M&P for sig P229, worth a trade?

PDA

bad86ta
September 11, 2010, 12:24 AM
Hi all, I am looking for a little good advice...

I am looking at trading my full size S&W M&P .40 for a Sig P229 (Pre rail)..
I would consider offering an additional $100 cash...

M&P has less then 250 rds through it, Sig has unknown round count but runs flawless.....
Both have all the normal goodies that go with them...

Is the a reasonable deal or should I look @ something else???

Thanks!

FORGOT: SIG HAS NIGHT SIGHTS, M&P DOES NOT

If you enjoyed reading about "M&P for sig P229, worth a trade?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
wow6599
September 11, 2010, 12:36 AM
As much as I like the M&P, I would make the trade.

mjb
September 11, 2010, 12:38 AM
I am issued a M&P .40 at work (security officer). I own an older Sig 229. Even though the M&P is a good gun, I wished I could carry the Sig. Sounds like a good trade to me.

Welding Rod
September 11, 2010, 12:51 AM
I'd go for the Sig, though I would prefer a 226 instead of the 229. But if the smaller gun is what you want... I say go for it.

MikePGS
September 11, 2010, 12:54 AM
Value wise, the Sig is worth more. For some reason though the P229 fits weird in my hand. That may be different for you of course.

Evergreen
September 11, 2010, 12:59 AM
Nope.. I sold my Sig P229 Elite, which was pretty, but a pain to operate, bulky, heavy and I was nota fan of DA/SA.. I am now have purchased an M&P 9 which , even though is not as pretty/sexy or expensive, I feel has the same accuracy , easier to carry and, at least for me, has smoother operation then the Sig P229 and its safety/deccocker,hammer, DA/SA, etc etc..

Sigs are great guns for the range, but I feel more confident carrying my M&P

YMMV

sig228
September 11, 2010, 01:34 AM
Make the trade. You wont be disappointed.

But, as pointed out by Evergreen, make sure you like the trigger of the Sig. It might be a DA/SA, which is obviously different than the DAO M&P.

Skylerbone
September 11, 2010, 02:00 AM
It might help us all if we knew the rationale for the proposed trade.

I, for one am a big fan of the M&P. I started with the full size 40 after my father talked me out of the Beretta 92 (he carried one as a LEO for several years). The price was right, the ergonomics were right, materials, workmanship, guarantee. Ok, I didn't like the trigger but I remedied that for less than $100.

Since that first purchase, I've added a 9compact and 9long to the M&P stable and all have been absolutely reliable. Before trading and loosing money on another pistol, have a look at these links and see what can be done to an M&P for $100:
http://www.bowietacticalconcepts.com/mandpprices.html
http://www.burwellgunsmithing.com/index.htm

Here's another link to some great accessories:
http://www.speedshooterspecialties.com/catalog/display.php?category=Smith+%26+Wesson+M%26P+9%2F40%2F357

Sometimes we get caught up with what we don't have and fail to realize how good we have it. I could have bought 3 Sigs. I could have bought a Beretta. I spent close to $1,000 this week on a new scope and rings for a favorite rifle. I chose the M&P three times not for price point (which I mentioned was good anyway) and not for looks but because they function properly and are a joy to shoot. I wouldn't take a NIB Sig anything in trade and I respect the Sig's reputation but the M&Ps are just that good.

$75 in Apex parts and 20 minutes to install them will have you wondering why you ever doubted the Smith. If, however there is another issue, there are tons of M&P owners on here who would surely lend some advice.

Best of luck.

Skylerbone
September 11, 2010, 02:06 AM
My Three Amigos. Born and raised in the USA! (and one of their big brothers in the background). I was so happy with the first trigger job, I did the other two myself.
http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=127496&d=1284181352

Manco
September 11, 2010, 10:32 AM
Personally, I didn't choose my M&P40 because it was less expensive than some other guns--I chose it because I liked it best regardless of price. However, if you like the P229 better, then I would say that's more than a fair deal for you based on current market prices, especially considering the night sights. I wouldn't make this trade myself because I'd rather have an M&P40--if I wanted a P229 more, then I would have bought one in the first place instead (nothing against the P229, it's just individual preference).

sigbear
September 11, 2010, 12:43 PM
The M&P is lighter and easier to carry period, the 229 is (IMO) a better gun in every other comparison.

Sigbear

The Lone Haranguer
September 11, 2010, 03:08 PM
SIGs are unquestionably accurate and reliable, but just don't fit my hand like the M&P does, nor do they have a consistent short stroke trigger like the M&P does. Personally I would not make such a trade.

Prion
September 11, 2010, 03:19 PM
Sig.

Skylerbone
September 11, 2010, 03:38 PM
Check out Reaper's post in the Autoloader section entitled "Sig eliminated from ATF trials, S&W Vs. Glock". They were eliminated due to reliability issues with 58 stoppages recorded during phase II of a three phase test. Their protest of the decision was also thrown out.

Lateck
September 11, 2010, 03:47 PM
If the SIG feels good in your hand I'll say trade.

I traded my Glock 22 for a SIG P226 (both .40S&W) :D

Lateck,

Squidbert
September 11, 2010, 05:58 PM
I own both. I shoot the M&P better. They're both great guns though, and you can't go wrong with either. The M&P is definitely a better conceal / carry pistol due to weight and size.

September 11, 2010, 06:23 PM
Check out Reaper's post in the Autoloader section entitled "Sig eliminated from ATF trials, S&W Vs. Glock". They were eliminated due to reliability issues with 58 stoppages recorded during phase II of a three phase test. Their protest of the decision was also thrown out.

Are you serious? How does the elimination of the SIG P250 from a recent ATF selection process have any bearing on whether or not the OP should trade for a P229? Perhaps you'd care to explain your logic? :confused:

:)

Squidbert
September 11, 2010, 06:39 PM
1858, good point - I missed that post. The P250 has little more in common with a classic Sig than the mfr name itself. Sig made just as much of a mistake in stamping that pistol with their name as they did the Mosquito, IMO.

Skylerbone
September 11, 2010, 07:07 PM
It was in response to TheL.H.'s statement that "SIGs are unquestionably accurate and reliable..." His was a general statement about the line rather than the P229, my response was directed toward him rather than the op and was perhaps off point, but a statement of fact none the less.

Another point about reliability is that the P229 (correct me if I'm wrong) was introduced in 40 S&W form in 1994, meaning the specimen being considered MAY BE 16 years old.

The op stated that round count was unknown vs. his M&P which he stated had 250 rounds through it. Having no record of maintenence on what could be a teenage pistol is in my opinion another strike against it, not a universal stamp against Sig. It is another reason for my asking the op his REASON for considering a trade. Having 3 M&Ps which I disliked the stock triggers on leads me to believe that MAY be the culprit.

Until the question is answered, we are all left to draw our own conclusions and give our own opinions. Mine is that few firearms leave their respective manufacturers in perfect form thanks in no small part to lawyers and politicians. Believing the op has the superior of the two pistols (again in my opinion) but is ready to ditch it after so small a round count sends up a red flag. It could be as simple as "I saw it in a movie" or as complex as "I just read about what S&W did during the Clinton administration and can no longer stomach the idea of shooting their products".

Thank you 1858 for pointing out what may have been misleading on my part. It was not meant to be so, nor would I care to be known as a Sig basher.

ET
September 11, 2010, 11:00 PM
Sig.

Sig!

...there that's better.

Prion
September 11, 2010, 11:32 PM
Sig!!!

bad86ta
September 12, 2010, 12:50 PM
The reason for looking at the trade is that while I shoot my M&P good, I still don't shoot it as well as I would like to.... Trigger pull doesn't really bother me but i guess it could be the culprit...

Im going over to my buddies this week to get a better idea of what I like best...
He has 3 sigs, 2 xds, 3 glocks... We'll see which I shoot best....

jeepguy
September 12, 2010, 10:31 PM
i would make the trade i think sig makes a great firearm. except for sp2022,250,mosquito & 238 as i can't recomend these.

mooner
September 13, 2010, 10:00 AM
Keep the M&P and practice more.

Jed Carter
September 15, 2010, 05:45 AM
Get the SIG, the night sights alone are worth the price difference. I have 5 SIGs and have traded off all my S&W pistols over the years, even the old model 39. In each trade I got a pistol that way out performed the Smith I lost. The P229 is a timeless classic, the M&P I would not regret trading.

PAPACHUCK
September 15, 2010, 05:59 AM
I wouldn't trade my Sig P229 for 2 M&P's. And I think the M&P is a fine gun.

MK11
September 15, 2010, 11:10 AM
A couple years ago I was debating between a P228 (which were every hard to find at the time) and an M&P. I went with the Sig, saved up and eventually got the M&P. I love them both and I'd advise you to keep the Sig and get the M&P down the road.

Ala Dan
September 15, 2010, 02:39 PM
SIG's "To Hell & Back Reliability" leaves few doubter's; but their P229 just
seems a bit too top heavy for me. Could be the use of a solid bar of stainless
to make the slide; I do not know~? But, for these reasons I would keep the
S&W~! :uhoh: ;)

Armed012002
September 15, 2010, 09:12 PM
We can't really answer this question for you.

Both are fine weapons with good track records for reliability, durability, mechanical accuracy, and both Sig and Smith & Wesson have good customer service.

Ergonomics is subjective and only you and your hands can decide which weapon feels better.

Fit and feel are important. Secondary to reliability, but fit and feel are requirements to shoot accurately.

Which one feels better and fits you the best?

seed
February 18, 2011, 05:39 PM
I've had the P229 since 1994 and just very recently got an M&P 40c. I love my Sig and so far very much like my M&P. For range time, I would likely opt for my Sig as I shoot it lights out. My M&P is a compact though, so of course it is not as fun to shoot. I imagine the full size is very nice. Still, I have a hard time assuming it would be as nice as the Sig.

For carry, the M&P is lighter which is a huge variable as to how much carry time a gun will get.

For triggers, although the old Sig trigger is nice, it has a loooong reset and of course is DA/SA. M&P's can have gritty triggers out of the box, but they smoothen out. If you want, you can always install an APEX.

Value...That is a tougher one than you might know. Although Sigs are probably worth more, I have been coming upon more than a few for very reasonable prices. As per Rellascout, I believe that the value of many older Sigs being sold for very low prices are probably the best pistol deals going these days. Funny enough though, P228's are much harder to find at great prices versus P229's.

Bottom line, if you are not against polymer framed autos for carry, you should consider the usefulness of the M&P. But if you just have to have a P229, then make the trade and start saving your pennies for your next polymer-framed (light-weight) gun that you will carry in the future. Sigs are worth having...I'm just not sure that they are better for CCW than an M&P or whatever comparably light-weight, polymer-framed pistol.

9mmepiphany
February 18, 2011, 06:02 PM
I'd like to think that in the 5 months that this thread has been dormant, the OP has already decided if he was going to make the trade.

I think we can put this one to bed

If you enjoyed reading about "M&P for sig P229, worth a trade?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!