speer gold dot 115 grain opinions?

PDA

jon86
September 10, 2010, 04:38 PM
I am using these right now in my wife's G17, only because I found a good deal on a lot of them. I am trying to find terminal ballistics info about them, but can't find much. Any opinions on this ammo? Should I switch to something a little heavier in 124 grains? I realize that I am splitting hairs here. It wouldn't matter to me, but this is my wife's primary defensive firearm. I want to be pretty confident in this round's ability as a handgun round. Thanks for reading!

If you enjoyed reading about "speer gold dot 115 grain opinions?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
gearchecker
September 10, 2010, 04:57 PM
I'm going to assume you are referring to 9mm since it's a G17. (I'm not a Glock shooter, they all look the same to me). I have both weights in my ammo can, since that's all that was available at the time. It won't make much difference inside of 10 yds with either bullet weights. They'll both have more than enough capability to resolve an issue quickly. There will be a slight difference in POI but that's marginal.
The 115 gr. has higher velocity, but the 124 weight behind it makes up for the slight difference in speed.
The only noticable difference I can tell is recoil and sound levels. I prefer the 124 gr. in my Smith 669 for the best of both worlds. My wife has the 119's for her Walther PPS. They're both moderately expensive rounds, so figure out which works with your shooting style and which you're pistol likes the best.
There will be many others chime in on this, and we'll all have different opinions based on our own shooting preferences.
My simple advice is try them both and see which you like the best. Then have your wife do the same. If you're lucky, you'll both like the same ammo so you'll only need to keep 1 box of it around.

FastMover
September 10, 2010, 04:58 PM
The GDHP is a proven performer. Instead of ditching your current crop of ammunition I would hit the range and focus on shot placement.

El Prez, Bill Drill, Mozambique Drills, Etc until she is getting consistant "A" ring shots.

jon86
September 10, 2010, 05:23 PM
Thanks for the responses. Not surprisingly, she is much better with a handgun than I am.

Waywatcher
September 10, 2010, 05:37 PM
What FastMover said.

I don't worry about bullet selection much anymore. As long as it functions the action and hits where I point, I don't waste my brainpower on it. It's such a small thing in the big scheme of things really.

A good bargain JHP is Remington's 115 JHP. Marshall and Sanow stats are decent for it, and it seems to be readily available and affordable.

Taurus 617 CCW
September 10, 2010, 06:08 PM
Excellent round! I carry those and the 124 grain bullets in my Glock 19 (whatever I can find on the shelf).

If you enjoyed reading about "speer gold dot 115 grain opinions?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!