Stupid!

PDA

9mmforMe
September 19, 2010, 09:32 PM
So my wife, who is going to law school, had a fellow female student over today to work on a project. As this lady was leaving my wife saw that I was on the computer and mentioned that I spend a good amount of time on THR...nothing else...just a simple statement. Her friend, as she's walking out the door, just out of the blue said, "oh guns...they kill people." She was partly down the stairs outside my townhouse before I'd realized that I'd just been "raped" by the oldest, lamest contention in the book. The bad news is that she will be coming over weekly and my wife pleaded with me not to "start something" with her. This really sucks since I'm not one to sit by and listen to specious arguments about gun control and social violence theories.

Maybe I should invite her to the range? :evil:

If you enjoyed reading about "Stupid!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Onward Allusion
September 19, 2010, 09:45 PM
Yes, you should.

Maybe I should invite her to the range? :evil:

Danb1215
September 19, 2010, 09:47 PM
LOL. good one.
Did she take a car to get to/from your house?...they kill people.
Did she drink any alcohol at your house?...that kills people.
Did she stay for dinner?.....knives kill people.
Do you have a dog?...those kill people.
The stairs she walked down...those kill people.
etc...

Look at it this way, virtually everything in your house can/does kill someone somewhere eventually, at least she only made one stupid/incomplete statement while she was there, she could have gone on for a while...

Black Knight
September 19, 2010, 09:50 PM
If she accepts your invitation make shooting a game. Take some baloons and attach them to the target board and pop them. Make a big dart board or a few and play darts with bullets. Play poker the same way. Then show how in many parts of the country people still hunt to put food on the table. Of course this is after the safety briefing.

hardworker
September 19, 2010, 09:51 PM
It'd be one thing if getting into it with her would change anything but it won't and will be all around counter productive.

Gato Montés
September 19, 2010, 10:01 PM
I wouldn't try to do anything. Let your wife finish her project and don't worry about it. If I'm a guest, I don't make smug judgmental comments toward the host. Someone who does that is not worth the time.

JEB
September 19, 2010, 10:15 PM
Maybe I should invite her to the range?

if you can get her to go, then go for it! its funny how people that dont like guns somehow manage to have a load of fun when a shooter takes them to the range for the first time.

Hardtarget
September 19, 2010, 10:33 PM
O.K. If she starts on the guns...you ask if she has a computer...on line?..have a scanner?..digital camera?....then she has the assault weapon of child molesters. She should just turn herself in to the police. She will, one day, molest a child...:evil:

Its as reasonable as"guns kill people".:fire::cuss::banghead:

That attitude makes me :barf:.

Mark

(I don't think I've ever used this many smilies1 :D

ccsniper
September 19, 2010, 10:36 PM
she is in law school? She may just be picking at you to try to get into an argument. Lawyers do that.

hammerklavier
September 19, 2010, 10:53 PM
Tell her she should at least shoot some guns before she makes a judgment call, so invite her to the range.

skwab
September 19, 2010, 11:07 PM
she's your wife's study partner - personally I'd leave it alone unless she brings it up again. If she does, then I would take that opportunity to try to educate her, and then offer to take her to the range - if she's going to be a lawyer, she should learn how to protect herself - approach her with that emphasis. Otherwise, you might be picking a no-win fight with a close minded anti that will get you nothing but a ticked off spouse!

mnrivrat
September 20, 2010, 12:17 AM
Put a "This house is protected by S&W" sticker on the door .

labhound
September 20, 2010, 01:33 AM
Just agree with her and don't say anything else! ;)

Ragnar Danneskjold
September 20, 2010, 04:41 AM
If it's your wife's study partner, you need to put her first. Don't F up your wife's chances at a good grade to win a political argument. I'm not saying don't try to win her over, but be cognizant of what the real priorities are: your wife's schooling.

omegaflame
September 20, 2010, 04:53 AM
Don't say anything. The next time she is coming over, take out every "assault" (in the media's eyes) weapon you have for "cleaning". AK-47/AR-15/whatever.

Preferably somewhere where it's visible from their work area. Don't get into a political argument with her. If she makes a statement like that, simply make a comment about how incredibly rude (and naive as well if you want) she is and tell her to please concentrate on their project it as it's not her house. (I would then make attempts to de-escalate the situation from then on out). If she keeps going you've got a class A nutjob.

If your wife strongly feels against it then don't do it.

MrCleanOK
September 20, 2010, 05:10 AM
Hell yeah guns kill people. Now, it just so happens that it's because we have a tendency to point them at each other and pull the trigger, but that's immaterial.

paperpuncher49
September 20, 2010, 06:09 AM
Yes, and incompetent and/or arrogant lawyers also get people killed, and from my experience, the vast majority of them are incompetent and pompous.

LemmyCaution
September 20, 2010, 06:23 AM
"Guns. They kill people."

And thank god for that. They wouldn't be nearly as useful for self defense if all they did was make the bad guy feel socially awkward.

Used responsibly yes, Virginia, guns kill the people who would deprive us of our lives and liberty, and keep alive the people we care about.

Your wife's friend needs more than an education about firearms. She needs to understand some more basic things about the nature of evil and self reliance in the face of it.

Which is well beyond your mandate.

shockwave
September 20, 2010, 06:39 AM
If it's your wife's study partner, you need to put her first. Don't F up your wife's chances at a good grade to win a political argument.

Absolutely true. And yes, guns kill people. Sometimes, it's good to be the strong, silent type. Quibbling and quarreling with people over political peccadilloes is petty behavior, at best. When the wife's study partner comes over, smile and be nice, leave them alone. This way, you score points with everyone. The other way, you're a gigantic ... the word starts with 'd' and rhymes with 'whoosh.'

FROGO207
September 20, 2010, 07:36 AM
Yes sometimes what you DO NOT say is more High Road than what needs to be said. That said if the opportunity arises then a well thought out educational tidbit that you sneak in under her radar with that will get her to thinking about RKBA then good for you.:D
I find that trying to argue stupid with logic makes me into the more stupid party. Old saying---Never have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.

oldbanjo
September 20, 2010, 07:55 AM
I wouldn't discuss anything with someone that stupid. You need to stay out of it but your wife can look a you tube "gun control" see Susanne's video and then she (NOT YOU) can mention the horrible thing that happened to Susanne"s parents. IT WOULD BE A LOOSING BATTLE FOR YOU.

hardluk1
September 20, 2010, 08:02 AM
You could have a couple guns out cleaning them next time and have a camera running. Let here rant. Then see if there professor might like to have a class about that subject. Maybe

eight433
September 20, 2010, 08:19 AM
Yeah, guns kill people. Just like spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

I would drop it. Very disrespectful of her, but let it go. If she says it again, I would ask her to check her attitude at the door, but leave guns out of the argument, for your wife's sake.

jahwarrior
September 20, 2010, 08:31 AM
next time she comes over, make sure you're carrying openly.

Dr T
September 20, 2010, 08:44 AM
Your wife's schooling is more important than any transitory gratification you will get by provoking her study partner. Help her get through the semester by making the study easier. It will pay off long term

I suggest that you use your wife's study time to vacate the premises and go to an indoor range open at night, a movie, gun shopping, toy shopping with the kids, bible study, working out, taking that Italian course so after she is a lawyer she can take you on a tour of Tuscany, etc.

doc2rn
September 20, 2010, 08:56 AM
I would get a poster of the constitution and highlight the second ammendment for her as a study aid:what:

snubbies
September 20, 2010, 08:58 AM
Has your wife addressed the issue with her study partner????

9mmforMe
September 20, 2010, 09:07 AM
I'm just going to ignore this person when she is over studying with my wife and spend time with an infinitely brighter person, my 4 year old daughter.
If she persists to bring up the topic I will challenge her gently, but nothing too over the top since I don't want to put my wife in an uncomfortable position or jeopardize her grades.

VinnAY
September 20, 2010, 09:19 AM
Carrying openly is a good idea, I'd do that plus have an AR or something scary looking on the table being cleaned. A few hundred rounds laying about, some magazines, give her the WORKS.

rbernie
September 20, 2010, 09:31 AM
I fail to see how being deliberately antagonistic is going to be productive and helpful to our cause. I certainly do not see how it represents The High Road.

Either ignore the comment or engage politely.

Ron Go
September 20, 2010, 09:32 AM
A poor legal defence could also cause the death of a client.
I wouldn't let her offhand ignorant comment bother you.
If she raises it again (highly doubt it) then you could have a better discussion.

7.62 Nato
September 20, 2010, 09:33 AM
Your wife or you should invite her to keep her opinions to herself in your house. Tell her if she would like to engage in an open minded, adult discussion on the topic, that would be acceptable.

Jonah71
September 20, 2010, 09:37 AM
I wouldn't try to do anything. Let your wife finish her project and don't worry about it. If I'm a guest, I don't make smug judgmental comments toward the host. Someone who does that is not worth the time.
Yes....what he said.

sub-moa
September 20, 2010, 09:38 AM
9mm, are you clairvoyant or what? Naming your thread appropriately in advance specifically to cover replies such as >>>>> "Quibbling and quarreling with people over political peccadilloes is petty behavior, at best. When the wife's study partner comes over, smile and be nice, leave them alone. This way, you score points with everyone. The other way, you're a gigantic ... the word starts with 'd' and rhymes with 'whoosh.'"

Let me get this straight...A stranger invited to your home is informed, in a passing sociable manner, of your personal subject of interest, a subject any common fool with an IQ above room temperature realizes is not without strong feelings. This stranger is so smug and arrogant as to feel completely free to make a flippant, ignorant, insulting remark regarding your personal subject of interest. Your lovely bride is fully aware, and obviously would have known in advance, you would feel insulted by such as remark, especially in your own home...by a stranger no less.

Now if you, God forbid, express any level of displeasure or even attempt to educate this, uhmmm...stranger, you'll be the one exhibiting "petty behavior, at best" over such an insignificant and trifling matter as being insulted in your own home by a stranger. Better to suffer insulting remarks in meek silence, "smile and be nice" so you can "score points with everyone" and avoid becoming a larger than life female personal irrigation device ?

I bet you're appreciative of such helpful adult suggestions ;)

Ragnar Danneskjold
September 20, 2010, 09:40 AM
sub-moa, do you think it is a good idea to risk his wife's grade to win an argument? Do you think he would be a good husband if he did this? Do you really think his wife should risk losing her study partner, or falling behind on assignments and test just so he can win some mind-battle with a stranger?

Sav .250
September 20, 2010, 10:10 AM
Win the battle ......lose the war. Your call.

easyg
September 20, 2010, 10:11 AM
Her friend, as she's walking out the door, just out of the blue said, "oh guns...they kill people."
You should tell her to get her facts straight...

Actually it's the bullets that strike the body, which damage and destroy organs, tissue, vessels, and bone, coupled with the inevitable blood loss and shock, that really kills people.
The gun doesn't even touch the target.

sub-moa
September 20, 2010, 10:24 AM
I don't know Ragnar..."do you think it is a good idea to risk his wife's grade to win an argument? Do you think he would be a good husband if he did this? Do you really think his wife should risk losing her study partner, or falling behind on assignments and test just so he can win some mind-battle with a stranger?"

Sound familiar?..."I'm not saying don't try to win her over..."

At no point did I suggest beating this stranger with a cleaning rod. Judging by 9mms OP in identifying her as a "lady" I doubt he's inclined to do so either.

At what point does one just quiver in fear of offending a stranger who flippantly insults you in your own home. Why not make an effort to "try to win her over" as you suggested earlier?

My post was directed at the suggestion that taking any course other than meekly sitting there makes one an @&%#$...

Perhaps my post was more nuanced than I'm normally capable of ;)

Ragnar Danneskjold
September 20, 2010, 10:48 AM
Who's quivering in fear? A good husband is one who takes stock of what matters. Physical reality>philosophical argument every single time. If there's a chance someone's real grade will suffer or real school work will not get done, or be of less quality, you absolutely shut your mouth over philosophical arguments. When it comes to real things affecting real people and having real consequences, you "bite the bullet" (no pun intended) and ignore the flippant insults. No verbal victory is worth real negative consequences on his wife's work.

Why not make an effort to "try to win her over" as you suggested earlier?
Well how about the fact that his wife pleaded him not to start something? Or are you the type who feels the husband should just ignore his wife wishes so he can fulfill some "man of the house" fantasy?

heron
September 20, 2010, 10:50 AM
Don't say a word.

This lady will be back to ask advice from you after her first mugging. Or maybe after her first visit to talk with inmates in prison.

ForumSurfer
September 20, 2010, 10:55 AM
Law school may change her point of view.

I dated a young woman once a long time ago that was working her way through law school. She had the noblest of intentions. She wanted to help people, particularly children. She want to work defending delinquent kids and try to help make a difference. Let's just say we were somewhat opposites, but we meshed well for whatever reason. She was very anti-gun and quite liberal.

Well she went to work with delinquent kids in a court system for the next county over. She spent the next year coming home from work every day crying. She dealt with kids that had horrible records from an early age and did very despicable deeds in some cases. The turning point for her was a 10 year old kid who tried to follow her to her car and attack her...after she had helped him with some school related matters. The kid had been charged at school with aggravated assault and battery as well as forcible sexual crimes. She managed to get into her car and lock the door and drive off, calling the police. Unfortunately, walking across the parking lot in a menacing manner while staring at someone is not a crime so she naturally felt very vulnerable.

We didn't work out as a couple, but by the time we had split up...she had shifted focus and wanted to become a prosecuting attorney. Her dream was to become a DA at that point. Her anti-gun sentiment had changed and she obtained her concealed handgun permit. She also carried my 1911 commander religiously after she learned to shoot. She put over 1000 rounds down range within a week, very determined to become proficient, familiar and accurate. After we split, I helped her buy a weapon of her own because some of those kids were pretty bad and they had been known to stalk, threaten or attack case workers or volunteers from time to time.

Just give your wife's friend the benefit of the doubt. Talk to her with respect and compassion. We don't win anyone over by harsh confrontations. Anti-gun people rarely change their opinon. They typically won't listen to your logic, so don't waste your breath unless she asks your opinon. When she does, state your case politely and respectfully without presenting confrontation (in a THR manner). Sooner or later if she's ready, she'll come around.

Sky
September 20, 2010, 11:30 AM
An article on someone who protected a loved one or themselves with the force of arms might be interjected at an appropriate moment in a written forum. " Honey have you seen this"?

The "don't approach the subject" works. Hard to get a door knob to be anything but a door knob without a bunch of rework time. Prolly not worth your time but a good accomplishment if you succeed.

ZCORR Jay
September 20, 2010, 11:41 AM
I would most likely leave this one alone. Just imagine if you make the lady mad which in turn could result in making your wife mad. I once herd a older man say "A happy wife means a happy life"

sub-moa
September 20, 2010, 03:08 PM
Ragnar:
You know, I chose not to respond in kind regarding your accusatory little interrogation directed at my first post, instead I jokingly referring to imaginary nuances in the post that might have escaped you. My neutral response was to quote your questions to me as well as your previously posted "I'm not saying don't try to win her over..." opinion found in your initial advice to the OP to highlight the direct contradiction.

Based upon your latest, apparently you've now changed your mind regarding attempts to "win her over", and instead prefer the; OMG don't say anything route when you opine "you absolutely shut your mouth" for fear of taking the slightest chance that a study partner mighty possibly be offended over an opinion that differs from her opinion, volunteered originally via insulting comment.

Then, you add my quote of your previously expressed opinion...it's acceptable to "try to win her over"...in an apparent attempt to tie that in with the wife's not wanting the OP to "start something" :scrutiny: ? You realize you wrote that "try to win her over" comment yourself...knowing the wife had requested he not "start something" right from the original post :scrutiny:. Rhetorical question 1) Your point? Rhetorical question 2) Are you arguing with yourself? I'll remind you, nowhere have I suggested deliberately instigating an argument with this "lady". Finally you sink to plain old insults; “Or are you the type who feels the husband should just ignore his wife wishes so he can fulfill some "man of the house" fantasy?” I’ll leave this little bit of wisdom with the suggestion you might want to avoid projecting your personal insecurities on others ;).

There are but 3 possibilities; you missed your Reading is Fundamental class, you're off your meds or you just want to argue. Well sport, I’m not inclined to assist you in any of those endeavors. Fortunately I’d imagine there’s a convenient Ignore Option somewhere here, feel free to use it, I am :D.

Ragnar Danneskjold
September 20, 2010, 04:08 PM
Well since you have me on ignore, you probably won't read this. But since you brought up Reading is Fundamental, I said "I'm not saying not to try to win her over". That is not the same as "Win her over." Frankly I'm just not one to tell people what to do. If the OP feels like fighting that battle, I (as some random guy on the interwebs) have no place telling him what to do. I did suggest that stressing the real-life things, like grades and homework, is probably a much better thing than worrying about trying to fight an RKBA battle with a stranger your wife specifically asked you not to do so with. I'm still not sure where you're getting the "fear" thing from. Sometimes thinking about your wife's needs first and letting the little things slide isn't "fear". It's just being laid-back.

writerinmo
September 20, 2010, 04:08 PM
I wouldn't advance the subject, but neither would I retreat from it. If she makes a comment on any of my "pro-gun' statements or apparral or my open carry, then everyone would admit that she opened the conversation. But I hate to say it, but any argument with an un-informed person is likely to degenerate quickly especially if you can present hard cold facts in regards to the misconception of 'gun control' saving lives.

I would leave her alone, perhaps show her the back of my head as I nod my head and say "yep... guns are dangerous... but there wouldn't be much point in carryin one if they weren't now would there?"

RimfireChris
September 20, 2010, 04:15 PM
My wife has a friend, not an anti mind you, but we pretty much hate each other. Just don't say anything, nothing's gonna change, and you'll do your blood pressure a world of good. While I agree, that's very rude behavior of a guest, it doesn't seem like there's much to be accomplished by making an issue of it.

Shadow 7D
September 20, 2010, 04:21 PM
At least you wife isn't going to be a nurse, then I would suggest you get a man cave and not come out.

I would talk to her about victimology, and why knowing and working with scumbags isn't the safest occupation.

Average Joe
September 20, 2010, 06:10 PM
Man, you could hit her with a million lawyer jokes, see how she likes that !

Arkansas Paul
September 20, 2010, 06:37 PM
The next time she says guns kill people just smile and say, "Yes ma'am. That's why I've got em."

hardworker
September 20, 2010, 06:39 PM
You're being awfully hard on this woman for a single sentence. I'd be willing to bet she has forgotten about the incident by now. Probably within 2 minutes of leaving the house.

robmkivseries70
September 20, 2010, 06:57 PM
I have to go with the quote, about your guns being defective as they (I hope) haven't killed any body.:neener: Don't know who gets the credit but it's a good quote.
Best,
Rob

hardworker
September 20, 2010, 07:05 PM
I think the whole "guns aren't meant for killing" argument is crap. I can say this as a gun owner and supporter. They are meant to kill and they're good at it. Wouldn't be much use if they weren't.

9mmforMe
September 20, 2010, 08:10 PM
Hey Hardworker,

I don't think this lady intended to insult me but her comment was definitely borne out of ignorance and rude, IMHO. We all know that guns are made for killing, but she seemed to indicate that they are evil in themselves and removed human responsibility from the act of "killing." I will suffer this foolish perspective for my wife and also for the fact that I honestly don't think I will change her mind with any type of reasoning.

You know you might very well be right as well...the comment she made might have left her mind immediately after uttering and she hasn't given it thought one since saying it.

Black Knight
September 20, 2010, 09:05 PM
She is learning very well. Lawyers always try to remove human responsibility. They try to make everyone else responsible but their client. The big problem is that some jurors fall for their malarky and let these BGs out on the street so they can continue their ways unabated.

4D5
September 20, 2010, 11:36 PM
Well I'd suck it up until... grades are posted.

Then have the wife invite her over for dinner celebration. As others mentioned, invite her to the range during/after dinner. If she refuses then you can take the alternative approach and say...

Well in lawyer terms they say ignorance of the law is no excuse. That also applies to reason, common sense, and rational thought as well, and oh by the way have a nice life.

JTHunter
September 21, 2010, 12:38 AM
9mm - skwab seemed to have the best idea in Post #11.
She's your wife's study partner - personally I'd leave it alone unless she brings it up again. If she does, then I would take that opportunity to try to educate her, and then offer to take her to the range - if she's going to be a lawyer, she should learn how to protect herself - approach her with that emphasis. Otherwise, you might be picking a no-win fight with a close minded anti that will get you nothing but a ticked off spouse!

The listing of other things that kill people (and usually in higher percentages - like Drs.) would be a good thing to point out to her. If you can find those numbers somewhere, PRINT IT with the web addy for her to review. It's all about the "evidence". :D

TheAmplifiedsoul
September 21, 2010, 01:08 AM
I'd keep it quiet unles she brings it up again. If she said, "Guns kill people" again I'd just use the old "Spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat" comment, but with a smile to keep it friendly. If she escalates it further I would politely smile and hold my tongue after that. Maybe just telling her that she has her beliefs and you have yours. No need to go further. Not with your wife's study partner. Getting in a discussion with someone over that would just take away valuable study time.

bullseye308
September 21, 2010, 01:55 AM
As this lady was leaving my wife saw that I was on the computer and mentioned that I spend a good amount of time on THR...nothing else...just a simple statement. Her friend, as she's walking out the door, just out of the blue said, "oh guns...they kill people."

You all missed the most important & perplexing part. How did she know that THR was gun related? Could it be that THR is that famous?

Oldfalguy
September 21, 2010, 02:08 AM
I met many like this in law school and at its root is ignorance-
They do not know any different- but they can learn a different view-
They have to have this ability or they are toast in the profession.
A closed mind in law as in life will get you bushwhacked...quick

Invite her out along with the spouse-
let her shoot 22's and when she stops flinching had her something bigger-
No magnums this go around- sneak up on her- reactive targets better.

MovedWest
September 21, 2010, 02:34 AM
The guns that citizens carry and use are the same guns that peace officers carry. Police officers are not obliged to provide you SAFETY, yet every one of them carries one. It's not to protect YOU, it's to protect THEM.

You are given the RIGHT (not privilege) to bear arms by the second amendment. Ask this person to tell you WHY the 2nd amendment to the US Constitution has this incorporated, and why it's so important as to be the 2nd right. If they tell you the laws are antiquated, tell them their first amendment rights are, too - and to SHUT UP.

Don't take it. If you compromise your rights, you compromise your freedom.

-MW

lloveless
September 21, 2010, 02:44 AM
Bullseye 308 ya beat me to it. Maybe she was just pulling your leg-lawyers do that.

Shadow 7D said "At least you wife isn't going to be a nurse, then I would suggest you get a man cave and not come out." How is the wife being a nurse relevant?
ll

Fishslayer
September 21, 2010, 03:37 AM
Maybe I should invite her to the range?

Dunno. Is she hot?:evil:

9mmforMe
September 21, 2010, 09:14 AM
Well, I don't think she's "hot" but I'm married so I really can't comment on that.
:what:

I don't think she was kidding/pulling my leg with her comment. My wife, who is a very devout Christian, said that when they were talking about religion she seemed to get upset and became very argumentative, and this was just a "get to know you" conversation when they first became study partners.

griff383
September 21, 2010, 09:35 AM
A little education never hurt anyone, that way you know its your pencil that spelled that word wrong and not you. If it wasnt your wife, or another close friend ect. I bet you would have addressed that comment before she could have closed her mouth, but you have to respect your wife and her school related activities.

I am lucky that my wife grew up in the sticks and understands that guns are tools of many trades and hobbies. The only thing I have to convince her of is to let me get a bigger safe, then I can convince her that it is like my humidor in that it has to be full so the guns dont get lonley and go bad like the cigars do if there are not enough to hold the right environment.

Best advice I can give is to get some American Rifleman and similar magazines to lay in obvious spots along with a book that will catch her eye. I have one that is called "The Politically Incorrect Guide to Hunting" It sits on my coffee table along with the American Rifleman mags, which is next to a book version of the constitution, which is on top of a book titled "Honor our Flag". If she makes a comment about it, sit her down and have story time with the section "The Armed Citizen" out of the magazine. After reading some of those stories she may beg you to take her to the range.

Broken Anvil
September 21, 2010, 12:47 PM
Go to Youtube and search Anthony Bourdaine - Ted Nuget....I love it when a bleeding heart liberal runs 100 rounds through a M60 and can't stop grinning. Take her to the range with a Ruger 10/22 and a brick of ammo and just keep loading for her.

ForumSurfer
September 21, 2010, 12:54 PM
Take her to the range with a Ruger 10/22 and a brick of ammo and just keep loading for her.

Excellent idea, but the opportunity to do that sort of hands on thing can be a rarity. The person has to want to go, but offering never hurt anyone. I for one can stomach a little chastising or negativity if it means I can convert or convince someone along the way.

The bulk pack 22 got my girlfriend hook, and handing her a few ar mags and setting up cans and skeet all over my home range sealed the deal. She particularly loves the skeet and they are super cheap this time of year. My father has 7,000,000 wire coat hangers from getting uniforms cleaned. When you bend sections of those, they hang skeet nicely and you just push them into the berm.

rodensouth
September 21, 2010, 01:16 PM
Reality check, STUDY PARTNER, will be very unlikely to affect the wife's grade. Professor yes, but not this lady.

There are many levels of response to be chosen from, so a polite discourse would be in order in my house.

Red Cent
September 21, 2010, 01:24 PM
Life is too short to argue with stupid people and drink cheap booze.

A and O
September 21, 2010, 01:26 PM
Ignore the ignorant. Cast not your Pearls before the swine.

rocky branch
September 21, 2010, 02:03 PM
Leave it alone.
Your wife's education is an issue here.

Unbelieveable some of the suggestions ignoring the basic here.

Not your job to educate anybody.

A mark of maturity is knowing what fights are worth taking on.

blakeci
September 21, 2010, 04:31 PM
What ever happened to friendly and educated debate? To those who say to leave it alone, umm... this woman hopes to be an attorney. She should be able to engage in a logical and calm debate of the facts. I am not saying he should be argumentative and angry, that would be detrimental to his wife's study atmosphere. But what is wrong with a cool, calm, level headed debate of the facts?
If this woman can't handle that, how the hell is she going to be able to argue cases in front of a jury? "Your Honor, my client is innocent because I read it on an anti justice system website..." It would be great practice for her, afterall, if she believes she is right, she should be able to back it up with evidence and a well thought out defense.

blakeci
September 21, 2010, 04:35 PM
We have lost many of our rights due to people not wanting to get involved and speak up. "oh, don't make waves and upset anyone, don't correct misinformation and myths. Just let people pass laws and restrictions based on information they picked up from movies or activists." If we as a country had always been like that, we'd still be singing "God Save the Queen"

Dokkalfar
September 21, 2010, 04:39 PM
Yep. There's no point in going looking for a fight, but don't avoid one either!

I'd suggest, like some, to make the presence of firearms visible (cleaning, hanging over the mantle, rounds/mag on the counter, etc) and then when she mentions it, educate her!

msb45
September 21, 2010, 11:33 PM
It's a matter of time. Once she is out of law school she'll be a lawyer.

LAWYERS DEFEND KILLLERS! KILLERS WITH GUNS!

Let her wrap her mind around that.

Apuuli
September 22, 2010, 01:00 AM
I wouldn't bring it up, mostly out of respect for the wife. However, as the study partner clearly has no compunctions about shooting her mouth off and offending people about their religion or interests, she'll bring it up. When she does you might want to be cool and rational and avoid emotionally charged hyberbole (such as saying you were raped by her rudeness).

hardworker
September 22, 2010, 08:43 AM
"has no compunctions about shooting her mouth off and offending people about their religion or interests, she'll bring it up. "

You managed to ascertain all that from four words she uttered while leaving? It could have something to do with the fact that she's a woman. Women I know don't like guns either. But that's because they're loud and kill stuff. They're really apathetic towards the whole gun issue itself. I don't call them out on it because it makes me look like an ass.

sub-moa
September 22, 2010, 12:33 PM
"You managed to ascertain all that from four words she uttered while leaving?"

:rolleyes: Pay attention, there might be a test ;)

Actually, it would appear Apuuli included OPs Post #54 to ascertain, quoting the OP: "the study partner clearly has no compunctions about shooting her mouth off and offending people about their religion or interests"

Think you might owe Apuuli an: Oh, I beg your pardon :o?

Dr T
September 22, 2010, 01:05 PM
I think that spending quality time with your 4-year old daughter and ignoring your wife's STUDY PARTNER is an excellent choice. Just don't take her to see "Bambi"!;-) When around the study partner, only discuss firearms if directly questioned. She will likely have no questions since she may already know everything about everything (guns, politics, religion, science, etc.), and it has been my experience that such individuals are unteachable until they have had an epiphany.

Help your wife through this trial: She has it much worse than you do.

Note on study partners: In some things, the study partner can make or break your grade. For example, when I did my MBA, we had a group of 4 for a term project. The rule was, that the members of the the study group would assess each others performance. One individual felt that they would provide a significantly smaller effort than the others. After the project, we (the major participants), reported that the slacker only provided an 80% effort. We (three workers) each got a 95%, the slacker only got 80% of that (76%). The project was 80% of the grade. Since a C was tantamount to an F in undergraduate school, this individual was not very happy.

Taniwha
September 22, 2010, 01:42 PM
Next time she comes over you might like to show her this site.
http://www.assaultweaponwatch.com/
It's well funny

If you enjoyed reading about "Stupid!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!