22 Magnum vs 17 hmr

PDA

rugerman07
September 17, 2010, 05:55 PM
For varmints up to coyotes in size which is really the best? I've heard the 17 HMR is good up to 200 yards while the 22 magnum is only good up to 150 yards. Once and for all, which is the superior round?

If you enjoyed reading about "22 Magnum vs 17 hmr" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
pikid89
September 17, 2010, 05:58 PM
the one you can put in the right spot

or 22 mag cuz its cheaper

CB900F
September 17, 2010, 06:24 PM
Rugerman07;

I've already voted, with my wallet. I purchased a .22 magnum, and very seriously doubt I'll ever possess anything that's sub-.22.

900F

gofastman
September 17, 2010, 07:24 PM
i would rather have a .22 Mag, no real good reason to back that up though

rugerman07
September 17, 2010, 07:31 PM
Honestly, I've been leaning more toward the 22 Mag. I already have a Ruger Single Six with dual cylinders (22/lr-22 mag). It needs a good bolt action rifle companion.

jimmyraythomason
September 17, 2010, 07:35 PM
I have a .22 magnum that I have used for 20 years. It is very accurate to ranges of 125 yards and even a little more. If I need anything for longer ranges I will use my .223 Stevens Model 200. I'm sure the .17 is a fantastic round and many folks around here use one but I see no need for one in my future.

matrem
September 17, 2010, 07:51 PM
I'd feel guilty pulling the trigger on a yote at 200 with a .17 HMR or at 150 with a .22 mag.
If critters are < 10 lbs. .17 gets my vote.
For an all around rimfire round, easy choice for me.. .22 mag.

Ifishsum
September 17, 2010, 08:11 PM
For smaller varmints up to chucks I really like my .17HMR and it does a great job on those out to 150 or a little more, but that explosive little 17 gr bullet would not be good for a body shot on a coyote IMO, at least not at that range. Between the two, for coyote sized animals I'd much rather have the heavier 40 gr bullet from the .22 mag even if it limits my range a little. Like Jimmyray, past 125-150 I'd use a centerfire anyway.

non2os13
September 17, 2010, 09:08 PM
i use my 17hmr on almost every pest. not sure i would try to pop a coyote with it though.
haven't seen too many lurking around my house though.

NavyLCDR
September 17, 2010, 09:11 PM
There is a big issue going on with .17 HMR semi-auto rifles. So if you want a semi-auto, I would go with .22 MAG.

Sock Puppet
September 17, 2010, 10:40 PM
I recently went through the same debate, and there is no definitive answer for everyone. It really depends what your intended use is. I have several relatives with .17HMRs and they are great rifles. At the end of the day, I chose a .22 Mag because it better fit my needs. I really like the flexibility of the 22 Mag considering the ammo choices, and various 30, 33, and 40 grain bullets. I had mine sighted in at 125 yards which helps bring the POI inline with a 17 at 100 yards (generally speaking.) I just changed scopes, so I need to head to the range again.

My Marlin 983S (I really wanted a tube feed):

http://i616.photobucket.com/albums/tt246/Ziaduck/Boom%20Sticks/BoomStickPics008.jpg

xtriggerman
September 18, 2010, 12:07 AM
An old guy came in to my shop a few years ago with a Marlin model 57M Levermatic .22mag. The gun had a broken fireing pin that he wanted replaced. He went on to say if he had to choose 1 gun for all his needs, it would be that magnum. This old hiller's family goes way back in these mountains and they have been shooting deer all year long for meat as a regular diet. This ol guy wasnt shy about touting the effectivness of the .22 mag on the many hundreds of deer he's allegedly shot since the early sixties. I have to say, the back of the bolt had the most hammer pean ware Iv ever seen on a used gun. I asked him if he was useing head shots to down the deer and to my surprise, he sayed "a clean chest shot has never failed him"! Now, Im not advocating the use of this "illegal" round on big game but from the ware on the back of that bolt, I bet the old timer wasnt BS'n me. The 22mag sure is a proven all around cartridge. 17 ??

alohachris
September 18, 2010, 12:32 AM
I've never shot either round, but I do have 2 cents and an anecdote.

I recently treated a .17 HMR gunshot wound. A guy stopped to do something while shooting, leaned his rifle against his hip and it discharged at contact distance. The bullet followed a diagonal trajectory from his hip toward his shoulder through the abdomen. It penetrated about 8 inches and then fragmented terribly. It took us 2 hours to dig all the tiny little pieces out of his belly. He was sitting up talking prior to surgery and recovered fully from his GSW.

Based on this (not scientific) experience, I don't picture a .17 HMR killing a coyote reliably.

Jefferson Herb
September 18, 2010, 12:36 AM
I like the .22mag: Ammo Choices- 30gr hps of various brands and types,34gr win supreme if you can find it and afford it,40gr fmj,40gr hp,40gr sp,45gr wrf for small game and less destructive,50gr fed hp.
17 chouces 17gr and 20 gr in a few choices.

straitnate14
September 18, 2010, 12:53 AM
I vote for the 17! I have turned many of black birds into pieces with mine. I will say that the 20gr bullets are also very good at vaporizing black birds up to my longest shot at just 220 yards. What I like about my 17 is the fact that I can put 3 shots in a dime sized group at 100 yards. The CCI 17gr hollow points and the Hornady 20gr hollow points are the only bullets I use now.

oldfool
September 18, 2010, 01:04 AM
seems like yotes are awfully contentious critters vs. gun forum calibers

my 2 cents (or less)..
twenty somethin' centerfires kill 'em pretty good, just like they always did
rimfires are not centerfires
there is a lot of overlap between WMR and hummer, but both are rimfires, and close misses don't much count w/ either one, and count even less at much over 100 yards

rifle and/or ammo "dollar for dollar", WMR ain't likely to do groups on paper what 17HMR is most likely to do for you, absent luck of the draw on rifle
but "pound for pound" of same size critter at same range, WMR hits harder, poly-V or no-V
either "can do" yotes at 100+ yards, but neither one is 223, 22-250, swift, hornet, etc.
(and don't hold your breath waiting on the military to switch to rimfire)

Jefferson Herb
September 18, 2010, 01:12 AM
You are correct.I've used 140 ballistic tips in 7mag on yotes,and know of someone who just had a 6.5/7stw built by pacnor,130's at 3500,and dime groups at 100.Replacing his ,264 win mag for 1000yd shots.
But with ammunition being what it is,I'll use less powder at shorter ranges and save the screemers for when needed - ie 55nbt at 3600 in.22-250

22magman
September 18, 2010, 01:22 AM
.22 mag definetly, i have two lever actions and three bolt actions, and yes they are right about larger animals... now of course i haven't did this but i have "seen" several whitetail deer stop dead in their tracks with a .22 mag at distances over 120 yards, its all about shot placement... no need for a .17 here....

Roughneck08
September 18, 2010, 02:02 AM
I'd prefer the .22 magnum to utilize the heavier bullets. I really like my .22 mag revolver!

bang_bang
September 18, 2010, 10:03 AM
22 Magnum

I've seen a lot of critters taken with 22 Magnums. The lighter JHP and Ballistic Tips are great on rabbits, groundhogs, etc. The heavier 40 grain lead nose or even a HP is suitable from anything up to a deer, if you can put it where it needs to go.

jimmyraythomason
September 18, 2010, 02:03 PM
This is my Savage 65M in .22 magnum. The action and barrel are fully glass bedded. The scope is a Barska 3x9x42 Ridgeline. It ain't pretty but it consistantly puts 5 shots into one hole @100yds. For longer shots is the Stevens Model 200 in .223 Rem. topped with the Nikon Prostaff 3x9x40. It shoots Prvi Partisan 75 grn match hollow points better than any other bullet I've tried in it.

Radagast
September 19, 2010, 08:46 AM
I have both, a CZ452 Classic in .22 magnum and a CZ452 American in .17 HMR. If restricted to one I would go with the .22 magnum. The magnum is often used for game up to the size of goats here in Australia, I wouldn't have a problem with using it on Coyotes.
If I had a .223 then I would probably go with the .17 HMR as the rimfire companion, but restrict it to smaller game.

The .17 HMR is definitely more accurate than the .22 magnum, doesn't matter what round I load, I get smaller groups off the bench with the .17. But in the end 1/2 minute of angle vs minute of angle doesn't matter for the shots I will be taking. YMMV.

Art Eatman
September 19, 2010, 11:17 AM
I'd prefer something bigger than either cartridge for coyotes. For all that I've pretty much always hit the particular place on an animal that I intended, I don't really want to have to rely on near-perfection to have a clean kill.

Odds are that I'd not be using either cartridge out beyond 50 or 75 yards on Ol' Wily, just on general principles...

CB900F
September 19, 2010, 12:04 PM
Fella's;

I agree with Art. My dedicated coyote rifle is a 6mm Remington. I use the Hornady 75 grain V-Max bullet exiting the muzzle at around 3100 fps. That combination allows me to effectively put the boogers down at reasonable ranges under less than ideal wind conditions.

Keep in mind that if you shoot one and don't kill it, you've just educated it. An educated coyote is a very difficult beastie to harvest. I also have no doubt that an educated female will also try to pass on her hard-earned knowledge to any pups. Use enough gun!

900F

Justin Holder
September 19, 2010, 12:32 PM
You must remember in some places unfortunately you are restricted to only use rimfire cartridges for certain situations.

The 22 mag is by far the better killer of larger critters.

Last summer I dropped a coyote with a neck shot at 106 yards using Winchesters wonderful Super-X 40gr. JHP load. :D

jimmyraythomason
September 19, 2010, 02:22 PM
You must remember in some places unfortunately you are restricted to only use rimfire cartridges for certain situations.
That is a concern here. Not from a legal stand point but from a land owner stand point. Most coyotes are found around farms and dairies and the owners do not want long range firearms used around their cattle.

Jefferson Herb
September 22, 2010, 01:18 AM
I love this!Something to replace the 9mm-.45acp debate.I do agree,estate guns sometimes have to be less offensive in the noise dept,less noise from neighbors;I never heard a word about 1 or 2 .22mag rds.

Vitrophyre
September 25, 2010, 08:56 PM
17hmr is superior to the 22wmr hands down. It's faster, straighter, longer, and does much more damage with the introduction of the hornady ballistic tip. :neener:

jimmyraythomason
September 25, 2010, 09:44 PM
17hmr is superior to the 22wmr hands down. It's faster, straighter, longer, and does much more damage with the introduction of the hornady ballistic tip. I never had anything shot with the .22 magnum require a second shot so I guess it is good enough.

Radagast
September 26, 2010, 03:46 AM
I've found the hornady ballistic tip ammo to give so so accuracy out of my CZ452 .22 magnum. The Winchester Super X 40 grain hp gives a much smaller group size, around half that of the ballistic tip.
The 17HMR in each of it's variations, ballistic tip & JHP is about half the group size again.
I am also happy that every variant of 17HMR shoots to the same point of impact, while the .22 magnum has a different POI for each round. So I stick to the Winchester ammo in the .22 magnum.

jimmyraythomason
September 26, 2010, 11:10 AM
I don't know if my .22 mag's accuracy would suffer if I used another brand or bullet weight. I get 5 shot,1 hole accuracy @ 100 yards from 40 gr CCI Maxi-mags so I have no need or desire to try anything else.

Radagast
September 26, 2010, 08:29 PM
I think I would become quite stuck in my ways if I was getting that level of accuracy too. You can't really improve on perfection. :)

butcherboy
September 26, 2010, 09:45 PM
my marlin 983 shoots the cci 40 grains the best. so far.

If you enjoyed reading about "22 Magnum vs 17 hmr" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!