Charter Cable commercial:are they brain dead?

PDA

geegee
December 13, 2003, 11:24 AM
Anyone else see this? I was just watching the Outdoor Life Network cable station, kind of watching a program on fly fishing and checking my email. There's a commercial with Jim Scoutten (rock on, Bro!) , followed by one featuring Ellen DeGeneres. Ellen is announcing that the Oxygen Network is now carrying her show. Uh huh.

The text of the commercial though is that it's like she's talking to Oprah, and they're mentioning Rosie O'Donnell. Let that sink in for a second or two.

So the folks that run Charter Cable and the Oxygen Network think that the average Saturday morning viewer of a fly fishing show, on the OL network waiting for a shooting related show to come on will have any interest in hearing what Ellen, Oprah, and freakin' Rosie have to say?!! :cuss: :barf: What network genius advised them on this brilliant move?

It just came on again! :banghead: geegee

If you enjoyed reading about "Charter Cable commercial:are they brain dead?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
fiVe
December 13, 2003, 12:16 PM
It does make you wonder. Shucks, it's almost funny. I wonder if OLN charges them double (one can only hope).

Pebcac
December 13, 2003, 12:20 PM
They're trying to catch your wife walking through the room right as the commercial airs. :D

hansolo
December 13, 2003, 12:35 PM
As a former radio programmer, I've seen ludicrous examples of badly placed commercials. To save money, a client is given the option to have the commercial run any time, during any programming. I find it especiallyamusing that an obvious anti-gun person(Rosie, DeGeneres)may find their ad placed in a show like "American Rifleman"!:neener:

boing
December 13, 2003, 04:44 PM
Maybe someone in commercial scheduling has an anti-Rosie agenda. :)

Bainx
December 13, 2003, 04:54 PM
hey geegee,

welcome to the new world order

Bainx Out

geegee
December 13, 2003, 05:03 PM
welcome to the new world order
Ellen, Rosie, and Oprah: The new Trilateral Commission! :barf: geegee

Dannyboy
December 13, 2003, 06:05 PM
A couple years ago, OLN was showing commercials for a drug called Procrit during the Tour de France. This isn't too bad except that Procrit is the brand name of a drug called EPO, which happens to be the most popular performance enhancing drug in professional cycling. That didn't make a whole lot of sense either.

Spackler
December 13, 2003, 06:27 PM
To save money, a client is given the option to have the commercial run any time, during any programming.

BTA? Or some rotator on the mid-6a shift?
Yeah, advertisors need to be a bit more choosy.
If you listen to radio or watch tv carefully, especially cable, you can catch all sorts of errors.

Usually, though, the ads placed on programs like G&A TV and American Shooter are pretty appropriate to the programming.

BluesBear
December 13, 2003, 07:48 PM
Commercials are scheduled at certain times. Those spaces have to be filled with something.

for example: You're watching local channel 5 at 6:09pm and they have a commercial for Darhma & Greg rerun that's on at 2am. That's probably because no one has bought the 6:09½pm commercial slot.

The same thing happens on cable networks. You will usually only see an ad for a show on that channel (or another channel owned/controlled by the same conglomerate) when there aren't enough paying sponsors to fill all of the commercial slots.
Even the cable networks leave open spaces for the local cable company to sell. Which is also why right after the local commercial for your neighborhood "We'll-sell-you-insurance-no-matter-how-many-accidents-or-DUIs-you-have" agent goes off you'll see the last 1 second of the filler commercial. Which is usually either a same channel program ad or a PSA.

hubel458
December 13, 2003, 08:35 PM
OLN is owned by a bunch of tree kissing, bird hugging, greenie,
lesbian loving nuts, so that is the kind odf ads you would expect.
I don't even watch the 2 percent good shows as a protest.Ed.

Ryder
December 13, 2003, 08:38 PM
Doesn't every sportsman love springtime freshness? :rolleyes:

hubel458
December 13, 2003, 08:51 PM
If OLN has their way "sportsmen" will be cyclers,shell collectors,
bird watchers, hikers, campers, ORV folks, etc, but no shooting type
sports. We need our own shooting sports, second amendment,
tv/cable/sat network...Of course you have heard me say that
before...Ed.

rayra
December 13, 2003, 09:07 PM
all sounds like PsyOps to me :lol

If you enjoyed reading about "Charter Cable commercial:are they brain dead?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!