Meprolights vs Trijicons...

PDA

piece of meat
September 21, 2010, 01:47 AM
noticed something that made me wonder if there is something off with a set of nightsights i got. a few months ago i ordered and got installed a set of Meprolights (Tru glo's) for my CZ; they were the only night sights i had, and i was impressed with the big glowing green dots in the dark.
recently i picked up a XD that came with night sights- they turned out to be Trijicons. upon initial inspection (in bright light) the first thing i noticed was that they were small compared to the meprolights. but then when the lights were turned out and...

the Trijicons absolutely destroyed the Meprolights as far as brightness.

initially when i saw the mepros on my CZ, they were impressive, but now comparatively, they look like unimpressive dim bulbs. the Trijicons on the xd- though smaller in size- are so much brighter its not even funny.
not only that, the white circle surrounding them is far brighter as well. even here with a flourescent light on them, the mepros look like faint blobs, but i can still see the glow of the trijicons as well as the strongly contrasting white circle around them.

i dont know if my Mepros are already dimming (they shouldnt be, considering they supposedly last 10 years), but if they are not then to anyone looking for night sights, i would STRONGLY recommend the Trijicons.

If you enjoyed reading about "Meprolights vs Trijicons..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
REAPER4206969
September 21, 2010, 02:08 AM
Meprolight lamps use an acrylic, convex window to create large "glowing orbs." Trijicon lamps use a precision cut sapphire crystal to create sharp, bright dots.

http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/opticsplanet/sg-info.jpg

MrIzhevsk
September 21, 2010, 02:35 AM
I have a question somewhat related to this. I have a Jericho, and I've looked up different night sights just as a thought, and I've noticed that both Meprolight and Trijicon make night sights. But does it really matter which I go with? The ones I have on there are somewhat "novak" ramped style. If I buy a set of night sights, can I have a gun smith just fit them to the gun?

CPshooter
September 21, 2010, 03:05 AM
I personally like the spacing and alignment of the Meprolights myself and tend to shoot them more accurately and align them more quickly. True, the Trijicons provide a brighter and more precision (but smaller) dot when the lights are off, but during daylight and semi-dark conditions where the sights are still visible, I think the Meprolights still offer a better sight picture. I've owned two sets of Trijicons. One was on a Kahr pm9 and the other was on a Glock 27. I honestly didn't like them. On the other hand, I have a H&K P2000sk that came as a LEO package (Meps came on them) and I absolutely love them.

You can't really go wrong with either if you're looking for a 3-dot night sight, but when you factor in all possible light conditions I think the Meps come out on top.

Just my 2 cents...

gb6491
September 21, 2010, 05:05 AM
I suspect you have a set of faulty or old Meprolights.
Here is a shot (taken in a dark room) of my CW45 slide with Trijicons (left) and my G27 slide with Meprolights:
http://i55.tinypic.com/28lxfro.jpg
As others mentioned, the Trijicons give a slightly brighter and more precise dot, but (IMO) they hardly destroy the Meprolights in regards to brightness.
I find both to be quality sights and totally adequate in the dark, but I tend to agree with CPshooter in that "I think the Meprolights still offer a better sight picture" in all light conditions.
Regards,
Greg

legion3
September 21, 2010, 06:46 AM
I prefer the Meprolights as well, the day white rings are much easier to see, and I disagree with the statement that trjicons are brighter at night.

I have 3 different types on current carry guns (Meps, Glock factory and Trij's) While I won't be taking the trjicons off they are definately not worth the extra money that it costs to have them installed over MEPS.

Glock factory sights seem closer to Mep's.

Both work and work well but around here its like $80 for meps installed and $100 or more for trijicons.

Ameriglo's :barf: did not like them at all.

REAPER4206969
September 21, 2010, 06:56 AM
Glock factory sights seem closer to Mep's.
Glock NS's use Meprolight lamps. There are only two producers of tritium lamps for firearm sights. Trijicon in the U.S., and Meprolight in Israel.

September 21, 2010, 06:59 AM
My Kimber Tactical Entry II and SIG P220 Combat came with Meprolight MH3 night sights and I couldn't be happier with them, day or night. SIG calls them SIGLITEŽ Night Sights but they're stamped MH3. They seem to be plenty bright in the dark. I'll be upgrading four other SIGs to Meprolight sights as well ... time to buy a SIG sight adjustment tool I guess.

:)

usp9
September 21, 2010, 09:03 AM
My vote goes to Mepro. I like the larger sight dot, which is easier to pick up in lighted as well as dim conditions for me. The larger dot is simply kinder to my aging eyes. Brightness seems to be equal between the brands, IMHO.

Left -Mepro, Right - Trijicon
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i186/ripley16/comparesights003.jpg

foxmoor
September 21, 2010, 03:17 PM
I've had both and prefer the Trijicons. I find their white ring easier to see in daylight than the Meps and they're about equal in dim/dark situations. Of course, I'm possibly swayed by the fact that Trijicon is just down the road a bit here in Michigan. Just my $0.02............

Kent in MI

P97
September 21, 2010, 03:21 PM
I researched both and looked at guns with both before going with Trijicon on my CCW. I'm very happy with it, and also the fact that they are made in USA. My CCW was also made in USA.

gofastman
September 21, 2010, 05:28 PM
sounds like 6 of one, half a dozen of the other.
I like Meps better, especially in brighter conditions.

Marshall
September 21, 2010, 08:42 PM
My preference is Trijicon. They seem sharper, to me.

September 21, 2010, 08:52 PM

Meprolight specifically states ...

"Front dots are deliberately brighter than rear dots, encouraging focus on front sight and beyond."

.... just a thought.

gofastman
September 21, 2010, 09:27 PM
Meprolight specifically states ...

"Front dots are deliberately brighter than rear dots, encouraging focus on front sight and beyond."

.... just a thought.
I was thinking the same thing, I like that philosophy too.
the rear sights on the trijicons in gb6491 picture certainly look a tad brighter.

DustyVermonter
September 21, 2010, 09:50 PM
I want to eventually get some Triji's on my G26, other than that I'm pretty much a box stock plain jane kind of guy.

Hoppin over into that other realm of thinking, night-sites could give away one's position couldn't it?

Also, I'm thinking that in a situation as stressful and unsettling as drawing your weapon to take another life, I don't think I'd have the presence of mind to line up my sites, at that point I think I'd be shooting to point of aim.

I would love to have a set of iron triji's on my AR and my Saiga though.

BTW, @ USP9, what kind of guns are those in the pic? They look kind of like Glock but the slide cover plates look different, although the non-stock ones vary in appearance.

REAPER4206969
September 22, 2010, 12:01 AM
Kahr?

usp9
September 22, 2010, 06:42 AM
Kahr?

Yes. A K9 on the left, a P9 on the right. Since the picture was taken the P9's 9 or 10year old Trijicons have been replaced by a new set of Mepros.

As an aside; The Trijicons were still usable after 9 years. They were dimmed, but I could still easily see them, but I prefer the Mepros so I replaced them a bit earlier than necessary.

My understanding concerning tritium is that it is what it is, universally the same, so that brightness is a factor of age, not brand. Vial size, tube size, and color are the qualities that affect perception of visual acuity . At least that's what I thought...

bannockburn
September 22, 2010, 07:16 AM
Count me as another vote in favor of Trijicons. I also like the bright ring for easy sight aquisition in the daylight.

jsbethel
September 25, 2010, 11:46 AM
The cheapass in me likes the fact that at the end of their usable life, Trijicons can be relamped by the factory for $18 a lamp. Most people probably don't think that far ahead but it is a factor to consider since Meprolight does not offer the same service. I sent a set in for this service a few weeks ago and the sights came back looking like new.

skimbell
September 25, 2010, 12:15 PM
I went with Trijicon when I refinished/modified this gun because Trijicon is the only place I could find a sight cut for this weapon.
I have another gun with Meprolights and they're good too, but I prefer the Trij's.

http://i629.photobucket.com/albums/uu20/skimbell/CCO/P7150010.jpg

KBintheSLC
September 25, 2010, 01:43 PM
I had the same experience as the OP. I have Mepro's on my G26 and Trij on my G20. The Mepro's are much less bright. They are still nice, just more dim. Actually, they are the least bright of any brand of night sight I have in my safe.

Also, I'm thinking that in a situation as stressful and unsettling as drawing your weapon to take another life, I don't think I'd have the presence of mind to line up my sites, at that point I think I'd be shooting to point of aim.

That is a bit of a contradiction. I mean, how can you shoot to "point of aim" if you don't bother to aim?

orionengnr
September 25, 2010, 02:02 PM
[thread drift]Also, I'm thinking that in a situation as stressful and unsettling as drawing your weapon to take another life...
As a point of order, I am not drawing my weapon to take another life. I am drawing the weapon to protect my life. One is murder, the other is self defense.

Words mean things...

[/thread drift]

Dot_mdb
September 26, 2010, 04:05 AM
The cheapass in me likes the fact that at the end of their usable life, Trijicons can be relamped by the factory for $18 a lamp. Most people probably don't think that far ahead but it is a factor to consider since Meprolight does not offer the same service. I sent a set in for this service a few weeks ago and the sights came back looking like new.

+1. I have both and the replacement factor tips the balance in favor of the Trijs. Both are useable so why not get the replacement advantage? That is an especially nice feature when you are buying a used gun.

Bill

gatopardo
September 26, 2010, 05:13 AM
This one wins:
http://ninjalawncare.biz/sensorycue/images/Keltecpf9.JPG
When i see a real photo in dim conditions like this one( not complete darkness, not photoshoped, in good focus ) not illustrations maybe I'll believe, in the meantime a growing demand for Glow-On.com super phosphorescent tells me otherwise.
Gato

September 26, 2010, 06:41 PM
I just ordered a set of Trijicon night sights (SG01) for one of my SIG P225s. Since I have two sets of Meprolights, I figure why not try something different to decide for myself which brand I prefer. I don't have a problem with the factory P225 sights during the day so I'm confident that the Trijicons aren't going to be a step backwards for daylight shooting. One thing I was sure about, I wasn't going to pay extra for the Novak version. It's important to me for a carry pistol that I can rack the slide using the rear sights on a belt, pocket or hard surface ... kind of tough to do with the Novak sights.

chicharrones
September 27, 2010, 07:20 PM
This one wins:
When i see a real photo in dim conditions like this one( not complete darkness, not photoshoped, in good focus ) not illustrations maybe I'll believe, in the meantime a growing demand for Glow-On.com super phosphorescent tells me otherwise.
Gato

If I had a situation where I could keep my gun next to a lamp of some sort, that would be great. :)

In my applications, my guns are kept in pitch black "storage" and the only solution for me is tritium or lasers. :cool:

I'll give it to you though, tritium seems really dim compared to other night sighting methods.

WRGADog
September 27, 2010, 08:11 PM
Tru Glo TFO's. I have trijicons on a couple of my guns, I also have the factory Sig night sights, and Glock night sights, none of these can touch the TFO's for brightness.

Four Knives
September 27, 2010, 08:22 PM
As others mentioned, the Trijicons give a slightly brighter and more precise dot, but (IMO) they hardly destroy the Meprolights in regards to brightness.
I find both to be quality sights and totally adequate in the dark, but I tend to agree with CPshooter in that "I think the Meprolights still offer a better sight picture" in all light conditions.
Regards,
Greg

I am as anal retentive as they come and stressed over which to buy for weeks.

I went to Glockmeister in Mesa, AZ and literally compared the Mepros and Trijis side by side in their darkroom (bathroom) :).

I found the trijis to be 'crisper' while the Mepros were 'fuzzier'.

Both were equally bright to my eye.

I chose the Trijis, but have regretted it.

As previously stated, the Trijicons have much less of a white ring around them .

The mepros have a thicker white ring around the insert, and for me at least allow for better pickup during 99% of my shooting (daylight or indoor range)

The mepros were not so fuzzy as to be an issue, and in a nighttime defense encounter, I don't need 75 yard precision with my handgun.

I will choose Meprolight from here on out. I did have a Sig239 with Tru Glo TFOs, but didn't particularly like the cost or size, and although I found them to be like glowsticks in medium to strong ambient light, as a night sight, I found the tubes to sap too much of the tritium glow.

My opinion in summary:
Mepros

About $20-30 less expensive than Trijicons
Larger white ring around the insert allowing for better all around sight acquisition

sohcgt2
September 28, 2010, 08:12 PM
If you aim small you miss small, I'll take the trijicons.

Vitrophyre
September 28, 2010, 08:28 PM
I own both triji and mepros. I can guarantee you'll be completely satisfied with either.

September 28, 2010, 09:37 PM
I chose the Trijis, but have regretted it.

As previously stated, the Trijicons have much less of a white ring around them .

The mepros have a thicker white ring around the insert, and for me at least allow for better pickup during 99% of my shooting (daylight or indoor range)

So out of interest, how do/did you do with the factory sights during daylight shooting? Are the Trijicon night sights a step backwards for you compared to the factory sights for daylight shooting? :confused:

wriggly
September 29, 2010, 02:12 AM
The only problem with Trijicons, is that the white rings are "Painted" on the surface, and oil or solvents can and will attack the paint and remove it if you are not carefull. The meps rings are not painted but a polymer and do not have any such concerns about the white rings coming off after exposure to cleaning solvents.

Full Metal Jacket
September 29, 2010, 03:04 AM
I went to Glockmeister in Mesa, AZ and literally compared the Mepros and Trijis side by side in their darkroom (bathroom)

i hope i don't get those particular sites when i go to order some.....:eek:

i had trijis on a glock. they glowed bright in darkness, but the thin white circle around the lamps made them very hard to see at the indoor range i shoot at.

If you enjoyed reading about "Meprolights vs Trijicons..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!