Are guns your primary hobby?

PDA

Ignition Override
September 20, 2010, 02:32 AM
If not nowadays, maybe in the past?

Having just reloaded about 85 rds. of Prvi .303 in the last two days, and shot about 20 rds. of it today in the "Jungle Carbine":), it got me curious about other guys (or a few gals). It's not my intention to be nosy.

If you enjoyed reading about "Are guns your primary hobby?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
blackops
September 20, 2010, 02:36 AM
Guns are my primary hobby and basically a large portion of my life. Everything I do, I can relate to shooting or firearms one way or another. I wouldn't have it any other way either. :)

Ignition Override
September 20, 2010, 02:41 AM
They only began to interest me in '07, age 52:o. Living in cities until then did not help.

TIMC
September 20, 2010, 03:32 AM
Guns are my primary hobby and basically a large portion of my life. Everything I do, I can relate to shooting or firearms one way or another. I wouldn't have it any other way either.

What he said!;)

Afy
September 20, 2010, 04:37 AM
Yes.

redman900
September 20, 2010, 05:03 AM
When I shoot /clean my rifles,during that time nothing else matters. Its a break from all the stupid s**t that goes on in the World. Soul cleansing/mind rejuvinating I guess. Plus its fun too.

September 20, 2010, 05:15 AM

No doubt about it ... primary, secondary and tertiary ... :D

:)

ozhuntsman
September 20, 2010, 05:31 AM
yep, all my spare time is spent at the range, hunting or reading and watching things to do with guns and hunting.

JDMorris
September 20, 2010, 06:30 AM
haha, im almost 14, i've had the bug since i was 6. and now i have a shotgun, .22, HPR (.308). and i work at a gun range

wally
September 20, 2010, 07:54 AM
Shooting and photography take up all my free time and disposable cash. Curiously, I get no pleasure at all in taking photos of guns.

oldbanjo
September 20, 2010, 08:04 AM
I went from Guns to Photography, then Bluegrass music now back to Guns.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TC2xTCb_GU

BHP FAN
September 20, 2010, 08:05 AM
they're my only hobby.

lowerunit411
September 20, 2010, 08:41 AM
Hunting and blue water fishing are my primary hobbies. Time, or the lack of it has made reading about hunting and blue water fishing my hobby as of late.

Zach S
September 20, 2010, 08:50 AM
No, and I've kinda got out of it a little. Being a single father of a three year old that works a lot of overtime on graveyard shift doesn't really allow the time to go shoot.

My primary hobby would be modifying cars, but the 90 mile round trip to work usually means mod money gets spent on repairs.

Things would probably be different if I still lived in the sticks and could at least shoot my rimfires off my back porch. But at the moment I live downtown and have a garage ten minutes away.

Glocked-N-Loaded
September 20, 2010, 08:51 AM
Not my primary hobby but I enjoy it thoroughly. My primary would have to be reading and trying to educate myself on things of interest. If I find something interesting, I try to learn as much as possible about the subject.

Kwanger
September 20, 2010, 08:56 AM
Yes, they are mine....have been for the last two years. During that time the collection has increased and I am now regularly competing in USPSA and 3 gun events.

Curiously, when I was in the army (for 12 years), I didn't involve myself with guns outside of work at all. Since leaving I'd say the whole firearms as a hobby thing has become far more enjoyable, and I also now know a lot more about firearms in general than I did while serving.

Dr T
September 20, 2010, 09:06 AM
No. While it is one of the three of longest standing, it is neither my most expensive or least expensive hobby.

It is probably the easiest one in which I can indulge myself.

RevDerb
September 20, 2010, 09:20 AM
As some others have said, they are my ONLY hobby.

Sky
September 20, 2010, 09:28 AM
No, it is so far down the totem pole of my life that it barely registers. When I hunt it brings back my youth and I get a little exercise.

Me, maybe a friend, the chase or track of a veracious long toothed hideously fast Jack Rabbits and a few holes in paper, that's about it for me. If I can hit my target at various distances no reason to shoot or waste ammo. Hunt once or twice a month and go to the range once a month or less. Just depends if I purchase something that needs to go to the range for calibration or testing.

Have enjoyed getting my weapons "set up" and learning from the forums at THR and other places but other than home security at night or the occasional hunt I really don't mess with them.

stsimons
September 20, 2010, 09:34 AM
Guns are an inexpensive alternative to my lifelong saltwater fishing addiction. As the economy worsens I find myself shooting more often and enjoying it more. When you consider a person could buy 1K rounds of ammo for what it costs to gas the boat for one day it becomes a no brainer.

Jonah71
September 20, 2010, 09:35 AM
Since the Doc told me "No more golf!"", it's been guns. Even though I've purchased almost a dozen guns in the past 18 months or so, it's still gonna work out to be cheaper than golf in the long run. And far less frustrating. Not doing much to help keep the weight off though. I can eventually get most of my money back on the guns but not the green fees or club membership. Oh, btw....anyone in the market for golf clubs?

Legionnaire
September 20, 2010, 09:37 AM
Actually, hunting would be my primary hobby by aspiration. But seasons are limited, as is my time to get afield. Consequently, guns (including range time, reloading time, reading time ... and even forum time) would be primary in terms of time spent.

Onmilo
September 20, 2010, 09:38 AM
South American Conure Parrots are my hobby.
I have been around guns and shooting since I was eight years old so they are in the same league as my shoes,,,,

Jim Watson
September 20, 2010, 09:45 AM
I am pretty much a monomaniac, kind of like Mr Toad's Motormania.

When somebody describes some other way to spend time and money, I say "No, thanks, I already have one expensive hobby."

Onmilo
September 20, 2010, 09:48 AM
Which brings up the question,,,
Anybody here play Golf??:D

Sky
September 20, 2010, 10:13 AM
Yep Golf is like shooting; trying to hit a target with wind and elevation changes and have even seen the results of someone getting hit! Can be a war zone unto itself.

doc2rn
September 20, 2010, 10:31 AM
Tried Golf once and had two pro's give up on me, bad slice to the right.
Been shooting since the third grade, had way more luck with my Daisy pellet gun followed up by my very own Ruger Standard at age 11.:evil:

Legionnaire
September 20, 2010, 11:42 AM
Anybody here play Golf?? Nah. You get your "birdies" your way, and I'll get 'em mine (as he reaches for the SxS).

FlyinBryan
September 20, 2010, 11:56 AM
sometimes my primary hobby. fishing is my other.

Jamyatunes
September 20, 2010, 11:58 AM
Firearms are certainly my primary hobby. Also, my most expensive. But SCUBA diving comes a close second in both categories, especially when you factor in airfare.

LeonCarr
September 20, 2010, 12:12 PM
Shooting first, handloading a close second.

husker
September 20, 2010, 12:16 PM
This is my primary hobby.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6qlvyXKj-A
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=petro062#p/u/41/0iFeKTzg4LI
Guns are fun. But not as much fun as my train & tanks
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=petro062#p/u/56/WmJM_LtmKb4

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=petro062#p/u/75/gjMAfl5J2g0

Arkansas Paul
September 20, 2010, 12:24 PM
Definately yes. There are other things I dabble in but nothing to compare to the time and effort spent shooting, handloading, hunting, and preparing for hunting season, all of which I catagorize in the guns catagory.

Anybody here play Golf??

Yep. Love it, but it's nothing like shooting.
I would never spend $1k on a set of golf clubs, but if I could afford it and saw a gun I wanted, I would do it in a heartbeat.
I also like fishing, but it's probably third on the list.
There is a HUGE gap between guns and whatever comes second.

husker
September 20, 2010, 12:26 PM
Know 1 on the THR PLAYS GIRL-Y BALL.
DO THEY?

rattletrap1970
September 20, 2010, 12:45 PM
Guns, Reloading, shooting, firearm repairs and Refinishing would be the central star of my hobby solar system. Orbited by; Woodworking, machining, motorcycles, photography, beer brewing, knife making, gardening, mirror gilding, 3D archery, computers, harmonica and cooking.

possum
September 20, 2010, 01:15 PM
it was guitars and playing music until i was old enough to have a handgun, and i have never looked back since. I still play a little (alot more when i am deployed). I figured can playing guitar save my life? in some crazy scenario i am sure, but not in the real world. Shooting and training to me is something much more worth while for me to spend my time, and money on.

Sky
September 20, 2010, 02:36 PM
Yep the guitar helped put me through school; money.

Golf helped me be interested in something and also provided me with Money and bragging rights. $1000 golf clubs?? Must be buying on Craigslist! (JOKE)

Wish it were not such a big deal for a private seller and buyer to do a transaction with guns...Such is life.

sprice
September 20, 2010, 02:39 PM
followed by sports and camping/being outdoors :)

Hizzie
September 20, 2010, 02:46 PM
While I have been interested in all manner of firearms since I was a small child they are not my #1 interest. My primary interest is in physical fitness with emphasis on strength training and overall conditioning. Secondary is nutrition which supports my primary interest. Then firearms. Then edged tools.

forindooruseonly
September 20, 2010, 02:51 PM
No. Guns are a huge part of my recreation, but I also spend a lot of time and money on my motorcycles and photography.

junyo
September 20, 2010, 02:56 PM
In terms of money, my secondary hobby. In terms of time, down the list a bit, though I'm hoping to change that.

SlamFire1
September 20, 2010, 03:22 PM
No, I also enjoy eating and sleeping. :D

Big_E
September 20, 2010, 03:33 PM
I'm big on video games, building/repairing computers (I don't do it often), one time I was into car audio, then home audio. Working out is something I also consider a hobby but I am not as serious about it as I was in highschool. Guns and shooting are still my main attraction for several years now, since I have been able to purchase firearms. Heck, I am on here almost everyday and that not healthy for my bank account.

There are just so many guns out there that are unique, do things differently, etc... that they are truly the most fascinating to me. Once I get some work to afford a 3 gun setup, steel plate pistol and maybe some SASS gear, competitive shooting will be my life.

Oh, and on the golf thing. Almost every time I hear my dad say he's going to the range, I think he is going shooting but its the driving range. The other day I found some golf balls, set them up at 50 yrds and plinked away at them. I called him and said I was out hitting golf balls all day, haha he thought I was golfing.

ny32182
September 20, 2010, 03:51 PM
Shooting and guns/gun related gear is by far my biggest in terms of time and money.

I play golf too; I just like shooting more, and therefore am much more dedicated to it. If shooting was somehow taken from me I would probably spend a lot more time on golf. Competition shooting is golf with a gun.

ScratchnDent
September 20, 2010, 04:30 PM
Used to be, until I bought a reloading press 6 years ago. Now, guns and shooting just enable me to engage in my real addiction of reloading and casting.

kurt1305
September 20, 2010, 04:36 PM
Motorcycles and guns occupy my free time. I currently own a BMW R1200GS and a Moto Guzzi Stelvio.

atlanticfire
September 20, 2010, 04:37 PM
Motorcycles
Antique tractors
Guns/reloading
RC everything
Home Theater (speaker building)
Computers
Priority changes with the seasons.
And yes, Im always broke!

oasis618
September 20, 2010, 04:44 PM
...Even though I've purchased almost a dozen guns in the past 18 months or so, it's still gonna work out to be cheaper than golf in the long run. And far less frustrating...

Any benefit of exercise I get from golf is negated by the mental anguish it causes me. I wish I din't like it so much because I sure do hate it.

Sky
September 20, 2010, 04:52 PM
Big Dog Soft tail Chopper. Only bike I know of where an old guy can actually look good! Obviously subjective observation.

Would like to sling my AR and go down the road to the range but unfortunately wouldn't get to far!

Detachment Charlie
September 20, 2010, 05:42 PM
I enjoy firearms, but they are not my primary hobby.
Turning money into smoke and noise is my primary hobby; everything else -- the guns, reloading, gunsmithing, research, etc. -- simply feeds the money into smoke and noise thing.

UniversalFrost
September 20, 2010, 05:53 PM
guns have always been at or near the top of the list of hobbies.

of course the list is always changing (mostly due to age or locally surroundings).

I can say guns are in the top 3 always. women and booze are/were up there as well, but life/marriage has a way of taking those 2 out of the top three.

chicharrones
September 20, 2010, 06:49 PM
"Are guns your primary hobby?"

Not when I was younger and had no children to take care of. Now, all my other hobbies have dropped off the list leaving firearms almost by itself. :p

ElToro
September 20, 2010, 09:13 PM
I have 2 kids under 2.5 so they take a lot of time I sure don't get range time as much as before kids but I've still been buying guns and ammo and cruising the forums. Actually I hunt more than ever now than before kids gives me a day away and I get food and I get to shoot maybe only a few shots though. Actually I can't wait for the day I can take my son to the range. Wife of course thinks its too much but honestly she has no hobbies. All my friends are gun nuts so that helps

paintballdude902
September 20, 2010, 09:15 PM
pretty close but my bronco takes priority. after all i can go a few weeks without shooting....but i only have one truck that i need pretty much every day

Carter
September 20, 2010, 09:45 PM
So much so that my gf is actually getting jealous.

*sigh*

oh well.

offroaddiver
September 20, 2010, 09:55 PM
I've had multiple hobbies from childhood to present. It wasn't until I was hanging out with what was then gf's father that I really got into shooting.
But back to the OP's question: I love to go shooting, but all my favorite hobbies are outdoors... Hiking, SCUBA, Golf (another thing I've gotten interested in by future father-in-law), fishing, boating, etc.

I do have one rule: I'll never pick up a habbit that costs more than the cost of the ammo I've shot in a competition before. ($150 in pistol, rifle and shotgun ammo in one afternoon.)

CraigC
September 20, 2010, 09:56 PM
They are my primary passion and interest, though I dislike the word "hobby" and never use it. IMHO, some may disagree but to me "hobby" implies something of a passing interest and those come and go. Something to be discarded and replaced when interest wanes. On the contrary, guns/shooting/hunting are an important and integral part of my life and have been from an early age.

Flash!
September 20, 2010, 10:05 PM
firearms is not my main hobby.... but it is a close second.......

Deaf Smith
September 20, 2010, 10:07 PM
Guns as a hobby?

Well my primary avocations, not hobbies, are martial arts and defensive shooting. Guns are a sort of offshoot of those two. But I also hunt and guns come into that picture to, as does reloading.

I use competition to check my skill level with guns (IDPA mostly) and thus reloading is also a necessity with that.

But hobby, well that sounds like I’m not really serious about what I do, and I assure you, I am serious at the things I do. If I have any hobby, it’s motorcycles and scuba.

Deaf

mptrimshop
September 20, 2010, 10:15 PM
guns, boats, golf, girls and booze.......yep i'm single and lovin it .......been golfing so much lately i have been getting less women.....o well duck season is coming soon and girls are just a PITA that time of year

MutinousDoug
September 20, 2010, 10:27 PM
This could be a thoughtful thread (not saying it actually WILL be)
Dad bought me my 1st gun when I was about 12; a Remington .22 bolt rifle. He took me trap shooting and bird shooting once in a while at 13-14. It was fun.
Got out of the Army in 1971; went back packing in California and then in Colorado when I moved there in 1976. Wondered about all the people carrying bows and guns in the woods come September. My brother and I bought bows to make use of our time in the woods that time of year.
Then a revolver or two. Then a Muzzleloader (What the heck? Miss an elk at 50 yards or knock them down at 70?).
Then IHMSA for a few years, then Bullseye. THEN: DCM !! High Power Rifle competition.
All the while: backpacking, fishing, guitar, biking? How do we score these things? cost? or time spent/wasted?

TheAmplifiedsoul
September 20, 2010, 10:29 PM
Guitar and Harmonica, Martial Arts, Guns, Jeep, and Video Games in that order. Really don't count the games as a hobby, just something that I do since I can't stand to sit and watch TV.

HGUNHNTR
September 20, 2010, 11:25 PM
Running, Cycling, Firearms, Learning languages, Cooking, Drinking

bushmaster1313
September 20, 2010, 11:27 PM
What other hobbies are there?

riflenut
September 20, 2010, 11:55 PM
having been raised 1/8 of a mile from 250 acres of woods with ponds and streams , iam 52 and have owned and been around firearms since i was 12 years old. ive got other hobbies, but guns are important to me still to this day.

postalnut25
September 21, 2010, 12:08 AM
My guns, my trucks, a motorcycle? I love them all.

However, my favorite hobby is doing whatever my darling daughters want to do. they are WAY more important than any other hobby.

sincitizen
September 21, 2010, 12:15 AM
im just getting into guns infact i dont have one yet but that will change soon. i have been out shooting but still very novice, but i ride a dirt bike KX250 and mess around with nitro rc trucks.

ROGER4314
September 21, 2010, 12:34 AM
Over the years, other pastimes have nosed firearms out of the first slot. Those include: Motorcycles, travel, SCUBA Diving, boats, water skiing, Jeeps and the list goes on and on. I recently retired and have placed my plan of tinkering and shooting rifles and pistols into action. When I'm not shooting, I do little wood working projects. That's how I plan to go until the end...............

Flash

RockyMtnTactical
September 21, 2010, 12:58 AM
Yes, primarily, along with sports, and other things...

jon86
September 21, 2010, 01:13 AM
Lifting heavy and eating tons of healthy food are my primary hobbies/lifestyle. Guns are next. Although when you carry a gun daily, it becomes more of a lifestyle than a hobby.

Ignition Override
September 21, 2010, 02:23 AM
My shooting hobby ranks up there with running on the dirt trails in woods at Shelby Farms, to avoid modern civilization for a while, if that is the correct label for suburbs/cities. Even better is Shelby Forest (our 'Black Forest'), but a longer drive.

The problem with canoes is up river versus down river with an extra person needed.

Anything in the outdoors has much more appeal than it did years ago. Now envious of guys who grew up in the country by woods/water or hills.

uspJ
September 21, 2010, 03:58 AM
Guns, guitars and girls.

Sgt_R
September 21, 2010, 05:37 AM
Firearms compete for my time, attention, and hard earned cash with a variety of other interests. Which happens to be my 'primary' hobby at any given time is fairly random.

I will say that it's probably my most expensive hobby though. Which is definately saying something, considering that my other hobbies include cycling, computers, and home theater.

Then of course, there's my 3 year old daughter, who probably gets more of my time, attention, and hard earned cash than the rest of them put together. ;)

R

madcratebuilder
September 21, 2010, 07:24 AM
I have always had fire arms and did some reloading, but my primary thing was drag racing. Forty years at the local level, door slammers to funny cars. I retired from drag racing in 2001 pretty much and got into RC stuff for several years but the fire arms have taken complete control it seems. It consumes part of each day. I couldn't be happier.

dirtymike1
September 21, 2010, 08:30 AM
I just picked up on firearms in the last year or so. My first true love has been and always will be cars. I have hi hopes of building my first race car in the next year or two when i get out to Kentcuky and can have a plaec to do the work in :)

Or I'll build one of these

http://www.uscaterham.com/showroom/showroom.html

Other than that brewing beer has been taking up the last few years of my life as well. I still dream of one day opening up a brewery and making a living off of beer.

Oh how could I forget my music! lol I've played guitar at the national level in both classic and jazz music, I've played in everything from jazz bands to heavy metal bands, and since i'm moving Friday, I just had to quiting singing in a hard-core punk band :D

oldbear
September 21, 2010, 09:04 AM

No, as much as I enjoy the shooting sports, I believe to be a well rounded person it is necessary to have a wide assortment of interests.

easyg
September 21, 2010, 09:12 AM
Anybody here play Golf??
Well, I don't know if I would go so far as to call it golf :o

hso
September 21, 2010, 09:19 AM
Primarily self defense and martial arts, but some of my firearms interest falls under the broader martial arts and self defense interest. Knife collecting is also on par with firearms collecting and probably a little more important since you can develop a relationship with a knife maker more easily than a firearms manufacturer.

BluesDancer
September 21, 2010, 09:24 AM
No, as much as I enjoy the shooting sports, I believe to be a well rounded person it is necessary to have a wide assortment of interests.
+1

My primary interest is dancing. Blues primarily, but also East Coast Swing, Lindy Hop, and a bit of Balboa. Second is reading. Third is shooting. Guns do take up a lot of my disposable income though; it's certainly not cheap. Except for a trip to Austin, TX for a dance workshop last year, money goes for ammo, ammo, and ammo.

Blackrock
September 21, 2010, 09:45 AM
Right now in my retirement I'll say I keep my hobbys split between my guns,Jeep.Quad and camping in my new pop up trailer that carrys my Quad and lots of guns.

myrdraal0
September 21, 2010, 09:57 AM
There is no question it is one of my primary hobbies, and most of my other interests seem to be offshoots - like reloading and hunting.

I doubt I could put as much time or money into it as I do if my wife weren't involved on some level as well...

heron
September 21, 2010, 10:26 AM
Shooting is only one of my hobbies. Back before my hip went south, I loved bicycling and hiking; these days I get my outdoor jollies mostly from my solo canoe.

Being more sedentary these days, I read and write some (sci-fi), do internet research on whatever catches my curiosity, and do a little poetry, art and music now and then.

I'm trying to write a novel . . .

Have you ever tried to write a novel? Don't. Just go shoot something instead. Sometimes, working on the thing makes me WANT to go shoot something.

Now I've got two cigarettes going at once. See what writing does to you?

ccjcc81
September 21, 2010, 01:27 PM
When I was a boy, my parents were not big on guns. They owned some, but I never saw them as a child. However, I have an uncle who is a firearms enthusiast. Every time I would visit him, hew would let me look at his guns. By 4 years of age, I had every part of a revolver memorized, and at 6 I could field strip a 1911.(No special mental abilities here, just repitition.) I garnered a lot of praise from my uncle and father because of this, so firearms were always associated with accomplishment and esteem for me. To this day, I cannot go a single day without thinking about the next gun I want to buy.

dovedescending
September 21, 2010, 01:35 PM
I've been researching tube amplifiers and basic electrical engineering recently... and before that it was mods for my electric guitar... and before that it was trying to learn how to sew... and before that it was reading Pablo Neruda obsessively...

:p

Grey Morel
September 21, 2010, 01:40 PM
Shooting is my primary hobby!

... Collecting Antique pistols and revolvers are my secondary hobbies.

... Collecting modern 'Tactical' type arms is my tertiary hobby.

... Because of my secondary hobby, I have taken up reloading as a quaternary hobby.

... Since I have so darn many guns and few shooting partners, I have started recruiting new shooters as a quinary hobby.

... Being a trained Anthropologist I document, research, and study my collections as a means to understanding more about human culture - This is a senary hobby that I call 'Hoplonalia'.

This has all evolved in the last 6 or 7 years... Over time I'm sure I will add septenary, octonary, nonary hobbies, and so on... all of which will be firearms related. :o

sub-moa
September 21, 2010, 01:46 PM
Avocation and Vocation...But I do Fish/Boat/Dive on occasion ;)

MADDOG
September 21, 2010, 01:50 PM
Harleys and handguns for a long, long time. My grandkids are requiring more time lately. They also like shooting. Things are good.

A and O
September 21, 2010, 01:57 PM
Shooting is a three part hobby for me. I find hand loading and cleaning of my guns to be as much fun as the shooting.

I also enjoy my "05" Honda Interceptor. Would post a photo, but can't seem to find them in this laptop.

The Sarge
September 21, 2010, 01:59 PM
Build and race muscle/late model American cars. V8's for me......
I am the "defacto" gunsmith in this county due my shop/tools etc.
So I have been into guns for many years. Lately I have been "converting" about two Saiga's a month.....local feed store started selling them.....and folks prefer them restored back to Kalashnikov's original designed solution...so I do it for them.....I enjoy gunsmithing much more than shooting I guess....but I do shoot often and enjoy it.....I am almost out of my Nancy Pelosi targets though....gotta get me some more....:cuss:

fastbolt
September 21, 2010, 02:03 PM
Once upon a time they rivaled the martial arts and knife collecting as my primary interest.

Then I entered LE.

After working as a firearms instructor for 20 years, and also as an armorer for the better part of that time, they became just another responsibility and chore. I still buy new ones, especially if I can get an armorer's discount on something that interests me, and I still do a fair amount of training & practice, but they haven't been a favorite "hobby" for many years.

During the last several years I've enjoyed motorcycles and cigars much more than owning and shooting firearms.

My first grand child is my favorite way to spend my free time. :)

KBintheSLC
September 21, 2010, 02:05 PM
Love shooting and hunting, but I have lots of other hobbies too.

chicharrones
September 21, 2010, 02:06 PM
im just getting into guns infact i dont have one yet but that will change soon. i have been out shooting but still very novice . . .

Excellent! Everyone that wants to get into firearms has to start somewhere. Firing other people's guns is cheaper than buying them, especially when you have to fund your dirt bike habit. :D

Hatterasguy
September 21, 2010, 02:47 PM
Shooting isn't my favorite hobby, boating, sailboat racing, and fishing are my favorites.

longhair75
September 21, 2010, 03:05 PM
I was a lot more interested in shooting in the past, but I got away from it due to work and family. I stopped when my kids were into little league softball and high school band, then work moved in. I kept my hand in, but didn't spend near the range time that i did before.

The kids are now grown, and although I still work a lot of hours, I have time to get back into it now. I have a little more disposable income than I did with two teen aged girls in the house ;o)

When the state started issuing Concealed Handgun Permits, I started to renew my interest. When the state law was finally set to supersede the absurd city laws, I started looking at new handguns for the first time in years. The new law took effect in July. Now, I just have to wait a few days longer for the wheels of bureaucracy to turn and I am set to go.

Downr@nge
September 21, 2010, 03:25 PM
Fishing, Pool, Dirtbiking, and music!

22-rimfire
September 21, 2010, 03:56 PM
Guns are not my primary hobby. Emphasis on hobbies vary from one year to the next. At one time firearms could probably be considered my dominant hobby. Honestly, I think shooting would be a better hobby or varmint hunting, both of which involve using firearms. The guns are a means to an end, not necessarily the end.

JohnBiltz
September 21, 2010, 03:56 PM
No, its not. I've got more money in books than guns. In the last few years I've got more money in guns but I was not shooting for a number of years. In terms of time its not even close. I shoot once a week. I read every day.

luigi
September 21, 2010, 03:59 PM
My primary hobby is collecting books

Stevie-Ray
September 21, 2010, 04:07 PM
Everything to do with firearms, shooting, reloading, ballistics, these forums, talking guns to friends, etc. has to be my main hobby. Home theatre is probably next and then my truck.

labhound
September 21, 2010, 10:24 PM
Not really a hobby but I thoroughly enjoy pistol target shooting. Hunted some in my younger days but lost interest, kept the 12 gauge, sold the .22 rifle and bought a tennis racquet. Tennis and skiing kept my interest for lots of years but waned as I got older. Tried golf, wasn't much good at it but still very much enjoy being a spectator. Loose pit bulls prompted my first pistol purchase and introduced the wife and myself to target shooting. Training and riding our horses along with the pistol shooting are my prime free time interests now.

browningguy
September 21, 2010, 11:01 PM
Actually I probably spend more time in my woodworking shop than anything else, it's right out the back door so easy to get to after work. I also golf a couple of times a week, and collect coins on a reasonably serious basis.

But shooting is high on my list of things I like to do.

Tom609
September 21, 2010, 11:01 PM
Guns and cycling are always vying for my attention. Like children, I try not to show a favorite. During the winter months I'll continue to go to the range at least weekly, and I'll also reload and stockpile so that I can again ride and have plenty to shoot when spring comes around. Kind of a squirrel and acorn thing. I've also added cigars to my range bag and seem to have started a hobby collecting those too. Life is good.

straitnate14
September 21, 2010, 11:05 PM
I got to many hobby's, I fly RC airplanes, and I got a 1968 chevy C10/money pit that I got caught up in a frame of resto... Guns are my filler hobby in-between flying and working on my truck. Heck I spend more time reloading then I do shooting.

Equestrian
September 21, 2010, 11:07 PM
no. horses are they are a lifestyle. guns are something i enjoy the challenge of the history and the mechanics and while not a passing interest not the biggest paycheck strain by far.

martywj
September 21, 2010, 11:24 PM
There was a time that I would have said that motorcycles were the number one hobby, but it is more of a way of life now. My wife and I each have our own bikes and have for a number of years. I have a 1996 Kawasaki Voyager XII and a 1978 XS650 Yamaha. She has a 2005 Yamaha XSV1100. We are in the Christian Motorcyclists Association and serve as Area Reps. So quite often put more miles on the bikes in a year than our 4 wheeled vehicles. So motorcycling is more than just a hobby for us.

Since both us have a CHL and carry all the time guns are not necessarily a hobby, but a tool. Althrough we both enjoy shooting a lot have several guns each. I have a XD40SC, S&W 908 9mm, Kel Tec PF9, Model 36-10 snubbie, Model 36 3", and Browning Buckmark 22lr. She has a Glock 27, Kahr P9, Taurus PT709, Ruger LCP, and Ruger MKIII 22lr. All of these guns are in our carry rotation except the 22's.

I guess If anything our hobbies would be geo-caching, we have 5 GPS's. We also like to fish, we sometimes carry a couple of take apart rods and reels in our travels on the bikes. We like to travel to historical places and scenic mountian places.

It doesn't really matter what we do as long as it is together.
Been doing stuff together for 28 years and since we are both 62 don't see any reason to change now.

perch
September 21, 2010, 11:38 PM
Cool to see so many interests on here. I was thinking that I may be alone in having a lot of other hobbies.

I have a million.

Electronics engineering, ham radio, web development, photography, biking, mountaineering, growing orchids, reading everything, audiophile stuff, donkey ownership, welding, lots of visual arts, homebrewing, cooking, and just generally geeking out on anything whatever.

And oh yeah, guns. I just got into them a few months ago, on day 71 of my CCW wait, and already have my next 6 gun purchases planned out along with plans to get into reloading.

Good times!

Manco
September 21, 2010, 11:39 PM
Guns are one of my primary hobbies, although I haven't invested much in equipment yet, relative to the others--that's because I invest in learning as much as I can first, and I'm still at an early stage in that regard. It will probably take me a fair number of years to reach any level of expertise, by my own estimation. My other primary hobbies are:

Amateur astronomy - Currently only observational, although I will eventually get into electronic sensors and astrophotography (I'm using my eyes for old-school astronomy while they're still good, and I'm fortunate that they are very good despite decades of using computers and reading books). I've studied and observed the sky since childhood, and probably know it better than the planet that I live on.

Vintage computers - I've been programming and using them since I was a child, they helped set me on my career path, and I never stopped loving (as much as one can love machines, anyway) and in fact using those old 8-bit and early 16-bit computers of the 1970s and 1980s.

Home theater - The eternal quest to experience movies as they were intended to be experienced, which involves simply too much to summarize. ;)

Fountain pens - Quite interesting from a historical and cultural perspective, and I still use them. Like most everybody else I hardly write much down by hand anymore, so I only have one fountain pen inked at a time. Currently, it's my 1960s vintage Sheaffer Snorkel (Sentinel model), probably the most complex and advanced fountain pen ever devised. It's cool, it's nicer to write with than modern pens (virtually no pressure required), and it's a durable, high-quality piece of American ingenuity and manufacturing from a bygone era that I can still use as a practical tool today. I actually used a fountain pen in elementary school, and it sure drew a lot of attention at times.

Disney - Not most of the new crap from the bloated conglomerate using that name, but the classic stuff, as well as the theme parks, particularly Disneyland. Amazingly the shooting gallery is still there (infrared since the 1980s, but it used to have air pellet guns, and there was another gallery that had .22 rimfire rifles in the 1950s :eek: ), and they've brought the guns back to the Jungle Cruise ride (real .22 LR revolvers shooting blanks that you can hear quite far outside the park :D). The last time I was there, I saw several groups of kids playing with the cheesy post-Columbine orange & green-colored toy flintlock/caplock guns, but they still knew what to do with them (i.e. pretend to maim and kill each other :evil: ).

I also dabble in a bunch of different fields, such as electronics, that may someday become hobbies if I ever get bored or have more free time.

weisse52
September 22, 2010, 08:24 AM
Guns take their turn with Bicycling and Golf. Been shooting and riding bike since I was very young. Golf I took up in my mid 40's.

In terms of money, I have spent way too much on bikes, have wasted tons of money on golf, but have never spent enough on guns...

bhp9mm
September 22, 2010, 08:43 AM
guns are mine

Maverick223
September 22, 2010, 11:59 AM
It is without a doubt my primary, as well as my most costly hobby (though it is probably the best "investment" hobby as well), but not my sole hobby. I also enjoy plinking/target shooting (obviously ties in), handloading (always ties in), metalworking (this sometimes ties in), tinkering (often ties in), reading & collecting books, outdoors activities (including but not limited to: camping, canoeing, hiking, hunting, fishing, mtn. climbing, swimming, & mtn. biking), model building, working on cars, and likely a few more that I left out.

:)

monet61
September 22, 2010, 10:00 PM
Shooting and oil painting. (Yeah, I know.)

Hawthorne2k
September 22, 2010, 10:23 PM
Shooting and oil painting. (Yeah, I know.)

Ain't nothing wrong with that. Ask Rosie Grier if anyone ever snickers at his love of needlepoint. More than once, that is... :D

Shooting is my primary hobby now. I took pictures for a living and as a hobby, used to play a lot of golf, but now it's all shootey all the time for me.

kayak-man
September 22, 2010, 10:38 PM
My hobbies are mountainbiking, fishing, surfing, kayaking and a few other things.

My obsessions/addictions are guns and running

FriedRice
September 23, 2010, 02:11 AM
It is currently my primary hobby. I do other things like bowling, meditation, reading on a variety of topics. I poke around the internet a bit. Sometimes I have enough energy after work to socialize outside my house. Guns are my most expensive hobby so far. Nice to see others with multiple types of hobbies.

Erik M
September 23, 2010, 05:14 AM
Its in the top 3, along with knives and muscle cars.

Radagast
September 23, 2010, 08:12 AM
Reading is currently my primary hobby, followed by cooking. Shooting was for many years my primary, at one time I qualified for the Australian IPSC team. These days I shoot one a month on average, 50 to 100 rounds, which is well down on the 200 to 500 rounds a week I used to put down range.

Now it's time to put a lamb roast in the oven and read a few chapters while it cooks. :)

John_galt
September 23, 2010, 08:44 AM
I have several "hobbies". Woodworking is probably my favorite, but for now since I just moved and gave up my 600 sq ft shop I'm a little bit hamstrung til I get the new shop built. Golf a lot in season - woodworking off season. Shoot and reload year round - reload is because I shoot. I run or lift every day sometimes both in one day but thats not really a hobby it maintainence - been doing it for a very long time. A lot yeah but I get up very early and I enjoy it. What really helps is my kids like to golf with me and work in my shop with me. The oldest (9) is about to start shooting - she is excited. Wife likes to shoot with me too. Life is good.

9MMare
September 23, 2010, 05:10 PM
Nope, but self-defense in general has become a major interest. And I do like shooting, esp doing IDPA practice.

I ride horses and work on my small farm. Do lots of other outdoors sports too.

But I recently did combine 2 interests and started doing cowboy mounted shooting. FUN!

Double Naught Spy
September 23, 2010, 05:57 PM
Guns were my primary hobby. Then I thought I needed my own gun range and so I bought some land for the job. Built the multi-use range, built the rifle range, added tartgets, designed targets, realized hunting was an option and added cameras and feeders. Now the land is my primary hobby that allows me to work with my secondary hobby, guns.

CoRoMo
September 23, 2010, 05:59 PM
I have no idea. I've always thought that work, stress, and headache were my primary hobbies.

springmom
September 23, 2010, 07:04 PM
Well, no. My dogs are my primary hobby. I guess you'd measure that by the fact that the dogs are curled up, one on my knee, one on Rich's...but the gun is behaving itself and sitting quietly over on the coffee table next to me. Clearly I've trained the gun better than I've trained the dogs!!! :D:D:D

Jan

Topkick
September 23, 2010, 07:20 PM
My ONLY hobby (guns - shooting - reloading). Only accurate, reliable guns are interesting. Your guns are your best friends, take good care of them, they'll take good care of you and never let you down, all that said, Jesus is your VERY BEST friend. " He who hath no sword, let him go sell his cloak and buy one".

ninja45
September 23, 2010, 07:53 PM
Guns, photography, martial arts. My wife sometimes tells me that I love my guns more than her. I made a mistake of hesitating, ONE time, in answering "That's not true, dear!" LOL.

NC Cruffler
September 23, 2010, 07:57 PM
Naw, Ya think?
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f142/DaveGreen1954/100_0380.jpg
My 16 X 20 gun room.

jlasserton
September 23, 2010, 08:34 PM
no, not at all... however, I enjoy them in a less "obsessed" way!

9MMare
September 23, 2010, 10:01 PM
no. horses are they are a lifestyle. guns are something i enjoy the challenge of the history and the mechanics and while not a passing interest not the biggest paycheck strain by far.

High five!

So true.

thorazine
September 24, 2010, 05:18 PM
Not my primary hobby but firearms are on the top ten.

Primary hobby would be my girlfriend. =D

Rawr.

Lee Roder
September 24, 2010, 07:59 PM
Yes, but guns spawn many subsidiary hobbies. Right now, I'm into metalworking techniques, third world style. Next Spring I hope to enroll in a vocational welding program. I missed so much attending graduate school. My other hobby is animal husbandry.

DFW1911
September 24, 2010, 08:48 PM
My hobbies:

My dog
Roman history
Alaskan adventures: try to get one in every year!
Writing
Reading
Martial Arts
Outdoors anything
Fly fishing
Collecting watches
Single Malt Scotch

I'm sure I'm forgetting some, like exercise, but I'm good with this list :)

wep45
September 24, 2010, 10:13 PM
not even close. i enjoy owning and shooting my revolvers, but there are other, more important things in my life.

kirklandkie
September 24, 2010, 10:39 PM
i do a couple random things as a hobby, other than firearms i also work on my car, restore old stuff (snowmobiles, lawn tractors, etc), and more interestingly i make chainmail

-kirk

JTHunter
September 24, 2010, 11:13 PM
Guns, hunting, photography, SCUBA diving, motorcycles, computers, cooking (and unfortunately, EATING!), and not enough time for ANY of them!

BoxMaker
September 25, 2010, 09:53 AM
I have just taken up guns and shooting. Mainly so I can spend some quality time with my oldest son doing something we both enjoy. I live in the country, so he can visit and bring his gun(s).

My main hobby for the last 10 years has been woodworking.

ChCx2744
September 25, 2010, 01:05 PM
Guns are definitely my favorite hobby, but I don't enjoy it as often as my other ones due to cost. If I had more money, I'd have more guns, ammo and range time.

JWF III
September 25, 2010, 09:20 PM

Financially?- Without a doubt

Time wise?- Hunting included, yes
- Hunting not included, it's too close to call

Wyman

Uniquedot
September 25, 2010, 09:25 PM
Primary hobby would be my girlfriend. =D

Guns are yours as long as you'll have them...women are yours as long as they'll have you. :)

carbuncle
September 26, 2010, 01:47 AM
Shooting is one hobby of many: I also enjoy biking, music, hiking and photography.

Flobert
September 26, 2010, 01:50 AM
Guns
TRUMPET playing
Gardening - good survivalist skill
Working on bicycles
Building stuff.

lookshigh123
September 26, 2010, 02:09 AM
Not really. travel is my first hobby.

Gouranga
September 26, 2010, 08:19 AM
Well I have a wife and 4 little girls so they occupy most of my non-work time. After that I have fishing (Bass, trout, etc, if it involves a fish and a pole/line I am there). I am trying to get back into hunting but had a lot of trouble in NC finding spots and getting going on that front.

It is the first 2 hobbies which spawned my firearms collection. Had an interesting fellow approach me at a boat launch after hours with my oldest daughter with me. Lets just say he and his friend were not interested in what I caught that day and though everything worked out alright, I was not happy with the lack of options I had for protecting myself and my little girl. So I got me a S&W M&P 40 FS and it has been downhill from there, lol.

If you enjoyed reading about "Are guns your primary hobby?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!