New Glock 30SF - FTF issues...

PDA

gbelleh
September 18, 2010, 05:15 PM
I just picked up my brand new Glock 30 SF with night sights today. Took it to the range, and it jams on the last round from the mag about 40% of the time. The round gets stuck 1/2 way into the chamber. :(

Always on the last round from the mag. Doesn't seem to matter which mag, it happened with both stock mags, and a Glock 21 mag.

The mags were very stiff out of the box, but even after they loosened up a bit, after almost 200 rounds, it still happened.

Any known reason for this? Ways to help fix it? I really like how it shoots, but this is unacceptable for a CCW gun.

Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "New Glock 30SF - FTF issues..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
DustyVermonter
September 18, 2010, 07:43 PM
Its probably because all Glocks are pure trash, buy a Sig.

Just being sarcastic, it probably needs a little breaking in, 300 rds or so, I had some troubles with my G36 when I first got it but after about 250 rounds I never had another issue.

BTW, I am a big time Glock guy and would never seriously derogate them.

DustyVermonter
September 18, 2010, 07:52 PM
Don't write the Glock off just yet, another thing that you want to make sure of is that the recoil spring is properly seated, sometimes when ppl re-assemble it it is not properly seated in the notch.

I am sure this is not what is happening in this case, but it is one more thing to check off the list.

CTGunner
September 18, 2010, 07:55 PM
I feel for you. Getting a new gun and having an issue like this isn't fun. I have been in your shoes, but never with a Glock. I have never had a failure of any kind with any Glock that I have owned or rented. That's not to say that it can't and doesn't happen. Glocks, in my experience, do NOT require a break in period. It may be worth shooting it more, and with different ammo....but personally, I would bring it back, but definitely stick with Glock!.

I remember purchasing a ruger p95, generally acknowledged as a rock solid and super reliable tank of a gun. I got it out the range on day 1 and it failed continuously. I brought it back to the seller and he bought it back at full price and gave me a new one. I never had another problem. Good luck.

gbelleh
September 18, 2010, 08:12 PM
I'm still hoping it's a break-in issue. It was very stiff out of the box. Full mags would barely seat.
I'm not a Glock basher, but I'm also no stranger to Glock malfunctions. This is my 3rd problematic Glock (no I'm not limp wristing).

Also, I disassembled it at least 3 times at the range to check for proper seating of parts and possible broken parts, etc.

I bought it off the internet, so I can't take it back, and shipping back to Glock is more of a hassle than it's worth for me right now.

I'll probably try putting another 200 or 300 rounds through it next weekend and see how it does. Hopefully it will continue to loosen up. I'd really like this to be my new CCW.

DustyVermonter
September 18, 2010, 08:33 PM
I generally agree that the Glocks do not require a break-in period, but for some reason the G30 and G36 are a little touchy in the beginning, but after the first or second UMC value pack they run like tanks from then on.

I am confident that these problems you are having will subside after a couple hundred more rounds, I would bet that its a combination of stiff mag and recoil springs.

As I said before, I had the same issues with my G36 and they subsided after 250 rds, after that it ran like a tank, I actually sold it and now regret it very much, I now have a G20, G21, G17 and a G26 and have never had a malfunction of any kind with them, the sub-comp Glock .45's seem to be the exception but would still have no qualms about owning one, although I find my current Glock lineup to be "Glock perfection". :)

gbelleh
September 20, 2010, 10:52 PM
Another thing... I was so distracted by the malfunctions, I forgot to mention that about half the brass ejected straight back into my face. Could there be an extractor problem?

That also makes shooting it kind of unnerving when you never know when a hot case is going to launch into your forehead. Thank goodness for shooting glasses.

GLOOB
September 21, 2010, 02:26 AM
The extractor is definitely a suspect. When a round stops halfway in, it could be because the extractor is too long or that is has a sharp edge in the wrong spot. Or the extractor tension might be too tight. The same kind of stoppage happened to my friend's G19 when it was limpwristed the first few hundred rounds. But after that, it loosened up enough to where if it starts to chamber, it will continue on to full battery no matter what.

The ejection pattern is also a symptom that can result from a "grabby" extractor.

I'd shoot it some more to see if it loosens up. If not, then perhaps a little polishing is in order. A replacement is only 20 bucks if you screw up.

I just got done sanding 7/100 of a millimeter off the tip of the extractor on my well used Daewoo DP-51, for the same problem (actually, it only happened when I hand cycled, but it was still annoying). I can't even get replacement parts, so I'm really glad it worked out!

Not as likely, but you should also rule out any roughness or burrs in the chamber and breechface. Also, the ammo you're shooting might have too large a rim diameter and/or thickness. Or the groove depth might be too shallow. Simply changing ammo might make these problems go away.

REAPER4206969
September 21, 2010, 06:47 AM
Is the slide rubbing the trigger bar cam?

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQCFc4Fjt4LqkKifTA16gB4QrvgSBFi4TpLs_BuiamZn31SlIM&t=1&usg=__wfZsEzTvIwV5Psvy6wMWIGPMczQ=

gbelleh
September 21, 2010, 04:43 PM
There is definitely wear on the bar. Here's a picture.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a361/gbelleh/8ea273e8.jpg

GLOOB
September 21, 2010, 06:39 PM
Read the number on it. If it ends in "-1" then it's the older style and may be out of spec. The updated part ends in "-1-".

Full Metal Jacket
September 21, 2010, 07:03 PM
There is definitely wear on the bar. Here's a picture.

my new g29 non-SF (same frame as the g30) rubs the trigger bar. as does every new one i've looked at in gunshops. they all had rub marks just from the two test shots fired at the factory, whether SF or not. however, i've had no issues.

Read the number on it. If it ends in "-1" then it's the older style and may be out of spec. The updated part ends in "-1-".

i put in a non-update smooth trigger bar in my g29 "-1", and it actually rubs the slide less than the updated one "-1-". glock's run by a bunch of morons these days. like i said, never had any jams either way. they all rub.

to the OP: it has on rare occasions caused failure to return to battery probs like you're having. yours is not rubbing any harder than mine does, judging from your pic. shoot it some more, it'll prob go away. :)

gbelleh
September 21, 2010, 07:37 PM
Thanks,
I plan to give it 300 more rounds this weekend.

gbelleh
September 21, 2010, 07:52 PM
BTW, I just checked and it does have a -1- number. It's pretty new. The fired case envelope has a date of 7/16/10.

Hmmm, that was a Friday. :uhoh:

Evenflo76
September 21, 2010, 07:59 PM
What kind of ammo were you using???

gofastman
September 21, 2010, 08:05 PM
but this is unacceptable for a CCW gun.
I think so.
I think most people, as well as Glock, would agree.
Send it back!

gbelleh
September 21, 2010, 08:06 PM
Mostly 230gr Blazer Brass FMJ (I've shot several hundred of these without problems in my 1911s and HKs). It also happened with 230 gr. Golden Saber. None of the 230 gr. Gold Dots I fired jammed, but I doubt the problem is ammo related.

Full Metal Jacket
September 21, 2010, 08:58 PM
you're right, It's not ammo related.

I would stick to your 300 round plan, if the prob persists then call glock, but I doubt it will.

By the way, I don't think the made on Friday thing applies to products made in Austria lol ;)

gbelleh
September 26, 2010, 07:58 PM
Ok,
Well, I guess the Glock gnomes visited from Austria and fixed my gun while I slept this week. Because I put 250 more rounds of Federal 230 gr FMJ through the Glock 30 today, and it was flawless with all 3 magazines. I was still getting some brass to the face, but not quite as bad as before. It seems like all the parts have now worn in as much as they're going to.

So, I'm pretty confident in it at this point. If it can get through another 150 rounds, and a few more mags of hollow points with no malfunctions, then I'll call it ready for CCW this winter.

Thanks for the comments.

jackpinesavages
September 26, 2010, 08:03 PM
Keep shooting it. What was wrong with your first 3 shots? Miss the headshots, did yeah?

Full Metal Jacket
September 26, 2010, 09:01 PM
Ok,
Well, I guess the Glock gnomes visited from Austria and fixed my gun while I slept this week. Because I put 250 more rounds of Federal 230 gr FMJ through the Glock 30 today, and it was flawless with all 3 magazines. I was still getting some brass to the face, but not quite as bad as before. It seems like all the parts have now worn in as much as they're going to.

glad to hear it, told ya! :)

If you enjoyed reading about "New Glock 30SF - FTF issues..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!