Proper scope?

PDA

Jsor
September 14, 2010, 02:08 AM
What scope would be most suitable scope for a Tikka T3. I am not to sure on the cartridge and I understand that info is needed. Either 25-06, 7mm-08, or .270 win. I want a good hunting scope. I will be doing pretty much everything so I need a versatile scope that would be decent up to 500 yards. I don't want to spend more than $500 really. I was thinking a Nikon Monarch, Bushnell Elite 3200 or 4200 if I could find a deal, or possibly something that you guys suggest. I was looking into the Weaver Grand Slam, but I don't know if I could bring myself to spending more than $300 on a less popular Japanese brand of glass. I would much rather buy a less known American made scope versus an Asian made scope. I was looking into the SWFA SS 3x9 but it is a little pricey. I have their 6x42 version and it is great glass for the price, but I am also looking to sell it because I want a variable power. So I want to know what scope best fits my wants and I am open to any suggestions.

If you enjoyed reading about "Proper scope?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
heeler
September 14, 2010, 09:29 AM
Jsor,as a one who has hunted game for over 45 years I am not in the latest fad camp of over scoping a rifle.
I cant stand fat and heavy scopes on a rifle.
They throw the balance off and imho just look clunky and funky.
3X9X40 is as big a scope as I ever want.
I actually prefer 2x7x32 sized scopes more.
If it has good glass it will be plenty bright enough in low light conditions.
I own several Leupolds,two Nikon Monarchs,and even one 2x7x32 Bushnell Legend.
I have owned Weavers,Burris,Simmons(JUNK!!!)older Japanese made Tasco's(good) and even a scope with Marlins name on it for a .22.
For around 300 dollars you can buy a Leupold 3x9x40 or 2x7x33 and it will be an excellent buy.
One thing a lot of people who buy scopes dont check out is the amount of eye relief a scope offers.
A good real world example was a Swift 3x9x40 I once put on a 30-06.
It had only 3 inches of eye relief,which unfortunately is somewhat typical of Asian scopes.
I could never get use to it and on one fast shot on a big nasty Hog I scoped my right eye,which is something I had not done to myself since I was a teenager.
I pulled that scope off and it is still in my safe collecting space as I type this.
I put on it a used gun show bought Leupold Vari-X II 3x9x40 and what a difference an inch of eye relief made.
You could just throw the rifle up to your shoulder and everything came into focus that the scope was lined up on.
Any way since you asked I thought I would put forth my two cents of experience with rifle scopes.

atblis
September 15, 2010, 02:41 PM
You can get a great scope for that much. I assume you'll be shooting at deer.

Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 $400
http://www.opticsplanet.net/zeiss-3-9x40mm-conquest-rifle-scope-with-z-plex-reticle1.html

Bushnell Elite 4200 3-9x40mm
http://www.opticsplanet.net/bushnell-elite-4200-3-9x40-matte-riflescopes-423944m.html

Leupold Vx3 2.5-8x36 $400
http://www.opticsplanet.net/leupold-vx3-25-8x36mm-rifle-scope.html

The Leupold 2.5-8x36 is IMO the perfect scope for a medium game rifle. Not too big, not too small. Has enough eye relief. Can be mounted low enough to actually get your face on the stock.

If you enjoyed reading about "Proper scope?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!