When do you consider a new magazine "proven"?

PDA

lions
September 20, 2010, 09:59 PM
Imagine the gun of your choice which you have previously proven to be reliable with whatever procedure you subscribe to. You buy a new magazine for said gun and are looking to incorporate it into an EDC/HD role. When would you consider that magazine acceptably reliable for serious use?

A certain number of rounds fired?
A certain number of full magazines emptied regardless of capacity?
Something else entirely?

Interested to hear the opinions of THR. Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "When do you consider a new magazine "proven"?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
possum
September 21, 2010, 12:09 AM
i normally shoot 500rds minimum in a gun before i think it is reliable enough to carry more often than that it is 1k or more of fmj, and then the SD ammo that i am going to be carrying. I use the magazines that i am going to carry during this initial phase of testing to get as much use with the 2-3 magazines as possible. once the gun has proven itself and the mags too, i carry the gun with those magazines, and use training magazines for the range.

ScratchnDent
September 21, 2010, 12:30 AM
If the gun is already proven, I take the new mags to the range and shoot enough practice ammo to get the gun good and dirty, say 150-200 rounds, then run 3 or 4 magazines of defense ammo through them, with at least a couple mags fired from support hand only. (I only ever seem to have feeding problems show up when firing from my support hand)

After that, I consider them good. I make a habit of firing all the ammo out of my defense mags and replacing it about once per month to 6 weeks, mostly as a mag function check.

Nasty
September 21, 2010, 07:37 AM
Never...that's why you practice clearing drills.

If you enjoyed reading about "When do you consider a new magazine "proven"?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!