Is there anything wrong with GLOCK 22?

PDA

TexasGunbie
September 16, 2010, 09:22 PM
Whenever I read the local gun classified for Houston, I usually see a GLOCK 22 for sale. I rarely run into any of the 9mm GLOCKS for sale, so I assume most that bought one is keeping it. But I do see a lot of GLOCK 22 on the market. Whenever I put a gun out for trade, a lot of people offer up their GLOCK 22 as well... I would say 70% of the GLOCKS posted for sale locally in Houston are in 40 caliber. Any reason for that?

Why is that? something wrong with the GLOCK 22?

If you enjoyed reading about "Is there anything wrong with GLOCK 22?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
bamacisa
September 16, 2010, 09:27 PM
Who knows? Could be that 9mm is cheaper to shoot. 40S&W is not cheap.

Ky Larry
September 16, 2010, 09:31 PM
Maybe nobody in Houston is professional enought to carry one.

Seriously, I have no clue.

litman252
September 16, 2010, 09:34 PM
Police trade-ins could be a reason.........

Tony

essayons21
September 16, 2010, 09:41 PM
40S&W is not cheap.

???

12.99 a box for Federal at my local wally world.

Cheaper than anything but .22lr and 9mm

mgkdrgn
September 16, 2010, 09:43 PM
Ammo is a bit more expensive/harder to find than 9mm, and it's a bit more "snappy" to shoot. 40 S&W just isn't as popular as 9mm or 45.

REAPER4206969
September 16, 2010, 10:24 PM
Of course not. The Glock models 22 and 23 are the best selling pistols in the country. That's why you see so many for sale on the secondary market.

REAPER4206969
September 16, 2010, 10:26 PM
40 S&W just isn't as popular as 9mm or 45.
.40S&W is the most popular centerfire auto pistol cartridge in the country.

burley
September 16, 2010, 10:30 PM
Glock 22. As far as I can tell, there's a lot of them out there. Kinda like Ford Crown Victorias. They work and there's nothing wrong with them. You are right though.

I see Glock 22, 23 and 27 for sale in the paper all the time adn rarely see a 19. Forget about a 17 or 26 too. I look every day too. Tampa Bay area.

joepav
September 17, 2010, 12:53 AM
I have to go with the other fellow and say police trade in.

DenaliPark
September 17, 2010, 01:05 AM
The Glock-22(G-22) is the A-number one, premier LE firearm in America, carried by more LEO's(federal, state, and local)then any other, including, the FBI. They virtually FLOOD THE MARKET, and that would be my expectation as to why you're seeing so many of them offered for sale.
They are superb machines, with nothing wrong with them whatsoever....

dogtown tom
September 17, 2010, 01:14 AM
REAPER4206969: .... .40S&W is the most popular centerfire auto pistol cartridge in the country.

Source?

I thought 9x19 was far and away a bigger seller in retail sales, not to mention the eleventy billion rounds of 9mm churned out for the military.

TexasGunbie
September 17, 2010, 01:17 AM
yeah, I always thought the GLOCK is known for 9mm. Wouldn't we see almost equal amount of 9 and 40 GLOCK on the market then?

MaterDei
September 17, 2010, 01:27 AM
Maybe I'm part of the problem. I'm in the Houston area and the only handgun I ever sold was a 40. :)

Personally, I didn't like the trade off between what I perceived as the snappiness of the round and the terminal ballistics. If I want a snappy handgun round I'll get a 10mm. At least then I'd get the power of the 10mm.

Roughneck08
September 17, 2010, 01:27 AM
I think becuase everyone has more than one Glock 22. They are like Lays Potato chips, you can't have just one. Seriously speaking I think it is because of Police Trade-ins. Also Repear is correct in my opinion .40 is the most popular round today in the U.S.

TexasGunbie
September 17, 2010, 01:34 AM
I just don't see how 40 is the most popular caliber. I have a lot of friends that have owned 9 and 45 but not 40. Almost everyone have had a 9mm and 45 once in their life. I know a lot of people that have never shot the 40.

litman252
September 17, 2010, 01:42 AM
Don't know about most rounds sold but .40 is the only round available non stop for the last 2 years at LGS. .223, 5.56, .308, 9mm & .45 were all gone at one time or another. It's all better now but really had me thinking of getting one at one time......

Tony

REAPER4206969
September 17, 2010, 02:03 AM
Source?
Call any major ammo manufacture and they will tell you .40 accounts for around half of their centerfire pistol cartridge sales.

REAPER4206969
September 17, 2010, 02:08 AM
I just don't see how 40 is the most popular caliber.
Almost all local, state and federal law enforcement as well as the Coast Guard and elite U.S. Army special forces use the .40 along with a majority of gun game competitors. Not to mention its huge adoption by the average plinker and defensive shooter.

REAPER4206969
September 17, 2010, 02:12 AM
I always thought the GLOCK is known for 9mm.
In the U.S. Glock is known for their .40 models. Ask any average person "what caliber is a Glock?" and they will respond "forty." Type "Glock" into Google search and hit the space bar and see what automatically fills in.

REAPER4206969
September 17, 2010, 02:21 AM
carried by more LEO's(federal, state, and local)then any other, including, the FBI.
Including the Hostage Rescue Team and U.S. Army CAG ("Delta Force.")

19-3Ben
September 17, 2010, 07:22 AM
Type "Glock" into Google search and hit the space bar and see what automatically fills in.

Ok, I did.

It filled in in this order:
Glock 19
Glock 17
Glock 23
Glock 22
etc.... etc...

Mention of models, not calibers. Interesting though to see what people search for.

As for me, I really like my G23.

Sapper771
September 17, 2010, 07:34 AM
I also think it is due to police trade ins. There are plenty to go around.

As far as anything being wrong with them, I say no. I carried one on duty for two years, no problems. Did not observe any problems with them throughout my department or surounding agencies.

I tend to prefer the G17/19, but I would take a G22 if one was given to me.

45Fan
September 17, 2010, 08:17 AM
Might it be possible that some of the reason so many are out there is because a .40 is a good bit snappier than the 9mm, and some get nervous of there plastic .40s when the round count gets up there. There are alot of horror stories flooding the internet about KBs in .40 Glocks. I dont own one myself, but I have friends that own them, and have seen their durability second hand, but when it comes to things potentially blowing up in your hand, some people tend to be very cautious.

Zerodefect
September 17, 2010, 08:42 AM
The .40 Glocks are very popular out my way. Because .45 deosn't fit into a Glock too well. Unless you want something impossible to CCW (21).

So the next best thing is the Glock 22/23 which are close to the same size as a 5" 1911 Goverment (22), or Officers model (23).

swinokur
September 17, 2010, 09:14 AM
actually the reason you don't see many 9 mm Glocks for resale is most folks who buy them discover they bought a wimpy European round and are too ashamed to sell it because then we will know they are wimpy too.

Real Americans shoot .40 or .45

there. now you know.

:evil:

REAPER4206969
September 17, 2010, 07:16 PM
Ok, I did.
Mine adds "22" after Glock.

dogtown tom
September 17, 2010, 08:53 PM
REAPER4206969 Quote:
Source?

Call any major ammo manufacture and they will tell you .40 accounts for around half of their centerfire pistol cartridge sales.

So.........you don't actually have a source?:scrutiny:

I'll just call WalMart.:D

the foot
September 17, 2010, 09:35 PM
Answer, there is nothing wrong with the Glock Model 22. When more of one model is sold new than others, and is probably shot more than others, then naturally there will be more used ones for sale.

Also, since many law enforcement agencies carry 40 cal Glocks, it stands to reason that as LE units replace weapons, used Glocks will appear on the market.

Taroman
September 17, 2010, 10:16 PM
One number too high. Its not a Glock 21

REAPER4206969
September 17, 2010, 10:40 PM
So.........you don't actually have a source?
Calling them is the source. They don't put that stuff on the internet publicly.

gym
September 18, 2010, 12:28 PM
The reason is more than likelly, that it may have been their duty gun, or first Glock. Once you see that you can get the same thing in a smaller package. Or it's time for a Dept to switch out to a different caliber or choice of weapons, often they will opt for a different pistol. IE: neighboor fired my 26 and is new to shooting, "I just met him", he was told by the salesman that the 17 was best for him, so he bought it. if they didn't have experience they learn the hard way. Now he will buy the 26, and have 2 Glocks.

atblis
September 18, 2010, 01:39 PM
A quote from the September 2010 American Rifleman article about the Ruger SR9C

But when I checked with several of the large ammunition manufacturers, they said the No. 1 best-selling pistol caliber is (still) the century-old 9 mm Luger.

Airburst
September 18, 2010, 01:53 PM
swinokur
actually the reason you don't see many 9 mm Glocks for resale is most folks who buy them discover they bought a wimpy European round and are too ashamed to sell it because then we will know they are wimpy too.

Real Americans shoot .40 or .45

there. now you know
hahahahahaha!

gym
September 18, 2010, 02:02 PM
Reaper, Google will fill in whatever you have been looking at the most. Mine will fill in the "Glock safe action pistol", if you have looked at Glock 40, then that is what it will bring up, it is an intuitive search engine. It brings up first what you have been looking at the most.

oasis618
September 18, 2010, 02:04 PM
Delete.

oasis618
September 18, 2010, 02:05 PM
Reaper, Google will fill in whatever you have been looking at the most. Mine will fill in the "Glock safe action pistol", if you have looked at Glock 40, then that is what it will bring up, it is an intuitive search engine. It brings up first what you have been looking at the most.
This.

atblis
September 18, 2010, 02:46 PM
When cleared of all cookies or whatever Google uses to track, I believe it does come up with
Glock 19
Glock 17
etc. etc.

REAPER4206969
September 18, 2010, 09:59 PM
I thought so.

Prion
September 18, 2010, 10:17 PM
Gotta' disagree that people associate Glock with .40. Glock and 9mm are associated way more commonly and I would guess that 9mm still reigns supreme in U.S. popularity.

REAPER4206969
September 18, 2010, 11:18 PM
Gotta' disagree that people associate Glock with .40. Glock and 9mm are associated way more commonly
Not even close in the mainstream. The Glock is the first, and by far the most common .40 pistol on the planet. "Glock forty" is mentioned in numerous TV shows/movies/music/music videos/books.

REAPER4206969
September 18, 2010, 11:22 PM
A quote from the September 2010 American Rifleman article about the Ruger SR9C
You will note I said "in the country." I also should have stated "domestic sales" as many ammo manufactures have large foreign MIL/LE contracts and foreigners run through a lot of 9x19 due to their love of SMG's.

swinokur
September 18, 2010, 11:31 PM
"Glock forty" is mentioned in numerous TV shows/movies/music/music videos/books.

The correct pronunciation is "fotay" Ask any gangbanger.

:uhoh:

Deaf Smith
September 18, 2010, 11:38 PM
The .40 S&W cartridge is more expensive to shoot.

The Glock 22 kicks more than the 17 (9mm.)

Those may be the reason cause the Glock 22 is the most popular police handgun right now and the 23 is well represented to!

I only own to .40s, Glock 27 and 23.

Deaf

Prion
September 19, 2010, 08:00 AM
Sorry Reaper but you're wrong on this one. It's actually not even a close comparison in popular culture. Check out http://www.imfdb.org/index.php/Glock .

I know you can't stand being wrong Reaper but check out imfdb and stand up and show us you're a man and admit you too can be wrong. Even if it is a one-time occurrence!!!!

atblis
September 19, 2010, 08:13 AM
But when I checked with several of the large ammunition manufacturers, they said the No. 1 best-selling pistol caliber is (still) the century-old 9 mm Luger.

You will note I said "in the country." I also should have stated "domestic sales" as many ammo manufactures have large foreign MIL/LE contracts and foreigners run through a lot of 9x19 due to their love of SMG's.
I don't know exactly what the question asked was, but the context was as to why Ruger would introduce a 9mm pistol. Ruger's bread and butter is not international or MIL/LE sales, but rather domestic commercial markets.

ol' scratch
September 19, 2010, 08:15 AM
Ammo is a bit more expensive/harder to find than 9mm, and it's a bit more "snappy" to shoot. 40 S&W just isn't as popular as 9mm or 45.

Exactly. Also, there was the scare concerning the pistol KaBooming. I seem to remember a recall on the Glock 22.

the-ghost
September 19, 2010, 02:50 PM
no 9mm in the new contracts... all .40

http://atlanta.bizjournals.com/atlanta/stories/2010/09/06/daily21.html
http://www.ammoland.com/2010/09/13/smith-wesson-awarded-atf-firearms-contract/

REAPER4206969
September 19, 2010, 09:30 PM
I know you can't stand being wrong Reaper but check out imfdb and stand up and show us you're a man and admit you too can be wrong.
I have no problem with being wrong. Being wrong is how I learn. However you will note I said "mentioned" in movies and TV. Almost all real auto pistols in movies will be 9mm no matter what they are portrayed as due to them running well with readily avaliable blanks.

Look at any functional 1911 in movies and you will see they either have a comp to hide the smaller bore or you can plainly see a 9mm bore. The most well know example is the old Alvin York movie where he is shown using a Luger instead of the M1911 he really used. All of this "what is most well know" stuff is pure speculation as there are no polls being taken of the average person.

It may be regional, but all I hear about is "dat Glock fotay."

~Boomslang~
September 19, 2010, 11:14 PM
Reaper is absolutely right, the .40 S&W is the most popular round in the United states. It holds most of the Law Enforcement contracts in our nation. Allthough the 9mm still has a massive following.

Diggers
September 20, 2010, 12:58 AM
Who knows about the 9mm vs .40 popularity contest in the country. Most people who are into shooting autos probably have both cals.

The 9 has been around for ever so it makes sense that there are alot of people out there still shooting the 9.

The .40 has been around for about 20 years now and really created for LEOs. That has worked out pretty well because if an agency isn't using the .40 they will be seen as behind the times. (I know all state LEOs in CA carry a .40)

Anyhow the reason why there are so many G22's for sale is simply because there are so many out there. I would wager that in the US Glock sells more G22s than any other model due to all the LEO buying them and then everyone else buying them because thats what LEOs use.

dogtown tom
September 21, 2010, 11:43 PM
dogtown tom Quote:
REAPER4206969
Quote:
Quote:
Source?

So.........you don't actually have a source?

I'll just call WalMart.:D

Since Reaper didn't have a source for his claim I did contact a couple and have received one response so far:

ATK (manufacturer of Speer, CCI, Federal & Fusion brands)

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, September 21, 2010 4:24 PM
To: dogtowntom
Subject: RE: Federal Premium - Ask the Expert Form

Greetings,

Our number one pistol cartridge for commercial sales is 9mm.

Thank you

REAPER4206969
September 22, 2010, 01:18 AM
You got me with Speer. They lost the FBI contract for .40 in 2007 and gained the French police contract in 2009 for 9x19. They also have the NYPD contract for 9mm and many other PD's that use the 9mm issue GoldDots or Hydra-Shoks.

6/22/2009

Lewiston, ID: A quarter-million French police officers will be supplied with Speer Gold Dot 9 mm ammunition manufactured at ATK's Lewiston site for their pistols.

atblis
September 22, 2010, 08:05 AM
I kind of suspect that "commercial" means non military and non LEO/Gov.

Cemo
September 22, 2010, 02:37 PM
Maybe the KB reputation with the 40's is scaring people away from them.

Mr.Davis
September 22, 2010, 05:55 PM
You're probably seeing police trade ins. I think the Glock 22 is probably the most ubiquitous police firearm in the USA, so therefore there are a ton of them on the secondary market.

Ala Dan
September 22, 2010, 05:56 PM
I'm selling police trade-in Glock 22's for #399.88; as long as they last, as
that's $100 off the retail price of a new one. These came courtesy of the
Milwaukee County (WI) Sheriffs Office; come in a cardboard box with 2x
standard capacity magazines~! ;) :D

FWIW: All have been used for training; some are in better shape than
other's.

Strahley
September 22, 2010, 06:41 PM
Type "Glock" into Google search and hit the space bar and see what automatically fills in.

In this order:

26, 22, 19, 17, talk, 23, 34, pistols, 18, 21

Looks like 9mm wins the Google test

atblis
September 22, 2010, 08:42 PM
You need to clear cookies and other tracking stuff first. If you do that, you get
Glock 19
Glock 17
Glock 23
Glock 22
etc.
Not sure that is really indicative of anything, though the Glock 19 is probably the most popular Glock on the commercial market.

Trade in Glock 22s with night sights can be had for $315 bucks. If they were Glock 17s or 19s, I would have ordered a few. I've inquired at the LGS, and used Glock 19s are easily the fastest movers.

TexasGunbie
September 22, 2010, 09:08 PM
so 9mm is better than 40? that's why 40 Glocks are flooding the street? Police trading in their glock 40 for glock 9s?

~Boomslang~
September 22, 2010, 11:47 PM
Those who are in the know dont bother to argue this. It is a mute point. Your claims fall on deaf ears.

dogtown tom
September 23, 2010, 12:18 AM
Apparently no one remembers all the Glock 17 & 19 LE trade ins several years ago.

I'm sure three or four years from now someone will make the claim that the .45GAP is the most popular handgun cartridge in the US because PD's all over the country use it.:uhoh::evil:

TimboKhan
September 23, 2010, 01:51 AM
so 9mm is better than 40? that's why 40 Glocks are flooding the street? Police trading in their glock 40 for glock 9s?

Without delving into an endless debate on ballistics, wound data, hyperion warp technology, black magic, reloading data 1900 thru 2010, thrown bones or any of the various other methods in which people defend which caliber is "best" the short and simple answer to your question is really just "no". Judging which caliber is best based on what the cops or the military buy is like judging which brand of mustard is best by tracking what Burger King uses. It just isn't as simple as saying this one is superior to that one.

For example, Police and Sheriff departments buy their guns in lots, and often times what they choose is influenced heavily by what they have to pay, hence the occasional reference in this thread to the .45GAP which is a pretty unsuccessful commercial cartridge by any measure. Glock, having invested a ton of money in developing that cartridge, offers pretty hefty discounts to police departments to buy those guns. Since the .45GAP is not, in and of itself, a bad round, some departments opted to select it because they could save considerable money by doing so. Larger departments, who obviously order larger lots of firearms when doing mass purchases, often have the ability to be more selective in their caliber choice because they are getting volume discounts. Keep in mind that plenty of departments are perfectly content with the good ol' .45ACP round and aren't going to change that come hell or high water. Militarily, the 9mm is the standard NATO handgun round. Since we are a member of NATO, we shoot what everyone else shoots, and that's about the long and short of that.

In the end, what you have is a slew of cartridges that all do similar things in similar ways, and while ballistics data tells one tale, it isn't the end all be all of caliber selection. The most common "fighting" calibers of today's world are the 9mm, the .40S&W and the .45ACP. There are others that are on the fringe, such as the .45GAP, the .357SIG and even the 10mm. Commercial viability aside, none of these cartridges is inherently good or bad, best or worst. 10mm fans are notorious for their zealous defense of that caliber, while the majority of people dislike it on account of it's purported recoil (which, incidentally, was the whole reason the .40 was developed anyway). Is it better or worse than a 9mm? In some ways yes, because it is simply a more powerful cartridge. On the other hand, it's harder to find ammo for, it does have a stronger recoil, and not everyone makes a pistol for it (though Glock does!). Because of those reasons, it is not an incorrect statement to say that it is not the ideal cartridge. On the other hand, the 9mm, while being the least powerful of all the major fighting calibers, is many people choice (to include mine) because it is soft shooting and it has a wide selection of bullet and load choices. With proper bullet selection, the 9mm is a perfectly good defensive round, with poor bullet selection not so much.

As far as the number of .40's available in your area, it's probably a Police trade in. They got new guns, and rather than just destroy the old ones, they are sold to the public at a discount over new models. Since departments are often standardized, you will of course see a pretty large number of one particular model on the market. If your department happened to have carried Glock 19's, that would be what you see on the market in droves. It doesn't mean a thing, good or bad, what caliber it is. Police trade-ins are just that and the sudden appearance of a particular caliber (or the adoption of a new one) has absolutely zero bearing on whether or not that caliber is better or worse than some other caliber.

TexasGunbie
September 23, 2010, 02:39 PM
Timbo, your well thought out replied puts an end to my thread lol.

If you enjoyed reading about "Is there anything wrong with GLOCK 22?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!