Nice flashlight for night hunting?

PDA

lookshigh123
September 20, 2010, 01:22 AM
Hi, there. Was wondering what kind of flashlight do u guys use when hunting at night? What do u think about this Rayovac Sportsman Xtreme LED Flashlight (http://www.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.com/searchdeals.php?type=id&q=d182158&ru=28901707)? Is it nice for night hunting? Any other suggestions?

If you enjoyed reading about "Nice flashlight for night hunting?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
WardenWolf
September 20, 2010, 01:30 AM
Anything Rayovac is generally cheap junk. They're considered a low-grade generic. Bad brand. I recommend INOVA personally. Good products, durable, and inexpensive. Put out a ton of light, and have long battery life. Some people will push Surefire, but INOVA gives you so much more for your money.

lookshigh123
September 20, 2010, 01:43 AM
Thanks for your suggestion. So, it is better to go with INOVA ?

WardenWolf
September 20, 2010, 02:25 AM
In my honest opinion, yes. They make quality products.

basicblur
September 20, 2010, 04:33 AM
With recent price decreases, I've been upgrading my old incandescent lights to LEDs for increased light/run time, and have a nice little collection of Streamlights (http://www.streamlight.com/)-I figured the best way to compare 'em is just order one of a number of 'em and play with 'em! (probably gonna give away/sell the ones I don't want).
I don't know exactly what you're looking for in a hunting light, but I like the momentary tail switch of the Streamlights, and you can twist the end for always on. I'm also assuming with the newer tech lights, you're looking for something smaller than 'traditional' lights?
AA batteries:
You might consider the Streamlight Jr (http://www.opticsplanet.net/streamlight-jr-luxeon-flashlights-71500.html)? Starting to get into some serious light output (55 lumens)-'bout the size of a mini Maglite, but slightly longer, and throws a nice beam.
A step up would be the PT-2AA (http://www.opticsplanet.net/streamlight-protac-2aa-tactical-light-with-white-led.html)-120 lumens (got one on the way).
CR123 batteries
Nightfighter (http://www.opticsplanet.net/streamlight-night-fighter-nf-2-led-tactical-flashlight-88005.html), 120 lumens.
I've got a PT-2L (http://www.opticsplanet.net/streamlight-protac-2l-tactical-light-with-white-led.html) on the way-bumps output up from the Nightfighter's 120 to 180 lumens.

Couple of notes:
All above lights have Streamlight's new C4 LED (lots of older LED units around)
When comparing lumens, double lumens doesn't mean twice as bright (to the human eye). I can tell my 120 lumen light is brighter than my 55, but the difference is not as great as the numbers suggest.
All lights can usually be found cheaper than Optics Planet prices.

I've also got their Stylus (2 AAAA) & Stylus Pros (in 1 AA & 2 AA)-while nice little pocket lights, I wouldn't want to go hunting for my dog with 'em!
Not bad for what they are, but not nearly powerful enough for serious work.

EDIT: Note the lumen rating for the Streamlight Jr at Optics Planet is wrong-they show 30 lumens, which was probably the old LED (not C4). Streamlight's site shows it as 55 lumens.

basicblur
September 20, 2010, 04:39 AM
Some people will push Surefire, but INOVA gives you so much more for your money.
Surefires have always been a little rich for my blood-Streamlights are also bargains by comparison.
I haven't figured out why everybody's stuck on Surefire (I'm sure they're good lights)-maybe because of the aggressive styling? I haven't really run across anything bad 'bout Streamlights, and they seem to go for 1/2 to 1/3 the price of Surefires.

Fernando
September 20, 2010, 06:08 AM
Buy something that has a cree led. Powerfull and power saving. And if you want to use it a lot buy something that uses AAA or AA batteries, not cr123 lithium.

I got a 220 lumen terralux lightstar (2 AA batteries), a 500 lumen Litexpress workx (3 cr123 lithium) and a 170 lumen Led Lenser H7r (3 AAA batteries, alkaline or rechargeable). The one I use the most is, by far, the H7r; great light, inexpensive charge, work without hands (good when you are carrying lots of stuff).

22-rimfire
September 20, 2010, 09:27 AM
One that may be of interest is the Rocky made by Fuji Industries (Taiwan). Made of aluminum and seemingly tough with a button in the back. They are rated at 130 lumens LED, and are a single bulb which I prefer. These are currently being sold at Sam's Club in two-packs including batteries (3-AAA batteries per flashlight) for about $20 and are considered a seasonal item. I consider them to be quite a bargain and useful without the extreme price tag of some of the "name brand" flashlights like Surefire. I have purchased four so far and will probably buy another two-pack.

My wife really likes them for her handbag when she goes to work at night.

bang_bang
September 20, 2010, 09:47 AM
I bought a Coleman flashlight from Wal-Mart a while back. 90 Lumens with AAA batteries (maybe AA...can't remember) will light up eyes past 100 yards at night.

$18 wasn't too bad I didn't think.

22-rimfire
September 20, 2010, 10:09 AM
I have one of the Coleman's also. It was one of the first I bought other than the Mag Light LED's.

lookshigh123
September 21, 2010, 05:55 AM
Coleman's ? How about its performance?

22-rimfire
September 21, 2010, 08:35 AM
They are okay. I used it today as a matter of fact. The feature that may be important to you is you can change from clear to red to blue lense with a turn of the front. I like the Rocky better at almost half the price. It is a real bargain. Just bought another two pack for $17.50 + tax. They are not advertised as being waterproof if that is an issue. If anyone is interested, they were in the isle at Sam's where the other hunting stuff is located for the fall.

kbbailey
September 21, 2010, 08:38 AM
what kind of night hunting??
If you are serious about seeing in the dark.....coon hunting lights will light up the night.

Brite Eyes
Nite Lite
Moonshiner
K-Light

some are here:
www.huntsmart.com
www.hunterandhoundsupply.com

They will last for hours, rechargeable, adjustable, and will absolutely light up the woods.
Not just for 'coon hunting either.....we have used to track wounded deer, fix fence, make repairs, check livestock, etc., etc.
Battery pack goes on a belt, light head on a ball cap. Keeps your hands free, and the light goes where you look.
The belt is made to use with a holster for your handgun.
A good one will put the expensive hand held flashlites to shame.
Cost is $$89.00-----$389.00 or more.

just a thought

22-rimfire
September 21, 2010, 08:50 AM
I carry both a head mounted light and a hand held one for walking to a deer stand and so forth. I do not hunt at night so the brightness and longevity of a light used for this purpose is not something I have a strong opinion on. I also use them when I work in people's houses where I need a portable bright light for short periods.

I still like the 3-cell (D size) Mag light LED's. I'm not fond of the price, but I like the beam focus feature on them which I have not seen on the cheap LED flash lights.

cleardiddion
September 21, 2010, 09:02 AM
I picked up a Streamlight Scorpion a little while back.
Rubber coated, LED, runs on 123s, and pumps out a 114 lumens from what I recall.

I picked it up for 35 bucks and change, so the price isn't too bad.
It fits the hand well, it's nice and bright (haven't taken it out to the woods yet but it did light up out about 50-75yds away from my house into the park), and I know the waterproofing works (put it through the wash).

What could be improved on it is that the distance to go from momentary to constant on is loooong and the battery is supposed to be only an hour.

ssfeldjager
September 21, 2010, 05:54 PM
Regardless of which light you buy, your interests would be best served if the power source is a easily found common item.

For example, you can find D, AA and AAA batteries in practically all convenience stores, even in remote areas. You won't be finding batteries such as CR123 in these stores.

Always have more spare batteries, within reason, that you might need. Batteries of any type have a habit of dying when you need them. Rechargable batteries aren't a good idea either, due to lack of spares and you always need a recharging source, the adapter and other equipment to carry along, lose, break and so forth.

In flashlights, etc., the simpler, the better.

Art Eatman
September 22, 2010, 08:49 PM
I've been very pleased with my Streamlight SL-20, 20,000 candlepower (I dunno what that might be in lumens). It will light up eyes at 300 to 400 yards, and clearly show coyotes to way over 100.

OYE
September 23, 2010, 01:04 AM
I have 2 LED headlamps. One is a Black Diamond " Icon ". The other is a Princeton Tec
"Apex". The Icon uses 3 AA batteries (4.5 V) (or a rechargeable battery pack) and will project 50 yards plus on high beam. Bright enough to shoot a raccoon through a scope.
Bright enough on the lower beams to ride horses at night with. The Apex uses 4 AA batteries (6 V) and projects on high beam over 60 yards ( shootable). I tend to use the Icon the most with the rechargeable pack. Has never ran down in one night ( of course you only use high beam when you need it, or it would run down). The Apex is brighter.
Most have real good battery life on AA batteries as long as you don't use high beam
unless needed (last more than one night, and I'm talking all night also). I don't use the old style coon hunter lights anymore. Best

Rugby8
September 23, 2010, 02:42 PM
Go to the website kbb recommended. My father is a regular coonhunter so he has been using their headlamp belt battery combo for some time, and buying from the Nite Lite catalog forever. I bought him a Surefire Executive for his pocket. He couldn't believe he could spot with such a small 1 battery flashlight.

HighExpert
September 24, 2010, 11:02 PM
I have two rechargible maglights. They are the size of a 3 D cell but actually contain five cells. I have replaced the high draw halogen bulbs with the LED kit and have been very satisfied. They used to give me no more than an hour with the halogen bulbs and now give me more than 6 hours with the LEDs. Great lights.

mbt2001
September 24, 2010, 11:12 PM
When you are hunting, you are usually in the sticks, so get anything that is AA / C / D. Those are usually easy to find. I usually bring a lantern (D cell and AA cell) and a maglight (D cell), then a small smith and wesson LED light. It takes CR123's, and if I can't find them, I can live without it. Point is, get some stuff that are easy to reload.

black bear
September 25, 2010, 02:29 PM
for night hunting with a rifle or shotgun on board, nothing better than this one, 350 lumens, rechargeable, two hours run time, with quick detach lever mount and pressure pad tail cap

http://www.thewildoutdoors.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4761#post4761

Flobert
October 1, 2010, 02:38 AM
I love Maglites. The LED ones run forever on a set of batts, hold under or alongside the rifle to light up the game and see the rifle sights against the lit-up target, bang. No fancy batteries, and Mags are made in the USA. I'm not doing 100-yard shots at coyotes though.

kyhuntsman94
October 1, 2010, 06:46 AM
I have a Surefire G2 and love it. While it was a little more expensive up front, I think I paid $35 or $45 for it, it has lasted a good 5 years so far without any problems. I did have to change the batteries once due to operator error as I left the light on overnight after a hunting trip. I bought this due to it's compact size, ruggedness, waterproof to use going to deer stands during the season and also as my general flashlight around the house. It has yet to disappoint me. Now Bass Pro sells a similiar flashlight that is a little bit bigger, but possesses the same qualities. I have been as please with that one as the Surefire one. My wife takes that one with her on her trips to Nigeria every year and has been very pleased with it's performance. Electricity in Nigeria is a dicey thing and you need a reliable flashlight all of the time of an evening. Check it out, you may be pleasantly surprised by it's price and performance.

duck911
October 2, 2010, 11:10 PM
I prefer to go with 18650 Lithium Ion batteries and P7 LED's.

A guy can get starter lamps pretty cheap and the 18650 batteries have GREAT life. When you spend $30 on even one of the cheapest P7's and compare it to maglites and other more expensive lights, you'll be amazed...

If you enjoyed reading about "Nice flashlight for night hunting?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!