Kahr CW9??

PDA

boostedxt
September 13, 2010, 10:51 PM
I am going to be adding a CW9 by the end of the week. Who has one? How do you like it? can you share your experiences with them? Curious what Kahr you had and what problems or positives you had with it?

I currently carry an XD9SC and really love the gun and trust it 100%, however I am looking to add the Kahr as the carry gun for hot summer days when I cant wear layers.

Joe
ps- I have looked at and felt other small guns..so far the Kahr has felt the best so I pretty sold on it.

If you enjoyed reading about "Kahr CW9??" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
lions
September 13, 2010, 11:15 PM
Nothing but praise for my CW9. Zero malfunctions through the break in period and well beyond. Very easy to carry with it being so thin and light.

Lots of reading material here from past threads:

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=534186&highlight=kahr+cw9
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=520875&highlight=kahr+cw9
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=515546&highlight=kahr+cw9
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=506352&highlight=kahr+cw9

boostedxt
September 13, 2010, 11:17 PM
dang it...I search cw9 and it came back with nothing!

thanks for the info!

joe

lions
September 13, 2010, 11:28 PM
No problem, sometimes you have to sweet talk the search function here.

phoglund
September 14, 2010, 01:13 AM
All positive with mine so far, feels great in the hand and easy to conceal. Hard to beat for the price.

MICHAEL T
September 14, 2010, 02:09 AM
I had one Wife handled it , shot 1 mag thru it. Then said its mine . I get to visit in now and then
Seemed like a nice pistol

IdahoLT1
September 14, 2010, 02:28 AM
I sing nothing but praise for the CW9. The trigger is better than the xd's imo and it is much more comfortable to carry. My first one was flawless for the first 800 rounds and my second has been flawless for 500 that been through it.

9mmepiphany
September 14, 2010, 04:48 AM
I really like my CW9. It is both reliable and accurate...it has pretty much replaced my S&W M642 as a EDC.

Nushif
September 14, 2010, 07:01 AM
My sister in law has one.

Pretty nifty little gun. Very decent trigger pull, too. I can only say that I like it.

RevDerb
September 14, 2010, 07:02 AM
I've owned two CW9's and both were 100% out of the box. Have also owned PM9's and a TP45. The TP45 was the only Kahr that I've owned that even had a hiccup and it was minor. IMO, Kahr makes very reliable, very shootable handguns. Enjoy!

usp9
September 14, 2010, 07:18 AM
I'm a Kahr fan, I carry a P9 and owned a CW9. The CW9 had some lightstrike problems, otherwise it was a nice pistol. I chose the P9 because it comes in black and has dovetailed sight slots for upgrade sight options, which I prefer on a CCW.

bdb benzino
September 14, 2010, 01:01 PM
I have a CW9 and had a CW45, the CW45 was flawless but got traded because I shoot the CW9 better. I have since put Trijicon night sights on the CW9 and am loving it even more, it is suprisingly accurate and has never had a failure. I am shy of having a 1000 rounds through her. Good luck with yours!

Ala Dan
September 14, 2010, 06:30 PM
Another Kahr CW-9 owner checking in; great CCW piece, flawless reliability~!

OregonJohnny
September 14, 2010, 07:13 PM
I received a brand-new CW9 as a Christmas gift from my father-in-law last year. So far I have 500 rounds through it with 0 malfunctions. Everyone who has shot it really likes it, myself included. What it has going for it, among other things:

THIN! - This gun is only .90" wide. It must be held to be believed.
Comfortable - for my hands at least, it just feels right
Reliable - 500 flawless rounds of mixed ammo, so far
Accurate - I shoot it very well, even compared to some full-size 9mms
Trigger - feels better than my XD40 subcompact, it's very crisp and smooth
Inexpensive - compared to other quality subcompact semi-autos

A few things to think about:

TIGHT! - The slide is very stiff, rounds will occasionally get hung up if you try slingshotting the reload. Use the slide release.
Even though mine worked perfectly out of the box, some report a necessary break-in of at least 200 rounds (even recommended by Kahr) before the gun runs right
Workmanship - If you get out a magnifying glass and look too closely, you may see some tiny errors in machining/manufacturing that you might not see in a Springfield, S&W, Glock, or other similar polymer subcompact, but then again, see the "inexpensive" comment above.

All in all, a fantastic little 9mm for the money, that beats many of the competition's offerings when it comes to shear dimensions alone.

DasFriek
September 14, 2010, 07:41 PM
I have an XD SC .40 and ITS my summer gun, While i use a 5" 1911 the rest of the time.
But i understand wanting a thinner gun.
One other gun you may want to look at which i like is the PPS 9mm.
Imo its generally more reliable than the CW9 if you were to go by internet reports.

Either way Both are great thin 9mm's which make great ccw weapons.

9mmepiphany
September 14, 2010, 10:41 PM
Because of the economy nature of the CW, be prepared for some sharp edges. One of the best thing I ever did to my CW9 was having the slide stop lever beveled

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n79/9mmepiphany/DSC_1703.jpg

boostedxt
September 15, 2010, 01:26 AM
i looked at the PPS I just dont wish to spend $600-$700 on a handgun at this moment. that is another reason why I am considering the Kahr

joe

Viper
September 15, 2010, 01:21 PM
I've had one for a couple of years, and it's been 100% with any ammo I've tried. When I sold my 9mm's in a switch to 45 last year, this was one of three that I refused to sell.

Ben86
September 15, 2010, 02:42 PM
I wish I would have got the cw9 instead of the taurus 709, but I didn't know it existed.

I do have a pm9, which I really like. During the break in period it was very tight, like most Kahrs from what I hear, and gave me a handful of failures for the first 50 rounds. After that it has been smooth sailing.

Kahrs have my favorite trigger design. I love a wide, smooth metal trigger. If only I could combine the actual trigger of the Kahr with the trigger pull of the taurus 709 that would really be something.

gofastman
September 15, 2010, 03:06 PM
I wish I would have got the cw9 instead of the taurus 709, but I didn't know it existed.

I do have a pm9, which I really like. During the break in period it was very tight, like most Kahrs from what I hear, and gave me a handful of failures for the first 50 rounds. After that it has been smooth sailing.

Kahrs have my favorite trigger design. I love a wide, smooth metal trigger. If only I could combine the actual trigger of the Kahr with the trigger pull of the taurus 709 that would really be something.
I looked at both and got the 709, the Kahr trigger was gritty and stiff. I didnt see any reason to pay the extra money for the Kahr, it doesnt offer anything over the 709 from a ergonomics standpoint IMO.

I didnt actually shoot the Kahr, so i dont know how it handles recoil, from what I understand they are similar.

bdb benzino
September 15, 2010, 08:53 PM
the Kahr trigger was gritty and stiff.

You might be the first person I have heard say this!

Nushif
September 15, 2010, 09:06 PM
I was gonna say ... Did you get the *one* Kahr that has a crappy trigger? Or are you comparing it to a 1 pound match trigger?

gofastman
September 15, 2010, 09:34 PM
Must have been a lemon then. Im telling ya, that Kahr trigger sucked!

I have never shot any kind of match gun, mostly combat Tupperware like Glocks and XD's

Nushif
September 15, 2010, 09:47 PM
Yeah, you must have lucked out then, because pretty much every Kahr I've ever touched has had at least a decent trigger. 8)

jyo
September 15, 2010, 11:13 PM
My wife, my brother and myself bought three new Kahr CW9s the same day---I was eager to take them to the range---they looked good. It didn't take long (like immediately) into the break-in period to find a major problem with all three---the magazines would drop out about half an inch upon firing the first or secound round. Of course this meant the slide came forward and did not pick up a cartridge---equals=NO BANG! A call to Kahr resulted in a brief conversation about "quite a few are doing that" and we will send you new magazine releases and their springs. Once they were installed, all three are good! I find the CW9s to be reliable, slim, small, stainless and all three shoot right to point of aim. Really smooth trigger too!

9mmepiphany
September 15, 2010, 11:56 PM
Must have been a lemon then. Im telling ya, that Kahr trigger sucked!

I would have sent that gun back under warranty to have the trigger cleaned up. The worst Kahe trigger I've ever felt...out of about 10...was magnitudes of smoothness better than a S&W J-frame and most rivaled a K-frame.

When my CW9 was new, I could feel a slight hitch and a little stack in the trigger travel...but I'm used to glass smooth actions...so I had them clean it up when I had the slide stop beveled. It is now much better than any non-competition K-frame

franco45
September 16, 2010, 12:18 AM
I have only had my CW9 for about a month, 600 flawless rounds, not a stutter. I then bought a CW45. Three hiccups in the first 50 rounds 1 FTF and 2 FTE. I have not had a problem in the 200 rounds since. The triggers are smooth as butter by the way and getting better with each range session.

RedAlert
September 16, 2010, 01:35 PM
I only have a PM-40 in the Kahr line. When I bought it, it was to be a dedicated carry gun. I still use it for that. I found the .40S&W to be a very snappy round in that small of a gun. So I had it mag-na-ported, and that tamed the little beast to an acceptable level. The one issue that was to find an acceptable high performance self-defense round. The feed ramp is offset to the side in the PM-40 and most self-defense hollow points would jam during feeding. Finally, I settled on Powerball rounds as they feed reliably. That is an issue you may or may not encounter with the 9mm.

Good luck, I've found the Kahr to be a wonderful carry pistol.

Ben86
September 16, 2010, 02:27 PM
The feed ramp is offset to the side in the PM-40 and most self-defense hollow points would jam during feeding. Finally, I settled on Powerball rounds as they feed reliably. That is an issue you may or may not encounter with the 9mm.

My pm9 eats everything, including my main sd load; speer gold dot 124 grain jhps. That feed ramp is odd though. When I first looked at it I thought: "How is that supposed to work?"

propex
September 16, 2010, 02:38 PM
I do not have a cw9 but own a cw45 and I love it. No problems, good accuracey and easy to conceal

lions
September 16, 2010, 04:43 PM
The feed ramp is offset to the side in the PM-40 and most self-defense hollow points would jam during feeding. Finally, I settled on Powerball rounds as they feed reliably. That is an issue you may or may not encounter with the 9mm.

Kahr's feed ramps are offset and also very steep, combine that with the large meplat found on most 40s&w ammo and I can see where there may be problems. I don't have any problems with feeding 9mm.

rquack
September 16, 2010, 05:18 PM
I also own am XD9sc and added a CW9 Kahr to the vault. I love the xd trigger; after 1500 rounds it is smooth, fast, predictable and a relatively short reset. The CW9 trigger is longer and heavier. The CW9 is much thinner and lighter. It is more comfortable to carry and gets the nod most of the time in an IWB holster. The XD has been moved top a OWB holster with a thumb break. I still carry both, but the Kahr generally gets the nod due to its lighter weight and thinner profile. My Kahr required a very slight adjustment to its magazines as they developed a habit of popping loose at the shot; a trip to the smith and a couple of quick strokes with a file to the mag catch and all has been perfect for the past couple of years. Good luck with your new pistol.

9mmepiphany
September 16, 2010, 05:32 PM
The offset feed ramp is a patented feature that allows a lower slide height...mine feeds any 9mm round that I push into the magazine

Nushif
September 16, 2010, 05:34 PM
I have to take a look at the Kahr now ... I never even noticed the offset feed ramp in my sister's 9mm.

usp9
September 16, 2010, 06:22 PM
The feed ramp is offset to allow the trigger bar to be placed right along side the feed ramp, keeping the height and axis as low as possible.

Ben86
September 17, 2010, 10:02 AM
The feed ramp is offset to allow the trigger bar to be placed right along side the feed ramp, keeping the height and axis as low as possible.

They are unique little jewels.

Viper
September 17, 2010, 12:31 PM

Funny you should say that Ben. When I got my CW9, I actually went into my LGS to buy a 709 Slim. In the case right below the Taurus was a CW9. I had only heard of Kahr from a few forum post, but took a chance and bought it. I have since bought two more Kahrs and all have been 100%. My PM45 is my EDC in hot weather.

Early this year I bought another Taurus, and it was a disaster from the get-go. I guess the day I bought the CW was a lucky day.

jaysouth
September 17, 2010, 01:49 PM
If you reload cast bullets, buy the Cw-9. It has a traditionally rifled barrel.

The P9 and K9 have a polygonal barrel like a Glock.

I have CWs in 9 and .45. Both outstanding.

9mmepiphany
September 17, 2010, 04:17 PM
The P9 and K9 have a polygonal barrel like a Glock.
just for the sake of accuracy
The Kahr P9 and K9 do have polygonal barrels. They are not like the polygonal barrels used by Glock

jaysouth
September 17, 2010, 06:03 PM
I'll bite, what's the difference between the Kahr and Glock polygonal barrels?

usp9
September 17, 2010, 08:10 PM
I'll bite, what's the difference between the Kahr and Glock polygonal barrels?

Slightly different shape, that's all.

sniper4usmc
September 17, 2010, 09:01 PM
I just bought a used 100rd fired CW9 for $350 did I paid too much?

Ben86
September 18, 2010, 12:24 AM
I just bought a used 100rd fired CW9 for $350 did I paid too much?

Nope, good deal.

Early this year I bought another Taurus, and it was a disaster from the get-go. I guess the day I bought the CW was a lucky day.

Sorry to hear that, it seems likes it's hit or miss with taurus. My 709 has been great. I'd like to get one of their 738 .380s, but a cz75 is higher up on the list. I am glad to hear that you made the decision I should have made (getting the cw9 instead of the 709).

BridgeTooFar
September 18, 2010, 08:43 AM
I've owned a PM9, a PM40, two P9's, a P40, and a CW9 over the years. I LOVED them all, but the CW9 is the only one that I still have for a variety of reasons (and I essentially carry it every day).

Every single one was 100% reliable for me out of the box.

The only issue I ever had was with a couple of the 9mm magazines. The front bottom part of the plastic follower broke off on two of them. I called Kahr, and they sent me new mags both times (no questions asked other than where to send them).

I see very little difference between the P line and the CW line (other than what I'd consider cosmetic differences) which is part of the reason I still own the CW and not the P Kahrs (much more cost effective).

Edit: One other thing that I have done with mine is put on a Hogue Handall Jr. grip sleeve. The "checkering" on the front and back of the grip was a little too aggressive for my wife, and she didn't like to shoot the Kahrs as a result. Now, she loves shooting them, and I've noticed it makes it a great deal more "comfortable" to shoot as well.

boostedxt
September 20, 2010, 09:33 AM
thank you so much for the information everyone. If you had to choose between a new CW9 and a used but in great condition PM9 which direction would you go? Both are right around the same price, but the PM9 is smaller.

thoughts?
joe

phoglund
September 20, 2010, 12:41 PM
Hi Boosted,

Smaller is better for concealment of course but I think I'd handle both and see which one feels good to you. The CW9 is small enough for any reasonable carry need. The question is...how well can you shoot the smaller gun? If you think you can shoot the smaller as confidently as the larger, I'd go with the smaller gun. Otherwise, go with the larger but still very concealable larger pistol.

Paul

lions
September 20, 2010, 12:52 PM
With the CW9 I can still get all my fingers on the grip which I really like. I carry IWB so the extra height doesn't bother me, the CW9 is plenty small for that type carry mode. A related positive to a longer grip is an extra round in the magazine. The PM9 may be just small enough for pocket carry, if that is a consideration the PM9 may get the nod. The PM9 should also come with a second magazine. The rest of the differences are either cosmetic or inconsequential IMO.

How do you plan to carry the pistol and how do they both fit your hand?

boostedxt
September 20, 2010, 01:06 PM
both fit my hand very well but the CW9 fits better right off the bat. The reason for maybe going to the PM9 is because this is the gun I will carry wearing T-shirts and shorts. I currently carry the XD9SC but its a bit big for tshirt weather and when i have to tuck a shirt in. The CW and the PM are both .9 of an inch and the XD is over a half in wider...hence the idea for picking one up

joe

lions
September 20, 2010, 02:30 PM
Since you have a line on a PM9 for a good price I'd be inclined to go with that because it would be intended specifically for warm weather and tucked in shirts. I carry my CW9 under a t-shirt very regularly and don't have any problems with it but a PM9 would be just a little easier and would give you the option for pocket carry, depending on your pockets. I don't think you could go wrong.

boostedxt
September 20, 2010, 03:13 PM
My concern for the PM is its used. Yes I know a used gun is still a good gun, but I would rather have new and if there are issues go to the manuf. I have a hard time believing someone would get rid of a gun that is flawless unless they absolutely have too. hence why I would rather buy new over used...make sense?

joe

9mmepiphany
September 20, 2010, 03:17 PM
The only advantage I would see size-wise is if you were looking at pocket carry. The butt of the PM would clear the opening better...more latitude in angle of draw.

I've seen a nice modification where someone took their CW9 and cut the polymer frame off to fit the shorter mag. It would be like 1911 folks who like the Commander length slide on a Officer's length frame

9mmepiphany
September 20, 2010, 03:21 PM
I have a hard time believing someone would get rid of a gun that is flawless unless they absolutely have too. hence why I would rather buy new over used...make sense?
Some folks have just found that a gun didn't fit their intended use as they envisioned it would...that is why I sold a perfect .22lr 6" Colt Diamondback

Or that they bought a gun on hype and it didn't fit them at all...very common when the Beretta M9 was adopted

boostedxt
September 20, 2010, 03:22 PM
no pocket carry here yet. i need my pockets for other things.

I might get the CW then try and line up a CW lower frame and try to cut it down. hrmmm...

joe

Ben86
September 20, 2010, 03:41 PM
I have a hard time believing someone would get rid of a gun that is flawless unless they absolutely have too. hence why I would rather buy new over used...make sense?

I get rid of perfectly good guns all the time, to the point that my wife doubts my sanity. ;) She may be right, however it is not uncommon for a gun to no longer be what I want. I've also bought guns thinking they were something they were not. So I sell or trade and get what I want. The only guns I have consistently kept over the years are my glocks and .22s, because they are just so practical. Like a good hammer.

boostedxt
September 20, 2010, 07:01 PM
ok well my company just told me they have to pay me overtime for the past 2.5 years as they broke the law. I am now getting 5 hours of over time a week, for the last 125 weeks at about $36 an hour....huh...maybe I will splurge and get a new PM9. lol....I am dumb founded right now....holy crap.

joe

lions
September 20, 2010, 07:13 PM
Wow, happy day! You should get 2.

mfcmb
September 20, 2010, 07:43 PM
I've had a CW9 for a couple of years and love it. In the first six months had to send it in to Khar 3 times, had good customer service each time. Since then it's been flawless.

Early on, when I was experimenting with different brands of ammo there were a few that didn't feed reliably (e.g. CorBon DPX, which was what I wanted most to use for self defense). All brands of cheap ball ammo I've used have fed reliably.

I've got more than 3,000 rounds through it and have probably done around 6,000 clicks of dry fire practice. Probably because of the latter the firing pin has broken twice. The first time I had Kahr replace it, the second time I did it myself.

Ben86
September 21, 2010, 11:06 AM
ok well my company just told me they have to pay me overtime for the past 2.5 years as they broke the law. I am now getting 5 hours of over time a week, for the last 125 weeks at about $36 an hour

That's an extra $22,500 gross pay! Yep, I'd take this opportunity to expand my gun collection. That and maybe take a sweet vacation, and buy some gold.

porterdog
September 21, 2010, 12:08 PM
boosted said, "My concern for the PM is its used. "

I realize you're considering a new one now (and one could hardly blame you!) but if you do a little research you can find the serial number prefixes of the guns more likely to be problematic from the factory. IIRC "IA" was the first prefix where most of the troubles were cleared up. Check that against your used option for some peace of mind (or to harden your rejection!)

SonofGilnockie89
September 27, 2010, 12:07 PM
I bought one new about a month ago and have had no problems whatsoever. The magazine spring was insanely strong when it was new but softened up nicely after approximately 200 rounds (which is the advised "break in period" anyway). Aside from that it has worked like a charm with every type of ammunition I've tried in it and I regularly get compliments from shooting pals about the light weight, simple design, etc. If you haven't bought one yet I highly reccomend it. I don't think you'll be sorry.

If you enjoyed reading about "Kahr CW9??" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!