1911 breakage

PDA

maseden
September 15, 2010, 10:46 AM
I have a series 80 stainless Officer's Colt. What would cause the ears on my bushing to break off? It happened to me about 50 rounds in on the day. I'm just curious how often this occurs. Thanks-

If you enjoyed reading about "1911 breakage" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
DasFriek
September 15, 2010, 02:38 PM
I believe your referring to the barrel bushing? If thats the case id say its due to being too tight and not enough or no lube.
I always put grease inside my bushing to cut down on wear.

MICHAEL T
September 15, 2010, 02:42 PM
It fairly common on the officer Lots of reports of the breakage Their are several fixes out their . It was a weak point in the design. I have 2 officers and mine so far are fine . But they don't get shot as much as my Commander or Defender

Nushif
September 15, 2010, 02:47 PM
Lies! 1911s don't break!

Although I had my New Agent and after about eh .... 1 or 2k rounds it did have soem pretty serious wear on that particular part of the pistol. Seems like it's a very high stress area.

rcmodel
September 15, 2010, 04:07 PM
The stock Colt bushing is a known weak link in the shorty guns.

Replace it with a Wilson or Ed Brown bushing before (or after) it does and be done with it.

rc

The Lone Haranguer
September 15, 2010, 07:59 PM
The only thing holding the Officer's (and a similarly designed Para-Ordnance I had briefly) stock recoil spring plug in is a little tab that engages a cut in the slide. This is a known breakage point. Replacement parts are available that have a flange around the full perimeter of the slide cut. These may require a little metal to be removed.

Full Metal Jacket
September 15, 2010, 08:13 PM
put in an EGW bushing. those are some of the best :)

If you enjoyed reading about "1911 breakage" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!