Sale and shipment of 1911 barrel and slide

PDA

Sullyman
September 16, 2010, 03:49 PM
Is the sale of just the barrel and slide of a 1911 considered a sale of a firearm? Does the sale need to go through a FFL? Is it legal to ship same via U.S. post office or UPS?

If you enjoyed reading about "Sale and shipment of 1911 barrel and slide" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
waterhouse
September 16, 2010, 03:56 PM
On all of the 1911s that I know of the frame is the serialized part, and therefore the firearm. The barrel and slide alone may be shipped by any carrier without going through an FFL.

The Wiry Irishman
September 16, 2010, 03:57 PM
Only the frame is considered a firearm, no other part requires and FFL. You'll be fine shipping UPS, thought I'd still be wary of USPS, they're real hinky about guns.

Art Eatman
September 16, 2010, 06:16 PM
They may be personally hinky at some post orifice, but the regulations of the USPS itself allow mailing parts which are not part of BATFE records. Slides and barrels are perfectly legal to mail since they are not firearms nor are they prohibited handguns.

dogtown tom
September 16, 2010, 06:51 PM
The Wiry Irishman Only the frame is considered a firearm, no other part requires and FFL. You'll be fine shipping UPS, thought I'd still be wary of USPS, they're real hinky about guns.

Why are you telling anyone what you are mailing?

There is no USPS regulation that requires notifying them that you are mailing a firearm UNLESS you are a dealer or manufacturer. Even then, it is only required for handguns which can only be mailed by dealers and manufacturers.

If you enjoyed reading about "Sale and shipment of 1911 barrel and slide" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!