Dusky Grouse

PDA

ChefJeff1
September 21, 2010, 08:24 PM
Hi, I took my pup hunting today and got 2 dusky grouse. I can't wait to cook them up with mushrooms, garlic, noodles and some veggies.

If you enjoyed reading about "Dusky Grouse" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ChefJeff1
September 23, 2010, 03:24 PM
Here it is, pan fried with mushrooms sauce and broccoli with noodles. It is delicious. I can't wait to get a few more.

1KPerDay
September 23, 2010, 04:44 PM
Looks good! :cool:

stonecoldy
September 23, 2010, 10:03 PM
ChefJeff, the before and after pictures are great! Congratulations are in order, I think.
Good looking dog, by the way. I'd like to hear more about how you made your meal.
I'll be hunting with a buddy over his young Brittany for Ruffs in a couple weeks.
Viewing your pictures makes me want to be out there right now.
Good luck on your next outing!

ChefJeff1
September 24, 2010, 02:21 PM
for the grouse, breast them out and I soaked them in lightly salted water overnight. then I butterflied and flattened them out with a mallet, lightly, they're delicate.

Then dip them in flour, then egg, then seasoned bread crumbs. Pan fry on medium high heat until nice and brown. remove to a warm oven.
Pour off the oil and saute some mushrooms until nice, add a chopped shallot, chopped clove of garlic, crushed red pepper flakes and saute a little more.

Stir in 2 tablespoons or so of flout and cook a few minutes then slowly add chicken or mushroom stock and simmer until thick and the flour taste is cooked out, about 7-8 minutes. Finish with parsley and cream or butter if you want.

Noodles

Broccoli
done, Jeff

ArmedBear
September 24, 2010, 04:31 PM
Good job!

I thought you said you didn't want to hunt birds?:)

Griffon?

stonecoldy
September 24, 2010, 04:51 PM
Thank you for posting your meal preparation. Hopefully I'll bag a couple grouse to try it. On the other hand, may try it out with chicken first.

I saw a couple Sooties in the Cascades a couple weeks ago, they are good sized birds. What size shot do you prefer?

ChefJeff1
September 24, 2010, 06:42 PM
Stone, works great with chix too. I used #8 20 gauge but it is just what I had.

Hey Bear, I had to get my pup into some birds, he's a wirehair pointer/flusher. He acts much more distinguished and mature now.
I got a doe tag and a cow elk tag this year, same as last year. How about you? It was fun hnting those birds, I have to say. Now I need a nice upland bird shotgun instead of a mossberg pump.

If you enjoyed reading about "Dusky Grouse" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!