SKS accuracy

PDA

TRGFTJob
September 19, 2010, 11:52 PM
Ive noticed that almost every report of sks accuracy makes them out to be very inaccurate weapons that arent capable of shooting groups smaller than a dinner plate at 100 yards. My brother and my dad both own a norinco sks, my dads bought unfired in 1989, and my brothers bought used a year ago, both guns are capable of shooting 3 inch groups at 100 yards with stock iron sights (if necessary i can go to the local rod and gun club and take vids/pic) and i personally own a piece of junk yugo sks bought used from an uncle (who said "it just wont hit targets any more") that shoots six inch groups (and i believe they are only that bad because of the piece of crap aftermarket stock he put on it a few months before selling it to me for 125 dollars) with stock iron sights. My question would be, were we just lucky in acquiring two accurate, and one semi accurate sks, or or these guns really more accurate than people give them credit for?

If you enjoyed reading about "SKS accuracy" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
TRGFTJob
September 19, 2010, 11:58 PM
i also believe that with a decent scope rail/mount or tech sights at least the two norincos groups could be tightened up quite a bit

chicharrones
September 20, 2010, 12:04 AM
With iron sights, steel cased Russian/Soviet ammo, and my old eyes, my commercial issue Norinco (bought new in '93) gives me 4-6" groups at 100 yards.

I've tried to make it better by installing a Mojo peep sight and doing a slight trigger job with lighter spring, but my SKS still gives about the same group size. I get more satisfaction shooting my SKS at plinking targets than shooting paper since I have more accurate rifles that shoot paper better.

All that said, I'm not that great of a shot. :p

lions
September 20, 2010, 12:11 AM
Here is a 10 shot, 100 yard group from my old Yugo SKS. I don't have the exact measurement but those are 1" squares so its just about 3". Take that one hole on the right out and it is closer to 2" but that's the way it goes I guess.

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll35/grantlyons/sks100ydgroup.jpg

TRGFTJob
September 20, 2010, 12:12 AM
we actually use ours at the yearly turkey shoots, and usually bring home first place hams, using the sandbags and actual gun rests provided at the turkey shoots we can reliably put at least every other shot into the 1 inch bullseye at one hundred yards..... but alas, most people seem to report vastly different results

TRGFTJob
September 20, 2010, 12:13 AM
its good to see that at least a few other people get sub dinner plate groups :D

briansmithwins
September 20, 2010, 12:29 AM
The best group on the best day with my Norinco SKS was 2MOA. Generally it runs 3MOA.

BSW

BHP FAN
September 20, 2010, 03:36 AM
Norinco SKS's and Russian or Yugo, are whole different animals.

TRGFTJob
September 20, 2010, 04:15 AM
ive always thought so too, the ones ive had experience with jam less, operate smoother, and shoot better, but ive heard almost as many similar complaints about norincos, so i figured maybe ours were just lucky ones of the batch

Ignition Override
September 20, 2010, 04:21 AM
Have you gentlemen seen what "hickok45" does with his generic AK from 100(+) yards on Youtube?
He is standing, using only his arms. Why not with an SKS?

You might be a bit surprised by his other gun skills.

BHP FAN
September 20, 2010, 08:10 AM
I've had a coupla three or four Norincos over the years, and the are rugged, and minute of bad guy accurate, but when I got my 1954 Russian, my opinion of the SKS definately went up a few notches!

foghornl
September 20, 2010, 08:16 AM
Two things reduce the SKS high accuracy potential....Short sighting radius/crude Military sights, and the other is (on some models, particularly the Yugo 59/66) HEAVY trigger pull.

stubbicatt
September 20, 2010, 08:31 AM
I think that alot of it has to do with the shooter more so than the rifle.

I think some shooters shoot different rifles better than they do other rifles, for whatever reason.

Sometimes you meet someone who can take a really mediocre rifle and obtain outstanding accuracy with it. I have an acquaintance who is like that. His mini14 is ancient, and probably shot out by now, but he still pots prairie dogs from his hind legs at great distances with that thing.

Now this fella went and bought one of those Chinese SKS several years back and off his hind legs with that chinese steel bullet ammo was chipping away at a rock maybe a little bigger than someone's head in a dry riverbed at 300 - 400 yards with that thing, again off his hind legs.

I don't know how he does it, but seeing it is believing it. A real quiet man, with an easy laugh, and boy can he shoot.

Now me with an SKS seems to offer proof to the standard wisdom about these rifles. Personally, I think it is more myself who is mediocre rather than the rifle. LOL ;)

Grey Morel
September 20, 2010, 09:00 AM
For people who can shoot these types of rifles, 3 inches @ 100 yards is about the norm for quality AKs and the SKS.

This does not apply to 90% of the shooting public, who THINK they are good shots, but have never actually had any training beyond plinking with uncle bob.

I hate to pick on the military guys, i've got family in the armed services, but this applies to you as well. I've just met WAY too many guys who have never touched a rifle outside of their m16 in Basic Training; they can shoot well with an AR15 or similar gun, but if you give them any other kind of rifle all bets are off, and they have far too much trouble connecting with the target.

Simple fact is that most shooters have NO idea how to approach an AK47 from an accuracy standpoint, despite their own minds to the contrary.

jem375
September 20, 2010, 10:51 AM
we actually use ours at the yearly turkey shoots, and usually bring home first place hams, using the sandbags and actual gun rests provided at the turkey shoots we can reliably put at least every other shot into the 1 inch bullseye at one hundred yards..... but alas, most people seem to report vastly different results
I think we have a internet shooter here....lol

oldbanjo
September 20, 2010, 11:16 AM
My brother came over to the house with a SKS that he couldn't hit with an asked me to sight it in for him. I shot it and was amazed at how accurate it was. I refused to touch it. About a week later a friend asked me to go hunting with him on his property and to go with him to a gun show that same day. I called my brother an asked had anyone touched that gun, and said if not I wanted it. He said OK, while at the gun show I bought a folding stock for $41 then went to his house and bought the gun and shells for $90. In the next week or so I killed two deer with that gun. That's one gun that I'll never sell. It's hell on turtles.

Texasgunlover
September 20, 2010, 11:54 AM
I have 2 chi-com sks's and I must say that i'd have no problem dropping a man size target at at least 100 yds.
When I shoot for accuracy,I have no problem shooting from a rest[a tree] getting a group about 3 to 4 inches.
Not bad for a surplus rifle.I have found that if you swap the stocks,you can wrring out better groups.Try to swap stocks and see if it makes a differance.I certainly did

TRGFTJob
September 20, 2010, 02:24 PM
well based on the general responses i have gotten here, and the responses ive gotten to several other posts..... i think im just going to start ignoring things that go against my personal experience, thanks for the feed back guys

mac266
September 20, 2010, 07:06 PM
The best I ever did was 3" at 100 yards, and that was with a 4X scope. I'm not impressed with that at all. I shot a 1" group at 100 yards with a Mauser 98 (NOT sporterized) with iron sights, and the Mauser was decades older.

Since then I sold all my military rifles, but bought a "special grade" (new barrel, rebuilt gun) M1 Garand from CMP. The M1 shoots VERY nice, but I'm still working up a load for it.

12guagecody
September 20, 2010, 07:20 PM
i've never put mine on paper but my norinco is really nice for hitting clay targets at 100 yards. i'm sure i could get good groups but it's more of a fun gun for me

ifit
September 20, 2010, 08:24 PM
only shot 50 yards with my sino-soviet, as stated above with a longer sight radius i think i can do better

10shots
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y211/kadiindo/1014.jpg

Al Thompson
September 20, 2010, 08:37 PM
Ammo plays a big part here. I used my SKS for deer and was surprised at how much tighter the Winchester commercial ammo shot. I also have Tech-Sights on mine..

oldbanjo
September 20, 2010, 09:44 PM
If I remember right the best SKS's had full lug barrels. Also changing stocks can improve accuracy. Gun oil can ruin a wooden stock.

JTH
September 21, 2010, 05:57 AM
If you practice with your SKS you can learn to shoot quite accuratley. Practice!!! The SKS isn't a sniper rifle. As far as optics either none or a Tech Red Dot. I know I wouldn't want to take round from one.
JT

Bluehawk
September 21, 2010, 07:03 AM
ifit...I'm curious as to how your SKS can be a Sino-Soviet model since it has a cruciform bayonet?

MTMilitiaman
September 21, 2010, 10:25 AM
My grandpa has a Chinese SKS in its original configuration that will do 3 to 4 inches off the bench with the cheapest, cruddiest steel cased crap you can fit in the magazine. My bro's Norinco carbine is about the same.

My Yugo with Tech Sights will put 5 rounds into or around 2 MOA from a bench all day long. And that is with old Wolf black box. I had a late model Russian once upon a time that would do the same.

People say the same thing about AKs too. I find them to be full of crap on that to at least the same extent. I have a decent amount of experience on three different AKs from two different countries and all of them group 3 to 5 MOA as well.

In my experience, the SKS is a solid 2 to 4 MOA rifle. I suppose there are probably more 4 MOA SKSs out there than 2 MOA SKSs, but I've seen several of the rifles do ~2 MOA consistently with ammo a lot of Wonder Rifles would gag on, and even 4 MOA is perfectly adequate for the rifle's intended use. Heck, while most shoot a good deal better, our military only holds the M16 to 4 MOA. And while I would say the SKS has a slight accuracy advantage over the AK, in my experience, it isn't much. I'd still call the AK a 3 to 5 MOA rifle.

nathan
September 21, 2010, 04:13 PM
Yes, my Yugo M 59/66 is a 2 inch grper at 100 yds on sandbag rest. The last time i used surplus Yugo FMJs , corrosive, brasscased and excellent ammo from centerfiresystems.

Average Joe
September 21, 2010, 06:07 PM
All my SKS rifles get about 5-6 inch at 100 yards. considering I can barley see the bulls eyes at 100 yards with iron sights, that's pretty good for me...

ifit
September 21, 2010, 07:44 PM
bluehawk, bought it with a spike bayo. but the stock mounting ferrule has "V" cut shape for blade type, which is only one indication that mine points to a sino, through my research russian receivers were purchased by the chinese and which were already numbered. These are usually, but not always, four digit preceded by a Cyrillic letter, from the book The SKS Carbine by Steve Kehaya and Joe poyer. my serial number sarts with "M" then a 4 digit number

HankC
September 21, 2010, 08:57 PM
Norince has many SKS plants and quite a variation on chamber dimensions (headspace) that affect accuracy.

bwhite421
January 8, 2011, 01:01 AM
I have a question for those using the techsights...

Are you using the smaller, target front sight post that techsights sells? I bought the smaller front sight post, and installed it tonight. I haven't gotten to shoot it yet, but it sights WAY nicer, and that is with the stock rear sights.

I plan on getting the rear sight soon, but was just wondering if anyone knew how much of a difference there was between using the techsights with the regular front sight post, and the smaller one they sell on their site.

I think I read that the stock front post is 6MOA and the smaller one is 2MOA, but I can't remember where I read it, or if that was it for sure :p

brandon_mcg
January 8, 2011, 01:04 AM
i can usually hit a 7 inch circle from 50 yards shooting free hand at least 9 out of 10 shots with my cheap bsa red dot sight. really fun gun to shoot and considering that ammo is only 5-6 bucks for 20 rounds it is fairly cheap to shoot as well.

Justin
January 8, 2011, 01:08 AM
Minute of IPSC target at 200 yards.

dacavasi
January 8, 2011, 01:13 AM
I have a couple Yugo SKS rifles. One is straight surplus, the other is with a personally-retrofitted Tapco Fusion stock and "FM" 2-6x scope. Both will easily shoot 3" groups at 100 yds. Given that fact, I often find myself wondering why I invested in the aftermarket furniture and cheap Chinese scope for one of them. Especially considering that almost every 4-5 rounds through the modified gun, something invariably flies off of the scope...

FlyinBryan
January 8, 2011, 01:27 AM
our short little chinese norinco is 6-8@100 on a good day

Ignition Override
January 8, 2011, 02:12 AM
If you are fortunate enough to live where people can shoot into a river or creek, splitting a small, rotten, floating branch at 60-80 feet is the objective.

Today we knocked large juice jugs and branch fragments about 40 feet straight up with my Norinco SKS, or sank struggling jugs (sand as ballast),from about 100 feet.
The SKS has decent accuracy if We are up to it. Maybe a Tech Sight is worth considering.

nathan
January 8, 2011, 10:58 AM
2 -3 inches is about the norm for all SKSs in decent shape with excellent barrels . Of course , the shooter should do their part on a steady gun rest to achieve it. On some very good days, one can get less 2 MOAs and thats really exceptional shooting.

aka108
January 8, 2011, 11:04 AM
Not nearly as accurate as a bolt rifle but lmore accurate the the AK types. 5-6 in groups at 100 yds. Never was meant to be a target rifle.

nathan
January 8, 2011, 11:36 AM
It has seem extensive combat together with the AK in humid jungles of Nam. And my first glimpse of it was back when i was only 8 yrs old in the 70s when watching Green Beret the movie.

We never thought we will be able to own such weapons 25 yrs after this movie was made.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsBSqrU-vz8

mljdeckard
January 8, 2011, 11:52 AM
Yes, I use the smaller post. It is MUCH better than the stock post.

WNTFW
January 8, 2011, 12:00 PM
http://www.surplusrifle.com/
http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/

Some of you might find the links above of interest if you are't already going there. Poke around for the SKS articles or whatever else you are into.

R.W.Dale
January 8, 2011, 12:27 PM
It's my experience that Chinese SKS quality and design can vary greatly from one model to the next.

You can take a norinco "paratrooper" like I had with a pinned barrel and crooked chamber and be lucky to hit a paper plate without dropping shots even with a receiver mounted scope

Yet my other Norinco with a threaded bbl and a tech sight could do 2" on a good day with the same ammo.

So in short it just depends.

Tapatalk post via IPhone.

Ohio Gun Guy
January 8, 2011, 12:42 PM
I get decent groups with my Norinco SKS. Its the pinned barrel, but I get 3" +/- groups out of it. That's using surplus Wolf, Golden Tiger, Bear, Old Chinese, Yugo, etc......what everelse I scrape up.

JTH
January 8, 2011, 01:12 PM
My Norinco SKS was purchased NIB back around 1993 for $125. At the time I thought it was expensive but it was one of my first purchases of Chi-Com weapons. Once I started making decent money after 1995, I started buying the inexpensive ammo and weapons, back then ammo was around 10-13
cents a round but it was the good non corrosive ammo. I still have approx 1500 rounds of this and 1000 rounds of decent non corrosive 9mm ball ammo for my Tokerev and my fugly Hi-point 9mm carbine.
The SKS does what it was built for, it's far from the accuracy of a bolt action rifle. The SKS was never really meant for optics and it's a fairly heavy rifle. If you have something to steady your shot, it's quite accurate at 75-100 yards. I'll never part with it. It's a good deer hunting rifle if things ever deteriorate, that I need to hunt for food.
Since the purchase of the SKS, I have enough weapons for various functions and ammo to start a small war. My next purchase will probably be a fairly high
quality/high capacity 9mm or 45 pistol(Sig, Glock maybe a Stoeger pistol) and a Draco AK Pistol (I'll purchase a front hand stock with a grip for a quick swap out of things ever really get bad, so it will be easier to handle. At that point the 922 laws will be out the window)!

[B]1 Norinco SKS, 1 Norinco MAK 90, 1 Norinco 9mm Tokerev pistol, 1 Remington 870 12 ga. Police Issue, Vintage Winchester Model 72, .22 Bolt action rifle, 1 9mm Hi Point Carbine.JT

nathan
January 8, 2011, 01:20 PM
Im sure each and every one here have enough guns to start a war, hahhaha.
Its like candy collection that never ends .

LKB3rd
January 8, 2011, 02:40 PM
On my SKS, I think the heavy creepy bad trigger is its main problem for accuracy. Even with that, while I won't be winning any matches with it, it shoots fine. There is a guy who will work the stock trigger group too, which I may have done at some point.

bwhite421
January 8, 2011, 06:12 PM
Thanks mljdeckard. I can't wait to try mine out!

Redneck with a 40
January 8, 2011, 08:56 PM
With wolf 122 grain FMJ, my Yugo SKS is a consistent 4-5" shooter at 100 yards. I didn't buy it for the accuracy, its a shtf rifle, range blaster. Its a very fun gun to shoot.

nathan
January 8, 2011, 09:07 PM
Suffice to say, the SKS can easily make a hit on a man sized target at 100-150 yd distance.

roscoe
January 8, 2011, 09:21 PM
Just to stir the pot - from my understanding it has about the accuracy that a standard issued Garand had. Mine (Norinco) is a 3" rifle at 100 yards with the TechSights, and I can hit the 300 yard steel plates at Usery Pass no problem. In some ways, it is a better weapon than the Garand - lighter, less recoil, lighter ammo, and equivalent accuracy. The main difference is range, which may or may not make a difference depending on the conditions. Just to stir the pot, you understand.

Ohio Gun Guy
January 8, 2011, 09:24 PM
To un-stir the pot...:neener:.... All of the Garands I have been around shoot a lot better than sks's. They are on a whole different level of accuracy than the com-block stuff. The ammo is typically better too (That's good for 1").

mljdeckard
January 9, 2011, 12:53 AM
For the front sight post, I thought, what the heck, it's like, a buck. Not often you get an upgrade that good for a buck.

Kilgor
March 8, 2011, 04:17 PM
Chucking the front sight post in a drill and narrowing it down on a metal file is so easy that it makes spending the $5 +$2 shipping seem ridiculous.

LKB3rd
March 8, 2011, 04:21 PM
..... i think im just going to start ignoring things that go against my personal experience, thanks for the feed back guys

That's a good policy on most things.

jeepguy
March 8, 2011, 08:06 PM
i have always wondered what kind of accuracy these got. does anyone know what kind of accuracy the sks that take the ak mags get? i think they also have shorter barrels.

X - Man
March 9, 2011, 04:39 PM
The Chinese SKS I have shoots at 3 MOA @ 100 yards, using Wolf 123gr hollow point rounds. I think that's good for this rifle. It used to shoot really wide.

One common problem with the Chinese SKS is the loose, as in very loose, stock/receiver fit. It really needs to be bedded. It's not the easiest stock I've ever bedded.

Also did a trigger rework. And this trigger group is not recommended as one's first trigger job.

Added a barrel strut to the barrel. It has also helped.

So, there are improvements that can help the accuracy of the SKS.

skyhorse
April 27, 2011, 02:42 PM
I have a 54' Russian Tula ready for pick up. I have a Murray's pin and set of Williams fire sights in the gun closet waiting for the new arrival.

Depending on the trigger pull I may ask Ben Murray to take a look at it.

I hear at the local range, the winners of the high power rifle competitions are allways the same. Some good ol' boys with pre-ban AR's who have sunk small fortunes in working them over.

I am a fan of heavy rifles and open sights. I'm thinking it just may be possible to make a silk purse from a sow's ear. I think it would be a kick to win a local match with this relitively inexpensive SKS.:D

Can anyone tell me what ammo works best for them and add any suggestions to make this old rifle accurate as can be?

BRad704
April 27, 2011, 02:49 PM
3moa is about as "accurate" as you can realistically hope for. Mine isnt quite that good, but at 100yds, its within Minute-of-vitals.

If you are gonna scope it at all, get the Choate reciever side-mount. You might as well send the trigger off before you even shoot it. I have polished all i can on mine without mailing it off to Murray's, and I still shoot with my middle finger, just for the extra strength.

jiminhobesound
April 27, 2011, 03:17 PM
When i bought my SKS I followed simple guidelines. Get a Russian SKS and do not change out the stock or add things to it. It shoots about three inch groups at one hundred yards. Someone made a good point about the fit of guns. I had a Citori I just could not shoot well. My gunclub friends loved it. I could never shoot a pre 64 Model 70 well and I have no idea why.

Frogomatik
April 27, 2011, 03:49 PM
I've got a '51 Tula that has taken a great many whitetails. Odd thing about my SKS is that if I run premium ammo (read: winchester, remington, hornady, whatever) through it, I can't hit a barn door from inside the barn. But run some crappy wolf 154grn SP's in it, and the thing shoots a 2.5" group @ 100. Still haven't figured that one out. :confused:

skyhorse
April 27, 2011, 08:17 PM
This is great...Locally I have a buddy who is going to recon some data from the range to see where we need to be.

BRad- No scope at this meet, just irons, that's why I purchased the Williams Firesights. I'll need to clean my eyglasses for this one..

Jeff, Thanks for the information and the Link. Are you happy with Tom's trigger? Can you tell me what he did for you and the results?

Ben's name comes up just about anytime I have a SKS discussion.

Ben does indeed do trigger work. We are discussing a Hammer,Sear and Trigger including complete tuning. He also want's me to take a good look at the crown. Nice and knowlegable gentleman. www.MurraysGuns.com for those who are wondering.

Frogo- Now that's interesting. Just reverse of my other milsurps. Mabie it's a communist trait? It needs to work hard and be fed cheaply? :rolleyes:

The Wolf 154 is working the best so far? Steel or brass case?
Anyone shoot the Silver Bear ammo? Other ammo results?

goon
April 28, 2011, 03:59 PM
One time I was shooting this old Norinco SKS my brother had at a steel silouhette range. The guy next to me was shooting a FAL and challenged me to an informal contest on the steel pigs at 300 yards. He didn't hit any. I knocked three in a row down, then stopped while I was ahead.

Personally, I like the SKS better than the AK. I can actually hit stuff with an SKS, whereas with an AK, not so much. They're not match accurate, but they're "accurate enough."

BRad704
April 28, 2011, 06:09 PM
Good call Jeff... My bad...
Murray's claim to fame is more about the firing pin AFAIK isn't it? It's Kivaari that is known for doing a great job on trigger fixes.

nathan
April 30, 2011, 09:56 AM
AK and SKSs excel in as close range weapon. A paper plate is 9 inches across. If you can hit that well at 100 yds you are doing quite good. A human torso is around 12 inchese side to siide on average.

Beak50
April 30, 2011, 10:46 AM
I had a chinese paratrooper sks "just smaller than a normal one with a norinco 3x9 and I would get different results from wolf ammo some close some not so tight If you really want tight groups reload but with all the ammo in the world for it out there you should be able to find something and stick with it.

35 Whelen
April 30, 2011, 10:54 AM
You're not alone. 100 yd. results with Wolf ammo:

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h6/308Scout/Targets/YugoSKSWolfAmmoGroups2Red.jpg

35W

Kiln
April 30, 2011, 09:06 PM
Alot of people complain about accuracy from the Norinco version of the SKS. Mine's always been pretty damn good, not sure on the specifics but I'm comfortable with it out to around 75 yards or so. I'm sure there are some others that can hit targets well at 100 yards all day but I'm not one of them.

skyhorse
May 2, 2011, 01:12 PM
Well I picked up my SKS over the weekend and gave it a good cleaning.

My wife and I have not been able to take it to the range yet, but we are looking forward to it.

On a dry fire, the trigger travel is more like the Friday evening commute. It has a black bolt, an artic stock and the numbers match minus the magazine.

I have some inexpensive Yugo Mil-Surp. ammo to start things off. When I can, I'll pick up a few boxes of some others to see how it works.

Frogomatik
May 2, 2011, 03:27 PM
Frogo- Now that's interesting. Just reverse of my other milsurps. Mabie it's a communist trait? It needs to work hard and be fed cheaply?

The Wolf 154 is working the best so far? Steel or brass case?
Anyone shoot the Silver Bear ammo? Other ammo results?

I know, makes no sense right? I handload for all my guns except the SKS cause After 2 years of trying I couldn't get a handload that was as accurate as the Wolf ammo so i said to hell with it.

yeah, the wolf 154 gives me the best performance, and it's steel cased. I'm a gunsmith, and have been through that gun from stem to stern and cannot for the life of me figure out why it acts like it does. I tried the .308 bullets, .311 bullets, and .312 bullets with hundreds of combinations of powder type and quantity, and still the Wolf ALWAYS shot better. That 'work hard, and feed cheaply' comment just might be right on the money.

skyhorse
May 4, 2011, 10:01 PM
Thanks Gents.

I have a grab bag of ammo comming,including some wolf.
The sight came in the mail as well as the adjustment tool.

Thanks for the information and I'll report back with some results as soon as I can get to the range!

BeJaRa
May 5, 2011, 02:20 PM
I have a Norinco SKS that shoots about 4" with the wolf or surplus chi-com ammo, but once I started reloading using Hornady 123gr FMJ the groups shrunk to a consistent 2". The rifle is bone stock except I removed the bayonet. Ammo makes a huge difference in my norinco. The trigger is stiff, but it has no creep in it at all.

skyhorse
May 5, 2011, 04:12 PM
I went to take my bayonet off to put it in the gun case and found that the back of the screw had ben peened. Now to remove it I will need to drill it out and find a replacement screw. Anyone else find this on theirs? I would assume Brownells may have the screw.

Also I have been looking at the Williams sight. The front apereture looks too large for me and my target shooting abilities. I'll give them a call and see what they can do.

skyhorse
May 17, 2011, 02:56 PM
Well, I made it to the range. Mrs. Skyhorse was coming down with a cold and it was a
windy cold day so she did not have allot of patience. I did manage to get her scope set on
her Mini-14. Here is another rifle that get badmouthed. Hers is right there.

I set the SKS in my cheapie rest and took a few shots with the Yugo milsurp ammo. The
pattern is about 4” to the left and low. I adjusted the front sight for elevation and it is right
on, but the windage adjustment was frozen.

I brought it back to the shop and soaked it in some nutbreaker. I was able to free it up and
now need to get back to the range.

I sent the William’s fire sight back to them. For me the aperture was too large and the
front fire optic was larger than the bullseye. William’s is a fine company and I own some
of their other products. This sight just did not fit me well. I am concentrating on the
original sights, getting them adjusted and possibly milling the top to make it a tad smaller.

I have looked at other aperture sights that mount on the back cover, but my eyesight
prefers a blade further up the sight plane.

Another revision I am looking at is a butt pad that is removable and screws in to the
original butt plate. Making this rifle another 1” plus will make it more comfortable for me
to shoot.

This rifle fired well and made a good pattern. Most people either love or hate the SKS, I
am in favor of it. I can see no reason it can not be more accurate than my abilities.

I am hoping that Mr.Broc Luno can join me some afternoon and give me some tips and
improve my shooting skills. He and others on this forum have tought me so much. Many
thanks gentlemen!

skyhorse
May 17, 2011, 03:09 PM
Well, I made it to the range. Mrs. Skyhorse was coming down with a cold and it was a
windy cold day so she did not have allot of patience. I did manage to get her scope set on
her Mini-14. Here is another rifle that get badmouthed. Hers is right there.

I set the SKS in my cheapie rest and took a few shots with the Yugo milsurp ammo. The
pattern is about 4” to the left and low. I adjusted the front sight for elevation and it is right
on, but the windage adjustment was frozen.

I brought it back to the shop and soaked it in some nutbreaker. I was able to free it up and
now need to get back to the range.

I sent the William’s fire sight back to them. For me the aperture was too large and the
front fire optic was larger than the bullseye. William’s is a fine company and I own some
of their other products. This sight just did not fit me well. I am concentrating on the
original sights, getting them adjusted and possibly milling the top to make it a tad smaller.

I have looked at other aperture sights that mount on the back cover, but my eyesight
prefers a blade further up the sight plane.

Another revision I am looking at is a butt pad that is removable and screws in to the
original butt plate. Making this rifle another 1” plus will make it more comfortable for me
to shoot.

This rifle fired well and made a good pattern. Most people either love or hate the SKS, I
am in favor of it. I can see no reason it can not be more accurate than my abilities.

I am hoping that Mr.Broc Luno can join me some afternoon and give me some tips and
improve my shooting skills. He and others on this forum have tought me so much. Many
thanks gentlemen!

RugerMcMarlin
May 17, 2011, 03:46 PM
My personal opinion is that the use of the term Minute Of Angle, with a Battle Rifle, is fairly useless. I think the Sovietski Karabineski Simonovski is a damn fine weapon from the standpoint that it does exactly what it was designed for. Intermediate range/ antipersonel/ rugged as hell. Accuracy varies widely, but an SKS that wont group inside your hat at 100yd is still a very practical WEAPON at 250 ...Arshins or meters or yards. 3 Line', .30 cal,10 shots, semiauto, Damn ,wheres my checkbook I'm gonna go get another one!:D

Sky
June 30, 2011, 04:04 PM
I have posted in another thread about my first SKS and how pleased I was with it's accuracy. I only shoot paper when sighting in so 100 yard MOA I honestly do not know? I was so impressed I ended up getting another one; both are Norinco. 10" steal plate at 100 yards using Yugo corrosive ammo it does not miss. 325 yard 12" steal plate usually have rounds on steal 4 or 5 shots out of ten and that was just after sighting in the rifle. The misses would have had a military type bad guy running for cover. Is it a scoped AR, NO; but it is more than adequite for the feral pigs we have around here. Wish my AK was as good.

Pilot
June 30, 2011, 04:12 PM
I get minute of pie plate, off hand at 100 yards with both my Russian SKS's and irons. If I bench rest it I can do better, maybe 4 inches or so, all with Wolf or surplus.

bearfoot
June 30, 2011, 04:25 PM
I'll chime in with my (very limited) experience - and maybe I can learn from y'all, too.

I took my newly de-cosmolined yugo to the range on Saturday - at 100 yards it was all over the place. Most of the rounds found paper, but not all of them. (2' square, with 4 targets) As I learned how to aim the darned thing, the groups tightened up. (I'm actually a pretty noo shewter) Near the end of the 40-round session, I was getting about half the rounds inside the 10" target circles.
Second range trip on Tuesday to a different range on the 50-yard line. I used 3 different brands of ammo (Herters hp, Ulyanovsk fmj, Fiocchi fmj) on 3 different targets, and all rounds were within the space of an 8" circle. Interestingly, the Fiocchi ammo at double the price (about $.50/round) was a bit more accurate, even with a hot barrel - it's group was less than 6" across.
At this range, I was faced with some issues - I was facing west with the afternoon sun glinting off the front sight, and the target was completely in shadow. The 2" red bullseye on the dirty bird targets was smaller than the top of the front sight-post, and barely discernible.
I'm not unhappy with the gun or it's performance (especially considering the price) but more accurate is more better, so I'm considering some accurizing measures:

Tech sights - I see that they attach to the back of the receiver, but do you have to drill or otherwise mod the gun to install them? Do they use the existing front sight?
Tapco stock replacement (Bubba'ing?) - This looks like it would make the gun more usable, would be reversable to surplus condition and would provide some optic mounting options. But I guess, if I modify anything, I have to start playing the 922r game, right?
Choate Scope mount - but I'd rather not mod the gun if it's not a big improvement.
Learn to shoot better - practice, practice, practice. Any tips/pointers/book recommendations for improving my skills?

If you enjoyed reading about "SKS accuracy" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!