What is/are your favorite inherited firearms?

PDA

sxshep
September 24, 2010, 01:34 AM
I recently inherited a Boito over under shotgun from an uncle, that was my grandpas before his death in 2006.

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x225/shepshep240/Cell%20phone/a86b1510.jpg

I also have a Remington 572 that my father received from my grandpa when he married my mom... pictured in the center.
http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x225/shepshep240/My%20guns/IMG_1415.jpg

How bout you? I'll never sell these guns...

If you enjoyed reading about "What is/are your favorite inherited firearms?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Dimis
September 24, 2010, 03:20 AM
My fathers glenfield (marlin) 30-30 only because it was his and i will cherrish it untill my children have it and beyond
same goes for his stevens 22 and my grandfathers 16 ga single shot and 7mm japanese rifle

on a not so sentamental note my brother just gave me a hi point carbine im recently obsessed with

c01
September 24, 2010, 04:33 AM
My wifes grandfather left me a 40's era 32 win special. He used it for Elk and Deer. I like it because it has a well used and cared for feel. (WIn 94)

D

Doug b
September 24, 2010, 04:54 AM
An 1878 Colt double barrel shotgun with hammers.:D:D

clance
September 24, 2010, 07:44 AM
I know that the question was in the singular but these came to me as a set and will be passed along as a set with instructions never to separate. A Winchester 1892 Rifle converted in the 1950s to 44 mag. and a S&W pre-29 that my dad purchased NIB in 1956. In addition to these firearms I also inherited a Sheffield Bowie that my great-great grandfather carried through the Civil War with the 44th NY.

If you couldn't tell there is a common theme with all 3 pieces.

Cmiller21b
September 24, 2010, 08:25 AM
I have an old 1915 Stevens 12 ga shotgun that was my Great Granddaddy's. It's modeled after the old Dreadnaught battleships and has a thick steele breech. Killed my first squirrel with that old gun. Out of all the guns I have, THAT one is the most near and dear to me!

ffr1910
September 24, 2010, 09:52 AM
Standard Products M1 carbine and a Remington Sportsman 12ga autoloader-bill

alsaqr
September 24, 2010, 10:04 AM
A Sig 210 pistol left to me by a good friend. The gun has .30 Luger and 9 mm barrels as well as a .22 LR kit.

Just One Shot
September 24, 2010, 10:22 AM
The ONLY gun that's been passed down to me is an old Harpers Ferry 1813 muzzle loader that belonged to my great grandfather. I was told that he and my grandfather use to use it for hunting.

propex
September 24, 2010, 11:44 AM
A Fox 12 guage double, model b. My father bought it in 1947 4 weeks before I was born, He killed his fist deer with it and I killed mu first deer with it many years later

Tommygunn
September 24, 2010, 11:46 AM
1944 Inland M-1 Carbine, 1950 Belgian made Browning Auto 5.
Both belonged to my father. The carbine was a Korean War bring-back.

dagger dog
September 24, 2010, 04:52 PM
Colt Woodsman Target 3rd Model
Colt Officers Model Target .38 Special 4"

Jim Watson
September 24, 2010, 04:58 PM
I have my Uncle's Charter Arms Pathfinder .22. He sold off his other guns upon relocating to Assisted Living.

I have my Mother's Kit Gun.

My Dad, not a Gun Person, sold his Police Positive at a yard sale, of all things. It was no beauty but I would like to have kept it as a memento anyhow.

BaltimoreBoy
September 24, 2010, 05:30 PM
My Father-in-law made me the present of a flintlock rifle - I am glad to say that I have not inherited it as he is still alive, though he is the best part of his way through his ninth decade.

It is only .30 caliber, a bit unusual for a charcoal burner. It was hand restored by a very senior friend of his in the 1950's. The gun was found rotting in a barn somewhere in Kansas or Missouri, and it was restored with a peice of 'gnarly' maple that had been seasoning for a few decades.

thorazine
September 24, 2010, 06:20 PM
My grandfathers high standard model b.

I think it was built in 34' ish.

I'd never sell it.

I'm not in to older guns but it is awfully fun shoot and scary accurate.

I've been throwing around the idea of threading it and shooting it suppressed but I am not sure if I really want to modify it in any way.

Valkman
September 24, 2010, 06:22 PM
My Dad left me a Sharps 1860's 4-barrel derringer. Neat little gun!

Sauer Grapes
September 24, 2010, 06:33 PM
My father left me 2 handguns. S&W mod.12-2 .38spl and a Colt Tagetsman 22cal. Both are LNIB cond. and wonderful guns. I also have his Browning Superposed Lightning 12ga. Too bad it has salt wood stocks on it. :(
My grandfather gave me a LeFever Nitro Special 16ga. SxS when I was 13. I told my wife to put it in the ground with me. We called him PopPop, he was my hero. :)

My father and me never really got along, but I would be hard pressed to sell the guns he owned. I will probably give them to my nephew at some point. He's the only family member that likes guns.

pacerdude
September 24, 2010, 06:34 PM
My late Uncle's Remington Speedmaster .22 caliber rifle. I will never get rid of it! It's one of the few things I have left from him.

TexasGunbie
September 24, 2010, 06:51 PM
My Stoeger Coachgun when my ex-girlfriend left me for another man.

Acera
September 24, 2010, 07:57 PM
An AC mfg'd P-38 removed from it's previous owner in South Viet Nam, by the uncle that shot that man.

DFW1911
September 24, 2010, 09:52 PM
A Winchester 1300 12 gauge. I got it as a gift when I graduated high school, so it's not inherited per se, but I'll never get rid of it.

It resides next to my bed.

FROGO207
September 24, 2010, 10:04 PM
M1 Carbine that was my grandfathers. Also was the first firearm ever that I shot (age 4 with help).:D

Nasty Ned
September 24, 2010, 10:18 PM
My sole inherited gun is my Dad's Stevens 44 Cal. Shotgun. I've already given it to my Son. Lots of folks haven't even heard of such a gun. They shoot a cartridge called 44 XL with a brass case (Same size al the 44 Mag.) which has a paper shot package crimped in it. They also sold a round ball load, but, we never had any of those.

bannockburn
September 24, 2010, 10:27 PM
A single shot .22 bolt action rifle, made in Germany, probably in the 1920's. No manufacturer's markings, serial numbers, or proof marks; it only has the importer's name and address, along with "Made in Germany", on it. It's styling is somewhat militaristic, with an OG web sling. Overall it sort of resembles an Italian Carcano carbine. It was my fathers and he used it for target practice and to occasionally hunt rabbits with it. I will pass it along to one of my children or to one of my nephews when the time comes.

Hatterasguy
September 24, 2010, 11:02 PM
Irwin Pedersen M1 carbine from Grandpa, plus ka bar.

JTHunter
September 25, 2010, 12:46 AM
These first two have barrels that may be shot out but all three were my grandfather's. One is marked "Colt .38 D.A." and MAY be a "38 S & W" rather than a 38 Spec. It is about 90 years old and is the gun that he kept under the cash register in his store.
There is also a Colt 32 ACP that is also very inaccurate. Last is a little Colt Jr .25 ACP that WAS NIB (until I got it!). That little sucker with its 1 7/8" barrel can out shoot both of the other pistols!

rdb
September 25, 2010, 01:07 AM
My dad's model 88 Winchester. And my mom's dad's (my grandpa's) model 70. Both last year unfortunately. I hunted with my dad's rifle last year and this year I'll use my grandpa's. It's like hunting with them one more time. Maybe next year I'll use my rifle, maybe not.

b.thomas
September 25, 2010, 01:07 AM
None from my father, all went to my brothers son (pops oldest grandson).
I'm fine with it because I had more 35 years as my dad's hunting pardner, more then anyone else in the family. The means more to me then a couple of guns. Besides that, anytime the family gets together to shoot.........I can blast away all I want to with them!:D:cool:

kbbailey
September 25, 2010, 01:11 AM
Great-great grandfather's forged barrel m/l from Ohio
Great grandfather's m/l that he carried "out west" to Colo. and back.(on horseback)
Grandfather's 97 Win and Piper 16ga sxs.
Dad gave me a 4E Ithaca trap gun years ago. (he has the mate to it)( I think he had visions of us both shooting them in competition)

See...it's not entirely my fault that I'm a gun nut, It's a family tradition

QuietEarp
September 25, 2010, 01:20 AM
I only have 1. My grandfather's Winchester 42. A .410 pump shotgun. Even though it is more worn than any gun I own, it is more valuable monetarily. It will also be in the family forever. I am proud of my family and proud of my grandfather.

hatchetbearer
September 25, 2010, 06:43 AM
I havent inherited any firearms, and it's doubtful I will. But my kids will at least get my Smith and Wesson M13

Toaster
September 25, 2010, 06:37 PM
Poor ol' pititful me. I have yet to be the recipient of any heirlooms. But in case the old man is reading this: "You're the bestest Dad ib the whoooole world! Now about that Ruger Mini 14.."

weisse52
September 25, 2010, 11:21 PM
P08 Luger my father brought back from WWII. All matching numbers + mags and holster.

kikr
September 26, 2010, 02:19 AM
I have a Commision rifle that I inherited from my father, and he inherited from his.

I was supposed to have received it when I graduated from high school but we had all thought it had been lost in a house fire. After my father passed my brother and grandmother found it in my dad's storage. It was the first rifle I ever fired...but back then the gun was about two feet taller than I was.

lookshigh123
September 26, 2010, 03:11 AM
2 feet??

S&W-Keeper
September 26, 2010, 12:31 PM
I have a mint model 19 that I bought from my Dad many years ago, when he passed away I got it back, I am saving it for my grandson.

sxshep
September 26, 2010, 04:44 PM
No pics? Half these models I've never heard of lol

Pumpkinheaver
September 26, 2010, 09:10 PM
I have my grandfathers 1961 vintage winchester model 100 in .308win. I inherited it in 2003 after his passing. I have killed a few Missouri whitetails with it but it is now a safe queen. It means too much to me to possiably damage it.

essayons21
September 26, 2010, 09:31 PM
Thats a tough one, but probably this:

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q177/collingscb/interestingguns009.jpg

1918 Erfurt Luger, brought back by my granpa.

Powerglide
September 27, 2010, 05:36 AM
Well guns around my house[ due to 2 boys] seem to disappear so the ones I like get hidden.Running out of places. Of course, neither son knows anything about how the guns get to their house.
Inherited, I like my Grandads Model 12 Remington.I even have the registration card that came with the rifle when he bought it in 1920.

racine
September 27, 2010, 07:34 PM
Never got anything from my father gunwise per-se but my father in law really likes me and has given me a loaded SA 1911 and a SA M1 Garand/mint condition. I love my in laws as much as my own and they reciprocrate more than I deserve.

grog18b
September 27, 2010, 08:19 PM
My Grandfather's Ranger, double barrel shotgun I used as a kid, and thought was a huge baseball bat. Now, having seen it again for the first time since I was 16... It's tiny... My how it has changed! :D

He bought it from Sears when he was a kid, and handed it down to my uncle, who, being a city dweller, couldn't find a use for it, so, now it is mine. I took it apart, and it still had weeds in it from the last time I carried it when I was 16. :) Awesome.

bamajoey
September 27, 2010, 11:28 PM
My dad's LC Smith double barrel circa 1900-1910. This gun has killed many truckloads of quail. Dad died in 1975, the gun hasn't been fired since.

stratman26
September 28, 2010, 11:22 PM
My grandfather's Remington 512 he bought a few years before WWII. Awesome rifle, and still shoots every weekend, and never gives me a problem.

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m232/davidbrown34669/IMG_2280.jpg

Deltaboy
September 28, 2010, 11:32 PM
My Grandpa's Remington 16 guage model 11 shotgun he bought with money from his trapline in 1953.

MyTFAL
September 29, 2010, 06:02 PM
My Grandfather was a sailing man, he single handedly sailed a 36' Coranado throughout the Bahama's in the late 70's early 80's, this Ithaca went with him. Now it protects me and my family, I cherish it as I cherished him.....

http://i709.photobucket.com/albums/ww94/31-Kilo/DSC03899.jpg

waterhouse
September 29, 2010, 06:28 PM
MyTFAL, what is the finish on that one?

Thanks for sharing guys, some nice stories and nice guns.

MyTFAL
September 29, 2010, 06:52 PM
Ithaca called it satin nickel

HOOfan_1
September 29, 2010, 06:55 PM
90% of my firearms are inherited. I love them all. Remington 700 BDL, Remington 1100, Winchester 1894, W.W. Greener side by side, J.P. Sauer side by side.

lot21
September 29, 2010, 10:09 PM
Just got these back from and uncle this evening. Father passed away in 2005 and I have been slowly reclaiming his guns. Marlin 980 DL 22 mag, given to me by dad when I was 14.

Savage Fox Model B double barrel .410. Loved that gun.

http://i669.photobucket.com/albums/vv60/dklost22/marlinsavagbe.jpg

Wispa
September 30, 2010, 12:46 PM
It's nice to read these posts and think to how you all have some great guns with lots of memories, or history, to go along with them.

I'm not going to have any inherited firearms. My father enjoys shooting but never held onto anything he had. I know he hunted a lot in his younger years and enjoyed that quite a bit. I have an uncle in Tennessee who has a nice collection which should go to his son and grandchildren.

I could say I inherited the habit of always wearing ear protection from that same uncle in Tennessee. I think I was about 14 years old and the first gun I ever fired was one of his revolvers. I know it was a .357 snub nose but I don't remember the make or model. We were out by his house which is surrounded by mountains. There was a river behind me and across from that was a large part of the mountain that was like 100 foot solid stone wall. He set up a paper target in the woods so my back was to the water and I was aiming towards the woods. So far so good. Well, he's really old fashioned and didn't use hearing protection ans I guess he figured I didn't need it either. What did I know? This is my first time being around, and using, a gun of any type aside from the various BB and pellet guns I had.

So I stand facing the target, pull pack the hammer and BANG! I couldn't hear a thing for minutes. Well, there was a pipe that was cemented in the ground that shot up fresh spring water like a fountain. I could here the water splashing on the rocks. Even that sounds strange, like radio static. I couldn't hear my uncle or myself talking. I was not a happy camper.

Sorry if I went too far off topic. :)

Sanjuro82
October 2, 2010, 10:58 AM
I have a few.

Winchester Model 1892 .32-20 WCF octagon barrell (manufactured in 1893). - was my Great Grandfathers
Winchester Model 90 .22 LR (1924 i believe) - was my Great Grandfathers
Smith and Wesson Model 36 Chiefs Special
Belgium Browning Hi-Power (1960s)
Remington 514 .22 (not particularly valuable, but it's the rifle my dad gave to me at age 10)
1954 Remington Wingmaster 12 Gauge

Hot brass
October 2, 2010, 07:17 PM
Smile and says, :neener:

Kingofthehill
October 2, 2010, 07:26 PM
S&W Model 12-2.

My father came here legally from El Salvador and when he became a US citizen the first thing he did was buy a firearm for protection.

This is it and he handed it down to me. It will NEVER leave my possession.

http://i55.tinypic.com/29xyruq.jpg

Leanwolf
October 2, 2010, 08:43 PM
My great grandfather's Colt's 1860 Army .44 cap-'n-ball pistol.

He got it as a "battlefield pickup" after one of his "engagements" in the Civil War, from a dead Yankee officer. He and his brother (my great great uncle) were in Co. B, 40th Georgia Inf.

L.W.

Ole Coot
October 2, 2010, 08:56 PM
Has to be my Dad's Remington Browning bought new and used until his death. Also my grandpa's Winchester 97. He grew fond of them during WWI and a few others that don't mean as much as these two.

the foot
October 2, 2010, 10:13 PM
Has to be my uncle Mason's L C Smith side by side, field grade 16 gauge from 1932. Best quail gun I own, can't be beat.

Stevie-Ray
October 2, 2010, 11:21 PM
Dad left me a Colt 1903 Pocket auto.

R.Ph. 380
October 3, 2010, 12:23 AM
My Grandad's Colt 1903 Pocket Pistol he carried for 60 years. Built in 1919 Original grips. Well worn with "character"

ArtP
October 3, 2010, 01:29 AM
My father, who is still alive, gave me an original Remington Rand 1911 45 ACP in beautiful condition. I think it was made in 1945.

My father worked in a horrible part of Oakland California, surrounded by barbed wire (a machine shop). He used to keep the 45 in his tool box. Naturally it was surrounded by grease, oil and other hydrocarbons that kept it in very good condition.

My father always prefered revolvers and I gave him a S&W 357 with all the fixin's and just bought him a Rem 870 for next to his bed. Guilty was I?

XxWINxX94
October 3, 2010, 01:58 AM
95% of my guns are inherited. A fantastic collection with a variety of fine firearms that I couldn't be more happy with.

Everything from an 1873 Winchester to a Romanian AK, to a vintage S&W model 29, to a Beretta A303 NIB, and an unfired Winchester model 94 Centennial won in a shooting contest.

The few I bought were to "fill in the gaps" of the collection. Such as a Garand, a Taurus Judge, a P38, and Mosin Nagant.

JohnnyOrygun
October 3, 2010, 02:11 AM
About 20 years ago I bought my Father a S&W Model 60 for Fathers Day to replace his lost Colt D.S., when he passed away a few years ago Mom gave it back to me. She recently passed too and I ended up with her old Charter Arms Undercover. The model 60 has a little more sentimental value to me, since it was a gift from me to my Dad. But I will take care of both of them and never plan on selling either one. I will pass on the Charter Arms to my son when he is a old enough for it, but I think he will have to wait for my passing to get the model 60, which Lord Willing will be a long time!

the iron horse
October 3, 2010, 10:47 PM
A 16 ga. single shot shotgun my grandafther
gave to me a few years before he died.

He bought it, through mail order, from Sears and Robuck around 1915.

It was a nice shotgun and I hunted with it and brought home a lot
of squirrels.

About a year before he passed on, he asked me to bring it back to him.
He was having trouble with some dogs getting into his trash and he wanted
to scare them away.

He died not long after and if any of you know how it goes after a grandparent dies without a legal Will......

I never saw that shotgun again.

Captcurt
October 4, 2010, 09:50 AM
I have my grandfather's old model 60 Winchester 22. It has a big gouge in the stock from a bike wreck and looks as if it was dragged behind a truck. The gun wouldn't bring $20 from a blind man, but I will own it until I leave this world.

mcmurry
October 4, 2010, 10:33 AM
I've got several inherited shotguns, but my favorite is my first gun, a .22 rifle I got when I was two. I'm sure that the reason I got it and the reason it's my favorite, is it belonged to my grandfather and is quite literally busted. I have shot it but the barrel is bent and the stock is broke and epoxied back together, curtesy of an attacking hog,no name or numbers anywhere on it, it looks and operates like one of those Crickets. Shoots .22 shorts and longs but not Long Rifle.

HOWARD J
October 4, 2010, 11:09 AM
NONE

Dad was in WW1 &WW2----he did not like guns................

Rittmeister
October 4, 2010, 02:44 PM
My granddad brought home a Femaru .32acp semi-auto from WWII. Picked it up off a windowsill in a deserted town that his unit moved through in France. When he and Grandma broke up the house and moved into a retirement community, he gave it to me. It shot straight and worked well, but sadly it was stolen from my apartment almost 10 years ago :(

asahrts
October 4, 2010, 08:15 PM
M1A carbine - pieced together with various replacement parts over the years, but the receiver is from Dec 1941. still looks & shoots great

S&W K frame revolver my grandfather carried as a police officer.

Blown6L
October 4, 2010, 08:37 PM
Close call. Either a Winchester 1906 in 22 long or an Colt Officers 22lr. Guess I'm a bit more partial to the Colt. Has the adjustable front sight and a beautiful trigger pull. Both were my grandfathers which were passed down to my Uncle who has since passed along to me. I'll do the same when the time comes. Either my son or nephew will wind up with them.

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii21/KySilverado/IMG_0570Medium.jpg

84B20
October 4, 2010, 10:30 PM
I only have one firearm that was inherited and it was from my FIL, the rest I bought myself and it is this:

http://www.compupal.com/Darkroom/1942 SHT L.L. III 8550A.jpg

I did add the scope and bipod.

Shimitup
October 8, 2010, 03:01 AM
So far it's my Granddads Remington model 24. I've had it 30 years now, a sweet shooter. Mine was made in 1933. For those that don't know the gun, it's the Browning design .22 with a take down barrel.

JTH
October 8, 2010, 06:54 AM
A double barrel 10 gauge shotgun. I'm still trying to get more infor on it, it has Continental enscribed on barrel with date 1864. In it's condition, I wouldn't even consider shooting it but sure wish I could find more history on it.
JT

Stinger97
October 8, 2010, 11:51 PM
My 1917 303 British Enfeild, Savage 300 from my father and a Mossberg 12 guage pump and a bolt action .22 that my grandfather told me and my father to give to me on his deathbed.........R.I.P Grandpa

Iam2taz
October 9, 2010, 12:00 AM
.16 gauge Browning Shotgun. - Its got the engraving... Sweet Sixteen on the side... and it has the best pattern of any shotgun I have. Many a ham has come home from the shoot at Thanksgiving because of that shotgun. Handed down from my Granddad.
Hey, they are having a turkey shoot in a couple of weeks..... I wonder.....;)

My mom has a .32 Colt pocket pistol that will be mine someday. My grandfather carried it everywhere! There was no telling what he could pull out of those bib-overalls!:D

rozziboy18
October 9, 2010, 12:10 AM
ruger security 6 357 my grandpa's
ruger m77 270 gift from maw and paw

Furncliff
October 9, 2010, 12:27 AM
Hi Standard Supermatic 101 including an Olympic .22 short conversion, circa late 1950's. Left to me by my dad. We were separated for many many years, but reunited a few yeas before he died. We had a great deal in common. The Hi Standard is enjoyed by my oldest daughter too and she has laid claim to it on my passing. It's a fine pistol and I'm happy she enjoys it too.

Sommerled
October 9, 2010, 02:21 AM
win 94 in 32 special
Eli whitney 1852 mississippi musket
english Tower brown bess flintlock
1903 Springfield sporterized by grandpa

loose cannon
October 9, 2010, 08:22 AM
what a cool thread.
inherited guns just reek of the history of those who came before us.
if we want to keep them we will vote and elect a more pro freedom govt.

i have my fathers ithaca hammerless double 12 and colt agent .38
and my moms raven .25acp she bought when we moved from florida in 1981.

but truth to tell id be ecstatic if they still protected their former owners.

i miss them and hope to see them again someday

Reloader_Kev
October 9, 2010, 10:56 PM
Nothing from Dad yet but my baby brother died unexpectedly at the age of 44. We used to shoot pistols together a lot and I got his (2) 9mm pistols. A Springfield Armory XD and a Kahr. He bought the XD because he shot mine and liked the feel of it. After a year I turned around and gave the XD to my older brother. I didn't need 2 of the same model. I still think of the times we shared and miss him a lot.

kj

fireman5069
October 9, 2010, 11:47 PM
Ruger Security Six from my Dad.

cid71
October 10, 2010, 12:30 AM
At this point in time, my favorites are two Colts inherited from my grandfather. One is an accurized Government model .45 ACP, and one was a .38 Super converted to fire .38 Special Mid-Range wadcutters. He used both pistols for bullseye shooting, and they were the first handguns I learned to shoot. I just had them both out for cleaning today :cool:

Don357
October 10, 2010, 12:44 AM
A story that's painful to tell, but true nonetheless. My Grandfather gave me his 12 ga Belgian Browning A-5 before he died, much to the displeasure of only one of my uncles. Anyway, While I was in the Army stationed in Korea '81-'82, my wife filed for divorce and when I got back stateside, all of my guns, including my "Paw-paw's" Browning, and all of my guitars, were gone. Every time I see an A-5 in a pawn shop, I check the serial number. I don't know what I'd do if I found it, but I check anyway.

AZ Desertrat
October 10, 2010, 04:49 PM
My 28ga. SXS Charles Hellis.....from my grand dad.

GRAYRID3R
October 11, 2010, 04:10 AM
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm157/grayrider1863/07040816261.jpg

C96 Broomhandle matching serial #s indicate mfgr, date apx. 1917 Brought back by my great uncle, 6th armored division, 3rd army, under General Patton at the Battle of the Buldge. After this picture was taken, I took the gun to a gunsmith, who cleaned and lubed it and pronounced it safe to fire. I have about 100 rounds through it in honor of my great Uncle. It is now retired to the safe.

offthepaper
October 11, 2010, 01:52 PM
My Dad's Remington 742 in 30-06. Many a deer was dropped by that rifle. Many a meal shared because of it (and him).

silverking
October 11, 2010, 04:58 PM
I inherited my dad's Model 1936 Marlin .30-.30 lever gun. Serial #15

The story is that at the age of 18, my dad was with a group of friends outside the town tavern. It was during deer hunting season in central Michigan. An older imbiber staggered out of the bar in need of a few dollars for some more beer. Dad asked if he had his rifle in his car and did he want to sell it. The guy accepted dad's offer of $5.00, gave him the rifle and happily went back into the tavern for his fill of ten cent shells.
Dad has been gone for a year(died at 90). I still have and will use the Marlin if I hunt again. I got my first 8 point with it in 1958. Haven't used it much but I think my grandson might.

357sigRog
October 12, 2010, 04:35 AM
My Winchester pre 64 model 30-30, killed my first deer with it.

Rugby8
October 12, 2010, 02:33 PM
Yut

scythefwd
October 12, 2010, 02:54 PM
My IH garand.

FLAvalanche
October 12, 2010, 03:13 PM
An old friend of mine gave me his Stevens Model 583.16 12 gauge bolt action shotgun from the mid '40s. Yep, it's the one with the baseless recall. I love it.

I was also handed down a Smith & Wesson Model 1 1/2.

rascaldog
October 12, 2010, 05:22 PM
My Dads Model 12 Winchester, my grandads 97 Winchester. Also have an Ithaca 1911A1 and a Winchester M1 carbine that were my uncles given to me by his son. They are all gone now but these guns will live on forever. I have a son who loves guns they will be his someday.

VancMike
October 12, 2010, 09:21 PM
My grandpa's "Western Arms" 12-gauge double. According to various authorities, it was made by Ithaca to compete with other inexpensive doubles made by the various armsmakers. I shot ducks/upland game for years with it (learned not to use short magnum loads) and it's been retired for some time now.

Mitoh
October 14, 2010, 06:10 PM
My dad gave me his 30-40 Krag when I turned 13 and passed the NRA Hunter Safety course. It was my right of passage. I cherish that rifle, more so now that he has passed on.

If I recall, he bought it after he got out of serving in the Navy in WWII. He said a local business owner had just put it in the front window of his shop with a $12 price tag on it as my dad was walking into the store. (Man, how things have changed!!)

I remember getting "looks" and comments from hunting buddies when I showed up with my Krag for a day of hunting. It's kind of heavy & not very pretty, but it'll knock down deer like nobody's business, as long as I do my part!

I haven't been hunting for too many years, but I think it's time for a change. Guess I better start learning how to reload.

natman
October 15, 2010, 04:29 AM
I have two Remington model 11 shotguns that I got from my grandfather. One is a worn out 20 ga and the other is a brand new 12. My grandfather hunted with the 20 for many years and decided to get a new 12. He flushed a pheasant and emptied three shots at it with the 12 and watched the bird fly away. He walked back to the car, swapped it for his trusty 20 and that how I came to have a seventy year old shotgun that has been fired three times. :)

7thCavScout
October 15, 2010, 04:00 PM
My Uncle passed away several years ago and left me an Ithaca 1911A1 manufactured in 1944 and a DWM P08 Luger (numbers matching) with holster and capture papers, that he brought back from the ETO after WWII. My Dad (still alive) passed on to me a very nice Winchester M1 Carbine.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v200/7thCavScout/ChucksGuns004.jpg

788Ham
October 16, 2010, 02:32 PM
I have my Pop's .300 Savage that my Mom gave him in 1948. Pop used this rifle for many years, shot truck loads of deer and elk with it. My Pop has been gone for 3 1/2 years now, but I'll never forget the sunny afternoon when he handed his rifle to me and told me to take good care of it. I surely wish Pop still had it, I truly miss that old gentleman.

sm
October 16, 2010, 02:46 PM
...I inherited from Mentors & Elders and Special folks I worked with
What I do have are "replacements", or "reminders". I still miss the miss folks these are all attached to.

So much is gone and I have accepted the fact, I never can or will be able to replace these firearms, that said:

-Marlin 60. When my lady partner was dying, she made me promise to go buy myself one, and I did.

-Colt Detective Special, circa 1928.

-H&R ".22 Special" seven shot revolver.

-H&R Topper Jr., 098, Youth 20 ga single shot shotgun.

This is all I have left, period! Except one more handgun used for CCW, and this one has no sentiment, or soul. Hell, the damn thing is plastic!

hueytaxi
October 16, 2010, 04:36 PM
One of my two grandfathers served in the Spanish American War ind in the 70's he gave me his Springfield 45-70. That has been my pride and joy. A year ago I returned it to the oldest living relative that bore his surname (I did not). It will now remain within the Fullerton family and be passed down through his sons and their sons.

I still habe another much more worn Springfield from my other grandfather (who I never knew) along with a couple turn of the century cheap double hammer 12 ga. From his collection, I also have a Harper's Ferry 1855 rifle which becomes my favorite.

Erik M
October 16, 2010, 06:33 PM
A 30+ year old 870 Wingmaster with some very nice custom scroll work and glossy walnut furniture. I have an ancient Mossberg that is willed to me locked away in a safe somewhere, I havent seen it since I was about 10 years old.

69Falcon
October 16, 2010, 07:35 PM
1952 Winchester Model 94, .30-30

JTHunter
October 31, 2010, 01:20 AM
There are two - from my Dad, a .32-20 revolver that one gunsmith said that, if it had the box, would be classed at 98-100%. There are two tiny spots of "polish" on the tip of the barrel from being put in the leather holster and that's all.
From my Grandfather, a Colt revolver marked ".38 cal. DA" on the side of the barrel. EITHER it is "shot out" (est. age - 90 years) OR it is a .38 Long Colt and not a .38 Special. Don't know for sure. It's one of three that I got from him, but it is the most special of the three as that is the one that he had kept under the cash register of his store for years.

walker944
October 31, 2010, 05:01 PM
Just this week my dad gave me a Winchester 1890, in .22 WRF, made back in 1913. It had the barrel swapped out in 1960. It originally had a .22 LR barrel, but now has a Remington model 41 barrel in .22 WRF. So, the thing is clearly not original state, but i really don't care. In fact, I'm looking at getting it rechambered in .22 Magnum, if possible/feasible.

45Broomhandle
November 1, 2010, 02:04 PM
Back in the 1920s and '30s my Dad traveled many of the backroads of Indiana. These same roads were also often traveled by one of his fellow Hoosiers, John Dillinger. John was considered no threat to the average citizen, only a danger to banks and police stations.

However a LOT of other thieves in those darkening depression era days were not as choosy about WHO they took valuables from. So Dad packed this little Colt. This one's an early five-digit serial number. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v635/mauser/EMBLEMS/THUMBUPSMILIE.gif

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v635/mauser/COLT/COLT19031.jpg

There's evidence to suggest this model of Colt was also one of Dillinger's favorite personal weapons...

Best regards ~ ~ ~ 45Broomhandle

vikinggirl
November 1, 2010, 05:01 PM
Remington Fieldmaster from my Aunt who passed two years ago. She was a crack shot and I wish she had been able to teach me more.

gearchecker
November 1, 2010, 11:22 PM
I was given a Savage Model 325 Bolt action 30-30. I had it reblued to protest the ironworks and it's an impressive shooter
Now that Hornaday make leverevolution ammo in 30-30 I can increase my ranging easily out to nearly 200 yds. I've looked for spire point 30-30 ammo and it's very hard to find and if it's available, it's very expensive.
The Hornaday ammo is affordable.
http://i671.photobucket.com/albums/vv72/gearchecker/Savage%20325C/100_0114.jpg

MtnSpur
December 11, 2010, 05:40 PM
As far as collector appeal we inherited a Winchester 1983 Chief Crazy Horse chambered in .38-.55 and a 1985 Boy Scouts 75th Anniversary chambered in .22LR both in original boxes w/sleeves and attached tags. Pretty weapons that will be occassionally shown and promptly returned to the gun safe :)
Favorite though? Tossup #1: 1942 Springfield Armory M1 Garand or #2: Ruger Mini-14 (ranch carbine) chambered in .223, it's a sweet shooter and a tackdriver.

brandon_mcg
December 12, 2010, 12:46 AM
beretta a390 12 gauge shotgun from my dad. doesnt have interchangeable choke tubes but i can kill a dove with this thing all day long.

sks from my granddad.

hso
December 12, 2010, 01:03 AM
The firearms I inherited were stolen, but I've more than made up for it with collecting.

The Browning patented Colt .32 Pocket Pistols I've put in my collection are in direct response to the first handgun I learned to shoot.

Robert Wilson
December 12, 2010, 02:35 AM
My paternal grandfather made himself a .45 caliber caplock rifle well before I was born. That was the first gun I ever shot. It was taller than me and was heavy enough that I couldn't hold it up. I had to hold it down at a 45 degree angle, then swing it up so that momentum carried it to horizontal, and mash the trigger as it pointed somewhere toward the target.

My first shot was at a paper target stuck to a strand of barbed wire, and of course, I clipped that wire. So I tell people I learned how to shoot that morning and how to string barbed wire that afternoon. Many years later I was surprised and delighted to learn that he'd willed the rifle to me.

I also have the ancient old Remington 721 that my father used to take to school with him during deer season, slung over the handlebars of his bicycle. He'd leave it with his teacher until the bell rang, then hunt until dark.

And the nameless side-by-side 12 gauge his father gave to him. He loved to tell the story about his first squirrel hunt, at the age of 12. He lost the coin toss with his hunting buddy so when they spotted the squirrel (who immediately ran to the other side of the tree), his job was to go around and scare the squirrel back to the "shooting" side. He did so, and then heard "Blam!" "Blam!" He said that somehow he didn't get struck with any pellets himself, but that two close-range hits from a 12 gauge don't leave any parts that could be identified as ever having belonged to a squirrel.

And the .228 Ackley, complete with correspondence between P.O Ackley and my grandfather, and bullet making notes in my grandfather's hand...

And the Stevens single shot that's been in the family so long that nobody remembers where it came from...

And... And...

I can't pick a favorite. I treasure all of them, and hope my own boys will feel the same, when their time comes.

JTH
December 12, 2010, 06:12 PM
Not exactly inherited but a Christmas present from my late parents when I was 13, now 57. It's Winchester Model 72 tube fed bolt action .22 rifle. Has to be somewhere between 75-100 years old. Dead on accurate with iron sites. Thanks Mom and Dad, sure do miss you.
JT

tangomike706
December 12, 2010, 09:21 PM
My Father passed on in October , and left to me and my brothers assorted firearms , many of them bought by us , for him. (Guns make great Father's day gifts!!) of all of them . I cherish the M1 Carbine the most . I and my brother combined forces to but it for him about 5 years ago . and It made his day when he opened the case . He left it to me . and not only is it a terrific M1, but it's a great reminder of happier times.

speedway
December 12, 2010, 09:51 PM
I have never inherited anything, but God willing, I will pass down a few choice firearms to my Sons when the time comes.

Johnny Lightning
December 13, 2010, 09:08 PM
I inherited a Browning Citori 12 GA trap style w/ long ported barrel and a 30-06 Winchester model 70 both have been great firearms and I a nice reminder of good times w/ my mom.

hotajax
December 14, 2010, 10:38 PM
My dad's Winchester Model 12. It sent many pheasants to meet their maker.

Zombiphobia
December 14, 2010, 10:44 PM
my only inherited gun is a Remington Sportmaster Model 841.

Manufactured sometime in the late 30's-early 40's.

Had a Remington Nylon 66 that my dad was given when he was a kid and had given to me, but someone stole it.

donjr5
December 15, 2010, 12:32 AM
Grandpa's first gun, an H&R Topper 12 ga, and his favorite, a Winchester model 75 .22LR, with a custom trigger and the original Lyman A5 scope. Not very valuable as far as old guns go, the 22 still shoots as sweet as Mom remembers that it did. My daughter learned to shoot with it...makes 4 generations to enjoy the gun.

rocky branch
December 15, 2010, 04:51 PM
HSc my dad brought back from his European adventure with the 506th PIR.
No story, just a neat little pistol.

If you enjoyed reading about "What is/are your favorite inherited firearms?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!