Shipping a handgun

PDA

Alex45ACP
September 21, 2010, 10:39 PM
How do you find out how much it would cost to ship a handgun? I read that they have to go Next Day Air or Priority, and I went to the UPS & FedEx sites to get quotes and they were $100+ just to go a few states away :what: Is this accurate?

If you enjoyed reading about "Shipping a handgun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
DPris
September 21, 2010, 10:44 PM
Depends on declared value, weight, and distance shipped.
Denis

Jim Watson
September 21, 2010, 10:47 PM
Your Friendly Local Dealer can ship for less.
You DO have a FLD, don't you?

snubbies
September 21, 2010, 10:50 PM
I checked cost from Los Angeles to Bartlett Illinois

Next Day Air $73.69
Next Day Air Saver $66.39
2nd Day Air $39.05

This was for a 5 LB package. This may give you some idea

CDW4ME
September 21, 2010, 11:47 PM
My local UPS will not (knowingly) ship a handgun any way except overnight / overnight saver (whatever). IME this is easily a $55-65 dollar transaction.

I did not include the word "knowingly" to imply that I attempt to cheat them from their excessive shipping requirement in any way, I don't.

dogtown tom
September 22, 2010, 02:07 AM
Your dealer can mail a 70lb handgun with $1000 worth of insurance for $23 through the USPS in a free medium Flat Rate Priority Mail box.

Mere mortals & the unwashed masses can only mail rifles and shotguns through the USPS- no handguns or other firearms capable of being concealed on the person.

If he charges you a reasonable fee (I charge $10) to transfer, pack and ship your gun you are at about half of what you would pay FedEx/UPS to ship. USPS Priority Mail is 3-5 day delivery or better.

medalguy
September 22, 2010, 03:18 AM
YOU can't ship a handgun at all unless you are a licensed dealer. Your DEALER can ship it via USPS priority mail in a medium flat rate box for about $15.

jimmyraythomason
September 22, 2010, 08:45 AM
YOU can't ship a handgun at all unless you are a licensed dealer. Not true. You can ship a handgun to an FFL even interstate by common carrier (NOT USPS).

Captcurt
September 22, 2010, 09:26 AM
Not true. You can ship a handgun to an FFL even interstate by common carrier (NOT USPS).
But not all FLD will receive from an individual. Many prefer to receive from another dealer. You are at the mercy of their whims.

jimmyraythomason
September 22, 2010, 09:29 AM
But not all FLD will receive from an individual.Still doesn't effect your ability to ship. Individuals can and frequently do ship handguns back to the manufacturer or other FFLs for repairs or upgrades. It is often CHEAPER to have an FFL MAIL it for you.

WC145
September 22, 2010, 09:37 AM
Your dealer can mail a 70lb handgun with $1000 worth of insurance for $23 through the USPS in a free medium Flat Rate Priority Mail box.

Yeah, but can he FIT a 70lb handgun in one of those boxes?;)

bhp9mm
September 22, 2010, 09:41 AM
i only pay my ffl $25 for shipping

dogtown tom
September 22, 2010, 09:53 AM
WC145 Quote:

Yeah, but can he FIT a 70lb handgun in one of those boxes?

For a couple of dollars more the dealer could mail that 70lb handgun in a large Flat Rate Priority Mail box.;)

If you enjoyed reading about "Shipping a handgun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!