Carrying a p226?

PDA

hopper
September 17, 2010, 01:57 PM
I know that it can be done, despite the relatively large size of the gun. What I don't know is the best method to carry and maximize concealment and comfort. I figure loose clothing is a must, IWB... I haven't bought a holster for the gun yet because I want to get something that works with where I decide to carry. Ideally the 5 o'clock position would be best for me, but I am totally open to suggestions.

I know I am going to get a lot of "buy a smaller gun" comments - and yes I plan on finding something compact for EDC very soon - but I want to be able to make due with what I have for now.

If you enjoyed reading about "Carrying a p226?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
G27RR
September 17, 2010, 02:14 PM
A Crossbreed Supertuck may be a good choice. It has pretty widely spaced belt clips to distribute the weight. I've never tried a P226 with one, but the Supertuck works great with 1911s (which can be heavier even though they are thinner than the Sig)

9mmepiphany
September 17, 2010, 06:22 PM
I used to carry a 226 or 220 in a Comp-Tac Settable Cant Paddle holster under a loose oversized T-shirt or under a unbuttoned demin workshirt. I wear it just in the hollow behind my hip.

Wearing IWB lets you wear shorter shirts, but has a tendency to mis-align your spine

jaysouth
September 17, 2010, 09:34 PM
I carried a 220/226 for many years in a Kramer horsehide IWB. It worked great for me.

From appearances, the newer hybrid jobs might just be even better.

Dean1818
September 17, 2010, 09:43 PM
great gun, have one, carry it when I hunt....
Loaded and ready to go at as home defense

but....

IWB seems rough to me with a 226

MAybe if you are 6 foot 8 inches and 300lbs

For me..... I would go smaller for IWB

the foot
September 17, 2010, 10:06 PM
I don't see carrying my P226 IWB.

I use a Galco CCP, holds the P226 tight to me, and wear an open shirt, or long jacket, or Sonny Crockett style cotton blazer depending on the weather. Hey, if Sonny could carry that Colt under that blazer, it will sure enough conceal the P226.

You need a good belt.

AK103K
September 17, 2010, 10:08 PM
The P226 really isnt all that big, about the size of a Colt Commander. I've carried both at some point, IWB, every day for years, with no difficulty, and I'm 5'6", 170 with a 32/33" waist. Carried P220's and P229's in the same manner as well. One thing about SIG's, theres little difference between models, size wise.

A good IWB holster (I use Blade Tech and Milt Sparks) and belt, with the gun at 4-4:30, and you should have no troubles. The gun just tucks in that little nook below your ribs and above your hips.

Nushif
September 17, 2010, 11:07 PM
I carry a Beretta 92 Centurion right now with just the Beretta brand holster. OWB under a nice loose shirt, which in turn is over a T-Shirt.
No negative responses yet. And this town is pretty anti-gun.

If you enjoyed reading about "Carrying a p226?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!