Hunting buddy system

PDA

Sky
September 11, 2010, 12:28 PM
Back when I was young a horse and a dog along with my chosen weapon for that day was all I felt I needed to be content. Ahhh young bold and not quite beautiful.

We now have all kinds of available electronic devices to send out a Mayday if for some reason things don't go well. Rotten tree branch or a heavenly sent missile to the head might preclude the former.

Cell phones, if they work in a given area are great; if you can tell someone where you are. Big area means better directions on finding you. Would be pretty bad to have 30 minutes of life's blood and the closest help at least an hour away. Heart attack local end of the world etc etc

Onstar and being able to make it back to your car would be a big plus.

I am sure many of you have thought about this and would like to hear your views on preparedness just in case you become immobile. For those who don't give such things much thought it might be wise to give it just a second of your time for planning.

I know what Rambo does but he has a lot of behind the scenes help.

If you enjoyed reading about "Hunting buddy system" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
hardluk1
September 11, 2010, 01:05 PM
I have been look'n at the ( Spot) for emergency's. I motorcyle ride and hunt alot by myself. Get'n older, don't bounce worth a darn anymore and take to long to heal . Gota stay closer to the porch or get some help quicker than waiting for the buzzards.

grubbylabs
September 11, 2010, 01:55 PM
I think some thing that works off a satellite signal would be best. I just have not got around to it yet, it is rare that I go out without at least one other person.

Double Naught Spy
September 11, 2010, 02:08 PM
Spot is good in the sense that it works from more locations than cell phones including in and out of the country, but the downside is that it is 1 way coms. You can request help, but not know if the message is received, if help is coming, or when it will arrive. You can't get verbal assistance. So if you need help triaging an injury until real help arrives, you are on your own. Spot is quicker than buzzards, but limited.

Sat phones are nice. They can be pricey and tempermental, but are a choice. Standby time often sucks, though talk time is pretty good. They won't necessarily send your GPS coordinates like SPOT will.

buck460XVR
September 11, 2010, 02:30 PM
Spent my whole life, headin' into the woods with nuttin' but a compass and a small backpack with a drag rope, extra shells, matches, flashlight, water and a sandwich. Sure is nice nowadays tho, to call the boys on the cell phone when I knock one down half a mile in.

hardluk1
September 11, 2010, 05:35 PM
grubbylabs Spot does have satalite text mess avalible so in affect you can text home and still have all the emergencty use's/

buck460xvr I use to live in southern Florida and hunt in Mid AL and might go up and be alone for 2 or 3 days till a buddy would show up. Being 25 feet up in a tree might not have been the best place to hangout. Now a think about those thinjs more.

OYE
September 12, 2010, 08:47 AM
Let's not be too careful here. Buzzards and coyotes have to eat too. You may live a bit longer with the cell phone and such, but it may be so boring that it will just seem longer.

Sky
September 12, 2010, 11:44 AM
OYE good point....It ain't the dying that bugs me as much as being incapacitated and eaten alive by the fire ants or Texas mosquitoes.

Hope when I get fuzzy around the edges (Star Wars Death) it just happens with little fuss or pain.

OYE
September 13, 2010, 05:12 AM
On late season backcountry hunts, I generally advise anyone invited, that may have a condition considered to be life threatening, to bring a sack of lime. Most have opted out.

If you enjoyed reading about "Hunting buddy system" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!