Best Scope for a Marlin 1895SBL?

PDA

New Hunter
September 20, 2010, 03:22 PM
I picked up a Marlin 1985SBL Guide Gun and I am trying to figure out if it's a good idea to install See Thru Mounts below a Leopold 2-7X 33mm scope.

I want to bear hunt up in Lycoming County this year so I imagine I will only be shooting 30yds or less with all that brush up in the mountains.

I thought about using a Leopold Scout Scope 2 1/2 with medium QRW rings that are detachable but a friend suggested the see thru rings and that has me really confused.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

If you enjoyed reading about "Best Scope for a Marlin 1895SBL?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Robert
September 20, 2010, 03:32 PM
I have a Weaver K4 on my 1895G. See through rings always looked hinky to me. If you are looking at ranges inside of 100y do you really need a scope? I will be using my 1895G of Elk come November, due to the limited range of the 45-70 I am not taking shots outside of 200y*.

I imagine I will only be shooting 30yds or less
I'd just go with irons at this range.

*I know 45-70 has a range that is much farther than 200y.

waterhouse
September 20, 2010, 04:00 PM
If you want a scope, I'd go with (and did go with) the Leupold Scout Scope in QRW rings. I hate see though rings . . . poor cheek weld.

Robert
September 20, 2010, 04:10 PM
Dupe thread?
Asked it once already at 1:22, I answered at 1:32 and now a new thread at 1:34?
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=545069

Robert
September 20, 2010, 04:22 PM
No worries, I find something new almost every day. Welcome and enjoy!

chas08
September 20, 2010, 05:22 PM
I tried see through rings 30+ years ago when they were relatively new (at least to me) I Hated them, It put the scope way too high. You couldn't put your cheek on the stock and see through the scope. Either go with a low power scope or stick with Irons. I recently put a set of Williams 5D aperture sights on my Lever action 30/30 and I really like 'em

Badlander
September 20, 2010, 06:10 PM
Leupold Scout!!!

Badlander
September 20, 2010, 06:11 PM
Leupold scout. Again.

a-sheepdog
September 20, 2010, 06:39 PM
I have a leupold scout scope on my 45-70 and have been very happy with it.

PT1911
September 20, 2010, 06:42 PM
Choose a scope or irons, not both on such a platform. with the correct zero and range, you will be in the kill zone at any reasonable range. Choose the correct power scope, and it will be all the better...

When in doubt, say NO to see through rings.

slowr1der
September 20, 2010, 06:42 PM
It's all personal preference when it comes to see thru rings. I read about how horrible they are online, but I had several friends that use them and love them. A few said they'd never use another set of rings again. So I had to try them out. I used them, and while I think the idea is neat, it's not the greatest setup. For a hunting gun, it never caused any problems, however the above posters are right. When I got a good natural cheek weld I was looking down the iron sights. To look through the scope, I had to kind of lift my head up on the stock. Now they weren't horrible, but there weren't as nice as regular medium rings to me.

I'd probably not recommend them, and I know for a fact I'd not recommend them on any sort of target rifle. On a hunting rifle, they work, but aren't great. Are you really even going to ever use your irons once you put a scope on?

On the other hand some guys like them, I have a friend that just ordered another set of them for his 30-30 last week and he has them on two other guns. He loves them. Like I said, 3 other guys I hunt with have them and like them too, and a few friends that don't hunt with me have them and like them. I can only think of myself and one other friend that thinks they aren't very good. So it all just depends on your personal preference.

TexasRifleman
September 20, 2010, 07:37 PM
The OP, a new user, had a dupe.

But, since both had replies the 2 threads have been merged. So if you see any inconsistencies that's why.

September 20, 2010, 08:42 PM
I have a Leupold 1.5-5x on my SBL at the moment but I can certainly see the appeal of iron sights on these rifles. Once I have some loads dialed in, there's a good chance that I'll revert to irons.

http://128.171.62.162/hawthorn-engineering/thr/marlin/1895/sbl_gbl/sbl_galco.jpg

:)

Ridgerunner665
September 20, 2010, 08:47 PM
At 30 yards...I'd use the irons (or some peep sights)

If the day ever comes that I have to put a scope on my 1895, it will be a scout scope setup.

bubba15301
September 20, 2010, 10:58 PM
1.75x5 burris has 4 in eye relief

geologist
September 20, 2010, 11:59 PM
I went with a Leupold FXII 2.5x. It's great and shoots 1.5"at 100 yards, easy.

I went with low Burris QD rings but would have prefered Warnes.

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i155/pbgeologist/P9060013.jpg

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i155/pbgeologist/P9060014.jpg

rhendrix
October 30, 2010, 04:18 PM
I too shoot the SBL and I put a Burris 2.75 Scout on mine. I hunt in east TN for deer, bear, and hogs and it is pretty brushy here too. Most shots are under 100 yards but like you my eyes are not quite what they once were and the quick point ability with both eyes open that you get with a scout scope really helps out even on shorter shots and works very well for those rare shots up to 200 yards.

Maverick223
October 30, 2010, 05:14 PM
When in doubt, say NO to see through rings.Amen! I do, however, like QR style rings on rifles equipped with irons.

I am either going to purchase a 1895 STP-LTD or the SBL in the near future (leaning towards the former) and plan to put a Kahles 2-7x32mm on it. This optic has what I consider to be ideal magnification for my use, but the eye relief is limited and may not be sufficient for some folks. If I were limited to 30yds., I would without a doubt stick with a 1x optic (or just irons).

:)

If you enjoyed reading about "Best Scope for a Marlin 1895SBL?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!