Gen 3 or Gen 4

PDA

tarheel
September 10, 2010, 08:58 PM
Unless I change my mind I am going to get me a new Glock. Either a 19 or 23 have not decided yet. For those of you that have Glocks; which would you choose; the proven Gen 3 or the new Gen 4? And for what reasons? (I know the Gen 4 in 23 is still a little wait in most all shops).

If you enjoyed reading about "Gen 3 or Gen 4" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
REAPER4206969
September 10, 2010, 09:05 PM
GEN3 no question.

Zerodefect
September 10, 2010, 09:09 PM
Deosn't really matter.

But I'm going to vote for a Gen4 G23. Why?
-replaceable back straps, hopefully the after market will make some really cool ones, like an extra fat one for skinney long hands like mine.
-can stipple the backstrap and not permanently damage the gun, just the back strap.
-can put a light on the gen4 rails without the gun loseing 90% of it's reliability like the 3rd gen .40s seem to.

But not all aftermarket parts fit the gen 4's I think? Connectors? Rods?

And my Gen g23 rules the compact high cap world. The gen4 has some big shoes to fill.

DougW
September 10, 2010, 09:13 PM
Gen 1 and 2 are my favorites, so I don't count.

REAPER4206969
September 10, 2010, 09:31 PM
-can put a light on the gen4 rails without the gun loseing 90% of it's reliability like the 3rd gen .40s seem to.
Only a very small amount of Glock's experience this issue. Updated magazines will fix it if it does occur. Don't buy into the internet BS.

Onmilo
September 11, 2010, 09:20 AM
Gen2.
I HATE the damn fingergrooves!

gofastman
September 11, 2010, 11:59 AM
gen 3, simply for the fact the AA .22 conversion kit will not work with the gen 4's, I consider that a must have accessory for Glocks now.

Quiet
September 11, 2010, 12:10 PM
Glock 19 = Gen 3
Glock 23 = Gen4

WillDe83
September 11, 2010, 01:32 PM
I would go with the 3rd generation.

Nushif
September 11, 2010, 02:00 PM
Depends on the model.

I'd trade my G26 in for a slightly slimmer Gen4 one in a heartbeat. But in an already fat Glock (i.e Most of their .45 types) I'd see no purpose for the extra money.

jrod
September 13, 2010, 02:21 AM
Have Gen 3's and just got a Gen4 17. Gen 4 functions great,but I just don't care for it.Selling it and will keep the gen3s. Finally tried a CZ75B and ordered one.Feels so much better than my Glocks.

REAPER4206969
September 13, 2010, 03:39 AM
and just got a Gen4 17.
How did you get one in California? Cop?

Full Metal Jacket
September 13, 2010, 03:56 AM

not quite,

there's already a thread on GT where the guy's gen4 g17 only jams when a tac light is attached.

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1258261

besides the other million or so threads with complaints about gen4's jamming.

and no, the "updated recoil assembly" does not always solve these issues.

get a gen3 ;)

Hangingrock
September 13, 2010, 08:09 AM
I noticed that Gun World Oct 2010 issue had an in-depth article on the G22 Gen-4. The article covered changes to the sights, recoil spring/guide assembly, trigger mechanism, magazine release button, magazine, grip frame& backstrap, accuracy&reliability, and summary.

ForumSurfer
September 13, 2010, 08:43 AM
I owned a gen4 17 and I really regret selling it. I currently have a gen3 19 rtf2. If you get a gen4 19 and are unhappy with it...I'll be more than happy to trade you! :)

EMT40SW
September 13, 2010, 10:30 PM
Make sure you get the Glock discount by joining GSSF for $30. If you are a First Responder, a pilot, military, or TSA you get it automatically. Check it out:

http://www.gssfonline.com/GSSF_Pistol_Purchase_Program_Information.pdf

http://www.gssfonline.com/

Full Metal Jacket
September 13, 2010, 10:56 PM
Lightbulb New Glock for $399

nope.

the GSSF discount no longer gets you the LE price.

CPshooter
September 14, 2010, 12:53 AM
Gen 3 for sure. Proven and reliable. Not the case with the gen 4.

I also think the Gen 3s are more aesthetically pleasing.

Glock keeps trying to improve their guns in order to slow down the competition, but they are going about it all wrong. Big time fail with the gen 4 IMHO.

Full Metal Jacket
September 14, 2010, 01:41 AM
Big time fail with the gen 4 IMHO.

agreed.

Mudinyeri
September 14, 2010, 12:16 PM
Interesting ... I've never liked the way Glocks fit in my hand until I shot a Gen 4 G19 with the larger backstrap. It was a LEO's off-duty carry gun so I have a hard time believing it had a history of failures (as a model/generation).

What would you consider the failures of the 4th generation to be? (Yes, I see you said jamming, but what, specifically, is happening?) I don't intend to mount a light (or anything else) on the rail.

Full Metal Jacket
September 14, 2010, 01:04 PM
google "glock gen4 problems". you'll find all the info you need :)

AWorthyOpponent
September 14, 2010, 02:21 PM
google "glock gen4 problems". you'll find all the info you need

There was a problem with the G17 Gen4's, but from what I've read, its a problem that was solved with the updated recoil spring. I got the Glock 19 Gen4 when it came out, have since put about 700 rounds through it. The second round and third round gave me stove pipe jams. I personally attribute these to my own grip and becoming familiar with the new gun. Other than that, I have had no issues while shooting one handed, on its side, rapid fire, etc. I fully trust my Gen4 G19 for EDC, and haven't personally experienced any of the problems I've heard about.

Mudinyeri
September 14, 2010, 04:41 PM
google "glock gen4 problems". you'll find all the info you need :)
I did. I found a lot of people saying they'd heard about problems but only a couple who actually talked about having an issue themselves. They were either new to handguns or new to Glocks.

My own direct experience with a Gen 4 G19 is limited to three rounds. All fired fine. Two of the holes in the target were touching. The owner of the pistol is a LEO who has fired in excess of 1000 rounds through the gun and who carries it every day off duty. That speaks volumes more to me than a bunch of he-said, she-said interweb stuff.

Full Metal Jacket
September 14, 2010, 04:59 PM
There was a problem with the G17 Gen4's, but from what I've read, its a problem that was solved with the updated recoil spring.

sometimes.

I did. I found a lot of people saying they'd heard about problems but only a couple who actually talked about having an issue themselves.

i found countless personal experiences. don't know what to tell you.

md7
September 15, 2010, 11:01 AM
GEN 3 for me. thats what i got, what i like, and what i trust.

*disclaimer- i only know a little about the gen 4's and i have not fired one. all i know is that i like the gen 3, and will stick with that.

RUT
September 15, 2010, 11:51 AM
And to think this same conversation went on when Glock switched from Gen 2 to Gen 3. :p

Dimis
September 15, 2010, 12:41 PM

??? sorry im a bit new to glock i guess cause ive never heard of this can someone explain?

md7
September 15, 2010, 04:30 PM
Dimis,

someone more knowlegable will come along and explain it much better than me. but i'll tell you what i have heard. apparently, some of the gen 3 glocks in .40SW had problems ejecting spent casings if there was a light mounted on the firearm. i do not think that it was very common.

again, someone should come along shortly and elaborate a little on this.

Dimis
September 15, 2010, 05:20 PM
thats just odd to me
how can a device on the barrel (or the polymer frame) cause a FTE?
does it make it easier to limp wrist or something?
sounds to me more of poor form than an actual defect but that just my opinion without a better explanation

Full Metal Jacket
September 15, 2010, 05:47 PM
^^no one knows for sure, but most seem to think it has to do with the frame flexing harmonics being altered when a tac light is attached, but it's only known to affect the gen3 40cals.

the gen3 40cals are known for this. i actually spoke with a policeman that moonlights at one of my local gunshops yesterday. he said every officer in his dept experienced at least one jam when their new surefires were attached to their gen3 g22's.

at the same time, there's a thread on GT where a guy's gen4 g19 only jams when his tac light is attached....

streamlight did their own research into it. glock isn't talking about it, and has never admitted there's an issue. they're shady like that.

http://www.streamlight.com/searchresults.aspx?query=glock%2023

Glock20
September 15, 2010, 06:35 PM
Gen 3............. Although I have not shot a Gen 4, after handling one, I wasn't sold on the changes they made.
Apparently the phrase "if it aint broke don't fix it" doesn't translate to German accurately.

fmfdocglock
September 15, 2010, 06:40 PM
I have had nothing but problems with my Gen4 Glock 17.

I'd recommend the Gen3 as it is a proven platform.

Turn Key
September 15, 2010, 06:54 PM
I just bought a New Gen 3.5 RTF2 Glock 17 and love it. The RTF finish is an excellent improvement.

The only mods I installed were, the 3.5# connector and a set of Heine iron sights. There aren't any aftermarket barrels or parts available yet for the Gen 4 and I already know the proven internal reliability of the Gen 3's.

TK

Dimis
September 16, 2010, 12:51 AM
FMJ thanks for the explanation i guess it makes sense i just found it odd but then again ive never owned a G22 3rd gen

i still plan on a G17 3rd gen tho i just dont like the 4th gen for some reason one of those if it aint broke situations i guess

Full Metal Jacket
September 16, 2010, 01:44 AM
^^no prob my friend :)

yep, you made a good choice in the gen3 g17 :)

md7
September 16, 2010, 12:33 PM
Dimis,

nice choice on the G17 Gen3. it is my favorite autoloading pistol.

for whatever that is worth.

FMJ,

thanks for the technical info.

If you enjoyed reading about "Gen 3 or Gen 4" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!