This is what our NRA membership dollars go toward?

PDA

John Wayne
September 23, 2010, 01:20 PM
Saw this on youtube, and if it hadn't been posted by the NRA, I would have thought it was a parody done by some anti-gun group. I thought the video reinforced several negative stereotypes about gun owners. As a gun owner, I was put off by it; had I been indifferent or anti-gun, I think this would only strengthen my opinions of the aforementioned negative stereotypes. If the NRA, the premier organization respoinsible for protecting our 2nd Amendment rights, continues putting out ads as unprofessional as this, I will think twice before making any more donations.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIekO108H9c

If you enjoyed reading about "This is what our NRA membership dollars go toward?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
VinnAY
September 23, 2010, 01:23 PM
I must agree with you JW.

jcwit
September 23, 2010, 01:26 PM
Sorta crappy to start with but ended up being pro. Might just take something like this to get the laggards out to vote.

Sam1911
September 23, 2010, 01:28 PM
Uhhhh.... Wow.

It's an ... uh ... attempt to ... erm ... reach out to ... well, somebody ... uh ... sheesh.

Poor Chuck Norris. He must have an incredibly thick skin and a very well developed sense of humor.

lima_w
September 23, 2010, 01:45 PM
I thought it was pretty funny myself

jnyork
September 23, 2010, 01:46 PM
I could only watch about 30 seconds of it. What an embarassment. :scrutiny:

Rshooter
September 23, 2010, 01:56 PM
It struck me as a parody. It ended on a positive note.

I have heard many people protest the NRA and at one time I was one of them, thinking their message was to strong. "The antigunners will never pass and assault weapons bill". Now I am a life member.

Z-Michigan
September 23, 2010, 02:01 PM
It ended on an OK note, but it's a disaster overall. Not the kind of trash I would want my NRA dues going for.

John Wayne
September 23, 2010, 02:02 PM
Rshooter, I don't think their message is too strong. I just think that a room full of sleeveless-denim-shirt-wearing Chuck Norris wannabees does not promote the image of gun owners as being professional or intelligent.

There is another NRA ad featuring Chuck Norris standing on the porch of his home. In the background there is a "We Don't Dial 911" sign, which, to me, says that the NRA is saying that you should shoot first and ask questions later.

Think about how this looks to someone who has never been around guns--maybe you talk about the benefits of gun ownership, how it is a right guaranteed by the constitutuion, and how the stereotype of gun owners being careless rednecks looking for an excuse to shoot people is wrong. Maybe you convince them that normal looking people who are not lacking in social skills do own guns...and then they see this?

Sam1911
September 23, 2010, 02:13 PM
I'm conflicted.

This does nothing to change my overall opinion of the NRA, my decision to support which pro-RKBA organizations, or my commitment to the cause.

However, like I said, I'm conflicted.

I can't seem to decide if:
a) I'm offended because they think this is an effective "straight" appeal to ME; or,
b) I'm offended because they are making a blatant "low class" straight appeal to certain members of the shooting public they think this will resonate with (i.e.: a predatory "beer and bar-b-que" get-out-the-vote call to those who won't understand higher messages); or,
c) I'm offended because they think this is an effective "ironic" appeal to me (i.e.: that I'll find it funny in an arrogantly superior way to laugh at the antics of the less cultured among us); or,
d) I'm offended because of the implication TO THE PUBLIC AT LARGE, that this is what gun folks (perhaps to include myself:eek:) enjoy/do/are/need/respond to; or,
e) I'm utterly ambivalent because neither the message nor method is relevant to me so why stress about it; or,
f) I'm ambivalent because it is merely intended as humor, in a style of which I am not a devote.

Two "neutrals" and four "negatives" in my list of possible responses. :scrutiny:

AhHeck
September 23, 2010, 02:20 PM
I thought it was hilarious, it reminded me of some threads I've read on a few forums.

VOTE

jahwarrior
September 23, 2010, 02:22 PM
wow. just....wow. my original thought wasn't High Road.

this is another reason why i'm glad i let my membership lapse, aside from all the damn junk mail i was getting from them every two days to RENEW MY MEMBERSHIP BEFORE CAPITOL HILL TAKES MY GUNS AWAY!!! this is what member dues are paying for? pfffft.:fire:

essayons21
September 23, 2010, 02:22 PM
I think this was supposed to be a parody of the stereotypes anti-gunners and the MSM place on the NRA. Kinda funny, but I'm really not sure how it will play to the target audience, or even who that audience is.

Your dollars are better spent giving to local RKBA organizations anyway.

EDIT: And even though I let my membership lapse a few years back over the NRA's handling of Heller (and taking credit for things they didn't support), they still send me loads of junk mail asking for money.

snubbies
September 23, 2010, 02:23 PM
Take it for what is was intended for, "a little humor to get across a point"

Sky
September 23, 2010, 02:24 PM
I like Chuck as a person not necessarly as an actor. That being said "Golly Gee Whiz THAT SUCKED"!!!!!!

Boberama
September 23, 2010, 02:29 PM
Barf.

X-Rap
September 23, 2010, 02:41 PM
Golly at least #11 & #14 got it too. We must be the hicks,VOTE

Prion
September 23, 2010, 02:41 PM
I thought it was pretty funny. You have to understand that there is a whole genre of Chuck Norris parody. It's based on his super human toughness and the worship of said toughness. Absurdity and stereotypes are part of the humor and fun.

gym
September 23, 2010, 02:43 PM
That's 3 minutes of my life I will never get back.

Tommygunn
September 23, 2010, 02:50 PM
....what our NRA membership dollars go toward?

Wayne LaPierre's new Porsche???

JohnBT
September 23, 2010, 03:09 PM
Dues don't pay for much and federal law restricts their use to certain things.

It's listed as produced by...

"Copyright 2010 NRA Freedom Action Foundation"

www.nrafaf.org

"This website is sponsored by the NRA Freedom Action Foundation, which the Internal Revenue Service has recognized as a charity under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code. Contributions are deductible for federal income tax purposes as charitable donations."

Federal law severely restricts the use of dues. Looking again at the NRA site...

"At the same time, many are unaware of some of the important regulations and restrictions that govern NRA’s legislative and political activities, particularly those relating to the segregated nature of fund-raising activities.

The fund-raising that sustains NRA’s legislative activities is conducted by ILA. Federal and many state election laws dictate that funds used to assist candidates for office must be raised separately, and that is the task of NRA’s political action committee—the NRA Political Victory Fund (NRA-PVF). Neither NRA member dues nor contributions to ILA can be used directly for the election or defeat of candidates.

Because of these clearly defined parameters, and because only a small fraction of ILA’s operating budget comes from regular NRA membership dues, both ILA and NRA-PVF must continuously raise the funds needed to sustain NRA’s legislative and political activities. The resources expended in these arenas come from the generous contributions of NRA members—above and beyond their regular dues.

While NRA doesn’t expect every member to contribute to every fund-raising mailing, the mailers do double as legislative alerts, providing important information that empowers members to take specific actions: calling lawmakers, writing letters or completing and returning postcards. Sending solicitations periodically allows NRA to keep its members informed on the issues and threats gun owners face, while attempting to accommodate individual member budgets.

Raising the tens of millions of dollars needed every year to defend Second Amendment rights is no small task. But, in order for NRA to meet the challenges gun owners face head on in the legislative and political arenas, it is a necessity."

JohnBT
September 23, 2010, 03:11 PM
"Wayne LaPierre's new Porsche??? "

Sour grapes there? Need a better job? I'm sorry.

John

MrOldLude
September 23, 2010, 03:25 PM
I skipped the video, but I will say I paid dues to the NRA for a while. What put me off was the fear-mongering telemarketers who would call me, telling half-truths and purely blatant lies in order to acquire additional donations. So I said F them.

jimmyraythomason
September 23, 2010, 03:38 PM
I fully support the work of the NRA and The ILA. I have decided to skip all such hachet jobs like these anti-NRA threads. I didn't watch the video and only read a select few of these posts. Our opposition will stop at nothing to discredit us,our rights and those who work to defend them. Divide and conquer is a tactic that the antis know well and use often.

Andrew Wyatt
September 23, 2010, 03:45 PM
i thought that was a hilarious video.

MrOldLude
September 23, 2010, 04:03 PM
Okay, I just watched this video. Lulz. Pretty funny and well done. Pro-gun without being preachy, and makes fun of the tin-foil hat types. You guys need to lighten up.

CoRoMo
September 23, 2010, 04:04 PM
That was pretty good.

Dnaltrop
September 23, 2010, 04:17 PM
Bah, I'm the tinfoil-hatter of the family and even I got the joke.

However, the NRA needs to hire the Ad agency that's doing all the Old Spice Commericals, or ones of similar caliber. (pun unintended)

SERIOUSLY the lighter, friendlier, and more open we can be is the best medicine.

Hanzo581
September 23, 2010, 04:26 PM
Some of you need to lighten up....

Zundfolge
September 23, 2010, 04:36 PM
This threads illustrates one of the things that annoys the crap out of me about this community (and the shooting community in general).

An utter lack of sense of humor and panties that bunch WAY too easily.

:rolleyes:

ProShooter
September 23, 2010, 04:46 PM
The people who sat back and didn't vote are the sole reason why we have an illegal alien in the White House and why the US is in the toilet.

I don't care if Chuck Norris comes out and does a belly dance. Any positive message that gets someone off their can and out to vote is fine with me. The ad works.

Dnaltrop
September 23, 2010, 04:47 PM
seriously, Have Chuck parody the Old spice ads... one long take, minimal effects.

FAR more impact

Lateck
September 23, 2010, 04:48 PM
It's funny. It could have been better but.... :what:

It takes different ideas to get to all. (If possible). :banghead:

Lateck,

CoRoMo
September 23, 2010, 04:53 PM
It's easier to be offended, and it strokes the ego. But life's too short for all that; I laughed.

Mooseman
September 23, 2010, 04:58 PM
I didn't find that offensive, I understand the point of the video. I think they could have made their intent a bit clearer though.

SharpsDressedMan
September 23, 2010, 05:04 PM
I wish they would have contacted me when they had this much money to spend on developing a commercial. I can do better than that, and I'm not a professional ad writer........

Texas Gun Person
September 23, 2010, 05:05 PM
Tough crowd on this website...

I liked it. Made me laugh.

swinokur
September 23, 2010, 05:08 PM
I thought it was pretty funny. You have to understand that there is a whole genre of Chuck Norris parody. It's based on his super human toughness and the worship of said toughness. Absurdity and stereotypes are part of the humor and fun.

This

buck460XVR
September 23, 2010, 05:19 PM

Yep........basically it's sayin' vote if you don't wanna be "THAT" guy.

BTW........I thought the blu-hair was kinda hot myself. :neener:

jimmyraythomason
September 23, 2010, 05:30 PM
^^^^^Okay,now I gotta watch it!

XxWINxX94
September 23, 2010, 05:40 PM
It was.....interesting.

I'm not sure if it was me, but at the begininng it seemed like gun owners were stereo-typed alot, unless it was a message that the Anti-Gunners ARE stereotyping gun owners.

If the intention was comedy and fun, it was great.

Still a little corny, but I guess the end was pretty straightforward.

Double Naught Spy
September 23, 2010, 05:51 PM
Sorry, thought it was a crappy production. The people involved in the video should go back to mailing out plastic silver bullets, cheapo baseball gimme caps, and multiple copies of "Tales of the Gun" to the same recipients over and over. Then it just looks like the marketing department is full of morons and not that the whole of the NRA is represented by them.

KBintheSLC
September 23, 2010, 05:53 PM
I try to take these things in stride, but I couldn't help but to be a little annoyed. I prefer to steer clear of the brainless redneck stereotype if at all possible. I just don't find that it accurately represents most gun owners in my experience.

jimmyraythomason
September 23, 2010, 05:54 PM
Sorry, thought it was a crappy production. Yeah,a lot of folks think that about "Gone With The Wind" too. (Just go on any Civil War discussion forum and ask)

oldbanjo
September 23, 2010, 06:04 PM
That video stereo typed the people on this Forum as a bunch of d**b a** Red Necks. NRA could save a lot of money by stopping with the junk mail. It is hard to tell when your due's come due. Look at the language that is coming from the nice old lady, very bad taste. Would you want your kid's or grand kid's to watch that. Some people should be voted out of NRA over that video.

jimmyraythomason
September 23, 2010, 06:08 PM
Those that hate the NRA will hate whatever they do.

leadcounsel
September 23, 2010, 07:10 PM
Well they did step up and help us win the 2 most important SCOTUS cases in history - Heller and McDonald...

I suppose that should be good for something...

Ads mean very little... if you're anti or pro it's not going to change your mind...

Tommygunn
September 23, 2010, 07:15 PM
"Wayne LaPierre's new Porsche??? "

Sour grapes there? Need a better job? I'm sorry.

John

1.) Nah, just a snarky remark, due to the fact that, while I belong to the NRA I think they're too much the compromiser. They HAVE spent lots of $$$ on a new building awhile ago I questioned ....
There are purer gun-rights organizations -- and I belong to them.

2.) Hardly. I'm comfortably retired. My amazing portfolio even survived the Dubyabama recession and is recouping what itsy bitsy loss I did suffer.
So no way do I want back into that ridiculous rat-race. It's all yours. :neener:

jimmyraythomason
September 23, 2010, 07:58 PM
I belong to the NRA I think they're too much the compromiser. I had MUCH rather get half a cake than lose the whole thing.

hso
September 23, 2010, 08:07 PM
Post #10+#11+#13 sum up all my opinions.

I have to ask if this is a campaign for television or not? If it's just on the NRA site I have to assume it's directed at the firearms community in an attempt to parody the misanthropic element to get more people to use the power of the vote to stop and reverse the erosion of our rights. Less chest beating posturing and more real useful action. If it's for release to television, oops.

As said several times already, don't get so riled up over a political action comedy short, even if seems stupid. There are real things to get outraged about.

jeepguy
September 23, 2010, 08:12 PM
i always thought highly about the nra, but this video is ridiculous. is this how they see me. you would have thought the anti's made it. if i was at a tv station that wanted to promote gun control/gun bans, i would play this for free over & over. becuse i believe this is how they see us. it's insulting & definitely not high road.

Jeff H
September 23, 2010, 08:12 PM
Wow, just wow. If this was intended as a serious get out and vote ad, I think it was poorly done. I certainly don't think that ad will sway many voters. I wonder how many of our dues were wasted on that ad.

There is just so many things wrong with that ad, I can't begin to list them. Very sad.

jimmyraythomason
September 23, 2010, 08:16 PM
I wonder how many of our dues were wasted on that ad. NONE! How many times must it be said?

jcwit
September 23, 2010, 08:22 PM
This threads illustrates one of the things that annoys the crap out of me about this community (and the shooting community in general).

Amen!

That video stereo typed the people on this Forum as a bunch of d**b a** Red Necks. NRA could save a lot of money by stopping with the junk mail. It is hard to tell when your due's come due. Look at the language that is coming from the nice old lady, very bad taste. Would you want your kid's or grand kid's to watch that. Some people should be voted out of NRA over that video.

Believe me your kids have seen and heard worse than this in kindergarten,and if you don't realize this you're in La-La land.

Quote:
I wonder how many of our dues were wasted on that ad.

NONE! How many times must it be said?

How true! Trouble is many can not fathom this.

Full Metal Jacket
September 23, 2010, 08:25 PM
i just watched it.....:eek:

i don't see any panty bunching. nor do i think the lame attempt at humor in this video is funny. it doesn't offend me, it's just that it makes gun owners look like imbeciles to non-gun folks.

jlasserton
September 23, 2010, 08:33 PM
Well done! It's kinda funny... thanks for the post!

SSN Vet
September 23, 2010, 09:14 PM
I think it was intended to be funny.....

Let's hope.

They obviously missed the mark.

Time to let that ad agencies contract lapse.

TexasRifleman
September 23, 2010, 09:24 PM
You gotta be kidding. How can you be offended by this? I swear some people sit around thinking of ways to be offended.

It's a parody of some of the other "pro gun" groups out there and their silliness.

The point is that voting is how you make change, not talking.

If you don't get that and don't get that this video is tongue in cheek that's pretty sad.

Whether it's a good idea or not I am not sure, but it's clearly meant to be comical.

jimmyraythomason
September 23, 2010, 09:27 PM
It's pretty simple,those who don't like the NRA won't like the video. Those of us who do like the NRA and what they do, won't see anything wrong with the video. It is just a matter of prospective,IMO.

Dnaltrop
September 23, 2010, 09:37 PM
it's such a waste though... they could do so much more but they're preaching to the choir.

Big shiny flashy stuff! you have to get their attention before you can sneak the Learning in.

SuperNaut
September 23, 2010, 09:41 PM
Maybe it's a generational thing, but I laughed all the way through. MORE PLEASE!

DeepSouth
September 23, 2010, 09:41 PM
I thought it was stupid but I can see where many folks would think it was funny, because in a stupid way it is. I realize the NRA is reaching out to those people to, therefore I don't have a problem with the stupid video.

Carter
September 23, 2010, 09:51 PM
I thought it was funny. If you can't make fun of yourself then there is something wrong with you. All the video did was take a stereotype, clearly make it look silly, then bring in a "role model" figure and give sound advice to register to vote.

If someone can't see the satirical side of the video they need to go back to high school. I bet those same people really believe that the best way to fix starvation in Ireland way back when is for them to eat children...

Lighten up people.

I think this is another thread to bash the NRA.
When I joined the NRA people on here tried to make me thing they would scam me out of money and spam me to death. I haven't receive one spam letter nor have I gotten items I didn't order and a bill a few weeks later.
They may not be the best organization, but they do good work, or at least try to.

orionengnr
September 23, 2010, 10:00 PM
1. Grow up.
2. Get a life.

Loved it.

teumessian_fox
September 23, 2010, 10:11 PM
Well, whatever money they spent on the ad, they spent it on having Norris show up. Because they obviously didn't pay any ad people to write the ad. It looks like something the good old boys at the NRA came up with over their third or fourth round of drinks at Hooters.

Mags
September 23, 2010, 10:11 PM
Nothing wrong with that video, it showed the stereotype and then spoke the truth. Also just another reason to love Chuck Norris.

Legionnaire
September 23, 2010, 10:24 PM
That was a riot! Loved it.

Tim the student
September 23, 2010, 10:27 PM
Meh.

I enjoyed the parody, but I probably wouldn't watch it again. I'm not bent out of shape about it or anything.

Too bad it had Chuck Norris in it - I may have enjoyed it more had he not been in it.

alohachris
September 23, 2010, 10:52 PM
I chose to stop watching after the 'comical' profanity and "blue cougar" comment. I suppose it was intended to be funny, but I did not find it so.

The 'brain storming' session seems to have gone like this: "So lets take all the negative stereotypes of gun owners and put them in one video!" "Yeah!"

gdesloge
September 23, 2010, 11:06 PM
Whether you liked it or you hated it, you are all talking about it.

Mission accomplished.

gd

russ69
September 23, 2010, 11:13 PM
The dude has a primo mullet!

Thanx, Russ

Tommygunn
September 23, 2010, 11:14 PM
...I belong to the NRA I think they're too much the compromiser.

I had MUCH rather get half a cake than lose the whole thing.

True. If I didn't think that I wouldn't belong to the NRA. The are compromisers but they're the biggest game in town.
I prefer GOA because they're the "no" compromisers. OTOH the NRA does have a longer list of accomplishments.
I'm a member of several other pro gun groups as well. Each has its good points and bad points.
I just care to throw all my $$ into one big pot .... I like to spread it out a bit.

wvshooter
September 23, 2010, 11:27 PM
A few facts will be helpful.

This ad is targeted directly at the millions of adult men who have not bothered to vote in previous elections. If five percent of these non voting adult men had bothered to vote in the last presidential election John McCain would have easily beaten BHO. Stop and think about that for a second.

It was not the intent of the writers of the ad that it be funny. This ad is not funny and was not supposed to be funny. Nor was the ad designed to be clever or entertaining. The ad was designed with one purpose. To get men to register and vote in the upcoming November election.

If you are a person who supports conservative ideals you'll be glad to know that this ad is just one small effort toward the advancement of those conservative ideals. I personally am thankful that NRA is working so hard on this issue. As a group, men are more conservative than women but tend to not participate in politics to the degree that women do.

For anyone who is interested there is evidence that this under represented group, adult men, is going to show up at the polls like never before in November. Lets give the NRA credit where credit is due.

GunLink
September 23, 2010, 11:49 PM
Hear, hear, wvshooter.

I didn't care for the ad. Perhaps it shines a somewhat...backwards...light on some conservatives. If it's effective in getting people in to the polls to "get the bums out" then great.

Sky
September 23, 2010, 11:51 PM
I belong to the NRA and hope a long and prosperous life for their organization.

Anyone or thing that helps defend the second amendment should be respected for their efforts.

I realized the humor of the parody and parody's certainly work with certain audiences. I believe the thing that bothered me about the vid is I know people who think all gun owners are like those portrayed. You shoot guns??

A group of well dressed business guys speaking about some of the same or different subjects in a non red neck manner would have been more representative of the shooting public in my humble mind and not reinforced the ding dong red neck image of gun owners..Guess it's just a matter of taste.

MinnMooney
September 24, 2010, 12:11 AM
Why are some of posting negative replys without even watching the whole video???

It has a fairly good ending.

C96
September 24, 2010, 12:14 AM
Minn you don't have to watch it if you already have your mind made up. There appear to be a few that don't need much to bash something.

I thought it funny.

hso
September 24, 2010, 12:16 AM
The ad is from the NRA-ILA Trigger the Vote campaign to get people off the couch (or up from the keyboard) and out to vote in Nov. 2010 for 2A supporting candidates. http://www.triggerthevote.org/why-me-why-now/

Part of advertising is the generate a discussion in the target group in hopes of that leading to the desired action. They've succeeded on the first part.

labhound
September 24, 2010, 12:18 AM
I agree with SKY! Parody or not, humorous or not, IMHO this video is done in just plain bad taste, portrays gun owners and NRA members in a bad light, and does nothing to further our 2nd amendments rights.

stickhauler
September 24, 2010, 02:06 AM
For God's sake, the video wasn't made for TV anyway, it was made as a totally internet video. For a video to even get any notice on line, it's made to be as out there as possible. Check any net video that goes "viral", it's as out of the box as possible.

Sure, make a video with businessmen dressed in business attire. Great idea! And the anti-gun press will have a field day claiming the NRA got "actors" to portray gun owners as regular people, which the anti gun crowd is absolutely positively convinced it impossible. They'll claim the NRA is trying to spread some sort of propaganda.

You folks all frosted about getting renewal notices? Become a life member, the only things you'll get is a request for you to become a patron or benefactor.

I'm a proud life member of the NRA. In my opinion, many who manufacture reasons to dislike the NRA are basically too cheap to contribute to keeping their 2nd amendment rights. They opt to allow others to carry them. That, to me anyway, is sad.

Flobert
September 24, 2010, 02:20 AM
Um,

Kinda silly but yes, voting matters.

Full Metal Jacket
September 24, 2010, 02:27 AM
you guys that thought it was funny before chuck showed up are too easily entertained.....:eek:

zach1985
September 24, 2010, 02:34 AM
yeah, what a waste of money. just strengthens the "idea" that all of us 2nd Amendment rights advocates are dumb inbred rednecks.

Full Metal Jacket
September 24, 2010, 02:43 AM
the intent was fine, however the execution sucked....

russ69
September 24, 2010, 03:45 AM
FYI, you can go online and ask to have the mailings stopped. It took a little while, but I can't remember the last one I got. Seriously, I can't remember......
LOL.

Thanx, Russ

PCGS65
September 24, 2010, 04:13 AM
It's not as simple as just vote. That's the philosphy that got us what we have on capitol hill now.
Too many aren't capable of doing research for themselves. They simply follow the "crowd" like sheep.

Some examples are "I'm not voting for him he has no chance of winning" talk about lame.

sig220mw
September 24, 2010, 05:42 AM
Good grief, it was a parody. They were making fun of the stereotype that the anti's believe. They were entertaining us. In the end, Chuck straightened everyone out, saved the day and got his message across.

Sam1911
September 24, 2010, 07:11 AM
It's pretty simple,those who don't like the NRA won't like the video. Those of us who do like the NRA and what they do, won't see anything wrong with the video.I guess that's not true. I do like the NRA, support the organization consistenly (even though I admit to not always having agreed with certain positions), and yet, I did not like the ad.

I suppose broad comedy can be used to sell important activism points, and maybe this will succeed in some way. Every detail of how you advertise yourself and your message has to be considered both from what it might gain for you with some folks and to what extent it may harm your image with others. Cost -vs.- benefit.

How strongly will this motivate group A, and how much help will that be to us? How negatively will this read to group B, and how much do we care about driving them away?

If we can say that this will really motivate folks who find this kind of thing funny -- and we really need to get lots more of them to the polls; and the people it will offend either won't ever be on our side OR are (like myself) going to be working for us anyway regardless of their negative view of this ad, then it pays to run it.

Like the old "Jack-Booted Thugs" line, it might be embarassing and distasteful to some of us, but still serve a successful pragmatic end.

jimmyraythomason
September 24, 2010, 07:25 AM
It's pretty simple,those who don't like the NRA won't like the video. I guess that's not true. I still think there is more truth here than not. Perhaps it reveals an underlying dissapproval(and perhaps not). Either way, attacking our greatest ally in the defense of our RKBA isn't going to further our cause.

Sam1911
September 24, 2010, 07:33 AM
attacking our greatest ally in the defense of our RKBA isn't going to further our cause.

So it is inappropriate for the devoted membership to express their opinions on steps -- especially public image steps -- the Association (well, NRA-ILA, anyway) is taking?

The NRA isn't a diety which issues edicts its devotes must accept and follow. It is an Association of members asking to be represented (to have THEIR voices to be heard!) as a cohesive group. We all have some small amount of say in what it does an how it portreys itself/us.

That isn't "attacking" the organization, any more than going on a diet or getting a haircut is "attacking" yourself! :)

We seem to be saying that all gun owners should be members of the NRA (which I agree with completely) and that as members we should shut up and go along with whatever the organization's leadership says. I don't agree with that. If I wanted to have to follow a group in silent, blind faith, I'd join a church. If I'm hiring (in essence) a group to speak for me I think they should get a tiny little earful of what I want said, and what I don't want said, in my name.

jimmyraythomason
September 24, 2010, 07:41 AM
So it is inappropriate for the devoted membership to express their opinions on steps -- especially public image steps -- the Association (well, NRA-ILA, anyway) is taking?
No it isn't,infact I encourage it. What I DO have a problem with is so-called RKBA supporters finding fault(usually very loudly) with everything the organization does! It is an Association of members asking to be represented (to have THEIR voices to be heard!) as a COHESIVE group. United we stand.Divided we fall. How can we get our message across when we don't even agree what that message is? If a member has a problem with something the organization is doing then tell the organization about it NOT the internet!

Sam1911
September 24, 2010, 07:44 AM
If a member has a problem with something the organization is doing then tell the organization about it NOT the internet!

:scrutiny: So we shouldn't talk about our thoughts and feelings first? We shouldn't vet our first responses through a little "reality check" here on THR just to see if maybe we're missing something important to which our peers here can enlighten us before we send Chris and Wayne a few nasty emails?

Bogus.

Truth be told, I've softened my original impressions of the video (a little, tiny, bit) since having read some of the contrary points in this thread. Maybe I should have fired off those emails first before my fellow members eased up my hard line opposition to it?

jimmyraythomason
September 24, 2010, 07:55 AM
Suit yourself Sam. I believe all of this back and forth yammering is hurting our cause not helping and by posting here I am also a contributor to it. I guess,at least for me, the answer is to just stop reading these " let's all gang up and attack the NRA" threads. At least I should stop contributing to them or at least try.

hso
September 24, 2010, 07:59 AM
Saying that NRA members will like the video and saying that folks that don't like the NRA won't are absolute statements that are nearly impossible to be valid.

I've sure some of the NRA haters will find the video amusing and get the point even if many, if not most, won't.

As a long time NRA and NRA-ILA supporter I did not like the video, but realize that others will and that difference of opinion is generating discussions that will make people at least think about the message being sent, "Get up from behind the keyboard and vote for a change".

At the very least, 2 of us that didn't like it and that means not all of us liked it, but all of us here are discussing it and that may have been the point of the video;)

That makes me wonder if being a little controversial wasn't the intent so that people would have conversations starting with, "Did you see that stupid/goofy/cool Target the Vote video that starts out with ...".:scrutiny: Generating interest to get people to hear the message instead of ignore it is the point of any marketing.

jimmyraythomason
September 24, 2010, 09:04 AM
Saying that NRA members will like the video and saying that folks that don't like the NRA won't are absolute statements that are nearly impossible to be valid.
Of course it was an absolute statement and intended to be so. The fact is,if you don't like the NRA you will find fault with the video even if it featured people sipping wine and wearing smoking jackets. See? What did I tell you? Another train wreck that I couldn't resist.

SuperNaut
September 24, 2010, 09:43 AM
I'm getting the impression that many thought they were watching a documentary.

MikeNice
September 24, 2010, 09:57 AM
I showed this to my wife. She looked at me and said simply, "what the h*** were they thinking."

That video makes all of the "we're responsible law abiding citizens" talk look like a sad joke. I am starting to rethink my commitment to the NRA.

evan price
September 24, 2010, 10:02 AM
Well, at least it's not a wine-of-the-month advertisement.

Other than that--- two thumbs down :barf:

ConstitutionCowboy
September 24, 2010, 10:32 AM
I think the NRA Board of Directors has lost its collective mind. To wit:

Supporting that NICS "improvement" legislation that has cost some veterans their ability to legally keep and bear arms.

Misleading the public with disingenuous ads inferring they single-handedly won Heller and McDonald.

One of the members of the Board proposing and the rest of the Board supporting legislation to "investigate" micro-stamping.

Now this ad portraying gun owning citizens as hectic crass taurine vulgar rednecks?

And I thought Congress was out of touch!

Woody

jcwit
September 24, 2010, 10:59 AM
I think the NRA Board of Directors has lost its collective mind. To wit:

Supporting that NICS "improvement" legislation that has cost some veterans their ability to legally keep and bear arms.

Misleading the public with disingenuous ads inferring they single-handedly won Heller and McDonald.

Back this up with links proving these statements.

Sam1911
September 24, 2010, 11:03 AM
Back this up with links proving these statements.

Better yet, take them to another thread. This thread should remain focused on the video. There's an NRA-bash thread going on simultaneously where this side discussion might fit in a bit better.

swinokur
September 24, 2010, 11:09 AM
The past TWO issues of the American Rifleman portend the NRA's hard work was the reason for the McDonald victory in front of SCOTUS. Not one mention of the real victor, the Second Amendment Foundation

They're entitled to that since it's their magazine. It would have been a nice gesture to give credit where it's due, instead of crowing that the victory was because of the NRA.

I thought we were all in this together. Maybe not.

M-Cameron
September 24, 2010, 11:21 AM
ok, from reading some of these comments, it is apparent to me that the majority of you clearly did not understand that commercial.....

its not portraying gun owners as a bunch of retarded hillbilly mall ninja anarchist wanna-be huddling together in the back room of a dojo........

they used that setup for 2 reasons......1.) because it is funny.....but more importantly 2.) because that is how some anti-gun organizations portray us.....

and then when Chuck Norris comes in, well dressed and well spoken and says thats not how thing are done...... that is representative of how political gun owners are....and is saying that we do not approve of radical anarchistic action.

.....does that make sense to anyone else........

overall i got a pretty good laugh out of it

Sam1911
September 24, 2010, 11:21 AM
Again: This thread is for discussions of the VIDEO above. Go to THIS THREAD (http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=545707) for general NRA complaints.

If there are no more thoughts on the video itself we can go ahead and shut this one down.

CoRoMo
September 24, 2010, 05:35 PM
That video stereo typed the people on this Forum...
http://i827.photobucket.com/albums/zz200/pepper2010_bucket/smiley_nope.gif Nope. You completely misunderstood it.
...portrays gun owners and NRA members in a bad light...
http://i827.photobucket.com/albums/zz200/pepper2010_bucket/smiley_nope.gif Nope. You too.
...does nothing to further our 2nd amendments rights.
http://i827.photobucket.com/albums/zz200/pepper2010_bucket/smiley_nope.gif Also incorrect. Our side, voting for our cause, does more than anything else will.
...strengthens the "idea" that all of us ... are dumb inbred rednecks.
http://i827.photobucket.com/albums/zz200/pepper2010_bucket/smiley_nope.gif Wrong again. The message flew right over your head there.
That video makes all of the "we're responsible law abiding citizens" talk look like a sad joke.
http://i827.photobucket.com/albums/zz200/pepper2010_bucket/smiley_nope.gif Nope. You didn't appropriately catch the context, but the majority of others posting here seem to have gotten it right.
...it was a parody. They were making fun of the stereotype that the anti's believe.
http://www.emoticonzone.com/msn-emotions/animated/clap.gif This.
I swear some people sit around thinking of ways to be offended.

It's a parody of some of the other "pro gun" groups out there and their silliness.
http://www.emoticonzone.com/msn-emotions/animated/clap.gif Of course, this too.
1. Grow up.
2. Get a life.
http://www.emoticonzone.com/msn-emotions/animated/clap.gif Exactly this.
I chose to stop watching after the ... "blue cougar" comment.
It was "bluegar", actually. But don't use that term. He called dibs to its use. :D

dbb1776
September 24, 2010, 05:43 PM
That was FuNNY!

jeepguy
September 24, 2010, 06:46 PM
this should have been a poll. it would have been interesting to see the results.

Double Naught Spy
September 24, 2010, 08:32 PM
Nope. You completely misunderstood it.

If so many people are misunderstanding it, then maybe the NRA screwed up.

teumessian_fox
September 24, 2010, 11:21 PM
If so many people are misunderstanding it, then maybe the NRA screwed up.

It's like a test in school where half the class fails. When so many people don't get it, it's the teacher's fault.

labhound
September 25, 2010, 12:19 AM
I think everyone understood it! I for one just thought it was in poor taste!

Sky
September 25, 2010, 12:31 AM
Yep an effective commercial or video probably should not bring out such a disparity of reactions to the intent.

Justin
September 25, 2010, 01:07 AM
Clearly the creative director at the marketing company is a fan of "Eastbound and Down".

jackpinesavages
September 25, 2010, 03:09 AM
Great comedy! Yes.

Paid for by me? No.

Our money goes to local movements for gun rights and legislation.

o Unforgiven o
September 25, 2010, 04:09 AM
Uhhh wow....

The video was pretty funny and ended up being pro but how could they honestly think that a good way to portray shooters? It was funny to me as a shooter but would be ammo and drive for an anti.

The overall message was a good one but the delivery was completely off, albeit pretty funny.

o Unforgiven o
September 25, 2010, 04:12 AM
Something of a side note, to me when the video was over and I was looking at the comments the thing that struck me most was all the "Chuck Norris is god" comments. Makes me think they are trying to appeal to a partucular audience.

Webbj0219
September 25, 2010, 08:57 AM
I personally loved it. Gonna show it on my facebook. For me Ive always been a fan of the Chuck Norris jokes, this goes right in line with that. Maybe it relates more toward Norris than it does to the NRA. I love comedy, my favorite genra. This video got me laughing harder than I have in weeks.

Legionnaire
September 25, 2010, 09:27 AM
... all the "Chuck Norris is god" comments. Makes me think they are trying to appeal to a partucular audience. This. From the get go I thought this was more about "Chuck Norris wannabes" than about portraying all shooters as rednecks. Just watched it again and still think it's a hoot. Maybe some here are touchy because their own level of activism is limited to sending the occasional email? I'd run a poll on who here voted in the last off year election, but doubt many would admit it if they didn't ...

ConstitutionCowboy
September 25, 2010, 12:23 PM
It's obvious to me what the NRA board thinks of us. It's no wonder what I think of them.

Expertise at lobbying might be the forte of the NRA, but it surely misses the mark when it comes to cause. I'm insulted. This video is vulgar and demeaning. The characters depicted in that video are not representative of any members of the NRA that I know!

As for bashing the NRA? All we need do is step aside. The NRA Board is doing a great job of it all by themselves. The maddening part is that they are taking us down with them! And on our nickle!

Woody

Red Cent
September 25, 2010, 12:37 PM
I vote for #24.

teetertotter
September 25, 2010, 12:48 PM
It will appeal to the masses with less mentality.

jcwit
September 25, 2010, 12:59 PM
I vote for #24.

I also go along with this.

X-Rap
September 25, 2010, 01:11 PM
The opening scene shows the sign with Find Your Inner Norris What could they be thinking???? Bandannas, sleeveless denim shirts, cowboy boots, all I can say is Chuck is reaping what he sowed with those corny movies and TR show. He must be a really decent guy to take all the goofing so well.

gdesloge
September 25, 2010, 01:13 PM
For all of you who were so offended by this, can you recall, without watching the video again, how many times the word "gun" was uttered?

What key word was used?

Just a couple of questions.

gd

X-Rap
September 25, 2010, 01:23 PM
I think for some of the more enlightened here it would have been much easier to understand if it was a trekkie group session and Shatner or Nimoy would have walked through the door.
Of course this post is directed to those who have distaste for the redneck nature of the original add, I think I will send my suggestion to the NRA:rolleyes:

msgunner
September 25, 2010, 01:39 PM
They are promoting a very common misconception among the general public, that all NRA members are hillbillies. That kind of left a bad taste in my mouth, although that kind of comedy is fairly humorous...

this post was not intended to offend any members that fall into the "hillbilly" category. As most of my friends and family fit that description.

ConstitutionCowboy
September 25, 2010, 02:31 PM
... I didn't watch the video and only read a select few of these posts. Our opposition will stop at nothing to discredit us,our rights and those who work to defend them. Divide and conquer is a tactic that the antis know well and use often.

Sorta makes me wonder why the NRA Board of Directors is doing it to its own rank and file ... ?

Woody

millertyme
September 25, 2010, 02:42 PM
Pretty funny video. You want to do something to combat the redneck stereotype (assuming it doesn't apply to you) you need to do something local and make yourself more visible.

Issue #1 - Do just what the video said - Get off your butt and vote. Nothing will do more to maintain our rights and promote self-interest than to actually do it by voting for people who support what's important to you.

Issue #2 - The NRA is like an AFL-CIO Union. You pay dues under the auspices that they are going to look out for you and your rights, which they have to an extent. But as a previous poster said, those dues you pay also contribute largely to the campaigns of politicians and the somewhat lucrative salaries of the individuals who run the organization. You might be surprised how much you could make working for the NRA. Oh yeah, they also sponsor firearms and hunters safety courses and proficiency courses as well. Which you also have to pay for on top of your dues.

Issue #3 - If you're offended by the parody of gun owners as rednecks, take a look around. Some of the things we read here on THR look to have been written and posted by said rednecks, especially in the S&T forum. That's not saying that all or even most of the posters in that forum meet that criteria but enough do. Go to any other firearm related site and you'll find the same. Appearances, although often deceiving, are likely to contribute more to stereotypes than the actual existence of behaviors attendant to the stereotype. I'm sure everyone of us has them, and most of the time we're probably wrong, but the way a person presents him or herself without speaking tends to help us formulate an opinion of them based on a stereotype.

Sam1911
September 25, 2010, 02:52 PM
and the somewhat lucrative salaries of the individuals who run the organization. You might be surprised how much you could make working for the NRA

There have been some interesting discussions of that subject here on THR.org.

The upshot of it seems to be that the directors of the NRA and NRA-ILA make pretty middle-of-the-road salaries for folks in similar roles in other national advocacy groups.

I'm glad we pay them well. I'd sure hate to have some bargain, second-stringers running our Association. This is the BIG leagues. Play-for-keeps politics on the biggest political stage in the world. I want us to pay for the very, very best political activists money could ever buy!

Every time Chris and Wayne out shmooze, out talk, out debate, and humiliate Paul Helmke, Rebecca Peters, Josh Sugarman and the like, I think to myself, "That's money WELL SPENT!"

millertyme
September 25, 2010, 03:04 PM
I'm glad we pay them well. I'd sure hate to have some bargain, second-stringers running our Association. This is the BIG leagues. Play-for-keeps politics on the biggest political stage in the world. I want us to pay for the very, very best political activists money could ever buy!

Every time Chris and Wayne out shmooze, out talk, out debate, and humiliate Paul Helmke, Rebecca Peters, Josh Sugarman and the like, I think to myself, "That's money WELL SPENT!"

I understand that. It's too bad, but that's what it takes. Maybe if we'd just elect people who don't have to be paid for then NRA dues wouldn't have to be used to pay charlatans to run the operation, thus getting back to the real issue here - Get out and vote.

Sam1911
September 25, 2010, 03:11 PM
Maybe if we'd just elect people who don't have to be paid for then NRA dues wouldn't have to be used to pay charlatans to run the operation, thus getting back to the real issue here

Who? What? Lost me there. Who are we supposed to elect to be what? Who are the charlatans?

millertyme
September 25, 2010, 03:13 PM
The people we do elect - Politicians that must be schmoozed and wined and dined by charlatans, also know as lobbyists.

HGUNHNTR
September 25, 2010, 03:13 PM
Low brow humor at it worst....yuck.

BTW I'm all for paying the big shots at the NRA big money for what they do. Can Wayne Lapierre afford a high end Porsche? I hope so.

Sam1911
September 25, 2010, 03:17 PM
char·la·tan
–noun
a person who pretends or claims to have more knowledge or skill than he or she possesses; quack.

—Synonyms
impostor, mountebank, fraud, fake, phony.

So...you're saying the directors of the NRA and NRA-ILA are frauds, fakes, and phonies? :scrutiny:

I'm so glad we have folks in those places with thick enough skin to endure the "thanks" they get from those they represent.

atblis
September 25, 2010, 03:18 PM
I like it. It's absurd, mocking, but then makes it's point. Vote! This "pry it from my cold dead hands" crap really does sound absurd.

The ad is targeted at gun owners. Most gun owners are not as portrayed in the ad, and we know it. What it's really mocking are the elitists who think we are.

The "enemy", whatever you'd like to call them (liberals, etc.), are elitists and already have their minds made up about guns and gun people. On top of that, they already flat out make crap up to suit their purposes, so the commercial doesn't matter regarding "the enemy".

millertyme
September 25, 2010, 03:34 PM
I'm not calling them frauds, fakes or phonies according to the conventional definition, more the historical definition. "Silver-tongued", as the translation goes. Maybe even then it's a little too much to call them. That's not my thanks for their work. I appreciate their work, I'm just a little irritated that so much has to spent to defend something we've all be given freely - the right to defend ourselves. I understand what it takes, all I'm saying is it's too bad we have to stoop to the same levels as the opposition, which according to a layman's perspective, "that's not very high road." Capitalism permeates every singe thread of our society and politics is no different. He who pays the most gets the most. I have a received a lot more for the money I've spent with the NRA than I ever did with the USW.

I know it's an idyllic notion to think that we could vote into office only people who agree with us, especially given the masses of individuals who disagree and are willing to spend lots of money to make their point.

millertyme
September 25, 2010, 03:47 PM
The ad is targeted at gun owners. Most gun owners are not as portrayed in the ad, and we know it. What it's really mocking are the elitists who think we are.

The "enemy", whatever you'd like to call them (liberals, etc.), are elitists and already have their minds made up about guns and gun people. On top of that, they already flat out make crap up to suit their purposes, so the commercial doesn't matter regarding "the enemy".

Even more, I think the ad was directed towards gun owners just like the ones in the ad that get together with their gun owning buddies and throw around rhetoric and quotes but nothing significant is ever accomplished. I think the motivation is to educate that group of gun owners that what they can do to actually make a difference is get out and vote. Maybe they have some kind of statistic that shows people who fall into that category are less likely to vote. Does anyone know if this was televised and if so what network it was televised on?

ConstitutionCowboy
September 25, 2010, 04:14 PM

Yeah, but when I see(listen to) Wayne LaPiere pull that schmoozing on someone like Tom Gresham when he should be contrite, it's time to replace him! He isn't the only mouth piece out there!

Woody

GunLink
September 25, 2010, 07:22 PM
attacking our greatest ally in the defense of our RKBA isn't going to further our cause.

The NRA isn't a diety which issues edicts its devotes must accept and follow. It is an Association of members asking to be represented (to have THEIR voices to be heard!) as a cohesive group.

Yahtzee.

Note that the bumper stickers read "I'm the NRA and I vote" not "I'm in the NRA and I vote"

NRA members and ILA/PVF/etc contributors who don't like how said organizations are spending contributions (such as with videos you don't care for)...let them know. You have a voice in the matter.

Old krow
September 25, 2010, 07:38 PM
NRA members and ILA/PVF/etc contributors who don't like how said organizations are spending contributions (such as with videos you don't care for)...let them know. You have a voice in the matter.

I agree, and I will. I don't particularly care for how gun owners were represented in the video, but at least there's a message getting out there. I mean come on! Blue denim vest and a red headband?? That's so late 70s, everyone knows it's camo these days!

danprkr
September 25, 2010, 07:38 PM
FWIW - Worked with a guy once who was a frequent extra on the Walker Texas Ranger show. Said Chuck was a nice guy, and did have a great sense of humor about himself and his image. He's also a HUGE supporter of not just the RTKBA, but freedom in general. So, if Chuck is alright with it, I'm alright with it. Just don't make me watch it again.

Tully M. Pick
September 25, 2010, 08:08 PM
I laughed. I know more than one guy that would fit right into that group, down to the canadian tuxedos.

labhound
September 25, 2010, 09:15 PM
I think the "get out and vote" message could have been delivered without implying that gun owners that would be classified as "rednecks", "bubbas", and "hillbillies" don't vote! A lot of good people are "rednecks", "bubbas", and "hillbillies" and they vote in every election and to imply that they don't is demeaning! :cuss: The more I think about this video, the less funny it becomes, and it wasn't hitting on much to start with!

Nasty Ned
September 25, 2010, 09:31 PM
I've read a lot of NRA bashing here tonite and it makes me wonder.

Surely these people are aware that without the NRA none of us would be able to own a gun today and that's a pure fact. So they issued a production that all of us did not agree with or enjoy watching. Lighten up people.

Nasty Ned

Kentucky_Rifleman
September 25, 2010, 10:48 PM
I despise the fear-mongering the NRA uses... BUT...

They are still the biggest dog on our side of the fight.

I hate getting panhandled every week... BUT

They have done more to keep my guns in my hands than all the other groups combined.

I'm still paying my dues, and I will until I die.

It's the best RKBA dollar you'll ever spend.

KR

Sam1911
September 25, 2010, 11:06 PM
I guess I'm speaking to myself as well here, but folks, let's keep the "Why I love the NRA" and "Why I hate the NRA" stuff in the other thread: http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=545598

This thread is just for discussions of the video.

millertyme
September 25, 2010, 11:16 PM
Originally Posted by dictionary.com
char·la·tan
–noun
a person who pretends or claims to have more knowledge or skill than he or she possesses; quack.

—Synonyms
impostor, mountebank, fraud, fake, phony.

No crap, Sam? I know the definition just as much as I knew when I originally posted. As you likely read in my post before you edited yours with the included definition. My argument was and still is that it's pretty sad that we have to buy off politicians and schmooze them. It's the behavior in general I disagree with, not how much LaPierre makes or that he's good at getting people on his side. If it's the truth, then it shouldn't have to be sold and no one should have to be coerced into agreeing with it.

Surely these people are aware that without the NRA none of us would be able to own a gun today and that's a pure fact

Surely posting something like this would lead to speculation as to what exactly is a "pure fact" and are you sure they're the ones responsible for my ownership of firearms today? Maybe I'm a criminal and have acquired my firearms illegally. I'm not, but just to point out your error. The NRA has done little to preserve or endorse the rights of violent felons to own firearms, yet many of them do. The Supreme Court of the United Sates has done more than the NRA since it typically comes down to their discretion whether or not an individual has the right to keep and bear arms, not a lobbyist.

I recognize they do a lot in the sphere of firearm ownership and the politics involved. I personally don't think LaPierre makes an exorbitant amount of money but it does sound like a pretty lucrative gig. So he drives a Porsche. He makes a lot of money doing a job I'm sure most people on this site would love - petitioning for the individual's right to keep and bear arms in any place and at any time. Wayne has quite the responsibility, something I'm sure most of us wouldn't want.

And as for the renecks, bubbas, and hillbillies who are offended by the NRA's depiction in this ad: If they're actually offended it goes a long way to undermine the backwoods toughness often associated with their station in life (maybe just another falsely laid stereotype). If they're offended let them say it.

ol' scratch
September 26, 2010, 07:12 AM
That was funny. Obviously a parody designed to break down stereotypes regarding gun owners.

mustang_steve
September 26, 2010, 08:09 AM
The humor in it was pretty subtle, it was aimed towards a very spcific group of non-voters, but done in a way that I'm not sure it will help or not.

The low-class nutbar image they were portraying could insult those they are trying to reach, however to the rest of us (who should see the joke), it's there, it's funny, but not funny enough to make it memorable.

Chuck, you can do sooooo much better.

JohnBT
September 26, 2010, 09:09 AM
"The NRA is like an AFL-CIO Union. You pay dues under the auspices that they are going to look out for you and your rights, which they have to an extent. But as a previous poster said, those dues you pay also contribute largely to the campaigns of politicians"

For the umpteenth time, federal law PROHIBITS using dues to support political campaigns.

That is why there is an NRA-ILA, NRA-PVF, etc. and why they send requests for money under their name and not under the plain old NRA name. It's the law.

You really need to do your homework before you go shooting off your mouth about something you clearly don't understand.

John

JohnBT
September 26, 2010, 09:12 AM
"The fund-raising that sustains NRA’s legislative activities is conducted by ILA. Federal and many state election laws dictate that funds used to assist candidates for office must be raised separately, and that is the task of NRA’s political action committee—the NRA Political Victory Fund (NRA-PVF). Neither NRA member dues nor contributions to ILA can be used directly for the election or defeat of candidates."

- NRA FAQ

o Unforgiven o
September 26, 2010, 10:10 PM
This. From the get go I thought this was more about "Chuck Norris wannabes" than about portraying all shooters as rednecks. Just watched it again and still think it's a hoot. Maybe some here are touchy because their own level of activism is limited to sending the occasional email? I'd run a poll on who here voted in the last off year election, but doubt many would admit it if they didn't ...
Yep. All the Chuck Norris stuff is very popular and most pretty funny, makes me think they want to appeal to a younger audience to go out and vote pro. Still think the delivery was off though.

Rshooter
September 27, 2010, 11:34 AM
A parody (pronounced /ˈpærədiː/; also called send-up, spoof or lampoon), in contemporary usage, is a work created to mock, comment on, or make fun at an original work, its subject, author, style, or some other target, by means of humorous, satiric or ironic imitation.

What was that Obama said about gun owners hanging on to their guns and religion?

Come on people, the liberals are the ones who should be offended but they most likely will never get it.

If you enjoyed reading about "This is what our NRA membership dollars go toward?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!