caliber ?

PDA

45 t
September 12, 2010, 04:58 PM
I'm thinking of buying my wife a Sig P239 for her CCW. I don't know wich calliber to get her (9,40,357sig) anybody have some advice?

If you enjoyed reading about "caliber ?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
September 12, 2010, 05:05 PM
I had one in 40 for several years and while I liked it I always wanted a 10rd mag for it but they only make that in 9mm.

05FLHT
September 12, 2010, 05:21 PM
Take her to a range that has rentals in the different calibers and letting her decide sounds like a win/win to me. You can try and justify 'your' decision to her anyway you want, but it is her gun, right?

killchain
September 12, 2010, 05:25 PM
You're gonna need to take her to the range and let her shoot the various calibers so she picks one she's comfortable with.

But, if for some reason she can't get to the range at all... I would personally pick the 9mm, just for the controllability of the round.

Wolfeye
September 12, 2010, 05:27 PM
Let her shoot all 3 and let her choose. My wife was really particular when I took her gun shopping... I had ideas in my head about what she'd like, but she ended up liking a S&W 642 Ladysmith, because of the grips I think.

But really, let her choose the gun & caliber. In my experience it helped to point out things like the practical differences between different guns & calibers, but I found out I couldn't pick a gun for my wife any more than she could pick shoes for me. You can point out things like cost if she's budget-minded, or try to have her match a caliber you already use so ammo won't be an issue. But the decision will have to be hers if she's going to shoot it, otherwise it will end up sitting in your safe forever.

45 t
September 12, 2010, 05:30 PM
I am thinking of buying my wife a Sig P 239 for her CCW. I can't decide what calliber to get her( 9mm,40 cal, 357sig) knock down, Vs controll. Anyone have any exp. or advice?

millertyme
September 12, 2010, 05:36 PM
My brother has one in .40. The power of the cartridge with the high bore axis of the pistol are not the best for shooting in general. Add the weight of the pistol and he, a 6-0 235lbs man, doesn't care to CCW. I imagine your wife will carry in her purse? If she shoots much and feels competent with the pistol, so be it. My wife (6-0 Hawaiian, collegiate athlete) doesn't like to shoot it, neither does his wife. Has your wife shot one before? Are you hoping she doesn't like it so you can keep if for yourself? Just asking questions. Also, if you're a little fleshy in the web you might get bit if you keep a high grip on it.

millertyme
September 12, 2010, 05:38 PM
I posted on the other thread. It just dawned on me that he could get a 232 for the same or less and the .380 would be great for carry with the new loadings available.

Wishoot
September 12, 2010, 06:15 PM
I'll take control and ability to quickly get back on target over "knock down" power any day. If she can manage a .40 or .45 then that's absoutely great. There's nothing wrong with a 9mm with modern day loads.

Have her shoot everything and let her choose what's best.

Claude Clay
September 12, 2010, 06:43 PM
my sig p239 was born a 40
i got from efkfiredragen a 357sig conversion bbl. and a 9mm conversion bbl. both are ported
all 3 calabers run with the same bbl spring & magazines
POA/POI is spot on for the 40
at 25' drops 3" for the 9mm
drops 6" with the 357 sig bbl.

i carry with the 40 3 seasons and it is a snappy/fast recoil--not for a beginner
winter i carry the 357 cause IMHO it performes better through heavy, layered winter clothing

the 9 (if still available) is usefull for training.

it is one of my most favorite guns--power vs weight vs capacity

the 180 gr 40 is at the same velocity as a 45 acp has (on paper) the same power #'s
the 357 sig at 125 gr has the same vel as a 357 magnum 125gr from a revolver; same #'s on paper but lower percieved recoil than the revolver (of the same weight)

wrs840
September 12, 2010, 06:51 PM
Obviously your wife should pick after shooting various things for a while. My wife likes steel-frame and alloy-frame 9s, and distinctly dislikes any .40 she ever shot. She carries a 3913, and enjoys shooting BHPs and 5904s best.

My brother likes his Sig p239 with the interchangeable .357 Sig .40 bbls though. I've shot it and think it's a really good pistol. It would be hard to imagine it being a good CCW for a woman though, especially if she's a novice shooter.

Les

Larry Ashcraft
September 12, 2010, 07:59 PM
Two identical threads, started a half hour apart. :confused:

Merging them and moving them to the right forum.

If you enjoyed reading about "caliber ?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!