irresponsible gun use

PDA

taliv
September 21, 2010, 12:11 PM
as posted on /.

"Google has revealed that aerial fiber links to its data center in Oregon were 'regularly' shot down by hunters, forcing the company to put its cables underground. Hunters were reportedly trying to hit insulators on electricity distribution poles, which also hosted aerially-deployed fiber connected to Google's $600 million data center in The Dalles. 'I have yet to see them actually hit the insulator, but they regularly shoot down the fibre,' Google's network engineering manager Vijay Gill told a conference in Australia. 'Every November when hunting season starts invariably we know that the fiber will be shot down, so much so that we are now building an underground path [for it].'"

amazing. I've never understood why people feel the need to destroy public and private property, shoot stop signs, power lines, etc. Nevermind the danger of shooting up in the air with no backstop.

If you enjoyed reading about "irresponsible gun use" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
hso
September 21, 2010, 12:19 PM
It only takes a few morons with guns to have the public think we need to be managed.

Sky
September 21, 2010, 12:28 PM
Yep probably teens but not necessarily so. Had a friend who put Cherry Bombs in mail boxes for something to do one night. He said he wanted to make them look pregnant to the arresting officer. Think he (his daddy) had to buy a few new mail boxes and he was on probation for 2? years.

Same guy was always a problem child and ended up being a Felon.

Just seems like there are those who lack the ability to respect other people's property. Been that way since the human race got away from living in small tribes; probably? In a small tribe mess with someones stuff and your name and reputation for being a dirt bag spread quickly followed by getting your posterior or other parts of your body messed with by others.

Strictly speculation on my part.

rondog
September 21, 2010, 01:14 PM
I'm 54, and I remember as a kid in rural western Oklahoma, seeing little triangular shaped signs hanging on overhead cables that said "please do not shoot at wires". Folks have been popping at insulators since they were invented.

Here in CO, I know of a nice scenic overlook with some information boards giving history of the area. Last time I was there, someone had blasted about 10 big holes in the info boards with a 12ga., it was sad to see.

ccjcc81
September 21, 2010, 02:03 PM
Maybe there were some turkeys up there!

SleazyRider
September 21, 2010, 02:07 PM
Hunters? I doubt it. Vandals, perhaps.

jleyring
September 21, 2010, 02:08 PM
I dont like how they say is is Hunters. I could just be a few morons with there rifles thinkin they are funny. Do they actually have the proof that it is a person who is hunting. When im hunting I dont shoot my rifle at stupid things just for the fun of it. The shot could scare game away.

Sam1911
September 21, 2010, 02:19 PM
I visited the Abby Aldrich Rockefeller Folk Art Museum in Williamsburg, VA this weekend. Among the displays was an extensive collection of hand-made brass, tin, copper, iron, etc. weather vanes. Many of them were quite intricate and showed a lot of maker's care and attention to detail.

Probably 30% of them were heavily riddled with bullet and shot holes.

Even though a number of those holes were probably fired from muzzle-loading weapons before my grandfathers were born, I still felt ashamed at the waste and stupidity.

(Of course, my own office ceiling includes boards which show distinct shot patterns from where farmers shot snakes and pigeons off the timbers of their own barns ... from the inside. "Smart" just doesn't seem to be a common denominator of humanity.)

lions
September 21, 2010, 02:35 PM
"Smart" just doesn't seem to be a common denominator of humanity.

Just remember that half the population is below average intelligence, and average just isn't that smart.

When I last visited my family in Ohio we drove out to see where Pretty Boy Floyd was killed and captured. There was a nice sign with a brief overview of the events that led up to that day, but of course it was full of bullet holes.

In every group there are some who seem determined to ruin things for everyone.

msgunner
September 21, 2010, 02:48 PM
Exactly what gun owners don't need, more bad press

DoubleTapDrew
September 21, 2010, 03:24 PM
Hunters? I doubt it. Vandals, perhaps.
+1 They are vandals. That's not hunting. A few years back there was a $1,000 reward for info leading to the arrest of vandals who shot a cell tower in Oregon.
If it's always in November I wonder if it would be cheaper to hire a rent-a-cop to babysit the lines for a month rather than burying lines.

Hatterasguy
September 21, 2010, 03:55 PM
You have to remember that at least half of the country is made up of morons, as a result you get this.

oneounceload
September 21, 2010, 04:14 PM
When I lived in Carson City, we had a public shooting park - no fees, tax-dollars paid for it, no range personnel. Over 30 ambi-shooting benches for rifle, an open area for silhouette/Hi-power, a separate covered area for pistols and a third zone for machine guns, etc.

Every week there were some yahoos who would try to blast the 4X4 and 6X6 posts that held the roof structures up; folks would blast holes in the roofs, shoot the concrete block legs of the benches, etc. Since it was also on the other side of a mountain from the city dump, others too cheap to pay for the dump would bring their trash and either leave it all over, or find something "fun" to shoot at - like skis, television sets, LOTS of glass bottles, etc.

It took several years before they finally put a porta-can out there, and yes some yahoos shot that all to hell also.

Now, to me, there's nothing more fun that watching a tin can bounce along the ground as you hit it with a .22 - but when you're done, pick it up and put it in the trash can.

Glass, unless it is on your own personal property is a no-no. Thankfully we had a very active boy scout group who would clean the range up once a month and earn some badges for it.

It only takes ONE butt head to make ALL of us look like retards.

SleazyRider
September 21, 2010, 04:23 PM
Though I'm sure you meant no harm, Oneounceload, retards is hardly a fair description. My daughter is mentally retarded, with Downs Syndrome, and I assure you she would not shoot up a public place like that. They are vandals, and not to be confused with those having mental disabilities.

I share your anger and frustration.

SleazyRider
September 21, 2010, 04:26 PM
"You have to remember that at least half of the country is made up of morons, as a result you get this."

Whew, that's a pretty strong indictment of your fellow man, no? Sure hope you're wrong.

Fishslayer
September 21, 2010, 04:47 PM
Whew, that's a pretty strong indictment of your fellow man, no? Sure hope you're wrong.

I don't think he is. Have you seen what's popular on TV lately?:uhoh:

oneounceload
September 21, 2010, 04:49 PM
You're right sleazy - but the term I REALLY wanted to use would never make it through the censor - you have my apology

KBintheSLC
September 21, 2010, 04:56 PM
This is why "gun control" got started in the first place. 99.9% of us are decent and responsible gun owners, and the remaining 0.1% are complete d-bags. Sadly, it is the 0.1% that tend to make the news, as the bulk of us are generally unremarkable.

oldbanjo
September 21, 2010, 04:59 PM
Overall the hunters are pretty good people, but some do more drinking than hunting. I saw a couple of hunters sighting a 30 30 and a 30 06 rifle, they were shooting towards I 95. I said something to them about the direction that they were shooting, it did no good. They owned the land (farmers) and they continued to shoot. When they removed the target there was a big hole in the tree from many years of shooting. You could see the cars thu the hole. I just figured out what their problem is, years ago I 95 cut their farm into two pieces and the family is still mad about it. I've seen them shoot from both sides toward the Interstate. It has cost them a lot of money in fuel to have to travel around 4 miles with tractors and other equip to farm their property.

QuietEarp
September 21, 2010, 05:12 PM
Yeah, some people just don't have any sense of decency. I visited the Taj Mahal a few years ago and some people actually thought that scratching their names on the walls was somehow a good idea. Like we all came there to see the where the great "Derek" scrawled his name with a pocket knife.
Shooting a gun at other people's stuff is stupid and dangerous and shows a great disrespect. It also reflects badly upon other gun owners. I agree that these were probably not hunters.

TNboy
September 21, 2010, 05:17 PM
I know Google is an anti gun company, wonder if that is why they are publicizing this so much, I rarely hear about other companies raising a stink about such things. Not saying it's right by any means though.

DKeener
September 21, 2010, 05:21 PM
"Vandal" is the correct word. Remember that half the people you meet in life are below average.

Dennis

dmancornell
September 21, 2010, 08:27 PM
I'm actually surprised at the commentary on /.

I knew /. would be anti-gun but that is worse than anything I've seen in a while. Goddamned elitists.

Deltaboy
September 21, 2010, 08:34 PM
VANDALS are bad for us all!

Uhrmacher
September 21, 2010, 10:01 PM
I'm actually surprised at the commentary on /.

I knew /. would be anti-gun but that is worse than anything I've seen in a while. Goddamned elitists.Actually /. is usually pretty pro-gun in my experience. I think the fact that this article was posted so early in the morning our time meant a lot of European commenters, including quite a few who unfortunately decided to attack the evil uncivilized American gun culture which apparently consists entirely of clueless drunken hicks. It was very frustrating to wake up and read that kind of drivel without time to write a proper reply. :banghead:

COMPNOR
September 21, 2010, 10:22 PM
What's with the / ?? Is that an automatic censor, something we're suppose to use and not some evil company's name? Couldn't find anything about it in the search.

gofastman
September 21, 2010, 10:24 PM
didn't some ass shot a hole in the Alaska pipeline a few years (decades?) ago?

I thought my uncle said something about it causing a whole bunch of environmental damage

Uhrmacher
September 21, 2010, 10:29 PM
COMPNOR: It's shorthand for a science and technology site called slashdot.

COMPNOR
September 21, 2010, 10:32 PM
makes sense. thanks

Hatterasguy
September 21, 2010, 10:34 PM
"You have to remember that at least half of the country is made up of morons, as a result you get this."

Nope if anything I think I underestimated it. Everyday I live my statement seems to be proven more correct.

fatelk
September 21, 2010, 10:36 PM
A couple photos I took recently of a high voltage power line, also in Oregon (not that it doesn't happen everywhere). It seems incredibly stupid to me to shoot at something like that.

This is one of my personal pet peeves. The world is full of people who have absolutely no regard for anyone else or other people's property. I like to shoot on public land and it infuriates me to see shot-up TVs and stuff. I hope it's a very small percentage of shooters who do this kind of stuff.

I was raised different. Never once have I thrown a paper cup or soda can from a car. Why do people think this is OK? I'm guessing that their parents were also idiots who never taught them any better.

I've never considered myself to be an environmentalist but as I get older I've come to realize that growing up on a farm taught me to be much more of a "practical environmentalist" than 95% of city folks.
We reused everything because we were cheap, and grandpa lived through the '30s. We didn't know we were recycling. We even recycled cow manure on the garden.
We lived cheap and saved up when we wanted to buy something. Our "carbon footprint" was very small. Saving mother earth? No, just being frugal. Probably had something to do with Grandpa and the 1930s.
Occasionally junk would get dumped on our property and we had to clean it up. Do city folks think that if you dump it in the country it magically disappears?

Hanzo581
September 21, 2010, 10:37 PM
Vandalism happens everywhere, they use a variety of objects to destroy things...a firearm is just one of them.

Mt Shooter
September 21, 2010, 10:46 PM
I dont belive hunting season is open there yet, maybe archery. So was it "hunters" or vandals?

taliv
September 21, 2010, 10:53 PM
What's with the / ?? Is that an automatic censor, something we're suppose to use and not some evil company's name? Couldn't find anything about it in the search.

sorry, "/." is old unix computer jargon. it's pronounced "slash dot" and one of the original tech blogs named themselves after it. http://slashdot.org it is commonly referred to as /.

afaik, having read /. daily for over ten years, they have no bias against guns. but their news/blogs are contributed by their members, sorta like if every post here was reviewed by mods before being published. so naturally, some of their members may be anti-gun and submit posts that shows their bias.

Carl N. Brown
September 21, 2010, 10:57 PM
As I recall, the Roman Empire had a big problem with Vandals. Vandals are vandals whether they destroy stuff with guns, cherry bombs, baseball bats or cars, but irresponsible gunshots have potential of collateral damage. Such as public perception of gun owners in general. But gun vandalism is more about the psyche of the vandal than the psyche of the gun owner.

I recall reading in high school that when the 200 inch pyrex mirror for the Hale Telescope at Mt Palomar Observatory (San Diego) was shipped cross country by rail from Corning Glassworks in New York to Pasadena California, it was encased in armor plate based on the certain knowledge it would be a tempting target for random plinkers along the way. Gun vandalism is not a new phenomenon.

Prion
September 21, 2010, 11:04 PM
People in my neck of the woods shoot up all the road signs. Scary thing is that there are often farms and homes in the firing line of these shot up road signs. The area is rural but not vacant. I personally want to pistol whip these fools.

L.Puckett
September 21, 2010, 11:08 PM
Taliv,

Amazing how some people cease to think with a gun in hand, albiet the majority of those generally exhibit little sense most all the time.

Early this month (Sep) some brilliant thinking dove hunters decided to flush the doves and wait for them to set down on the aerial cables here in Middle TN, then they shot the heck out of them. Figured that you might have seen it on Nashville news.

Results were = 4 counties without TV, Internet, Cable phone, and oh yeh, the cell phones are carried to the towers via cable also.

Cost = 1 small length (500 ft) of optical fiber (mainline) 10K+. The labor for all that crew for 3 days is still unknown.

Long story short, we (consumers) normally pay the bill in the end:cuss:. Although this time they were still wearing the cable out as the initial cable crews arrived in the area:what:.

FYI,

LP

Carl N. Brown
September 21, 2010, 11:34 PM
I was taught to never shoot at birds on a wire, or at poles, signs, insulators. Fire at a legitimate intended target, but be responsible enough to think through the consequences and avoid unintended damage.

The mindset of people who vandalise mailboxes escapes me.

wlewisiii
September 21, 2010, 11:54 PM
My main hobby is photography. I have a cemetery that I've been shooting year round for a couple of years now. Last time I was there a sign saying there was a bounty on vandals had been shot with 00 buck. <deleted -- Sam>

medalguy
September 22, 2010, 03:35 AM
I live in New Mexico and we have a lot of BLM land around here. One area is designated as a hike and bike trail and runs along a ridgeline for several miles. The surrounding area is frequently used for shooting activities, fine and good. But the hills near the hike/bike trails have very prominent "NO SHOOTING" signs posted frequently along the road facing the trail area. Now, there are thousands, no, many thousands, of acres of land that are very well suited for target shooting across the road. But where is the best place to pick up brass? Right around the NO SHOOTING signs, of course. I guess it's just a matter of time until the BLM closes the whole area to shooting. All it takes is a couple of "idjits" to ruin it for everyone.

TheAmplifiedsoul
September 22, 2010, 08:02 AM
I used to live really close to this old graveyard. All the graves were unmarked except for one. Mattie Earp. Wyatt Earp's first wife. I used to go out there with friends. One day we showed up and her grave marker was shot up with birdshot. I couldn't believe someone would do that. Eventually someone replaced the marker and also moved the location so no one would try to dig her up since it was not too long after Tombstone came out and people would actually know who she was.

Old Shooter
September 22, 2010, 08:49 AM
Quote:

Nope if anything I think I underestimated it. Everyday I live my statement seems to be proven more correct.

It's a fact. Half the people are going to be below average intelligence. Of course the other half, to which we all belong, will be of above average intelligence!

I do love the shot up signs directly in line with houses, roadways, etc. It's a wonder to me that they knew which end of the gun to point at the sign.

bhp9mm
September 22, 2010, 09:48 AM
people that do stuff like this need to go to jail they make gun owners look bad and must gun owners are good people but a few idoits make you look bad

esquare
September 22, 2010, 10:17 AM
The truth is the google should have buried that line from day one if they wanted that link to stay up. There are plenty of other things that will down a fiber line on a pole (especially through the forests of Oregon).

Of course, that definitely does not excuse what these people are doing. It's not only destructive but very dangerous to other hunters.

SSN Vet
September 22, 2010, 10:33 AM
note the political tone of calling them hunters....

I would wager that they are actually:

1. vandals, under the age of 21, out for the sole purpose of getting their kicks damaging property.

or ...

2. Ludites, purposefully targeting Googles infra-structure to advance their anti-technology agenda.

Did they have a hunting license?

Did they tag and remove game?

If no... then they are not hunters.

I suspect that their choice of words is deliberately misleading.

Jonah71
September 22, 2010, 11:28 AM
After leaving a local range for the first time, I pulled up tp the stop sign at the highway and saw that it was shot full of holes. What kind of an idiot shoots at a stop sign just a few hundred yards from the range? Shooting accross 2 lanes of traffic even!! I have been shooting since I was nine (almost 50 years) and NEVER shot at a road sign. That's about as irresponsible as it gets imo.

easyg
September 22, 2010, 11:54 AM
Clearly, there are quite a few hunters on this forum who take offense at the notion that those who were shooting the line could be also be hunters.

Well, considering this remark from the original post....
'Every November when hunting season starts invariably we know that the fiber will be shot down, so much so that we are now building an underground path
It would seem that hunters are in fact the ones shooting the line down.

Vandals vandalize year round....there is no "vandalization season".
But if the line is being shot down only in November, at the start of hunting season, then it's too big of a coincidence for it to not be hunters.

I know that most hunters are law abiding and gun safe folks, but certainly not all.

fatelk
September 22, 2010, 12:15 PM
I suspect it to be vandals who happen to be hunting. The hunting brings them out into the woods, but they are still vandals who have no respect for others property.

Speaking of road signs, a friend of mine who lives out in the country had some neighbors down the road (teenage boys who recently moved there from Portland) who thought it fun to shoot a nearby road sign across the road. Another neighbor warned them about it, then a sheriffs deputy warned them, then my friend found a .22 bullet hole in the hind quarter of one of his horses. The horse pasture was at an angle to the sign, and the dents in the sign clearly show the bullets ricocheted that direction. They had also used a 30-06, and there are houses through the woods behind the sign.

He called the police to report it, and the older of the two boys just turned 18 and now has a felony (I think) arrest record. It's too bad it had to come to that, but what else can you do?

oldbanjo
September 22, 2010, 12:44 PM
The people around here thank that if they are on their own land they can do anything that they please. I am the only one that uses backstops when shooting.

easyg
September 22, 2010, 12:53 PM
I suspect it to be vandals who happen to be hunting.
Or hunters who happen to be vandalizing. ;)

mbt2001
September 22, 2010, 12:57 PM
guns are a study in cause and effect. You have it, you see something, you shoot. That cannot be undone. I am sure that people that shoot stop signs think it was stupid when they finished. The cause and effect needs to be learned though, so better stop signs than most other things.

searcher451
September 22, 2010, 02:43 PM
The electronic road signs warning of ice, snow, chain requirements, road blockages, etc., during the winter months in the Santiam Pass in Central Oregon are routinely shot out by passing motorists who stick their handguns out the window and let 'er fly as they are driving by -- happens two to three a season, I'm told (from a couple of sources at the state's Department of Transportation insiders.)

I don't think that this is an Oregon phenomonon, but it does point out some issues here.

And we wonder why some people get upset about guns and gun owners.

BruceB
September 23, 2010, 01:54 AM
Humboldt County in northern Nevada recently built a new and quite elaborate outdoor range, largely because the County Commissioners perceived the pressing need for such a facility in this area where shooting and hunting are extremely popular activities.

The range has been open (unattended) for almost two years so far. One of those "traffic-counter" cables recorded over 1700 visits in a 7-day period earlier this year. We have ZERO vandalism or even littering problems so far (touch wood). I was up there today, and the site is pristine.

This means that our local shooters (Winnemucca area) are behaving extremely well, even to controlling litter from such things as fired targets.

It seems that when a facility is obviously cared for (and cared about). most thinking folks espect it. I do hope this situation continues just as it now is.

Jorg Nysgerrig
September 23, 2010, 02:03 AM
The cause and effect needs to be learned though, so better stop signs than most other things.

Did I misread that or are you actually defending those who vandalize things with guns as needing some kind of learning experience?

SleazyRider
September 23, 2010, 08:53 AM
Did I misread that or are you actually defending those who vandalize things with guns as needing some kind of learning experience?
I don't think you misread it, but took it out of context. I believe he is analysing, not defending, the shooters.

If you enjoyed reading about "irresponsible gun use" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!