rebound spring pin

PDA

dashootist
September 24, 2010, 03:21 AM
There's a large pin inside the rebound spring of my K frame Model 14. But my L frame 4" 686 does not have this pin. Is my 686 suppose to have this pin?

If you enjoyed reading about "rebound spring pin" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jim K
September 24, 2010, 02:38 PM
That pin is a trigger stop; it was used on target models to reduce or eliminate trigger backlash (trigger movement after sear release) which is detrimental to accuracy. The early target models had a trigger stop that required a machine cut in the frame behind the trigger, a drilled and tapped hole, and a small stop and screw. The simple pin replaced all those.

It can be removed if you want, or you can adjust it as needed by replacing it with a piece of nail that you can cut and try by filing until the stop is the way you want it.

Jim

Old Fuff
September 24, 2010, 08:03 PM
Jim "hit the nail on the head," (pun intended). :D

To work like it should, VERY CAREFUL fitting concerning the length of the pin is required. It was first used by S&W in N-frame target revolvers, and in most that I've examined the pin was too short and didn't do anything constructive. Unless you are very picky about backlash in single-action trigger pull, and your revolver doesn't have the pin, don't worry about it.

Jim K
September 24, 2010, 09:17 PM
FWIW, I also have never found a factory one that works as it should; as Old Fuff says, they are always too short, though they do take out some of the backlash. But to have them work properly, you have to cut and try, cut and try, which the factory simply can't do and keep the cost reasonable.

In fact, the old stops were never set properly from the factory, either, but they were easier to adjust even though the sideplate had to be removed.

Jim

dashootist
September 24, 2010, 11:02 PM
The first time I removed the rebound spring, it flew across the room and landed under a chair. I found the spring but not the pin, even after looking for a long time. Either the pin is on the ground somewhere or my 686 didn't come with a pin from the factory.

rcmodel
September 25, 2010, 01:40 PM
S&W stopped using the pin in the spring trigger stop years ago after concerns from law enforcement about them rendering a gun out of action if a small chunk of dirt or wad of belly button lint got between the end of the pin and rebound slide pin.

They used them only in Target guns for awhile, and eventually stopped using them all together.

I think all the Performance Center guns with trigger stops now use a drilled trigger with an external screw.

rc

Jim K
September 25, 2010, 07:13 PM
Thanks for the update, rcmodel. I never had a problem with the pin, though as I said above, I never had one that worked, either, unless I made it work.

Jim

dashootist
September 26, 2010, 01:46 AM
They used them only in Target guns for awhile, and eventually stopped using them all together.

That is not true. My brand new "Classic" Model 14 has the pin inside the spring. My friend's 686 circa 1990s (pre lock, pre MIM) also has the pin.

If you enjoyed reading about "rebound spring pin" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!