Went to the gun show yesterday.

PDA

zahc
December 14, 2003, 09:24 AM
Yesterday was a gun show in medina OH. I called off work (too cold to do anything anyway) and rode up there (1.5hr drive) with my dear old dad.

Even in the parking lot I started to get psyched. It was pretty cool watching people carry guns around, and so nice. It reminded me how much gun shows are an embodiment of american freedom.

We were mostly looking for a shotgun for grandpa to replace his extrememly worn sears.

Saw a 1000 yard target. I contemplated buying one for my room, but I didn't have any space for it.

Saw a case full of 45-70 revolvers:what:

Saw a $50,000 Henry that looked perfectly ordinary, but was supposedly a prototype.

Saw a 4 foot long perforated choke tube that entertained us for a good 20 minutes thinking of gags we could play on hunting buddies with it.

Handled and XD for the first time, and got yelled at by the nice lady because I wasn't 21. So I had Dad pick them up and hand them to me. But I had a sorry attitude after that.

Bought 2 $5 fishing lures for 1.50 apiece NIB.

Saw a shotgun that looked EXACTLY like the Ithacas pumps there, but said Remington on the barrel:confused:

We found a perfect copy of grandpa's shotgun (a Stevens) only barely worn. We payed $70 for it, twice what he paid for his sears brand new. We gave it too him for early Christmas. He was the happiest I remember seeing him.

I love gun shows.

If you enjoyed reading about "Went to the gun show yesterday." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
VaughnT
December 14, 2003, 09:45 AM
Glad you had a good time, Zahc. There's a show in town today and I'm hoping I have fun, too.

Don't know if I need anything, but maybe a shotgun or something will catch my eye. Prices down here seem to be ridiculously high, but I might find a book or just buy another Wilson 47D/T magazine for carry.

Mainly, I just go to see all the guns. Good times aren't hard to find when you're surrounded by iron and wood!

BowStreetRunner
December 14, 2003, 10:26 AM
I too enjoy gunshows
where else but america can you find so much weaponry in one place and it be legal?
its great
even though some dealers are grumpy, overpriced, and dumb, there are nice ones who price right and respect you, so its worth going
BSR

MicroBalrog
December 14, 2003, 10:30 AM
where else but america can you find so much weaponry in one place and it be legal

You people are lucky.:uhoh:

BluesBear
December 14, 2003, 10:17 PM
zahc,

The Ithaca Model 37 was originally made by Remington as their Model 17 in the 1920s and early 1930s.
Remington felt there were a few gliches with it so they sold the rights to it to Ithaca who changed a few small details.

Remington also originally made the Model 11 which later became the Savage 750 and Browning Auto5.

zahc
December 15, 2003, 09:13 AM
Thank you, that was bugging me.

Ryder
December 15, 2003, 10:22 AM
I hunted extensively with Stevens single barrel 12 gauge when I was a teen. The gun only gave me trouble one time. The shell extractor snapped off the firing pin upon closing. The firing pin would sometimes stick out of the breech face. Probably needed a new return spring or was dirty? Not the gun's fault, it was improper maintenance. I think I sold the wood stocked one for $30 and the plastic one for $60. Good gun, don't think your grandpa will be wearing this one out.

What did you think of the XD?

zahc
December 15, 2003, 10:44 AM
Well, I liked it a lot better than Glocks. Looks like a great gun. Nice trigger.

But it happened to be sitting right next to a Springfield compact 1911 and, well, guess which one I'm still thinking about. Something about 45 auto..

Must-have-1911.

Oh yeah. The lady had modified beretta magazines there for sale as normal capacity mags for the XD's. Anyone know about the legality of that? I know the XD40 mags used as XD9 normal caps were legal, but modified beretta mags?

4v50 Gary
December 15, 2003, 11:01 AM
I was in Nashville on Dec. 7 and the mother of Civil War Gun shows was there. You could buy a Springfield Rifle Musket or Enfield that looked brand spanking new. Of course, you pay anywhere around $2k for that quality. There were Colt Revolving rifles that looked pristine. My favorite (not on sale) was a cased Whitworth rifle that included moulds, different sights, different cartridges, cartridge tins, glass vials for powder charges (English sporting use). Didn't buy any guns but I bought a couple hundred dollars worth of books.

Captain Scarlet
December 15, 2003, 11:44 AM
going to gunshows has taught me a lot about all the different kinds of guns
and accessories available, it helps me decide on my next gun purchase
since I can see and compare all the different makes and models and ask
questions, Ive met some really friendly dealers that are fun to mingle with.
Gunshows are also fun even if you dont buy anything, no two gunshows
are alike, you never know what you might find, I always bring a few items
with me to gunshows to use for trading or selling.

Ryder
December 15, 2003, 09:20 PM
but modified beretta mags?

People are using them. Common understanding appears to be that it is legal as long as they still function in the firearm they were originally intended for.

Thumper
December 15, 2003, 10:00 PM
You people are lucky.

Luck doesn't have a damn thing to do with it.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?s=&postid=665828

ChickenHawk
December 15, 2003, 11:33 PM
Whew! Thumper, your comment is right on target!

ChickenHawk

SASS#23149
December 15, 2003, 11:43 PM
Glad to see so many folks have the right attitude about gun shows.They are NOT a bargain hunters paradise.The ARE a place to see and compare a lot of guns and hang out with lots of gun nutz.:)
so many folks (on other BB'sof course) whine and compaling about show prices.These guys are there to make a profit,not running a garage sale.
I don't go as often as I used to,but I still enjoy going.!

Mike Irwin
December 16, 2003, 12:03 PM
"Saw a shotgun that looked EXACTLY like the Ithacas pumps there, but said Remington on the barrel"

Ithaca purchased the manufacturing rights to the Remington Model 17 shotgun and continued it as the Ithaca Model 37.

zahc
December 16, 2003, 12:30 PM
So was it worth anything? It had $400 on it.

If you enjoyed reading about "Went to the gun show yesterday." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!