make it over, but stick to your guns, please !

PDA

oldfool
September 20, 2010, 09:30 AM
do whatever is practical and needed, but above all else, stick to your guns !
NO politics, NO religion !!
a few banners or whatever, no big deal.. a tighter rein on links and copyrighted copied, hey that's reality, no problem

politics -
been there, seen that, nothing else is as instantly self destructive to any forum, as "going political"; no matter the pretense, no matter the dominant demographic, it's nothing short of cyberspace suicide. Even the hardcore 'righteous' get sick-n-tired of the constant nastiness, and pretty soon you have nothing left but a choir blog, with a membership of 10

make/model/caliber woobie wars get nasty enough as it is
people get just plain ugly with one another over "Grizz" stuff, much less God stuff and substitute god stuff (politicians & political parties)
more than sufficient silliness , no nastiness enhancement needed

too many members here too easily forget -
the price of speech on this forum is... FREE
but freedom of speech is a bogus argument, this is not public domain
("my range my rules - your range your rules" - get over it already)
street corners and webspace are not that hard to find, let 'em go find it elsewhere, and let 'em rant on their own time and their own dime

forum moderator, #1 most thankless job in all cyberspace
I don't understand how you guys do it, day after day, same old same old, and then have to listen to "he/she touched me 1st" and/or "my precious wisdom got zapped, just because I don't like the rules, it ain't FAIR !"

(hey, I am overdue for a few zaps myself, won't pretend otherwise)

stick to your guns !
NO politics, NO religion

PS
and thanks for the memories, expecting many more yet to come

If you enjoyed reading about "make it over, but stick to your guns, please !" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
hso
September 20, 2010, 09:48 AM
oldfool,

We've been through the flamewars due to polyticks and "my god is better than your god" (repeatedly) and learned our lesson. It took more than once, but we got it through our thick heads that even some of the best of folks loose it and turn into fire breathing monsters on those issues from time to time (too many others just stayed berserkers) and allowing folks to burn down the house over them just wasn't worth it.

Walkalong
September 20, 2010, 10:23 AM
Excellent post oldfool.

I don't like change as much as anyone, but change is inevitable. A few banners supporting RBKA? Who can fuss about that? Not I. If the commercials come because it's needed to keep THR going, so be it. I won't like it, but I'll understand it, and won't take my toys and go home like a five year old cry baby.

rondog
September 20, 2010, 10:28 AM
I can think of a certain 1911 forum that I don't even visit anymore because the ads are so thick, not to mention the draconian moderating and "my rules" mentality.

mongoose33
September 20, 2010, 10:30 AM
This site is *the* best forum I've ever been a member of, and part of the reason is the clean and uncluttered look and feel of the site.

It's a site about *information* not about how clever the programmer is w/r/t bells and whistles. Other sites seem focused on cramming as many ads on the site as possible, assaulting our senses with black, red, and other very bold colors that get in the way of easy visual use. Not so THR.

What you--and we--have here is, IMO, pretty unusual in cyberspace. There is what I'd consider a light touch w/r/t moderating, and mostly people stay on topic and respect each other.

This place truly is "The High Road" and I hope that whatever is planned will be tweaks. In my view, there's not much that's broken, so little must be fixed.

Sky
September 20, 2010, 10:35 AM
Yep well said. Who says age doesn't bring wisdom??

CoRoMo
September 20, 2010, 02:05 PM
We anticipcate some growing pains, but we think think in the long term the changes will improve THR.
At least you've thought twice about this. :rolleyes: And there isn't supposed to be a 'c' after the 'p' in 'anticipate'. :uhoh:

Kyle1886
September 20, 2010, 06:37 PM
One of the forums I used to frequent often recently upgraded to "vBulletin 4.0.5.". There were a few hic-ups in the transition but I think the major problems have been solved. I don't visit it as much since the upgrade because the font "appears" smaller than previous, also the pages "appears" more condensed or compact. Just too hard to read, for me. Hopefully, the new THR upgrade will not impact font size too much.

My old eyes have no problem with THR as far as text/background contrast and font size, as they are now. (The font size for THR and the other forum may be the same, however the text/background color make the text "appear" smaller to me).

I wish the staff the best of luck with any type of upgrade.

Respectfully,
Kyle

Derek Zeanah
September 20, 2010, 07:14 PM
Well, the transition to vBulletin 4.something will happen sooner or later, as eventually support for the 3.x branch (the one we're on) will disappear.

When that happens I hope you speak up about issues you have. At the very least, we should be able to create a "skin" for the site that had larger fonts. If it wasn't the default, it would be loaded when you logged in.

If you enjoyed reading about "make it over, but stick to your guns, please !" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!