any good electronic hearing protection muffs for less than $50?

PDA

Full Metal Jacket
September 13, 2010, 06:52 AM
thinking about trying some after almost 20 years of shooting.

all input is welcome. thanx :)

If you enjoyed reading about "any good electronic hearing protection muffs for less than $50?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
jcwit
September 13, 2010, 07:11 AM
Howard Leigth Impact Sport muffs run right $50.00. Google Howard Leigth and check out vendors. These are one of the best for the money out their. Learned about them thru an Army Pistol instructor.

mgkdrgn
September 13, 2010, 08:25 AM
I use these and they work just fine. $20.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/stereo-hearing-protection-by-guide-gear.aspx?a=359175

hso
September 13, 2010, 08:47 AM
I'd stick with companies that have been making hearing protection for decades. Peltor. MSA and the already mentioned Howard Leight are reputable hearing protection manufacturers who's products have been in industrial use for a long time.

Full Metal Jacket
September 13, 2010, 08:55 AM
is the noise reduction rating for these electronic ones only for when the electronics are turned on?

ultradoc
September 13, 2010, 09:13 AM
Several months ago I took a trip to Cabelas. I found some for about $17.00 It's my first set of electronic hearing protection. I only have one issue with them. They are not to comfy on the ears. Needs more padding but other than that I am happy. I can't remember what the brand name is though. The ear pieces are green and the rest is black.

Sebastian the Ibis
September 13, 2010, 09:19 AM
I picked up a pair of the Caldwell electronic muffs at the local gun store for about $25. They work fine over plugs.

jcwit
September 13, 2010, 10:58 AM
is the noise reduction rating for these electronic ones only for when the electronics are turned on?

In a word NO! Further if shooting inside with centerfire pistols or rifles I suggest to use plugs with ANY muffs.

I had a pair of Caldwell and my ears always rang when I left the range, I don't know if they didn't shut down quick enough or far enough, but I do not have this problem with the Howard Leigth.

Also the H/L muffs are more shallow negating the muff interfering with the stock.

If you enjoyed reading about "any good electronic hearing protection muffs for less than $50?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!