Two is one, one is none ... what's your approach to acquiring multiple pistols?

PDA

September 16, 2010, 10:18 PM
We all have different criteria when we choose a pistol. Maybe we only buy "carry" pistols, or only from one manufacturer, or only one chambering etc. For example, looking at the Glock pistols below, you might like 9mm Luger and decide to collect a G17, G19, G26 and G34. Maybe you like compact pistols for carry so you decide to collect a G26, G27, G29, G39, G30, G28, G33. Perhaps you like the G27 so much that you have five!! Maybe you have no method at all and just buy what you like, when you like. So what's your decision process? Have you always had a clear plan from the start?

Anyone have one of every model shown below? :) My friend probably does!! In fact, I think he has some not shown here but I could be wrong.

http://128.171.62.162/hawthorn-engineering/thr/pistols/glock/glock_models.jpg

:)

If you enjoyed reading about "Two is one, one is none ... what's your approach to acquiring multiple pistols?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ScratchnDent
September 16, 2010, 10:28 PM
I just try to keep my calibers consolidated. All of my autos are .45 acp, and my revolvers are .38 or .357, except for one .22lr revolver.

wvshooter
September 16, 2010, 10:31 PM
Very interesting post.

I certainly didn't have a plan. Four years ago I decided I wanted a gun. The friendly man at the local gun store sold me a Sigma 40ve. Two free magazines, I thought they were the kind you read, no kidding, and a $50 rebate. What's not to like. I still have the gun and still carry it some. Today I have 15 handguns and one rifle. This really is a sickness.

Early on I would buy cheaper guns but now I gravitate to quality. Revolvers and semi autos in a variety of calibers. I've learned that big beautiful all steel guns are not very carry friendly. But I still buy them. I don't like mouse guns. They don't seem very practical. And I've learned to appreciate polymer.

I'm not much for collecting "sets". Variety does it for me.

Oh, and I don't have any Glocks or XD's or M&P's. Just don't appeal to me. My next purchase will be a Sig or FN or CZ or 1911 or something similar.

Nushif
September 16, 2010, 10:33 PM
I try to buy only what I can reload. That would be .45 Colt and 9mm Parabellum.
So the next gun I buy would have to be a 9mm or .45 Colt. Unless I find some really cheap dies.

ET
September 16, 2010, 11:27 PM
It appears that my plan so far is to buy as many different caliber handguns as possible. I have 22 LR, .380acp, 9mm, 357sig, 40s&w, 45acp, 45LC. I have my eye on a Glock 10mm. I guess a 50 something would be in order. but I need to acquire the 10mm first. The problem is in stocking the ammo. I have to keep at least 1-2K of range ammo for each caliber & at least 300 PD rounds of each in my safe at all times (just my rule I guess). It gets slightly expensive but I like variety in my life.

Carter
September 16, 2010, 11:39 PM
I have to keep at least 1-2K of range ammo for each caliber & at least 300 PD rounds of each in my safe at all times (just my rule I guess). It gets slightly expensive but I like variety in my life.

You sir inspire me. =p

Right now the only handgun I have is my carry gun in 9mm. However, I plan on getting a glock 22 some time soon, hopefully. Then a .45 or 10mm. I like having options when it comes to calibers.

wideym
September 17, 2010, 01:04 AM
Sometimes I get the itch to have two of a kind handguns, one for each hand.

So far-

2 x S&W 19
2 x S&W 27
2 x S&W 28
2 x S&W 469
2 x Beretta 92
2 x Beretta 96
2 x Browning Hipower
2 x Glock 27
2 x Glock 22

I'm still on the lookout for another Colt 1911, Glock 32, and CZ 85 to double up on my other favorites.

huntsman
September 17, 2010, 01:06 AM
Anyone have one of every model shown below?

Is the G25 available?

For me 1 Glock would be enough.

EdLaver
September 17, 2010, 01:19 AM
I have always wanted a Glock 25 or 28, damn laws.

DenaliPark
September 17, 2010, 01:54 AM
My plan has always been to stick with what works, in doing so I have at one time owned every Glock pistol currently sold in America, though I now only have four. Hard to surpass them for the level of quality offered for the money spent.

RX-178
September 17, 2010, 02:48 AM
I'm with ET. I like having a lot of different caliber options. I like being able to take advantage of ammo discounts and deals.

I also like to have handguns that share magazines with a pistol caliber carbine. CCF Glock 17L with Kel-Tec Sub-2000, PX4 .40 with CX4 .40, Glock 21SF with Kriss Super V, Mech Tech CCU in .357 Sig with Glock 32

I'm not even a Glock fan, but when it comes to my criteria they seem to be unavoidable.

Jed Carter
September 17, 2010, 05:53 AM
I buy pistols to fit a need I have HD, CCW, Range-Competition. If I want a pistol then I invent a "need" for it, I have 5 SIGs I need another, I have 3 1911s I want another, or do I need another... There is a gun show this weekend, I'll just go look.

JohnBiltz
September 17, 2010, 07:46 AM
The only two handguns in my home are a pair of Glock 26s. One to carry and one as a spare. I bought the spare because one is none. I don't have the money to shoot anything except what I carry. I budget 100 rounds a week and would rather shoot my carry than anything else.

Welding Rod
September 18, 2010, 03:27 PM
I try to stick with platforms rather than cartridges.

For example the only handgun platforms I currently own are Sig P, XD, and 1911.

I also tend to stick with full-size guns.

Fat Boy
September 18, 2010, 05:19 PM
And then there are those among the group who can only afford one or maybe two handguns at most...

WillDe83
September 18, 2010, 05:43 PM
I consolidated on platform (or close enough to be a platform), currently I have a HK 45 for HD and a HK P30 for carry.

My other pistols are just for fun.

c919
September 18, 2010, 11:02 PM
My approach...

Variety is the spice spice of life.

I guess I took the "fill every niche" approach. There have been times when I acquired two autos, two bolt actions rifles, two revolvers in a short time span, but mostly I go for stuff that isn't too similar to stuff I already have.

Now, it's nice to have a lot of different stuff, but it comes with a catch... ammo. I'm big on having a good pile of ammo for each gun at all times. SO having guns in a slew of different calibers can be a bit much. It's like trying to feed a myriad of animals from around the world or something. None of them eat the same grub.

But, that's what I like... a little bit of everything.

And as to owning that many Glocks, geez, I bet that got boring quick. I love my G20, and there are a few others I wouldn't mine owning, but I'd pick a different brand if I was going to go all fanatical. I tend to go for the "different" stuff. If I had the money for all those Glocks, it would have gone towards a Blaser rifle, low S/N Auto Five, old lever guns, or a bunch of old S&W revolvers.

Sapper771
September 19, 2010, 03:11 AM
I bought a G17OD. Then I started thinking that I needed a G19. Got the G19RTF2, then started looking at the G26. I got the G26OD. I caught word that they were going to quit making the OD Glocks, so I put a G19OD in lay-away. These are part of my carry rotation. They are the same caliber and all accept Glock 17 magazines. All three handle about the same, so there is little to no transitional issues. Most of their parts will interchangeable.

I have noticed here lately that I look for necessity in firearms that I may purchase. I don't really make enough money to purchase them because they are cool. If I see a firearm that I like, I have to ask myself "what would I use it for?". Some I buy have a slight collectors value, but still make good range guns.

FriedRice
September 19, 2010, 03:26 AM
Am I supposed to have a rational plan? Uh oh. My only rule now is to shoot it first.

medalguy
September 19, 2010, 01:52 PM
My approach is find a gun that (a) looks neat, (b) looks interesting, or (c) I don't already have, then buy it. :D

jackpinesavages
September 19, 2010, 02:20 PM
I never had a plan before, but then ammo. prices went through the roof. Then, after a bunch of research here and at TFL and S&W Forums, I found that some makers Chassis productions were easily convertible; the M&P 40c accepts .357SIG and 9 mm barrels as drop-ins!? WOW! All I had to do was make sure the mag./ammo. was changed over and VOILA, 3 pistols in one!

Now I buy in accordance with what I have ammo. for, and/or reloading supplies for; 9mm, 10mm, .40, .44, and .45. As for Glocks....had a G23 and sold it off. Ran 1st Gen. G17s in the Academy and loved them, but since then, not so much. I am interested in the G20 and G21 but have not started shopping them seriously.

Rexster
September 19, 2010, 03:27 PM
I tend to consolidate, to an extent. I don't like to stock too many different types of ammo, and I like my go-to weapons to share some handling characteristics, such as pointability and trigger stroke length, to economize on training time and ammo expended.

My autopistols tend to be SIG, P229, DAK, chambered for .40 S&W. Three of them are on my virtual "qual card" as primary duty pistols, and a fourth, which is actually DA/SA, as an off-duty pistol. I have one more with which I have not qual'ed. The mandated primary duty cartridge of my employer is .40 S&W, and we buy our own weapons, guided by a list of approved weapons. I do have a factory 357 SIG barrel, and a Bar-sto 9mm conversion barrel, but presently carry .40 all the time. In the dark days of the post-election ammo shortage, I could find 357 ammo easily, while .40 was scarce. The 9mm conversion barrel is primarily for lower-cost, lower-recoil training.

I do own one 1911, a Les Baer TRS, from my 1911 days. I may carry it again someday, but my time to train is limited, and my ammo budget is limited, so I concentrate on long-stroke DA practice.

I have a Seecamp LWS-32, which has a long-stroke DA trigger, like my DAK SIGs and DA revolvers.

My DA revolvers tend to be .357 Magnum. I do have my old .41 Mag duty sixgun, but it is largely retired to the safe, and two J-frame .38 snubs, which I rarely use. I have an S&W Model 17, chambered in .22 LR, which acts as a trainer for all of my DA handguns, as the SIG DAK system's trigger is much like a K-frame trigger pull. I use the .357 revolvers for back-up, utility, and fun guns.

My fun guns also include single action revolvers, which thus far are all chambered in .45 Colt, with one having a spare cylinder chambered in .45 ACP.

BHP FAN
September 19, 2010, 03:35 PM
I'll post some I like...these are all .45 acp.

BHP FAN
September 19, 2010, 03:40 PM
http://i989.photobucket.com/albums/af11/hut-man/45s2.jpg

ugaarguy
September 19, 2010, 03:41 PM
As far as handguns, I've owned quite a few over the years. I did alot of experimenting early on, and through trial & error found that 1911s fit me best, and I shoot them best. Now I pretty much stick to 1911s because they fill the basic needs of carry, target/range, and HD quite well. I do have a pocket auto for the odd times that I can't easily carry a 1911. I also still have a couple revolvers that I keep for enjoyment. Still, I'd rather keep my training time & resources focused on one platform so I can maximize my skill.

Hanzo581
September 19, 2010, 03:49 PM
I like variety, but I do see the practicality of consolidation of caliber.

blo0dyhatchet
September 19, 2010, 10:12 PM
http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k377/seventwiztid/IMG_0133.jpg
http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k377/seventwiztid/IMG_0132.jpg

skwab
September 20, 2010, 12:13 AM
no rhyme or reason for the most part - I mainly buy what I like. I have some that are more purposeful than others, but at the end of the day I'm just an insatiable gun nut who likes some variety.

mokin
September 20, 2010, 12:23 AM
My wife says she still hasn't got her gun yet. I guess the "plan" is to get her something before I even start shopping.

WRGADog
September 20, 2010, 12:28 AM
I generally only buy guns that I will carry concealed or enjoy shooting at the range. In fact, tomorrow I am going to pick up a G19 or G26 with factory installed Crimson Trace grips. My LGS offered me good price, $625 for either gun. Just have to make up my mind as to which I want. Although I own many guns, I have never owned a 1911 as they just don't fit my hand comfortably.

My inventory:
Beretta 84F
Beretta 92FS Inox
Beretta M9A1
Beretta PX4 9
Berettta PX4sc 9
Beretta CX4 9 (accepts PX4 mags)
Springfield XDM 40
Springfield XDM 9
Springfield XDM 9 3.8
Springfield XDc 45
Springfield XDsc 9
Sig P220 Elite Dark 45
Sig P226 Blackwater 9
Sig 556 pistol
Glock 30SF
Walther PPS 9
Kahr P380
Kahr PM9
S&W 340PD 357
Multiple S&W 38 and 357 revolvers (inherited)
Benelli M2 Tactical 12 gauge
Colt 6940 5.56
S&W M&P 15X 5.56
Astra DB 16 gauge
Winchester pump 22LR gift from grandfather 55 years ago

The Wiry Irishman
September 20, 2010, 01:01 AM
Kimber Custom II - first gun. I like shooting pistols more than anything else, and I liked 1911s better than anything else.

FNP 45 - Bedside gun. Thought the extra capacity and light rail combined with the irrelevance of size would be great for that role.

Interarms PPK/s - I love all-steel pistols and I was looking for something smaller to carry as a backup or when dress clothes couldn't conceal a fullsize 1911.

S&W 629 - Read a lot of Elmer Keith, read Unintended Consequences, and got hooked on shooting my 1911 at 100 yards. Wanted a gun more suited to that range and beyond, wanted a .44 so bad it hurt.

Les Baer Premier II - After a few years and a lot of practice, I found I could outshoot my Kimber. Wanted a nicer 1911 that could outshoot me, be used in Bullseye matches on the side. The Kimber now wears a type I Marvel kit and is a permanent .22 Bullseye gun.

Kimber SIS Ultra - Came to the conclusion a few months before that the 1911 is the perfect platform for me. Wanted something based on it for backup/dress carry. Chose the SIS out of all the 3" 1911s because its all steel, bit higher quality than RIA/SA all-steel offerings, and had more "serious" features than the Kimber Eclipse Ultra, which is also all steel.

6" SVI 2011 - Did not like the FNP for a variety of subjective reasons and wanted to move all my defensive guns over to 1911-style platform.

S&W 64, customized for PPC - Around the time the Infinity came in, this beauty showed up in the local gun shop. I have a soft spot for heavy guns, purpose-built custom guns, and unique guns. This met all those criteria, and I found myself with an FNP I didn't really want - sold it and picked this up. The first gun I've ever bought with no real purpose in mind, and I haven't regretted it one bit.

My next purchases will be a 5" and officer-sized SVI 2011s. I've found they fit me even better than traditional 1911s and I shoot them better. The far superior build quality and capacity make them attractive, as well, so I want to move all my carry guns over to this platform.

fmcdave
September 20, 2010, 10:18 PM
I have a lot, The goal is if you carry them...shoot them a lot. If you don't carry then, shoot them when you want to. I carry some of them and shoot them a lot: .45 ACP Kimber, .45ACP S&W 325pd, .40 Glock 23C. I keep one by the front door (.45LC Taurus Snub), and one where I sit watching TV (Glock 35 .45 ACP) and shoot them a little less. The rest I shoot for fun.

Jonah71
September 21, 2010, 11:15 AM
A friend left me several of his old guns so I now have 4 categories of handguns. 1. working 2. being repaired or restored 3. too expensive to repair or restore 4. working but too old to fire safely. The only handguns in working order that I regularly shoot....Bersa Thunder .380 Del., Taurus 24/7 PT Pro C 9mm, H&R .22, Kahr CW .40, Sig P6, Ruger Security 6, S&W Mod. 14, Kimber Pro C .45.

Ben86
September 21, 2010, 12:32 PM
In the beginning I only bought guns for a specific purpose. Now that all my purposes have been met, I just buy the ones I like. Lately I'm on this all metal gun fixation.

Old krow
September 21, 2010, 11:39 PM
I don't have a rhyme or reason as much as just criteria. I go with the philosophy that guns are tools, and I have some for different situations. For HD/CCW I tend to lean toward whatever I shoot the best regardless of the platform. I try to go with something that has reasonably priced ammo as I agree that staying in practice is important. By mere coincidence my girlfriend and I both have 9mm for HD/CCW.

I'm going to buy a revolver, probably a SW 686 simply because I like the reliability of a revolver and I'm fairly accurate with them.

I recently purchased a Kimber 1911 Custom II and I really like it. I can easily see looking around for another 1911 or other .45 as a carry weapon. I'll still keep a 9mm around though just because there are more 9mm rounds out there than there are mosquitoes in Arkansas.

After those 2 I can't really think of a "need" for another handgun, so, the FN 57 is in the status of a "very strong want" until I can justify a need for one.

larryh1108
September 22, 2010, 02:29 AM
For CCW I got the Kahr PM9, the Ruger LCP and S&W M&P 9c. Then I had to have the 2 best (IMO) guns that have withstood history... the 1911 and the Browning Hi Power. I like the price of 9mm ammo the best so I picked up a few other 9mms. I want a gun in each caliber in the semi line so now I do. I also have 1 revolver for their "fail safe" operation in 38 Special. Of course you need 1 or 2 22s for range fun and cheap plinking. In the 1911 I have 3 45s, 1 40S&W and 3 9mm. I ended up with 3 Browning Hi Powers because they are beautiful as well as functional. There is no rhyme or reason when you see a gun you just want. It is a sickness, no doubt about it.

HisSoldier
September 22, 2010, 02:48 AM
If only glocks were available I'd quit auto handguns entirely. I'm grateful that one can still find all steel handguns.

I went to Fred Meyers the other night, probably 20 auto pistols, all plastic! :barf:

millertyme
September 22, 2010, 06:10 AM
I've tried to cover my needs first, then look for things I might be interested in. So right now I have a CZ75B and a KT P11. I wish the magazines were interchangeable, or I wish I took a liking to SW59 series pistols. I prefer to keep things simple, hence both my pistols are 9mm.

Grey Morel
September 22, 2010, 09:55 AM
"Two is one, one is none"

We are talking about modern pistols here - not the Colt Lightning.

Quality modern guns dont' often break unless you do something stupid, or you have terrible luck and feed it an over-charged round.

The prevailing likelihood is that your S&W / Glock / Sig / HK / Beretta will shoot for tens of thousands of rounds before requiring a few cheap, simple, small parts to be replaced. Then it starts all over again.

huntsman
September 22, 2010, 10:41 AM
^ I like the idea of having two guns in one caliber but not duplicates of the same gun. Right now I get one for a CCW and another for a sidearm and I stick with a similar platform.

braceyourself07
September 26, 2010, 06:54 PM
This thread is excellent. I'm relatively new to guns so I am really learning a lot with the paths many of you are taking and have taken in acquiring your handguns. My first handgun is the Taurus 65 revolver--going on the advice for newbies from the guys at the local gun shop/range (of which now I am a member and shoot regularly). My wife loves it and it has become her HD gun of choice when I am out of town. She shoots .38 special with it at the range but keeps .357 magnum rounds for HD.

I'm quite partial to polymer and my second gun is an XDm .40. It sits in a drawer in the coffee table when I'm watching TV and next to me in my nightstand when I am sleeping. I absolutely love it and is the gun I am most comfortable shooting.

My third handgun is a Ruger 22/45 MkIII .22LR for target shooting--a hobby I have come to enjoy lately though I don't think I am ready to compete just yet... not to mention .22LR ammo is CHEAP! My local gun shop has target contests every month, so maybe one of these days...

So... that leaves me with three typos of ammo for the range (.40 S&W, .38 special, and .22LR). I would probably like my next gun to stay in the .40 S&W family, but I am being more and more intrigued by .45ACP. Then again, I plan on getting my CWP and may be looking at something more compact. So my next one could be an XD40Sc or a G27?? Who knows.

Mike

wanderinwalker
September 26, 2010, 08:19 PM
In autopistols I like the Glock in the 9mm/40 frame size, and 1911s. Unfortunately I have a hang-up about parting with the kind of money it would take to get a 1911 EXACTLY like I want, but I do have a Glock 17 and 26 so I shoot them a lot instead.

It mostly happened by accident. I'm a "nine is fine" kind of person, so that's where I started. The 17 came about after trying a 19 and finding I shot it really well. What I wanted was a 34, but it would have had to be ordered, whereas the 17 was on the shelf. Later came my first 26 (traded away later for a .44 Magnum revolver). Then a couple of years ago a second 26, just as the Presidential Firearms and Ammunition sales initiative was launched. I was thinking of a G-21SF also. In the end, caliber consolidation won. That and the fact I have some 26 magazines and parts left from the first one.

Now I look at firearms and think, "What does it do I can't already cover?" or "What kind of components do I need to reload it?" I've toyed with selling my .44 Magnums because all of my other pistols and revolvers can be loaded with small pistol primers (or .22 LR! :D ). I picked up a .30-30 lever gun back in the spring precisely because ammo is inexpensive, widely available and even "just bullets" are perfectly adequate for reloading it.

2TransAms
September 27, 2010, 12:26 AM
All mine are .45's: Three Dan Wesson 1911's, a Sig 1911, and an XD. I've had 9's and a few .40's, but all my shooting has some training purpose behind it. So if I don't carry a 9mm or .40, and I don't compete with 9mm or .40, why should I practice with 9mm or .40?

But in the end, you should buy what you like. If you want only Glocks, or only Sigs, or only .45's or whatever, more power to you.

Sgt_R
September 27, 2010, 07:42 AM
I generally only buy guns that I will carry concealed or enjoy shooting at the range.

That pretty much sums it up for me. I like to stick to commonly available calibers as well; currently that's .40, 9mm, .380, and .22lr for handguns, 12 gauge and 5.56mm/.223 for long guns.

I need to get another .22lr pistol, then I'd like to get a .22lr rifle, then I'd like to get a couple more 9mm handguns. And of course, no handgun collection is complete without a .45ACP, so I guess I'll have to get one or two of them. Then maybe a 7.62mm/.308 rifle, or another 5.56mm/.223, or another 12 gauge, or maybe even a 20 gauge double for clays. I'd like to try clays someday...

Well, y'all know how it is.

R

rattletrap1970
September 27, 2010, 08:36 AM
My "approach"? I'll buy anything I can afford. I do like oddball guns though. I have an SACM M1935A chambered in 7.65 French (which is obsolete). So I made a cartridge out of a modified .30 carbine (Cut to .920 long and reamed out to .308 on the ID). I'm having a reamer made by clymer to open the chamber up ever so slightly to chamber my new cartridges. Ballistically they will be darn close to Identical to the original cartridge, just much easier to make.

Dean1818
September 27, 2010, 08:56 AM
I only like to stock one caliber

So....... for me.... my pistols are 40's

If you enjoyed reading about "Two is one, one is none ... what's your approach to acquiring multiple pistols?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!