Mods on C&R weapons?


December 13, 2003, 09:03 PM
Is it legal to do that with a weapon bought as a C&R?

I just sent in the papers for my C&R, and I'm planning on getting at least one of those Yugo SKS's.

If it's legal to make modifications, I'd love to get one of the like new ones to have a nice one in original shape, and then get one of the shooter grade ones and accessorize/tacticalize it. Because the more evil it looks, the more it annoys the VPC. :evil:

If you enjoyed reading about "Mods on C&R weapons?" here in archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join today for the full version!
December 13, 2003, 09:14 PM
Yes, you can modify C&R guns. Once changed from their original configuration, they lose their C&R status. In addition, for imported C&Rs, you may not make any modifications that would make the gun illegal for importation. You might want to read "What can I do to my SKS rifle?" ( .

December 13, 2003, 09:18 PM
Just to make your life easy....................leave the Yugo SKS bone stock.

Stick to a nice modified Mauser or Mosin Nagent or something legally easier to define.

Just some friendly advice before you start to develop the legal headache when researching SKS legalities.


December 14, 2003, 12:35 AM
If you really want to annoy the VPC, get a SAR1 and a big box of 40 round mags. To them, the AK is like holy water to a vampire.

December 14, 2003, 12:44 AM
In relation to your question, and it being in the grey, yes, you can change out the fixed mag to a detachable setup.

Yes, it loses it's C&R status.

Yes, you must log out your SKS as such, with the anotation of "modified".

Yugo's and others are considered "pre-ban" (damn, I hate that sound) and you can modify, but you must log them in as a C&R and then log them back out as "modified". The same goes if you put a new stock on a Nagant, or a Kraig, or any other rifle (or pistol) (the stock is a "sporter type" or not the original).

You can cut down a barrel to a legal length (18" compared to the original 22 or higher) and even take down the stock, as long as it mets the 26" rule. But, it is no longer a C&R and you must note it as so.


December 14, 2003, 04:14 PM
I hadn't really planned on doing anything seriously drastic to an SKS...definitely not going for one of the extended magazines. What I had in mind was more along the lines of putting on a ATI Fiberforce stock, aperature sights, maybe a cheap red-dot.

So...if I get a C&R rifle, say a Mosin M38, and replace the rear sight with an aperture and put on a scope mount, I log it in the book as "modified" and if at some point in the future I decide to sell it, it goes as a normal rifle, not a C&R.

December 14, 2003, 05:19 PM
As long as you keep the original parts and make no permanent changes (like chopping off the barrel), the gun can be considered a C&R and left in your bound book. The same applies to selling it. With the original parts, it can be sold as a C&R. Otherwise, it is a modern firearm.

If you enjoyed reading about "Mods on C&R weapons?" here in archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join today for the full version!