Lost a good one today...

PDA

jrhines
January 22, 2003, 11:56 PM
Bill Mauldin, creator of "Up Front" with Willie and Joe, passed away in California today. I don't know his view on RKBA, but I've read his book and think I know how he felt about the WWII G.I. We are losing WWII vets at 1000 a day, or so I've heard. They always amaze me when I meet one, like on the golf course last week in Melbourne, FL. The guy was 84, a radio/sonarman on a sub. Deployed on war patrol in Nov, 1941 to Midway...Said they sank, I don't know, pick a number, 15 Jap ships. But I do remember that he heard 526 depth charges go off over him. Said the first one scared the hell out of him, but after that, they were a bother, 'cause you couldn't hear the ships moving. He walked the course, but only 9 holes. Lost his wife of 54 years last Oct. "So how are you doing?" "I get a little lonely!" I shook his hand and thanked him.
So Mauldin is gone and I guess Willie and Joe can't be far behind. Go find one of 'em, buy them a beer, take them shooting, or just sit a talk for awhile. Shake their hand, tell 'em thank you.

J.Rhines
Seneca, MD

If you enjoyed reading about "Lost a good one today..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Tamara
January 23, 2003, 12:05 AM
'Bye, Willie! 'Bye, Joe!

:(

TexasVet
January 23, 2003, 12:06 AM
I heard this on the radio today and almost had to pull over. I have his four books and the one I treasure the most is my copy of "News Of The 45th" by Don Robinson and Bill Mauldin. It was published by the University of Oklahoma Press in 1944. Has most of his wartime cartoons in it.
Robinson was the editor of the 45th Division News in Europe during the war and Mauldin was on his staff. When the 45th (Oklahoma National Guard) landed in Sicily, the paper staff hit the beach with them and followed them the rest of the war.
Oh, one of the reasons this book is a treasure to me is the "ex libris" sticker with my Dad's name on it, in calligraphy done by my grand dad.

Mike Irwin
January 23, 2003, 12:13 AM
Bummer.

And Joe Foss, Medal of Honor Winner in WW II, was buried with full military honors at Arlington National Cemetery.

I noticed this evening, as I was reading my February American Rifleman, that Foss was up for reelection to the NRA Board of Directors.

Jim V
January 23, 2003, 12:14 AM
I was saddened to hear of his death. I can't tell you how many times I have read UP FRONT.

We are diminished.

cuchulainn
January 23, 2003, 12:22 AM
http://www.sgaus.org/car.gif

beemerb
January 23, 2003, 02:27 AM
I think one of the things I will remember for the rest of my life was a hour long talk with a WW 1 vet.I was in a guard unit and we had a open house.He and part of his family wondered in.He looked(hard to discribe) sort of in wonder at the stuff on display.I interduced myself and asked if I could help him with anything.He said he would like to look at the machine guns.I showed him the 50's and the M 60's we had out.Then he informed me he was in a machine gun squad in WW 1.His mind was very sharp and we talked for about a hour till he had to go.He had a satified look on his face when he walked out the door.
I have so much respect for vets such as him that it can't be put in words.I can't even comprehend wat he went through.
Bob

Greg L
January 23, 2003, 08:31 AM

I remember finding Up Front in the library back when I was about 10 or so. Thinking that it was a comic book I worked my way slowly through it. It took a while but at the end I had a better grasp of WWII European Theater operations than any other kid at school (most of the teachers too :D ). Willie and Joe have been friends of mine for 25+ years now.

We are diminished.

Greg

BigG
January 23, 2003, 09:03 AM
Salute our veterans and support our soljers!

Bill Mauldin was a good'un.

Loved the cartoon where Willie and Joe were coming back off the front lines and saw the sign where 3d Army was issuing fines for not shaving.

Ledbetter
January 23, 2003, 02:21 PM
Steve is a friend of mine for twenty years. I met him when he was a Marshal at the Courthouse and I was a court-going lawyer. He's retired now.

It wasn't 'til I'd known him for a while that I discovered he had landed on the beach at Normandy on D-Day.

He recently told me he had been diagnosed with a serious ailment. Couple of days later I called him and asked him if he wanted to go Garand-shooting with me.

Although he expressed an interest, he had a previous engagement that trip, but I'm giving him another call with plenty of advance this time.

Drizzt
January 24, 2003, 01:39 PM
http://ww2.pstripes.osd.mil/02/nov02/mauldin/images/_maul07.jpg

"Nonsense. S-2 reported that machine gun silenced hours ago. Stop wiggling your fingers at me."

Drizzt
January 24, 2003, 01:40 PM
http://ww2.pstripes.osd.mil/02/nov02/mauldin/images/_maul16.jpg

"I'm depending on you old men to be a steadying influence for the replacements."

Blackhawk
January 24, 2003, 01:45 PM
He was great, and his work timeless.

Too bad it goes over the head of those who have no frame of reference, but I guess that's good too.

Adios, Bill!

Drizzt
January 24, 2003, 01:51 PM
http://ww2.pstripes.osd.mil/02/nov02/mauldin/images/_maul33.jpg

"We'll go away an' stop botherin' you boys now. Jerry's got our range."

jmbg29
January 24, 2003, 01:51 PM
Day is done,
gone the sun,
from the lakes
from the hills
from the sky,
all is well,
safely, rest,
God is near.

Fading light,
Dims the sight,
And a star gems the sky
Gleaming bright,
From afar,
Drawing, near,
Falls the night.

Thanks and praise,
For our days,
Neath the sun
Neath the stars
Neath the sky,
As we go,
This, we, know,
God is near.

blades67
January 24, 2003, 02:17 PM
He will be missed, but at least we have his books to remind us.:(

If you enjoyed reading about "Lost a good one today..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!