Mountian quail and grouse

PDA

Victor1Echo
September 10, 2010, 07:55 PM
Tommorrow is the opener for mountian quail and grouse. I will be roaming for both. My first time! So what ammo to use? I have a 12 guage with a mod choke.

If you enjoyed reading about "Mountian quail and grouse" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
oneounceload
September 10, 2010, 08:11 PM
Out West, these birds, hunted over dogs, were fairly close. Spreader loads with a Mod would do well, but I suspect they are not available there. Light loads with 7-1/2 or 6 will do fine - just don't shoot them under 15 yards if you want to eat them

ArmedBear
September 12, 2010, 07:14 PM
Where are you?

The toughest part of mountain bird hunting is finding the !@#$ things before your legs give out from climbing.:)

Just got back from a long combo of Jeeping and hiking around the local mountains looking for grouse. Two big-running dogs, still zero birds, and I know we were in grouse country because we have found them there in the past, as well as recently. The elevation gains when we were hiking really took a lot out of us.

So remember: it's mountain climbing too, not just hunting. Remember to stop and enjoy the views, the forest sounds, and everything around you. You can buy chicken at the store.

Best of luck!

Victor1Echo
September 12, 2010, 11:37 PM
I am in the Owens Valley, California. I ended up going out with 8. Yesterday, I found some mountian quail, and got a few shots off, no quarry. Today, I hiked around in the Sierras for a few hours at 10,000/11,000 feet looking for grouse. No luck, but had a magical time! Then I went out for dove in the evening, no luck there either. That's okay, becasue I had a magical time! I think I will post about it.

Ridgerunner665
September 12, 2010, 11:48 PM
Dang I miss grouse hunting....since the turkeys took over here in Northeast Tennessee grouse have become nearly extinct in this area.

15 years ago you would jump many of them just walking through the woods...Now, well the last one I've seen (and the only one in about 6 years) was while deer hunting last year...a single bird, flushed on my way to a deer I had shot.

Modified choke, 6 or 7 1/2 shot size...I hunted with an 870, or an 1100, or an Auto 5 or a Sweet 16...depending on the mood I was in, LOL. (usually the 870)

kbbailey
September 13, 2010, 09:31 AM
So remember: it's mountain climbing too, not just hunting. Remember to stop and enjoy the views, the forest sounds, and everything around you. You can buy chicken at the store.

good advice

Victor1Echo
September 14, 2010, 12:45 AM
One of my dogs ran off on me today, and it was really all my fault. I wrote about it on Dakotasin's post about good dogs. I need a few drinks!

Victor1Echo
September 15, 2010, 10:23 AM
A hiker found my dog and brought her back to my house while I was at work. Very relieved and thankful!

If you enjoyed reading about "Mountian quail and grouse" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!