Ice Blocks - Stop Bullets?

PDA

Spencer R.
September 21, 2010, 07:40 PM
Anyone suprised by the results of these tests?

We shot this video the other day and we were shocked by the results. What we did was shot ice block and ice bags with a water jug or melon behind it to test for penatration. Check out the result and tell me if anything suprised you guys or was I the only one that sayed "WOW".

http://www.trainasdi.com/videos/?Video=6

If you enjoyed reading about "Ice Blocks - Stop Bullets?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
The Lone Haranguer
September 21, 2010, 08:02 PM
That was interesting. A solid block of ice, instead of the bagged ice that has voids and air spaces, would probably be even stronger. And with a little sawdust mixed in, stronger yet. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pykrete

LemmyCaution
September 21, 2010, 08:34 PM
Spencer-

I don't have an audio output on my computer, so I'm missing some details.

What rounds are being fired at the ice? I see that at least one of the 'no penetration' tests involved a handgun round.

Can you lay out the grounds of the experiment in text?

Thanks.

-LC

Jolly Rogers
September 21, 2010, 08:39 PM
I second the thought about the SOLID ice. Looked like the ice was on the verge of melting. And Pykrete must have the sawdust mixed in with the water prior to freezing...just to be precise:D
Joe

9mm,.45,357 mag, 12ga slug,38sp, 308 from memory and may not have been in that order for LemmyCaution

Spencer R.
The test are not super scientific but basicly we shot alot of handgun ammo into the blocks of ice and ice bags with the water jug or melon as a back stop. If memory serves we stop .38, .45, 9mm, .308. The 12 gauge slug we did not stop and the 357 with just one block it didnt stop.

Hope that helps

Double Naught Spy
Yes, hard materials such as ice will stop some bullets some of the time. There are some consistency issues with using ice. Also note that the lack of penetration on some of the tests may not be due to lack of penetration but due to deflection - hence never making it to the jug of watre.

The ice blocks were like no ice blocks I have seen, but appear to be ice cubes refrozen with water. This makes for a very different makeup than actual solid ice blocks.

LemmyCaution
September 21, 2010, 09:52 PM
What was the bullet in the .308 round?

I've shot 1gal jugs of frozen water before and a .22lr makes it through about 50% of the time. Prolly doesn't have enough oomph to do much on the back side, but I'd expect a centerfire rifle round to still have plenty of energy.

Jim Watson
September 21, 2010, 10:05 PM
There was a study done some years ago that recommended 30mm DU AP be test fired into a bin of ice. The idea was that the ice could be melted and the DU filtered out of the water, resulting in less low level radwaste than the usual method of firing into sand. Never amounted to anything.

22-rimfire
September 22, 2010, 12:11 AM
Penetration on the non-magnum handgun rounds seemed fairly predictable. The ice bags make the 45 ACP seem pretty whimpy. Would have liked to have seen a 44 mag, 22LR from a handgun and rifle, and 223 from a rifle.

I think solid ice would have been a bit harder to penetrate.

Thanks for taking the time to post.

The Bushmaster
September 22, 2010, 11:17 AM
Spencer...Have you ever seen a [real] block of ice? It's not many cubes frozen together. It's ONE solid cube [block] of ice. Try that experiment again...With a BLOCK of ice.

berettaprofessor
September 22, 2010, 11:46 AM
Spencer; thinking of moving to Alaska? ...otherwise I don't forsee having a large quantity of ice around in TEOTWAWKI times....

Cosmoline
September 22, 2010, 04:53 PM
All ice is not equal. To fully test this, you would need to try out a deep frozen block at -20 or colder.

PT1911
September 22, 2010, 05:05 PM
it seems that a solid block of ice would Shatter all at once whereas the smaller cubes frozen together provide more deflection as they break independent of one another... I could be wrong about this.. just my puny human mind at work.

engineerbrian
September 22, 2010, 05:23 PM
try a 50 pound salt block! i shot a salt block with a 30-06 at 100yards and the bullet bounced off and landed 6" in front of the block...didnt even crack the block!!!

seasmoke
September 22, 2010, 07:40 PM
Interesting Video, to echo a previous post I would like to see this done with a solid block of ice.
Could this be the future of 'body armour'? Brrrrrr :eek:

AhHeck
September 22, 2010, 08:57 PM
Looks like you had a lot of fun.

If you do the test again, maybe put sides and a top on to see if you are deflecting the bullet.
Maybe do a test against solid ice blocks vs frozen together ice cubes?

I think there will be a difference in shooting into media of one density versus shooting into media of variable density.
All in all, looks like fun

tkopp
September 22, 2010, 08:59 PM
My thought is that some of those bullets may simply be deflecting out the side instead of being 'stopped.'

Dnaltrop
September 22, 2010, 09:45 PM
Bah, seriously beaten to the punch on Pykrete.

I keep wondering if it would make an effective/cheap replaceable backstop, or if the cratering of the rounds would eventually result in your reflecting a round into yourself.

Spencer R.
September 23, 2010, 01:31 AM
My thought is that some of those bullets may simply be deflecting out the side instead of being 'stopped.'
Actually we know it stoped the bullets because each bullet was found laying in the ice on the top of the stand. Or in the cases of the ice bags it never left the bag. In the video you even see a bullet bounce around slowly in the bag as it stops. But for full disclosure we retrived all rounds that did not penatrate with the exception of the .308. But the .308 for certain do not even touch the pumkins. So we will re do that one again to see what we get. Also in this video we didn't show all the test cause that would ahve just gottne old fast seeing round after round stoped in the ices so we just tried to show the fun ones.

JimKirk
September 23, 2010, 09:47 PM
I see a MythBuster in the making!!!

sniper5
September 24, 2010, 12:32 AM
All projectiles can be stopped, and all materials can be penetrated.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ice Blocks - Stop Bullets?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!