NOT care about their customer's opinions.

Ramman911
October 8, 2010, 06:37 PM
Here is the Email I just sent them..... Doubt I will see any reply like many others here.

Dear TRU,

I have just been informed of your corporate policy against law abiding citizens carrying weapons inside your stores, whether it be open carry or concealed carry. Neither I, my family, or any of the companies that I represent for purchasing will be spending any more money in your stores. This policy is a travesty in the fact that you are sending the message out there that I am not able to protect my own family or myself while in your stores while an armed robber can just stroll right in and shoot or kill as many people as they please with no resistance. I hope that you are aware that those of us who can legally carry a weapon have been checked through a federal database and fingerprinted by the FBI. Not to mention the number of classes many of us have attended to safely carry in public.

Between all the purchase orders and personal money I spend every year, your company will be losing what averages to be $12,000.00 revenue for the local stores in the up and coming year. I have absolutely no problems disqualifying your companies from the list of authorized stores to shop at. There are a lot of people who are very adamant about their Second Amendment rights (yes I am aware that privately owned companies have the right to ban guns otherwise this e-mail would not be necessary) and suspect that I am not the only person who will be forced to take our money to competitors. During these difficult economic times I am sure THEY have no problems with the revenue stream coming their way instead of coming to your establishments.

Once this policy is lifted I will be more than happy to once again shop at your stores as will I am sure many others whom I have had the pleasure of conversing with on multiple weapons related sites.

Thank You Very Much For Your Time,

Me

thx997303
October 8, 2010, 07:18 PM
Wow, 12K a year on toys?

That's a kick in the pants right there.

TrickyDick
October 8, 2010, 08:01 PM
Dear T.R.U.,
It has recently come to my attention that all of your stores, nationwide, have now become a safety risk. I am referring to the newly instated anti-gun policy. I can no longer feel safe inside your stores due to the lack of security. Cameras do not stop criminals, but only records them. I do not rely on stores to make me safe, that is why I carry my own "safety". However, because of your new policy, I have now become a defenseless victim. If you are going to enforce this policy, I suggest you should hire an armed guard. Or on an economical, and logical stand point, you could just leave it to those who prefer to protect themselves by their own means. But I see that you have this warm feeling thinking that you have created a "Safe-Zone", when actually, you have created what some call a "Funnel of Death". Now, it makes me feel warm inside to know that you either; A. Don't care about the vulnerability you have created which could end in certain death, or B. You have no logic, you lack the mental capacity to understand such a simple concept, or simply a moron, and therefore, the implementer of this policy must be a democrat.

Yours Truly,
Somebody who cares.

Mags
October 8, 2010, 08:17 PM
A little abrasive Tricky, you also should have left political parties out so you don't sound biased.

Ramman911
October 8, 2010, 09:22 PM
LOL ya around 12k is correct. I'm a controller for a Higher end Hotel Chain in my region. (So I can authorize the folks to only purchase from certain stores :) )

We buy a lot of items for VIP guests and their kids, party items, buy x-mas gifts most years for employees kids (nothing huge but it all adds up), etc. Some years its more others it is less.

Snakum
October 8, 2010, 09:34 PM
It's just an opinion, and you know how those are. But I feel that getting loud when asked to leave due to OC does the cause no good. Nor does ranting about political parties when discussing 2nd Amendment Rights with others. When you have the opportunity to educate others remember that your demeanor reflects on us all. We don't need people reinforcing stereotypes.

I was once challenged while OCing in a Food Lion grocery store by a somewhat belligerent manager and by her security guard. I poured on the syrupy sweet respectfulness (Yes mam. No mam. I understand, mam.) while still educating them about the Food Lion corporate policy and rather than leaving, which I told her I would certainly do, I wound up staying and shopping and having a conversation with the guard about his duty weapon (he was carrying a Glock 22, I was carrying a 23). Never had another problem with her when carrying. Sometimes it's better for the cause to swallow the bile and pour on the sugar, and comply respectfully while still educating. That's how we can best make people comfortable again about OC.

cambeul41
October 8, 2010, 09:55 PM
Snakum --

Smooth!

Lou McGopher
October 8, 2010, 11:42 PM
I'll join in on this, after holiday shopping.

As Snakum mentioned, I'll be sure to be my usual polite self, even though this sorely disappoints me. I had been looking forward to shopping there for Christmas.

I plan on starting off the letter with a copy of my receipt from a competitor, stating that I wanted to spend it at TRU, but couldn't due to their policy. I'll explain that it isn't that I feel unsafe in their store, but that violent crime can happen anywhere - their store, their parking lot, the gas station I'll stop at on the way home, my own driveway - and as such I've made it a habit to carry all the time. I'll explain that a big reason I carry is to protect the very kids for whom I bought all the toys. I'll let them know my friends and family who carry have likewise shopped elsewhere, and that I've encouraged countless others on online firearms-related forums to shop elsewhere. I'll conclude by thanking them for their time, with the hope that they reverse the policy, so that I may once again patronize their stores.

daorhgih
October 9, 2010, 12:12 AM
It ended in dual-homicide of both men involved. This may be one reason for the "No Gun" policy. Just my $0.02.

Pictures
October 9, 2010, 12:22 AM
I wish I had your problems. I can't carry...period. Thanks NY!

archigos
October 9, 2010, 12:43 AM
I wish I had your problems. I can't carry...period. Thanks NY!
Are you downstate? Otherwise, pretty much every county issues permits, they just make you go through varying levels of red tape to get one.

Pictures
October 9, 2010, 12:46 AM
Woah...where did I ask if you were downstate?

I'm from Onondaga county. You can't get a carry permit. That's all there is to it.

archigos
October 9, 2010, 12:55 AM
I'm from Onondaga county. You can't get a carry permit. That's all there is to it.
I'm not going to advise you to ignore the judge's preference, especially because in NY a judge can revoke your permit at any time without any reason.
However, as I believe Onondaga does issue pistol permits, I'm going to point out:
In NYS (excepting NYC and Suffolk and Nassau counties), a permit to own a handgun is a permit to carry a handgun concealed. Period. Although they might state "Hunting and Target Only" or something similar, that "restriction" does not carry weight of law. It is a judge's preference, and only a judge's preference.
If you have a permit with one of these bogus restrictions and are truly wanting to carry to defend yourself, you probably should review the law closely and/or seek legal counsel.

P.S. Sorry about the misquote before. I accidentally placed my own text in your quote. Its fixed now.
P.P.S. Sorry to everyone about getting sidetracked from the focus of this thread, but I considered this important information. Its something that I think is important to be shared with many, not just one person, hence my choice not to PM.

Pictures
October 9, 2010, 01:00 AM
Ha, yeah, I thought that might have happened.

If I had bottomless coffers to get legal counsel and fight this, I would, but I just don't have to have that kind of cash and I don't want to risk getting caught with one and becoming a felon.

I just hope that they put on my tombstone: "Died because he couldn't get his CCW."

Still, I'll join in on the boycott.

Pictures
October 9, 2010, 01:01 AM
Double post. Sorry.

Kingofthehill
October 16, 2010, 04:05 PM
Gotta love the Holiday season :)

My fiancee and I work for a huge company and just in our building alone with 3,000 employees, someone is always having a child and my fiancee is in charge of gift cards and toys from TRU or KB for about 3 years now.

Im happy to say that this thread has given me the info i need to share with her the need to find a new source for gifts. She estimates 2-4k each year between the holiday season and new arrivals to the family.

I have also sent an email to TRU and have spread this to my car forums i frequent. Especially with the upcoming holiday season and various car clubs throwing events that require toy donations as an entry fee, im sure this will keep money out of TRU's pocket :)

Ryanxia
October 21, 2010, 06:34 PM
Keep up the good work. Although many of us haven't posted in this thread and others like it, we still observe the boycott in the fight to protect our rights. Several of my friends (and of course myself) have stopped shopping at TRU until this matter is resolved, if it ever is.

The one good thing about this economy is that corporate policies like this are sometimes enough to make or break a company.

:neener:

thx997303
November 4, 2010, 04:15 PM
Thought I would update this with some information some may find interesting.

It appears that TRU is being very consistent in their application of their no guns policy.

TRU has confirmed that the no gun policy applies to Uniformed law enforcement officers who are not there in an official capacity.

While I agree 100% with a business' ability to refuse service to absolutely anyone, I think that banning anybody based on whether they are armed or not is ridiculous, and only further makes their stores dangerous.

Erik M
November 4, 2010, 06:54 PM
i know someone that went to a copy store and had about 500 flyers printed and then spent an evening with friends stapling them to phone poles and the like. It did not sway the local business from changing its no firearms (concealed or not) policy but it did catch the eye of the local newspaper, i'm sure they lost business from it. I would think being a mom and pop store you wouldn't want anything negative affecting your business after wal-mart moved into town.

gretzfan
November 4, 2010, 08:18 PM
I had an idea for the corporate folks at Toys R Us. I legally choose to carry concealed for my and my family's safety. Since learning of the TRU boycott of legally armed citizens I choose to take my business elsewhere.

A company executive told me that last year many Toys R Us stores had to be permanently closed. Due in part to the current economy, but mainly due to loss experienced from theft.

Some stores had shortages in excess of $125,000.00 or 3% of sales. The loss from external theft and fraud is not only compromising the current stores the company will not build any new brick and motor stores at all. The only current option is to open a store in a mall or strip mall where the building already exists. The company will try a tentative or seasonal lease to see if they can profit.

I suggested that under the firearm boycott they also post, "THEFT AND FRAUD IS NOT ALLOWED IN TOYS R US."
I haven’t seen any of the new signs up which leads me to believe they do not expect the same compliance from those who choose not to abide by the law.

dc.fireman
November 5, 2010, 03:13 PM
Thank you for the info, OP. TRU corporate surely didn't think the ramifications of posting these new signs 45 days before "Black Friday". I won't be spending a dime there either.

therewolf
November 15, 2010, 02:57 AM
OK, it is on.

I just sent TRU an email stating neither I, my family, nor my friends would be using them for the Holiday season.

Let's dig in hard and rip 'em good with the boycott at Christmas!;)

thisisoriginal
November 15, 2010, 09:38 AM
hide the gun under your coat :) problem solved.

I don't agree with their policy, but expecting my baby come March, babies R us is really the only good place around here for my wife to register.

thx997303
November 15, 2010, 10:48 AM
That could result in an arrest, criminal proceedings, and the possible revocation of your concealed carry permit in some states.

grubbylabs
November 15, 2010, 11:27 AM
This is a tough situation for me, I really see both sides of it. While I truly do understand your point and agree with you, I also think that we should also be understanding of their property rights its their property. I was asked at a Costco to not carry, they let me finish my shopping and did not make it a big deal so I was not upset they were merely exorcising their rights. I think that making an effort to get them to change their minds without being malicious is the right way to go. And so far you all seem to be respectful in voicing your opinions to them.

thx997303
November 15, 2010, 06:30 PM
See, we are respecting their property rights.

Many of us, myself included, have made the decision, if I can't carry, I wont go there.

It's really a responsible decision, and one that I will hold very firmly to so long as I can. (Unfortunately, I do occasionally have to go places that I can't carry, and have no choice whether I go or not.)

The ONLY way to both respect their property rights, and hold firm to my decision, is to not shop there.

It becomes a boycott when I let them know why I don't shop there anymore, and inform my like minded friends. Nothing malicious going on here. :cool:

CHEVELLE427
November 15, 2010, 06:47 PM
my second ex heard i was not shopping there because of there new policy and took the opportunity to jab me by saying she felt safer shopping were nobody is allowed to carry a gun.:what:

guess she doesn't know i know her new husband has a CCP.:confused:

bet he takes it in when he goes in.:rolleyes:

no wonder i don't care for ex's.:banghead:

point of this is to show the mind set of some that if the sign states no guns allowed nobody will bring any in , including the bad guys.:scrutiny::banghead::scrutiny:

untill we retrain the public this is a no win war.:eek:

then again she does not like me much either and would rat me out if i was to be seen in toy-r-us.:fire:

grubbylabs
November 15, 2010, 06:52 PM
I think you are being being respectful, it looks like you sent them a respectful letter explaining why they were loosing your business. How can they ask for more, your response is very fair. I just think that if they ask in a polite way then I respect that. But when they get snotty about it is when I want to boycott and complain about them.

whalerman
November 15, 2010, 08:45 PM
I never understand how this site works. I thought everyone was doing ok, following the rules and all. But I see we're being bad again and being threatend with being shut down. Hopefully, this won't violate any rules.

I support what you are doing and will tell our local Toy R Us about my disagreement with their policy.

22-rimfire
November 15, 2010, 10:30 PM
If this is a big deal to you, I would voice my opinion against their policy. I don't know of a viable substitute for the selection of toys available at Toys R Us. I seldom look for signs at stores and would likely carry inside if I was carrying that day. Nobody would ever know because it's concealed and stays concealed.

Gouranga
November 16, 2010, 12:11 PM
Certainly is a good substitute. There are a lot of them. And I can save a couple bucks. Got some local ma and pa stores, or God forbid Walmart, Target, or KMart which all permit CCW in their stores.

A said before they absolutely have the right to post if they wish. Freedom to do so does NOT make them free from the business repercussions of doing so though. Personally, my local TRU is in a questionable part of town anyway. They have NO security and now the local THUGS know there is a large store with people unarmed with kids.

You know my church asked us not to carry our weapons into the building, when they asked they at least had the consideration to add ARMED security (off duty city cops)inside the building and in the parking lot. TRU has done none of this. They have no security armed or otherwise. They have done absolutely nothing to make their stores safer, in fact they have made them less safe for law abiding citizens.

"hide the gun under your coat..." - IMO, breaking the law (assuming sign holds weight of law in your state), is never the way to go. If we break the law we are no longer the law abiding armed citizen.

oneounceload
November 16, 2010, 12:36 PM
I don't know of a viable substitute for the selection of toys available at Toys R Us.

Walmart, Target, and the internet are why TRU is closing stores and losing business. Much better choices elsewhere at less than full retail that TRU charges. This way you can stay true to your conviction and get the toys you want for your kids

jeepguy
November 18, 2010, 07:04 PM
i will not be shopping there this christmas and every christmas they have this policy. i am also on a few forums and will pass this along.

CharlesT
November 30, 2010, 03:20 PM
Toys 'R' Us has their rights as such.

BUT, they are a company that changes and morphs to keep the customers happy and to do that now, they have to lift this preposterous ban.

Was actually thinking of going there today to pick something up. Not anymore. lol

CHEVELLE427
November 30, 2010, 04:57 PM
If this is a big deal to you, I would voice my opinion against their policy. I don't know of a viable substitute for the selection of toys available at Toys R Us. I seldom look for signs at stores and would likely carry inside if I was carrying that day. Nobody would ever know because it's concealed and stays concealed.

but if your luck is like mine, bad guy comes in to kill a bunch of people and you stop him , hurray for you,
:D:):cool::D
then they arrest you for violating the no gun rule:uhoh:

Kentucky_Rifleman
November 30, 2010, 08:59 PM
I sent an email to TRU today stating that I was boycotting their stores and encouraging everyone I know to do the same. I politely explained my reasons.

A few months back, Kroger pulled this same policy out of their corporate bag, and the speed and volume of negative feedback from customers convinced them to do a quick about-face.

Boycotting works. It has worked since the practice began. We are many and we are committed. I love my brothers and sisters in arms.

I don't know about other states, but the law in Kentucky says that any business can post a no-weapons-allowed sign. Kentuckians can ignore the signs and carry concealed inside. The worst that can happen is that business personnel figure out a customer is carrying concealed and ask that customer to leave.

Failure to leave when asked by business personnel opens the carrier to trespassing charges.

KR

Uniquedot
November 30, 2010, 10:14 PM
wow

I would have hoped that one who is about begin the process of raising a child would care more about principles than convenience.

I agree.

Old krow
December 1, 2010, 12:36 AM
I sent an email to TRU today stating that I was boycotting their stores and encouraging everyone I know to do the same. I politely explained my reasons.

So did I.

hso
December 1, 2010, 01:17 PM
Re: Only good place to register.

I understand the convenience of one stop shopping, but consider that registering at more than one place can achieve both goals of providing a good selection while sending a message to the TRU folks. Taking those steps may be a slightly more inconvenient, but Between Target/KMart/Sears and other stores you may find that everything on your baby list can be had pretty easily.

Guillermo
December 1, 2010, 01:54 PM
it was pointed out that my former post was not persuasive or understanding.

They are absolutely correct.

In addition to apologizing I would like to encourage anyone not to do business with an "anti" company. Register with someone who supports freedom. Do not compromise for convenience.

Standing on those principles not only is the right thing to do but is instructive to those around us, especially children.

I am proud to say that whenever I have said "I will not shop there" when I have changed my mind my daughter calls me on it. With that hawk looking over me you had best believe that I had better have a good reason for changing. This is all to say that I have (hopefully) passed the idea of standards and principals onto my child.

In addition to being the right thing to do for us here and now, it helps create a better future.

hso
December 1, 2010, 04:12 PM
In addition to being the right thing to do for us here and now, it helps create a better future.

Guillermo's hit the target squarely here. It is exactly about making changes for a better future for ourselves and our family and friends.

thx997303
December 1, 2010, 06:29 PM
Principles and consistency are very important while raising children.

I trust black friday was a bust for TRU?

I bet it was.

Mags
December 1, 2010, 09:50 PM
My son was born last Wednesday. We registered at Target after seeing Toys R Us' policy. I also spent about 800 dollars on baby stuff at Target instead of a TRU affiliate. When Christmas shopping this year guess where we will buy our toys? Yep, Target.

Guillermo
December 1, 2010, 10:52 PM
I also spent about 800 dollars on baby stuff at Target instead of a TRU affiliate.

be sure to tell them that

adding a receipt makes it real

hso
December 1, 2010, 11:07 PM
Anyone else enjoy the irony of "Target" vs. Babies R Us?

Carter
December 1, 2010, 11:27 PM
Principles and consistency are very important while raising children.

I trust black friday was a bust for TRU?

I bet it was.

Sadly the TRU here had a massive line through the entire parking lot and extending in to two other parking lots on black friday.

Crawlin
December 2, 2010, 03:43 PM
Thanks for this info, I just wrote a letter and we will be returning the gifts we bought for my son for Christmas.

I spend time away from my family to train both from teachers and personally to insure that if there is any threat to their life, I can protect them. The last thing I am going to is leave that protection in the car.

If you enjoyed reading about "Toys 'R' Us: Boycott." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!