might wanna look at this

PDA

Sky
September 23, 2010, 03:18 PM
http://www.thegunzone.com/rust.html

Always seeing discussions on lubrication and rust prevention. Some believe what they use is the best in the history of the world.

A scientific test was done on many of our favorite products...they may not be your favorite after reading the test results.:D

If you enjoyed reading about "might wanna look at this" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
jimmyraythomason
September 23, 2010, 03:41 PM
I prefer this one. I trust Brownells to know what they are doing. <http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=10700/guntechdetail/Gun_Cleaning_Clinic__Knowing_the_Limits_of_Rust_Preventatives>

Sky
September 23, 2010, 03:44 PM
Hey Jimmy could not get your link to work....?? I'll just do a google

jimmyraythomason
September 23, 2010, 03:48 PM
Copy and paste.

Sky
September 23, 2010, 03:50 PM
Yes they tested Breakfree lp which in all the test I have seen is not what we are looking for. Totally different animal/test results with Breakfree Clp verses just the Lp.

jimmyraythomason
September 23, 2010, 03:55 PM
tested Breakfree lp which in all the test I have seen is not what we are looking for. Totally different animal/test results with Breakfree Clp verses just the Lp. Since I don't use either I never paid attention to how Breakfree lp or clp fared in the test. Rust prevention and lubrication has been WAY over thought. It doesn't take any super-duper chemical with "for guns" in the name to keep firearms rust free and working smoothly.

Sky
September 23, 2010, 03:58 PM
Agree totally

Ala Dan
September 23, 2010, 04:56 PM
I have used both, Eezox and Break Free C-L-P with excellent results; over
the course of time. Just purchased a new 18 oz spray can of Eezox on
Monday, 20 September 2010~! ;) :D :cool:

Sheepdog1968
September 23, 2010, 05:05 PM
I'm glad to see that BreakFree CLP did very well. I have used it for quite some time mostly because I like the all in one product approach. The RemOil did good which I like as I find those single use foil packs with a towlett of it to be very hand.

sub-moa
September 23, 2010, 06:12 PM
Might have meant more if he'd followed manufacturers directions :rolleyes:

jyo
September 23, 2010, 11:46 PM
After many years in the firearms industry, I found myself with a huge pile of various cleaners, oils, rust prevention products etc. By simple chance I was given quite a few large and small bottles of Breakfree CLP and had used it on my guns for the last decade or so---and the bottom line? NO RUST!! What more can I say?

jimmyraythomason
September 23, 2010, 11:52 PM
and the bottom line? NO RUST!! What more can I say? I have the same results with WD-40 and Rem-oil.

The Bushmaster
September 24, 2010, 02:14 PM
And in all the years I have used hoppe's #9 I have NEVER seen any rust on any of my firearms...I Call BS to the tests. Use what you prefer, but I will still use Hoppe's with confidence.

gunzee
September 24, 2010, 02:20 PM
Lockease graphite for CC, car wax to prevent rust.

jimmyraythomason
September 24, 2010, 02:24 PM
I Call BS to the tests. Use what you prefer, but I will still use Hoppe's with confidence.
Bushmaster,perhaps you missed this on the Brownell's test. "Pick What's Right For Your Needs
As shown, the properties and limitations of different rust preventives vary dramatically. This allows gun owners to select products that best fit their maintenance style and demands, whether indoors or out in the field. Obviously, storage in a dehumidified gun safe does not present the same challenges as a pack hunt for black tail along the Pacific Coast. Keep this in mind when selecting the best rust preventive for your application. And, be open to switching between products as your firearms change environments."
Obviously Hoppe's #9 fills your specific needs. That hardly makes the tests BS.

hardluk1
September 24, 2010, 03:23 PM
I have used Breakfree clp for 35 years and kroil only as a product to loosen copper or clean parts. Kroil is a great penetrating oil.

HGUNHNTR
September 24, 2010, 03:33 PM
Good grief don't put WD-40 in a firearm for lube.

I have used remoil and found it to be too thin, its tends to migrate too easily.

For protection from rust darn near anything will work, but cleaning and lubing done properly require totally different products.

jimmyraythomason
September 24, 2010, 03:48 PM
Good grief don't put WD-40 in a firearm for lube.
Don't start that stuff. I've used it(WD-40) for decades. I also use Rem-oil with good results.but cleaning and lubing done properly require totally different products.
Most anything makes a good cleaner. WD-40,Brakekleen,lighter fluid but the very best is hot,soapy water. As for lube,again most anything works even vegetable oil(some wont last as long though).

JohnBiltz
September 24, 2010, 04:00 PM
Different needs in different places. The military has different lube polices in different climates. A person who lives in the SW has a very different lube problem than someone in the north or the south. Arizona really doesn't really worry too much about rust but a lot lube that picks up sand is a problem, a pretty dry weapon is a good idea. Lube thickens in extreme cold. A guy in Florida is very concerned with rust. CLP is a good product, I never liked it but I have to admit its mostly for aesthetic reasons.

Sky
September 24, 2010, 05:02 PM
I would think the guys in a dry dusty climate would love Breakfree Clp because after it dries it leaves a thin coat of PTFE or Teflon. Just asking? Guns appear dry but in actuality they are running on a microscopic layer of PTFE. Just asking; would be good to hear from someone who uses The Breakfree Clp in a dry dusty climate. I don't know for I live pretty much in a swamp.

Jubjub
September 24, 2010, 05:23 PM
CLP is the bomb.

I shoot 10/22s a lot, and never clean them. Well, maybe once every year or two. When I do clean them, the last step is to coat everything with a thick layer of CLP and let it sit for a bit, then wipe all the parts absolutely dry. They will run for years, and thousands of rounds, without doing anything other than load them. Blue barrels do get a periodic wipedown to keep the rust protection going, but stainless guns are on their own. The boltface and such develop a thin coating of soot, but there is no buildup, and the gun just shoots.

HGUNHNTR
September 24, 2010, 05:54 PM
Most anything makes a good cleaner. WD-40,Brakekleen,lighter fluid but the very best is hot,soapy water. As for lube,again most anything works even vegetable oil(some wont last as long though).

I typically don't want to pour water into my firearm, but to each his or her own. I guess thats why they make new firearms.

Gord
September 24, 2010, 05:59 PM
I guess thats why they make new firearms.

It's funny how some people think water contact is going to instantly turn their gun into a rustbucket. Wonder if they hold a cute little miniature umbrella over their pistols when it rains? :)

jimmyraythomason
September 24, 2010, 06:05 PM
I typically don't want to pour water into my firearm, Hot water is used in the bluing process and does absolutely no harm to the metal. The BARE metal is immersed in soapy water heated to 180 degrees,then placed in BOILING clean water, Then placed into the bluing solution(typically) containing 4-6 gallons of water heated to 295 degrees. I rinse the parts with a water hose. Then place into clear boiling water and then into heated stop bath solution also containing water. I ALWAYS spray the still hot parts liberally with WD-40 and buff with 0000 steel wool. WATER does no harm to firearms. It is the lack of attention that causes the problem.

mbt2001
September 25, 2010, 12:24 AM
I just check periodically and reapply. For all the storage guns, I have them in 6 mil plastic bags, with a film of grease and some desiccant packs. So far, everything is peachy.

rhubarb
September 25, 2010, 12:36 AM
I don't want to pour water into my guns either. However, I live in South Texas near the Rio Grande. It's hot and it's humid. I often work outside and sweat enough to drink two or three gallons of water per day.

I want something that prevents rust. I carry a Glock and had rust on the slide when I used CLP. I coated the slide with Lee Liquid Alox and wiped it off after it dried. No more rust.

hemiram
September 25, 2010, 05:18 AM
I bought an old Star 30M a few years ago, it looked OK in the pics on the auction, but when I got it, it had been "lubed" with WD40, and had the trigger almost totally frozen due to the gunk the WD40 formed. I took the gun apart, and put some Dawn dishwashing soap in a pot of water and simmered most of the internal parts for a few minutes, except the springs, which I took to a friend's jewelry store and had him put them into the ultrasonic cleaner. After all the parts were done, I tried to use brake cleaner and some other stuff to get the crud out of the frame, but the slide and frame went into the ultrasonic cleaner too.

Once everything was cleaned, I soaked it all in Mobil 1 oil for a little while, and put it together and shot a hundred rounds through it. I sure wish I didn't have to sell it a couple years ago, it was a great gun, and once the WD40 crud came off, it looked almost brand new.

JohnBiltz
September 25, 2010, 07:53 AM
I would think the guys in a dry dusty climate would love Breakfree Clp because after it dries it leaves a thin coat of PTFE or Teflon. Just asking? Guns appear dry but in actuality they are running on a microscopic layer of PTFE. Just asking; would be good to hear from someone who uses The Breakfree Clp in a dry dusty climate. I don't know for I live pretty much in a swamp.
I don't use it myself here but its what we used in the military the various times I was in the mid-east. And that is what we did, put it on for cleaning then wipe it off. CLP works well. I just don't like having to shake it up to mix all the stuff in it, its not pleasant looking when its applied and mostly because its expensive.

orionengnr
September 25, 2010, 12:53 PM
If you want to see the results of a test using harsher testing methods (salt water spray) this one is interesting...
http://www.6mmbr.com/corrosiontest.html

jcwit
September 25, 2010, 02:17 PM
One thing that is never brought up in threads like this is the area of the country where one lives as to how much humidy is present on the average and how the firearms are stored, handled, ect., ect.

I use Mobil 1 motor oil and have for the last 10 years as both a rust preventive and lube, I have absoluty no problems with rust and the oil works for me, may not work for you, but soes me. Another product I use for very long storage is "inhibitor" by Van Patten Industries. Very long storage is ment as in years.

Sky
September 25, 2010, 04:13 PM
Good post and as the write up says:

Bottom Line--Eezox and Corrosion-X Are Superior
Use Eezox or Corrosion-X to coat your firearms. Eezox has the advantage that it goes on wet, but protects dry. Corrosion-X works nearly as well, is easy to apply, and is widely available. BreakFree works very well but starts to fade after repeated extreme exposure. However, we still like BreakFree because it penetrates into recesses better than almost anything else, and it is a very effective lubricant, not just a rust preventitive. You can also use thicker coverings like Rig Grease, Military Cosmoline, or even Petroleum Jelly, but these are messy to apply and a pain to remove......

I do not own stock in the manufacture of Breakfree Clp. And if any other product is as available or comes in line with the price of Breakfree "NOT Lp But CLP" then I will use it.

I have used Corrosion-x on the tail sections of a few Swifts (single engine aircraft) and it did work as advertised.

I doubt that many of us will be subjecting our weapons to an environment like a bad day for a Navy Seal but it is nice to know there are products that will help protect our cherished fire arms. Ya gotta like forums like this if for no other reason it makes you kinda go Hummmmmmm.

oldbanjo
September 25, 2010, 05:46 PM
This is what I've been looking for, Good info. I have always had a problem with my carry guns, even stainless steel. Just want to say this, have Duck hunted for many years, in salt water, have always used WD-40 and have never had any rust on my Browning. I do need something different for my carry guns. I don't want oil all over myself. THANKS

oldfool
September 25, 2010, 06:29 PM
well I have used a bunch of different stuff, and it all worked just fine
(it's just plain neglect that kills guns, not brand X vs. Z)
and jimmyray is right, water don't hurt 'em IF you wipe 'em dry right after and lube it
blackpowder guys been doin' it forever
(and I am not a WD-40 fan, but it do displace water)

I use Breakfree CLP now just because it's too doggone convenient to not use it

somewhere on this forum (same topic) there is a link to a Grant Cunningham article
and I am pretty sure he knows his stuff
IIRC, automatic transmission fluid (?)

Lawnman380
September 25, 2010, 06:50 PM
I have had good results with Strike Hold... http://www.strike-hold.com/

Webbj0219
September 25, 2010, 07:48 PM
about the soapy water to clean I might try that. In my S&W owners manual, in the cleaning chapter it said something about cleaning it the way you would your car. Or not using anything on the gun that you would worry about messing up your paint job on your car. And I use soapy water on my car. I just done leave it out to dry in the sun. So Im gonna try that next time. Ill just wipe it clean and dry and apply oil afteward. Thanx for the tip.

jimmyraythomason
September 25, 2010, 07:56 PM
WD-40 after the soapy(I prefer Dawn dishwashing liquid) water to remove the water that doesn't evaporate. Lube with your favorite lube. Works great!

The Sarge
September 25, 2010, 08:37 PM
I shoot a boatload of military surplus (corrosive) ammo and clean my guns just like they did in WWII in Korea etc. Water& Soap or Windex. Usually Windex...followed by WD-40 followed by Butch's or Shooters Choice mixed with Kroil about 50-50.
Not a spec of rust or "gunk" found anywhere on any of my many many rifles.:what:

I hog hunt and tactical train at least once a month. Rain or shine. I carry a small bottle of Windex and a small bottle of WD-40 with patches in the field. When I get back to the house I tear down and clean as described above.
Rain/Mud/Blood.....all my guns are pristine down to the last spring.

Now my go to weapons are AK-47's ( Saiga's modified) so they do not receive much love in the field...but rust? Nope....not a spec anywhere.

hardluk1
September 25, 2010, 09:02 PM
I have lived in south florida and now in nc mountians . Hunted from florida swamp ,AL, in rain and some what cold. Here down to the teens and Il. in the singles. Never had any problems with good old break free clp. About out of the old stuff and will have to start useing the new version. I have a couple handguns and a rifle that are from the mid 70's and never any rust and don't do anything special. I have handled the revolvers and just put them away . 10 months later time for hunting season and finger prints are in the oil there but no rust and still slick form clp. It does seem to hold up. Hope the version is good.

Sky
September 28, 2010, 10:20 AM
One thing about this thread I think depending on how much I shoot I will take my upper and put it in warm water with Dawn and let it soak. Take a compressor and blow out the "everythings" then lube. I would have never done that before reading this thread.

FLAvalanche
September 28, 2010, 10:41 AM
I use Inox products.

I work in a bait/tackle shop and Corrosion-X is big in the fishing world. Especially with the offshore guys. Most of the ones I know I've converted to Inox. I use the grease and spray lube on my guns and love it.

o Unforgiven o
September 28, 2010, 10:39 PM
I live in hot and humid central florida, and the town I live in is about 53% lakes which gives us super humidity and of course lots of sweating. That being said, after every use a misting of aerosol Rem Oil and a quick wipe of it on bluing and I have never had any rust in my guns. None of our hinges squeak either...;) Moisture absorbing packs on the safe help too.

snovvman
January 13, 2014, 11:23 AM
Greetings,

I realize that this is an old thread, but the information still applies, mainly for those who use WD-40. I'm not making judgement in any way, just delivering information:

http://grantcunningham.com/lubricants101.html

Mike1234567
January 13, 2014, 01:18 PM
I've seen a couple of comparison tests that included the new WD-40 LTCI and it did even better than Eezox.

Woops... I didn't notice how old this thread is... just clicked the "New Posts" button.

W L Johnson
January 13, 2014, 02:12 PM
Mostly stopped paying any attention to what gun zone says after coming across their 7.62NATO vs 308 article, in it they repeat the 7.NATO pressure unit switch screwup. Somebody needs to explain to these guys the difference between C.U.P. and P.S.I. pressure. Normally wouldn't bother me so much but they refer to themselves as "The Gunperson's Authoritative Internet Information Source" which sounds kind of pompous to me considering the mistakes in that article.

Art Eatman
January 13, 2014, 09:44 PM
Horse died.

If you enjoyed reading about "might wanna look at this" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!