Oh Geez, today I became my Dad...

PDA

ATAShooter
September 23, 2010, 06:30 PM
Getting a few years on me, and got tired of lugging a Glock 19. Traded it in today for a J frame. I have now officially became my Dad. What's next " Close that door, we aint heating the neighborhood"?? Or will it be trading in the Levi's for stretchy pants..... I will say, the little light j frame is a relief from the Ole 19.

If you enjoyed reading about "Oh Geez, today I became my Dad..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Marshall
September 23, 2010, 06:39 PM
Nothing wrong with that trade!

Nothing wrong with having both either, if affordable.

oldbanjo
September 23, 2010, 06:47 PM
I'll always have Levi's, I'm 65 and I'm real close to going back to my J frame MD36, this SP101 is getting heavy. But I will keep both guns. I"ll put it with my GP100 a good house gun.

dusty14u
September 23, 2010, 07:14 PM
Now go get you some shoes with velcro straps and practice your "Walmart Shuffle".:D

Sauer Grapes
September 23, 2010, 07:16 PM
I find myself sounding like my father more and more each week.....:eek:

I have the SP 3". I find myself looking more and more at my father's S&W 12-2 as an option for carry. He bought an original leather S&W belt holster for it when he bought it.

For colder weather carry, it's just so easy to carry.

BTW, I already use the "close the door, I'm not heating the outside!" ;)

Marshall
September 23, 2010, 07:58 PM
BTW, what model of J Frame did you get?

Fat Boy
September 23, 2010, 08:09 PM
In what for me was an amazing reversal of roles, a few years back on the 4th of July I was attempting to light a firecracker and managed to burn my thumb in the process...to which my 19 year old son replied "ok, give me the matches, since you don't know how to use them..."

J-frames are an excellent choice, BTW-

jimmyraythomason
September 23, 2010, 08:14 PM
trading in the Levi's I ditched the Levi's a long time ago when I learned they were anti-gun.

ATAShooter
September 23, 2010, 08:26 PM
BTW, what model of J Frame did you get?

Well Dad is long gone, but I still have his 37 Airweight. I didn't carry it due to if ever I find myself in a bad situation, I wouldn't have to fight to get it back from an evidence room ( saw a friend liked to never got his back ). Today I got a S&W 637 Airweight. Dads is blued, but I got the stainless so it would take some abuse. In all actuality, Dad would probably be a tad peeved, as he would say it was foolish to own 1 j frame and go get another. However, I couldn't take the chance of losing his.

jimmyraythomason
September 23, 2010, 08:29 PM
I couldn't take the chance of losing his.
Don't blame you for that at all!

Big Bill
September 23, 2010, 09:18 PM
ATA - the next thing is that you sell your hunting rifles; because, you no longer go hunting. Then you get rid of your shotguns because you bruise easily. Etc. Etc.

22-rimfire
September 23, 2010, 09:20 PM
Getting a few years on me, and got tired of lugging a Glock 19. Traded it in today for a J frame. I have now officially became my Dad. What's next " Close that door, we aint heating the neighborhood"?? Or will it be trading in the Levi's for stretchy pants..... I will say, the little light j frame is a relief from the Ole 19.

You'll like the J-frame. If you have kids, most parents tell their kids to close the door, we're not heating or cooling the neighborhood etc. Tis normal and if you say that to your kids, your Dad did just fine. Bet you close the door behind you. You'll never retire your Levi's however unless you like to wear those jammie bottoms. Hard to carry a J-frame in those however. Your Dad is wearing what he grew to like and you will do the same. :D You will see more and more resemblences to your Dad as you get older.

Reminds me of the Neil Young tune "Old Man". There is a lot of truth in that song.

KodiakBeer
September 23, 2010, 10:09 PM
Dad would be proud...

http://images.stanzapub.com/readers/2009/02/19/7_3.jpg

Marshall
September 24, 2010, 12:12 AM
Today I got a S&W 637 Airweight

That is precisely the Airweight I would buy myself. Good for you!

Enjoy the gun, and your Dads!

MikePGS
September 24, 2010, 01:12 AM
So tell me, how do you feel about the racket that they call "music" these days? :D

bsms
September 24, 2010, 01:33 AM
I'm in southern Arizona. It's: "Close the door...are you trying to cause a blizzard in North Dakota?"

rainbowbob
September 24, 2010, 01:35 AM
Chief's Special - Regular Cut Levis.

My Dad wore a suit and carried a Model 10.

Mother: "Close the door - it's cold outside!"

Son: "So I close the door - now it's warm outside?"

TexasGunbie
September 24, 2010, 02:04 AM
So when the J frame becomes too much, then you go for LCR, LCP, etc.?

CajunBass
September 24, 2010, 09:09 AM
The older I got the smarter my old man got. He must have been going to school or something at night. ;)

"HEY!! KNOTHEAD! Close the door. You born in a barn or something?"

harmon rabb
September 24, 2010, 11:42 AM
In what for me was an amazing reversal of roles, a few years back on the 4th of July I was attempting to light a firecracker and managed to burn my thumb in the process...to which my 19 year old son replied "ok, give me the matches, since you don't know how to use them..."

I'm 32; my father is 61. Of late, we've had a few role reversal moments. It's kind of funny when it happens :D

texagun
September 24, 2010, 01:42 PM
"Turn out the lights.......do you think I'm made out of money?"

Does that sound familiar?

I love the J-Frames and still carry them on occasion.
Nothing wrong with the Glock 19 either.

Fiv3r
September 24, 2010, 03:35 PM
J frames rock:) I have tried carrying semi autos as my daily carry, and I still do at times. However, the simple J frame is just so light and easy to keep on hand. I have my father in law's old Model 36, but I can't bring myself to carry it in case I ever lost it, damaged it, or (God forbid) had it taken away as evidence.

I bought an LCR to replace it, and I'm tickled pink. I feed just fine with a 5 shot snub on my hip or in my pocket.

OregonJohnny
September 24, 2010, 03:50 PM
I just turned 30, not what I'd call "old", and I've carried a j-frame for about 3 years, now. I love the little guy.

oldfool
September 24, 2010, 09:41 PM
only four things in this world that will never ever go out of style
(for them what appreciates 'em, anyway)

Levis blue jeans
j-frames
k-frames
music that has both words and melody that actually match
(and a strong, rhythmic beat can be had w/ any j or k frame with just a little practice)

jimmyraythomason
September 24, 2010, 09:53 PM
I'm still aspiring to "be" my dad who died in 2003. He taught my brother and me to hunt and shoot as his dad had taught him. When I went for my first pistol permit in 1972,Sheriff J.C.Carr asked me during the interview who my dad was( a common question to ask in these parts). When I told him who my dad was,he turn to the female deputy at the desk and said "write this man a pistol permit". He then turned to me and said "if you're half the man your daddy is you will have no problem renewing this". I'm still trying to live up to that.

wrs840
September 24, 2010, 10:06 PM
I ditched the Levi's a long time ago when I learned they were anti-gun.

Same here. This is a fairly important point guys... Levi Brands Inc. funds the anti groups as a regular habit.

Les

oldfool
September 24, 2010, 10:44 PM
well said, jimmyray
many of us here can say the same
I wish all could, memories worth trying to live up to, a very big part of what makes it worth the trip

oldfool
September 24, 2010, 10:45 PM
Same here. This is a fairly important point guys... Levi Brands Inc. funds the anti groups as a regular habit.

Les
yeah, I know
(that's why I refuse to buy their guns)

PS
I don't much like buying from wallyworld, either
China ain't exactly a hotbed of gun right activists, nor is Mexico..
but they the only place here in town that sells the cheap junk/food I sometimes need, things being what they are
and ammo prices still better than anyplace else around here, and they have pretty decent stock on the shelf lately
(it aint fair, it ain't right, but I pretty much know what the meaning of "is" is, sorry as it sometimes is)

Grey Morel
September 25, 2010, 12:45 AM
You MUST be old if a Glock 19 needs to be 'LUGGED' :D

lloveless
September 25, 2010, 01:16 AM
"I'm 32; my father is 61. Of late, we've had a few role reversal moments. It's kind of funny when it happens" FUNNY FOR WHOM! ha ha.
ll

Flobert
September 25, 2010, 01:33 AM
I hope Wrangler Pro Rodeos are OK?

I know Levi's is a leftist outfit, I don't know where Wrangler stands.

ArchAngelCD
September 25, 2010, 06:17 AM
Today I got a S&W 637 Airweight. Dads is blued, but I got the stainless so it would take some abuse.
I'm not being picky but the S&W M637 isn't Stainless, it's mostly Aluminum Alloy. Actually, the M37 is too but with an Anodized finish on the Aluminum.

Strahley
September 25, 2010, 11:49 AM
I couldn't part with my G19...I'd have to have both :D

Bullnettles
September 25, 2010, 11:58 AM
I'm in Texas so carrying a glock is almost out of the question since I barely wear jackets in the winter. Bought my J-frame when I was 22 right before I got my CHL, never looked back. 1911 is fun too, but I guess that's old person thing too?

Strahley
September 25, 2010, 12:04 PM
Why is carrying a Glock out of the question? When I carry my G19 IWB, sometimes I forget it's even there. Printing is of no concern either

oldfool
September 25, 2010, 12:06 PM
S&W M637 isn't Stainless, it's mostly Aluminum Alloy...M37 is too but with an Anodized finish.

shucks, I thought they were titanium...not that it matters, I prefer the weight of steel myself, stainless or blue will do for me

If you enjoyed reading about "Oh Geez, today I became my Dad..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!