Opinion on if this is a good deal.

PDA

Hold My Own
September 24, 2010, 03:00 PM
I'm talking to a friend of mine right now, and he's offering me $700 for my CETME .308, and my 2nd Gen Glock 17 each with one mag.

The CETME I bought used, so there's no telling how many rounds have been through it but I've never had a single problem with it. I'm the 2nd owner of it. The Glock 17 I bought brand spanking new (local gun store lowered the prices since the new Gen 4's were coming in and I purchased it off of a friend of mine the day after) and I've put 180 rounds through it to date.

So, should I pull the trigger on this deal or no?

They both have sentimental value as they were the first pistol and rifle I'd purchased respectively, but I think I'd be okay with them going to a close buddy. Plus, I've been looking to upgrade to a .40 or a .45 even though I love my 9mm.

If you enjoyed reading about "Opinion on if this is a good deal." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
NOLAEMT
September 24, 2010, 03:03 PM
I would say no...

you can't replace them with something of equal quality for nearly 700 dollars...

Gator06
September 24, 2010, 03:03 PM
No.

hso
September 24, 2010, 03:04 PM
What do the various gun value sources (blue book, gunbroker completed auctions, etc.) show the values to be for these guns? Reliably replacing the CETME will cost you at least $500 (which is the lowest price I found on a quick net search) and the Glock is nominally findable for $300 - $400 if in good condition. That puts the lowest replacement price right now (or the price he could get them before tax or shipping or NICS) at around $800-$900. Tack on the extra cost for another $50-$100 for a total of $900-$1,000 and it sounds like he's getting a good deal for under $900. It is only a good deal for you if you have something already identified that you want more for the $700 being offered than you want to keep the firearms.

Do you intend to purchase a .40 Glock? Have you handled the .45 Glock yet to find out if it fits your hand? Do you intend to switch from Glock even though you imply that the 19 shoots well for you?

waterhouse
September 24, 2010, 04:43 PM
I think selling them separately you should be able to get over $900 for them, so I'd say it isn't a good deal for you.

PT1911
September 24, 2010, 04:54 PM
simple aswer, no.... 500+400=900 would be a GOOD deal for him on the two... 700 is far too low...IMO...900 would be my "buddy" price.

Full Metal Jacket
September 24, 2010, 04:56 PM
no....

slowr1der
September 24, 2010, 06:08 PM
Nope, as said, they are worth way more than that. Even at $900 I think he is getting a good deal. Glocks sell quickly in this area for $425 or so, and sometimes you can get more than that for them. If they have night night sights expect even more.

I also wouldn't sell them as like you said they were your first rifle and first pistol. Chances are if you sell them now, you will never get them back, and you will probably look back on it and regret it when you are older. Due to this I wouldn't even sell them for $900. However, I certainly wouldn't sell them for $700 even if I did want to sell them.

bannockburn
September 24, 2010, 10:45 PM
Hold My Own

Your friend's offer is too low; sounds like a real deal for him at those prices. And you say he's a "close buddy"? Not to me.

You say these guns have sentimental value and you really enjoy your Glock 17. If you don't really need the money right now, why sell at all? Save your money and buy something you want, like a new .40 or .45 when you've got the cash for it. Gives you something to look forward to, and you can still shoot the guns that you have now.

gunnutery
September 24, 2010, 10:55 PM
I will agree with everyone else and say NO.

JTHunter
September 25, 2010, 12:58 AM
Hold - your name says it all. The 9 may not have the firepower of the 45 but it has quantity to back it up. Having to reload in the middle of a fight is NOT desireable.
And, as NOLAEMT said: you can't replace them with something of equal quality for nearly 700 dollars...

Legionnaire
September 25, 2010, 10:44 AM
Don't do it. Others have already shown that it's not a good deal financially. And you say yourself that these are the first two guns you owned. Check out all the threads on seller's remorse. Many regret letting those first few get away. I still have my first handgun, rifle, and shotgun, and they aren't going anywhere in a hurry.

I can't speak to the CETME, never having owned one. But there are many who prefer the 2nd gen Glocks to the later models. Were I you, I'd hang on to both and save up the $$ for another purchase. If you find that a .40 or .45 really "does it" for you and the G17 becomes a never-used safe queen, THEN consider selling it.

If you enjoyed reading about "Opinion on if this is a good deal." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!