The sequel to a novel born on THR, MONSTER HUNTER VENDETTA, in stores this week

PDA

Correia
September 24, 2010, 08:28 PM
My second book, Monster Hunter Vendetta, is in stores this week.

For the long time THR members, you know the story. My first novel, Monster Hunter International, was originally self-published and sold primarily to THR members. It was an action/fantasy novel written for people like us, who watched horror movies and wondered why somebody didn't just hurry up and shoot the monster. So I wrote a book about a group of contractors who specalized in taking care of monster problems through the application of superior firepower.

It was a book by a gun-nut, for gun-nuts, but somehow everybody else liked it too. :)

It was the little internet gun-forum book that could, and it went on to become a huge hit. I got a publishing contract with Baen Books, and the Baen version of Monster Hunter International went on to be a national bestseller.

Many of you read the first one. Well, I'm happy to announce here (with the mod's permission of course) that #2, Monster Hunter Vendetta is in stores everywhere this week. It will be on the center New Paperbacks display at every Barnes & Noble.

There are free sample chapters and short stories available at my blog here: http://larrycorreia.wordpress.com/online-fiction/

You can order it on Amazon at: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1439133913/ref=s9_simh_gw_p14_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0BQ8QBD0P0B3AZB9VFPV&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846

Or Uncle Hugo's has some autographed copies available: http://www.unclehugo.com/prod/ah-correia-larry.php

I've got a new series coming out in May 2011, which is a alternative-history/fantasy/noir/pulp/adventure set in 1932. But I think you guys will like it because where else can you find a secret society that battles the forces of evil led by Blackjack Pershing and John Moses Browning?

I'm also collaborating on a new sci-fi series with John Ringo. That's a resume builder. :D

Well, anyway, thanks THR. Writing online fiction here is what launched my writing career.

If you enjoyed reading about "The sequel to a novel born on THR, MONSTER HUNTER VENDETTA, in stores this week" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Brian Williams
September 24, 2010, 08:39 PM
Ordered another MHI and 2 of Vendetta tonight from Hugo's

Tim the student
September 24, 2010, 08:59 PM
Good stuff. Congrats.

longdayjake
September 24, 2010, 09:19 PM
I want!!!!

Dr.Rob
September 24, 2010, 09:39 PM
Excellent! I'll be sure to get a couple copies!

Dnaltrop
September 24, 2010, 09:43 PM
Congratulations, I needed a new book with the anklebiters sleeping through the night again.

Unistat
September 24, 2010, 11:41 PM
Sweet. I already read the e-arc, but I need dead trees to pass around to friends.

gym
September 24, 2010, 11:54 PM
N i c e

hso
September 24, 2010, 11:57 PM
Trying to figure out which THR members are the various characters is fun too. You never get them right, but you're still convinced this or that one is you.;)

QuietEarp
September 25, 2010, 12:11 AM
Sweet. More monsters getting killed. I was starting to miss the MHI bunch. I can't wait to read it.

The first MHI is awesome. What THR reader hasn't put themselves in Owen Zastava Pitt's shoes when it was time for him to deal with vampires or the like.

Mot45acp
September 25, 2010, 12:37 AM
Ordered from Hugo's. Re reading the first one to be up to speed. Great stuff keep it coming.

kd7nqb
September 25, 2010, 02:35 AM
re-read MHI not too long ago and pre-ordered my MHI 2 a while back cant wait to get it in the mail.

Boberama
September 25, 2010, 04:47 AM
I never knew about these. I'll get them both.

Travis McGee
September 25, 2010, 10:40 AM
Congratulations!

Papa John
September 25, 2010, 10:48 AM
Please consider making both books available for Kindle.
John

Correia
September 25, 2010, 11:15 AM
Papa, they are on Kindle, just not through Amazon. (my publisher is having a fight with them because we won't use their stupid DRM anti-piracy software, because Baen doesn't like to treat its customers like criminals). Go to www.baen.com and click on the webscriptions tab. You can download it there for $6.00.

JohnBT
September 25, 2010, 12:33 PM
That's it, I'm going to B&N.

I can't wait on my pre-ordered Amazon copy "Shipping Estimate: October 1"

Bullnettles
September 25, 2010, 12:46 PM
Never heard of it, but I will ordering both today, been looking for something new to read. Thanks and best of luck to you!

Smokin Gator
September 25, 2010, 02:23 PM
I remember seeing a post quite a while back where someone was talking about writing a book and the general idea for the book. I figured, yeah, yeah another guy who thinks he's going to write something. I finally ran across it at Barnes and Noble, bought it, and am in the process of reading it right now. I love it. It's great fun. All the gun world references and a hot gun girl. I'll be picking up the second one when I can. thanks, Mark

Al Thompson
September 25, 2010, 07:11 PM
Man, I hate B&N, but looks like I'm heading that way... :D

danprkr
September 25, 2010, 08:40 PM
About time :p

Seriously, congratulations, and keep up the good work.

kwelz
September 25, 2010, 09:33 PM
I already purchased the pre-release copy for my iPad. Now I have to buy it again. That Correia. Not only do guns drain my pocketbook but now other shooters are trying to do it as well.

Seriously though, this had better be just the second in a long line of these books. I want to be sitting in my wheelchair reading about the adventures of Owen Jr.

strambo
September 25, 2010, 09:58 PM
Congrats Larry! That is awesome, loved your THR fiction, loved MHI and love Ringo (I've only read his non-SciFi). Best of luck and I'll be gettin' Vendetta.

hso
September 25, 2010, 11:18 PM
I went to BAM and they pulled a copy from storeroom for me today (they had them inventoried, but not scheduled to go out until next week). :D

So much for getting to bed at a reasonable time.:scrutiny:

NukemJim
September 26, 2010, 12:21 AM
I'm also collaborating on a new sci-fi series with John Ringo.

WOW! My 2 favorite authors writing together :) :what:

I check Borders today but no joy.

I'm realy looking forward to this.

NukemJim

Travis McGee
September 26, 2010, 11:12 AM
Larry, How much do you make per Amazon order? Does Baen break that down for you?

I have also been considering Kindle, but Amazon will only pay me about $3 per book, vice $9 for a hard copy.

Matt

Red Tornado
September 26, 2010, 01:04 PM
Finally! From the time I pre-ordered 'til now, I almost wore out my original self published copy and finally bought the Baen version so I could pretend I was reading a new version, and not the original for the 6th time. :D

Couldn't be happier. BTW, I still haven't figured out what to put my MHI patch on. My skeet/trap vest is the leader, but I hate to commit, since it's irreplaceable. Maybe I'll just frame it eventually.
RT

P.S. Thanks for the notification, now get to work on MHI3. We'll be waiting, you know.

Nikdfish
September 26, 2010, 03:05 PM
Got mine! Picked up the e-version at Baen's webscription.net site last night & had it sent to my lovely new Kindle gen3 (having just upgraded from a long-in-the-tooth old eBook reader). I had just finished a book, so now I can get started on MHI-V.

Nick

Correia
September 26, 2010, 04:30 PM
Thanks, guys.

Travis, you may want to go look up a mystery/thriller writer named J.K. Konrath who's been experimenting with putting his old, out of print, backlists on the Kindle himself. He's found that if he puts them at a really low price ($1.99) in his case, he's been getting tons of sales from the Kindle impulse purchasers. He's been pulling down $12k a month off of Amazon. He'd be in the same boat as you, but his primary advantage would be showing up on more lists since he's got like 28 books out.

For me, the electronic and print rights belong to Baen. I get a higher percentage on e-book sales than I do on paperbacks. The paperbacks it is all a percentage of coverprice, so it doesn't really matter if it sells through Amazon or B&N or an indy. Though I did steer my preorders for signed copies to Uncle Hugos, a big indy, because they report to the different bestseller lists.

youngda9
September 26, 2010, 04:36 PM
Pardon, but doesn' this belong in the buy/sell/trade section?

Bullnettles
September 26, 2010, 04:48 PM
Just ordered both from UH's, can't wait.

Correia
September 26, 2010, 04:58 PM
youngda, that's why I got permission from the mods first. Considering this thread is about a novel written by a THR member, edited by THR members, the original cover was done by the THR founder, that was publicized by an online fiction serial posted on THR, the original customers of the self published version were THR members, that got a big book deal because of said-sales to THR members, and the cover quotes on the first book were from reviews by THR members, I guess they figured it was okay.

Heh... I retired from behing a moderator a few years ago, and I can still anticipate how long it will take for certain responses to be posted. :p

Jim Watson
September 26, 2010, 07:16 PM
In my hands today.

Webbj0219
September 26, 2010, 09:11 PM
hmm, this sounds pretty interesting might have to check it out. I can relate to what you said watchin horror. Im always complaining about the dumb moves ppl make. That movie with the cars that drove themselves by Steven King comes to mind.

Matt Smith
September 26, 2010, 11:06 PM
Hey congrats! I will be picking up both books soon!

Big_E
September 27, 2010, 02:45 AM
I guess it's off to B&N tomorrow. I have seen previous posts about your books and planned on getting around to buy them, so now I will.

Are you going to do a book signing tour or anything? I know I can get signed copies off the website you linked but I like to meet the authors if I can. This is good for me because the last book I read was Glen Beck's An Inconvenient Book. Which was awhile ago. Figure I might as well pick up some Heinlein and finish up my reading of the Space Odyssey series as well. (I obviously love sci-fi).

I am also interested in the JMB Secret society book. I love stories where historical figures are all parts of secret societies in an action setting.

Good luck with your writing. I'll be sure to tell my dad about how to get MHI on his Kindle.

Travis McGee
September 27, 2010, 08:34 AM
Larry, thanks for the inside info!

MikeG
September 27, 2010, 02:45 PM
One of the gun enthusiasts on the next shift suggested MHI to me. I read and enjoyed it, so I got MHV at Barnes and Noble yesterday. I started it at work last evening, and its good. Its a fun experience driving home on a lonely country road at Midnight after reading about monsters. :eek:

jeff-10
September 27, 2010, 06:55 PM
I just ordered the original from Amazon. After I read that (an assuming its entertaining:evil:) I will get the sequel.

danprkr
September 28, 2010, 12:13 AM
About 15% in, and it's great so far.

41magsnub
September 28, 2010, 12:55 AM
So.. I figure this book is good for about 3-4 hours of entertainment. When does book 3 come out???:evil:

HorseSoldier
September 28, 2010, 01:39 AM
Forgot that I'd pre-ordered after reading and enjoying MHI, but Amazon tells me my copy is on the way. Looking forward to another installment.

Dr.Rob
September 28, 2010, 02:37 AM
Ordered Today!

JohnBiltz
September 28, 2010, 08:10 AM
So.. I figure this book is good for about 3-4 hours of entertainment. When does book 3 come out???
Its over 600 pages long. It will last longer than that.

41magsnub
September 28, 2010, 11:15 AM
Its over 600 pages long. It will last longer than that.

Not so much...
<--- Speed Reader

:)

max popenker
September 28, 2010, 11:32 AM
Larry, do you accept a fan-art? :P

after reading the original MHI i sketched a parallel story in my mind, set in the 1960s Soviet Union decorations. Now i only have to put it on the keyboard/screen and post online ;)

unfortunately, i must first finish my 2 other books, which are also gun-related but absolutely non-fictional ;)

btw got MH-V in early e-version and enjoyed it as much as the first one. Good work, and we sure need more stories like it

saltydog452
September 28, 2010, 02:46 PM
Amazon hasn't proven to be 'user friendly' using a pre-paid debit card. Kinda smacks out loud cause I ordered other stuff not handled by Amazon.

B&N works tho'.

I am looking fwd to the book. One of the additional copies is gonna be a gift to our #3 Son, and accompany a MHI Tactical Bib and Body suit for my newest Grand-Daughter.

salty

LiquidTension
September 28, 2010, 03:24 PM
I guess I'm off to B&N. I need something to read after I finish the Mistborn novels. Now where's my signed copy of the first one....

BBQLS1
September 28, 2010, 03:31 PM
I really enjoyed the 1st book. Looking forward to reading this one.

Dravur
September 29, 2010, 10:00 AM
I dunno...

I read MHI and I was like... meh... not enough guns. I mean, come on, I have more guns than that in my collection. I mean... Geez, I hunt monsters all the time and yes, I use the silver bullets, holy water and garlic rounds and they work great.

Why, just the other day, I was staring down a Vampire and he just gave up when he realized who I was and what I was there to do.

So, let's get more realism in the books, more guns and next time.... put me in the book

:neener:

Correia
September 29, 2010, 11:24 AM
Okay, more Dravur for realism. Noted. :p

HJ857
September 29, 2010, 11:48 AM
Best news I've had in a while, Christmas has come early!

Thanks Larry and keep up the great work.

snorko
September 29, 2010, 12:46 PM
Picked up a copy at Barnes & Noble today. Very prominent cardboard display at the escalator! Congrats Correia. Still kicking myself for not getting an original hardcover w/ patch.

fastbolt
September 29, 2010, 02:01 PM
Well, I made the apparent mistake of pre-ordering through Amazon when I learned the book was going to be released when this thread was started.

Imagine my disappointment when I saw the book for sale on the shelves of the local Barnes & Noble bookstore before Amazon has even shipped my copy.

So much for pre-ordering ...

BTW, I've been toying with the idea of sewing patched on the sleeves of one of my range jackets. Maybe one for each of the armorer classes I've attended over the years. That would line both sleeves and take up some of the breast area. If I do, I'm toying with the idea of ordering a MHI patch and slipping it in to see if anyone notices. ;)

Correia
September 29, 2010, 02:15 PM
Speaking of patches and if anyone notices:

http://larrycorreia.wordpress.com/2010/09/01/mhi-sneaks-into-stis-american-handgunner-advertisement/

Pretty sweet. :D

JohnBT
September 29, 2010, 02:17 PM
Amazon has shipped my copy they say, but estimates a Monday 10/4 delivery. Pfui.

It's raining and I want to get started on it. I really am going to B&N. I bought a loaner copy of the first book too.

james_bond
September 29, 2010, 03:37 PM
I am so pumped just finished MHI again. my copy of Vendetta has been shipped and is in route.

Jim Watson
September 29, 2010, 03:41 PM
Grinding my way through. I probably should have reread MHI first, there are so many references to backstory.

Series fiction is popular with writers as well as readers. They get to reuse characters they develop. Even more so in science fiction and fantasy, they want to get more use out of whole worlds already designed. The main problem there is that the challenges have to get more and more difficult to keep the characters busy and the readers interested. It can eventually get completely out of hand. QV 'Skylark of Valeron.'

Bart Skelton
September 29, 2010, 04:21 PM
Congratulations on that feat! As I found out, breaking into the fiction business is next to impossible - I sure can't seem to get it done (though I'm often chastised about all my stuff being fiction). My best to you and I hope for your continued success.

QuietEarp
September 29, 2010, 04:41 PM
I got my copy yesterday at Barnes and Noble. Already on the first page it says "take care of business", just like my belt buckle. It was nice to go into a major store and buy a book I truly wanted. Sweet.

longdayjake
September 29, 2010, 04:44 PM
I just got it. I was surprised to see it proudly displayed at the book store here. I hope it makes you super rich.

Correia
September 29, 2010, 05:06 PM
For something that started out as being written totally for an audience of my fellow gun-toting internet gun-geeks, it is kind of awesome to see it sitting just inside the front door of Barnes & Noble's across the nation.

And I just got the Nielsen Bookscan numbers for last week. Looks like MHV is going to be a national bestseller! BOO YAH!

springmom
September 29, 2010, 05:21 PM
I cannot begin to tell you how AWESOME it was to walk into Barnes & Noble this afternoon, and see that on the front display as I walked in. You deserve it, you have earned it, and I'm over the moon for you that you're getting the recognition you should. Of course WE knew we loved your writing a long time ago :D

Can't wait to get started on it!

Jan

statelineblues
September 29, 2010, 05:44 PM
Ordered my copy today from Amazon - should be here in the next 3 days...:D:D

dovedescending
September 29, 2010, 05:53 PM
Just read the online chapters of MHI yesterday... I'm adding these to my Christmas list :) Good stuff man.

Big_E
September 30, 2010, 02:36 AM
Just started MHI this afternoon. The only location at my B&H of Vendetta was in the New Sci Fi rack. They also only had 1 copy of MHI on the shelf so I told the B&H employee that they need more copies on the shelf ;)

I'm only on chapter 3 of MHI but it is good. There are also several parts where I chuckled. Will continue reading tomorrow.

Patriotme
September 30, 2010, 11:59 AM
I loved the first book and just started your new novel. I got my wife into MHI and she's bugging the hell out of me to finsish MHV so she can get her hands on it.

Al Thompson
September 30, 2010, 12:18 PM
One of the great things is that MHV is actually better than the first! :D

alemonkey
September 30, 2010, 09:12 PM
Just got my copy....starting it tonight.

JohnBT
October 2, 2010, 10:49 AM
My copy was on the doorstep when I got back to town last night. :D

So much for Amazon's Monday 10/4 delivery estimate. :scrutiny:

Travis McGee
October 3, 2010, 09:33 AM
It must be quite a thrill to see your novel in a display box near the front of B&N!

Correia
October 3, 2010, 02:53 PM
Yeah. I totally geek out when I see it there. That's nationwide for this whole week.

Dr.Rob
October 3, 2010, 06:04 PM
Finished it last night, all I can say is Larry has topped his last book indeed. BUY THIS BOOK!

Looking forward to Hard Magic too!

Otahyoni
October 3, 2010, 08:30 PM
I was just reading MHI today. Read the first 5 chapters of MHI2 online, and it's every bit as good as the original.

I HAVE to get MHI 2 tomorrow! :D

hypnotrader
October 3, 2010, 08:36 PM
Quick question, one spine shows Fantasy and the other shows Science Fiction. Which is it?

JohnnyOrygun
October 3, 2010, 09:53 PM
Got my copy in the mail today, not enough time to finish it yet between family and school! But so far so great !

Correia
October 3, 2010, 10:01 PM
I would say it is contemporary fantasy. Mostly. :)

danprkr
October 4, 2010, 07:48 AM
OK finished it, where's #3?

Travis McGee
October 4, 2010, 08:42 AM
Larry, how many copies were made in the first printing of MHV?

Correia
October 4, 2010, 11:53 AM
Travis, I'm sworn to secrecy on those numbers. PM inbound.

Bullnettles
October 4, 2010, 12:21 PM
Larry, I'm about halfway through your first book and honestly, lost a couple hours of sleep staying up reading it. Anything you've got, I'll read. Now to find one of those dang patches...:evil:

Correia
October 4, 2010, 02:01 PM
Bullnettles, I've got those for sale on my blog. www.larrycorreia.wordpress.com click on the Buy Stuff tab.

And thanks. :)

statelineblues
October 4, 2010, 02:53 PM
Got my copy last Friday - finished it in 2 days! Great Job - really enjoyed it!

Now, about that "Dead Six" series....:p

Sky
October 4, 2010, 03:56 PM
You have done something many others only dream of. Congratulations on a job well done.

Correia
October 4, 2010, 06:20 PM
The novelization of Dead Six is done and in front of my publisher. It isn't exactly up Baen's alley, but I'm just waiting to see if they want it or not.

Now that is a novel born on THR. Heck, born? Actually written on THR. :p

JohnBT
October 4, 2010, 08:31 PM
Your Monster Hunter Nation site is #4 on the results list from a google search on Correia.

How do you pronounce Correia anyway? With the accent on the ray syllable?

B&N here moved your books just to the right of the big NOOK display blocking the front door... the booth with the friendly, cute, talkative salesperson. The NOOK wasn't so easy to get to know, but I like paper so I'm biased.

I bought another book, I'll need a loaner.

John

Correia
October 5, 2010, 11:45 AM
John, just pronounce it Korea, like the country. When my family hit Ellis Island they said that Americans shouldn't have to roll their Rs. :)

Unless you're one of those people that expects others to say Son-Yaaaa Soooto-mey-oorrrrrrrrrrrrrr, instead of just saying Sonya Soto-Meyer like any normal American would. For those people. My last name has to be pronounced Qoo-whrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr-aaaa, and if they get it wrong, I'll be deeply offended by their obvious racism. :p

Which would be a problem, since by Portuguese standards I can't pronounce my name correctly.

JohnBT
October 5, 2010, 12:22 PM
Thanks.

I was over-thinking it or trying too hard or something.

On my father's maternal side, along about 1700 or so, somebody in PA or VA decided that the German name Meyer, Mayer or Meier was going to be pronounced and spelled Mawyer. Rhymes with lawyer. Go figure.

John

Seattleimport
October 5, 2010, 01:59 PM
Nice work, sir. This is entertaining stuff, and the shout-outs on hardware and ammunition is a treat.

What's your background? By that I mean, where'd you learn how to write fiction?

Correia
October 5, 2010, 04:14 PM
Self-taught on writing. (and sometimes it shows!). I paid zero attention in English. Couldn't stand it in fact. I only had one decent English teacher, and even then I didn't pay any attention. In college, I took the minimum amount of English in order to satisfy the requirements for an Accounting degree.

But I read a lot and I like to tell stories. :)

Travis McGee
October 6, 2010, 08:38 AM
Your craft will improve with each novel. At least that's my experience.

The opposite eventually happens to many famous authors with contracts to produce a book a year. In time even the big names run out of fresh ideas and "phone them in" from the beach in the last month before the stipulated date.

By then they don't care, not when they are making a million dollars a book.

lotus
October 6, 2010, 03:04 PM
Got my copy over the lunch hour. Keep it coming!

fidalgoman
October 6, 2010, 04:39 PM
Larry, a couple of months ago I let my bored fourteen year old son read MHI. He absolute loved it and said "Dad you've got to order the next one". I already had and he kept bugging me asking "when was it going to get here" as he read MHI five or six times. Now we've only had the book a week and he just finished reading it for the second time and is on pass three. Two comments he made were "it's even better than the first one" and "I wonder when the next one will be out"?

He sits reading MHV for hours chuckling constantly to himself. So if the number one son is any judge, you have a hit on your hands. Contrats.

longdayjake
October 6, 2010, 05:06 PM
Well, to answer the question about how to pronounce Correia's name, I can speak portuguese and here is how it would be said. In portuguese there is no rolling of the double R. The double R in the middle of a word is given the H sound. I actually have a few friends with the last name correia and this is how they pronounce it.

Co-hey-yah.

Correia
October 6, 2010, 05:19 PM
Jake is correct. The Co is almost a Q sound though. Like I said, in the US, it is just Korea.

And I just got the Nielsen Bookscan numbers for last week. That's like the Nielsen ratings for TV, only for books sold in the US. (it accounts for about 70% of the places that sell books) It is broken up by genre. MHV was #4 in fantasy. So the sequel to the little gun book that could is the fourth bestselling fantasy novel in the nation. :)

JohnBT
October 6, 2010, 05:33 PM
Dang, that's really hot, way to go.

"Co-hey-yah" Thanks, learn something new everyday. I wasn't too far off trying to make that hey a ray. But still wrong.

alemonkey
October 6, 2010, 07:31 PM
So....when are we going to be able to get dust covers or even lower receivers engraved with the MHI logo?
:evil:

Correia
October 6, 2010, 07:48 PM
EDIT!

Whoops. Apparently I wasn't supposed to know that yet. Disregard the exciting annoucement I just made. There is nothing to see here. Move along.

There will be rejoicing, NEXT WEEK. :)

mitch127
October 6, 2010, 08:05 PM
I bought my copy today so I'm pretty sure that I should get credit for the best seller status :-)

More seriously, great book and congratulations on the sales. Well deserved imo

Edited to fix my incompetent spelling

alemonkey
October 6, 2010, 09:01 PM
Holy crap! I just made the New York Times Bestseller list!

Good job!

statelineblues
October 6, 2010, 09:10 PM

Congrats!!! :D:D

stevek
October 6, 2010, 09:17 PM
Just ordered it from B&N...if it's half as good as MHI, I am going to love it!

stevek
October 6, 2010, 09:22 PM
So....when are we going to be able to get dust covers or even lower receivers engraved with the MHI logo?

Or some nice 1911 grip panels ;)

Al Thompson
October 6, 2010, 09:55 PM
*Sigh*..... Like we find that surprising? :neener:

TexasGunbie
October 7, 2010, 02:18 PM
can I be a character in your next book? even if I die within one chapter, I would be highly satisfy!

lotus
October 7, 2010, 03:24 PM
About 50% of the way through.

Love G-Nome!

I'm getting a little tired of the constant "FEDS ARE BAD" & "MHI CAN HANDLE EVERYTHING" vibe. It seems that situation would be a bit more nuanced than it is.

Really like the main villain's approach to the situation and the fact that the primary plot is not as straight forward as it could be.

Think I know who the spy is and it's not the obvious red herring, of course. Can't wait to find out if I'm right and why they did it.

Big_E
October 7, 2010, 03:47 PM
Lol, I must have been related to the Ellis Island guy who said "Korea", thats how I have been pronouncing it all along.

I just started MHV today. Only about 80 pages in but I like it better than MHI so far. Good work on the book, it makes me happy to see small time writers creating names for themselves.

I have a question about the guns used in the books. Could you give a list of every gun you wanted in? I am just not sure which model STI's you are referring to. Obviously they are double stack .45's, but are they any particular models you had chosen (Edge, Legend, Eagle, etc...? I know they are "custom" in the book)

strambo
October 7, 2010, 10:07 PM
I walked into the local Barnes & Noble yesterday and MHV was in the front of the store in the center row of "new in paperback". Very cool...(ordered it on Amazon though).

HJ857
October 8, 2010, 11:39 AM
The B&N in East Lansing, MI also had MHV right in front of the main entrance. No way to miss it.

I put 30 minutes worth of quarters in the parking meter figuring I'd have to hunt around a bit to find the book, but I think I ended up spending no more than 90 seconds there, including checkout. Pretty cool!

lotus
October 8, 2010, 02:32 PM
Well, I was wrong about the traitor. Well written!

And the MHI & Fed situation has gotten some very interesting, non-black&white wrinkles.

Great story! At this rate I'll finish tonight.

JohnnyOrygun
October 9, 2010, 03:16 AM
It was a great read, I lost several hours of sleep and put off reading some (very boring) college stuff, even put off writing my summary essay for wr 121. Yours is a great read, it was a real page turner.... only one problem, it was too short, now I need another one... so when is the next one coming out :neener:

John

budthachud
October 9, 2010, 07:38 AM
My wife is mailing me Vendetta today, I read the other one back in '09 when it was re-released. Great story. I was upset when I started the first few chapters online and couldn't finish it.

Correia
October 9, 2010, 02:49 PM
Okay, NOW it is official.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/17/books/bestseller/bestpapermassfiction.html?ref=books

I am a New York Times bestselling author. :D

Mr.510
October 9, 2010, 06:56 PM
Congratulations Larry, that's great news! I finished MHV a week ago on a camping trip and I'm about to start reading it again. I read MHI four times, the last in the week prior to MHV being released so it would be fresh in my head when I read the sequel. I really like Vendetta and it's probably easier for most to follow than the original. Some of the things we learn are very interesting... like the origin of Agent Franks! :) (Brilliant, BTW!) So when do we get the third installment? :D

To whoever asked about Z's .45s: There is a detailed description of them, where they came from, and why they are so important to Owen in the first book.

Has anyone built a 'real' Abomination yet? I just checked on forum.Saiga-12 and found a thread with some details but no build. Pictures! I want pictures of the real gun! I may have to build one myself... willing to share some of the details that are in your head Larry?

Radagast
October 11, 2010, 08:06 AM
Grabbed MHV from Galaxy bookshop here in Sydney, Australia. Galaxy are the specialist scifi/fantasy outlet. They had two copies of MHV left on their top ten seller shelf, now there is one. I'll have to wait for their restock order of MHI to come in.

Correia
October 11, 2010, 07:33 PM
Radagast, that's cool I was top 10 there. I was the #1 for the last year at a store in Melbourne as well. I'm doing really well in Australia. :D

Sgt_R
October 12, 2010, 01:03 AM

Gratz man!

Based entirely on this thread, I just picked up MHI and plan to start on it tonight. If I like what I see, I'll probably grab MHV tomorrow.

R

Unistat
October 15, 2010, 02:22 PM
Larry and the books just got recommended by Massad Ayoob!

http://http://backwoodshome.com/blogs/MassadAyoob/2010/10/14/monster-hunters/ (http://backwoodshome.com/blogs/MassadAyoob/2010/10/14/monster-hunters/)

Sgt_R
October 15, 2010, 02:43 PM
Just finished MHI, will most likely pick up MHV from the local bookstore today or tomorrow. Good stuff.

R

JR47
October 15, 2010, 08:52 PM
Just finished MHV, when's the next installment due out? Great read. You'll be pushing David Weber soon.

TexasGunbie
October 16, 2010, 12:49 AM
Why don't you sell any 1911 grips with MHI on it?!

FriedRice
October 16, 2010, 08:37 PM
Larry, congratulations! Savor it. FYI, I went into Borders looking for another book. Couldn't find it. But I found both of yours with no problem a few minutes later. I put down "The Gunslinger" today to start reading MHI and I am loving it. I'm a chapter in and excited. Who on here hasn't thought of what objects in the office can be used to save your life? And how much ammo we should carry, if we should carry a snubbie or semi-auto, or what's the deal with overpenetration? LOL. I anticipate enjoying them both this weekend as my hands recover from the ghastly stripping and reassembly of my Kahr K9. It's tickling the gun receptor in my brain without needing to touch a gun. :)

sixgunner455
October 23, 2010, 10:47 PM
Bought this book this week. Read it today.

Laughed myself silly all the way through it, which was a little disturbing because I was with my son at a scout camp.

Then there was a huge surprise at the end - Larry used a PM conversation between me and him in the book! Awesome!!

Good job, Larry. Really, really good stuff.

Patriotme
October 24, 2010, 10:13 AM
Another great book. I really hope there's another one in the works.
I can't tell you how much sleep I lost staying up reading this book during the work week.

Correia
October 26, 2010, 06:25 PM
Sixgunner. Yep, it's a penguin. And it's swimming right at you.

Plus I like the vision of Owen going through the entire final sequence wearing an upside down patch. :D

As for hoping for more in the works, I've got a total of 9 books under contract now, counting the ones that are done.

In order:

2009 - Monster Hunter International
2010 - Monster Hunter Vendetta
May 2011 - The Grimnoir Chronicles: Hard Magic
August 2011- Monster Hunter Alpha
The Grimnoir Chronicles: 2
Monster Hunter Legion
Untitled John Ringo collaboration 1
Untitled John Ringo collaboration 2
Monster Hunter Nemesis

And there are more coming after that, plus I'm still going to publish Dead Six, that started as the Welcome Back Mr. Nightcrawler thread here on THR. Then I've got several more TGC and MH books, as well as plans for a stand-alone thriller and an epic fantasy novel. So I'm pretty well booked until 2020. :D

DoubleTapDrew
October 27, 2010, 01:37 PM
I'm about 3/4 of the way through it and it's excellent!
I couldn't help but think of one of the short stories here (I think it was from Nightcrawler) when they mentioned one of the newbies had taken out a monster at a rest stop with an unregistered hand grenade :)

farscott
October 27, 2010, 02:54 PM
Just ordered my e-reader copy through Baen. Now I have something to read. :)

Ghost Dog
October 28, 2010, 01:28 AM
Larry, congratulations! I just ordered both books from Unclehugos, I love to read, especially books by authors who are knowledgeable about their subject.

One of my Dojo brothers, Gary Gabelhouse, has published a couple of Martial Arts related action/adventure books and being familiar with the terminology as well as the applications of techniques make them that much more enjoyable.

When do the movies come out!?

RonDeer10mm
October 28, 2010, 01:31 AM
Is there A... MOVIE!:D :what: :evil:

Correia
October 28, 2010, 12:17 PM
No movie yet. Though I've had some Hollywood interest last year, and again this year. I've actually spoken with some pretty big names, and overall, it has been very educational. :D

when they mentioned one of the newbies had taken out a monster at a rest stop with an unregistered hand grenade Yep. That was so cool it became official. :)

OMC-CHEESE
October 28, 2010, 12:19 PM
The first one was one of the best books I have ever read. I cant wait to read the new one.

P.shooter
October 28, 2010, 05:18 PM
I read the free chapters and I'm hooked, so I bought both for my Nook.

PS. I was happy to see Alabama, but where's this Keene County you speak of? :uhoh:

bigred0383
October 28, 2010, 08:46 PM
I too read the free chapters online, and went out to Barnes and Noble to pick up both books yesterday. Thank you and good luck!

alemonkey
October 29, 2010, 09:01 AM
We need movies and an MHI AR 15 lower. I already have the T-Shirt....

Zombie_Flesh
October 29, 2010, 10:21 AM
I read chapters 1-3 on MHI(1) and loved it. then bough both on amazon along with a case of earplugs for taking folks to the range.

Ghost Dog
October 29, 2010, 11:46 PM
Not to make every one else jealous but; I ordered both books from Unclehugos on Wednesday and thought because they would ship media mail I would have to wait at least a week. However, They arrived today both autographed by the Real Author!! Too Cool!

I know how I'm spending my weekend.

G D

Zombie_Flesh
November 11, 2010, 09:11 AM
2 questions
1 - Is this book really fiction?
2 - Have you made up any actual MHI patches? I would love to put one on my range bag.

meytind
November 11, 2010, 10:09 AM
Recently finished my copy. Fantastic. Just as good as the first one. I can't wait for the next book. (Tell me there's going to be a third book or else that whole epilogue thing was just mean spirited and wrong ;) )

JohnBiltz
November 11, 2010, 04:17 PM
There are going to be at 3 more books. Monster Hunter Alpha about Earl is next. Then one about Agent Franks and back to Owen's story.

Patches are sold at Monster Hunter Nation. http://larrycorreia.wordpress.com/buy-stuff/

Correia
November 11, 2010, 11:29 PM
Well, here is the cover for the next one:

http://larrycorreia.wordpress.com/2010/11/12/cover-art-for-monster-hunter-alpha/

It came out AWESOME. :D

browningguy
November 12, 2010, 10:05 PM
You know, it's funny I had a run in with one of the moderators a couple of weeks ago because they shut down some threads about zombie hunting etc. They claimed it absolutely was never ever allowed on THR.

Correia
November 12, 2010, 11:07 PM
You know, it's funny I had a run in with one of the moderators a couple of weeks ago because they shut down some threads about zombie hunting etc. They claimed it absolutely was never ever allowed on THR.

Yeah, because having a thread about a novel born on TFL, written by a THR member, proofed by THR members, with a cover designed by THR's founder, that was self published and sold to THR members, that then become a national hit (because of THR members), only to go on and get a major publishing contract for an ongoing series, and then that little gun-culture-novel-that-could somehow went mainstream and became a New York Times bestseller, is EXACTLY like having the tenth thread this week about "what gun for zombies?".

No difference, whatsoever... (but even then, to be safe I asked the mods and got permission before posting this thread about the sequel's release over a month ago)

Same thing. Man, I bet you're like totally offended. I bet we even put the same amount of work into our respective projects (zombie thread, series of novels, I'd call it a wash) Hey, maybe if you publish your What Gun For Zombies MCXIV thread and sell 100,000 copies of it, the mods will let you have a thread too!

You know, I retired from modding here like 3 years ago. It is good to see that the thing where people feel the need to tell the mods their jobs hasn't changed! That's a proud tradition, there. :)

SuperNaut
November 12, 2010, 11:10 PM
LOL!

Radagast
November 12, 2010, 11:22 PM
Larry, My local book pusher has MHI back listed on the never never. Are you willing to mail one and a couple of patches to OZ? If it's too hard I'll go through Amazon.
FWIW, I read the first seven chapters of MHI on Baen's site, loved it & have decided I need to read them in sequence, so I've put aside MHV for the moment.

FWIW If he wasn't a sci-fi editor Jim Baen would have been a great drug pusher. Here you go kids,the first taste is free.... he was an evil, evil man. :)

Correia
November 13, 2010, 02:12 AM
Radagast, I'll ship to Australia. No problem. It usually only costs a couple extra bucks.

There's one store in Melbourne where I was their #1 seller last year, but I can't remember the name of the place...

Diamondback6
November 13, 2010, 02:37 AM
Larry, don't forget to shoot me dates and locations on the Seattle/Tacoma leg of the Grimnoir tour--and whatever you're drinkin', I'm buyin'.

browningguy
November 13, 2010, 12:31 PM
Yeah, because having a thread about a novel born on TFL, written by a THR member, proofed by THR members, with a cover designed by THR's founder, that was self published and sold to THR members, that then become a national hit (because of THR members), only to go on and get a major publishing contract for an ongoing series, and then that little gun-culture-novel-that-could somehow went mainstream and became a New York Times bestseller, is EXACTLY like having the tenth thread this week about "what gun for zombies?".

No difference, whatsoever... (but even then, to be safe I asked the mods and got permission before posting this thread about the sequel's release over a month ago)

Same thing. Man, I bet you're like totally offended. I bet we even put the same amount of work into our respective projects (zombie thread, series of novels, I'd call it a wash) Hey, maybe if you publish your What Gun For Zombies MCXIV thread and sell 100,000 copies of it, the mods will let you have a thread too!

You know, I retired from modding here like 3 years ago. It is good to see that the thing where people feel the need to tell the mods their jobs hasn't changed! That's a proud tradition, there.

Actually, I don't write any threads about monster hunting, zombies etc. because I don't have any writing talent, but I do read them all. And no, I don't really see any difference. Besides yours there were a couple of other novel projects I recall being started, even though most of the others never got finished before the authors gave up, they were interesting reading. The mod responded to me that zombies/SHTF were never allowed on THR as this did not reflect well on THR members, and I simply pointed out that the statement was incorrect.

I don't think the mods are some all knowing sages of the keyboard. So I rarely, twice in the past several years, point out to them in a PM when I believe they have allowed their personal biases to overrule fair treatment of other members of the board who are not so important as to be a mod.

That's one of the great things about America, no matter how self important someone is, the rest of us can have our own opinion.

Baba Louie
November 14, 2010, 06:46 AM
Correia,
You've Done It, again! I can remember waaaay back in the Nightcrawler thread days thinking, "these guys are pretty good"... even for fuzzy bunny gunshop owning accountants. (who knew, cared or ever thought about the whole NYT's bestseller thing back then?) Some were also tenacious, a good thing in a Monster Hunter writer I think.

Your books.. I laughed, I cried (hey weddings can do that sometimes) I laughed a whole lot more. (never trust a troll, especially those trolls who spam for fun & games... and I never knew Gnomes were such badazzes, but it makes perfect sense)

Thanks for all of the fine effort. Pre ordered Grim...(summer 2011) so I guess I'm one of those old THR fans and I wonder if you could have 2 books on the NYT list next summer? At the same time? Muahahaha :D

Do you have some photos of the heros guns, posted somewhere on THR for posterity? Maybe just one or two of the "Abomination" thing? Matching STIs, silver bullets... that sorta thing? A little MHI eyecandy for the fans? ;)

Correia
November 14, 2010, 03:49 PM
Afraid not on the pics. Nobody has ever built an Abomination. Though I am having a near copy of Owen's pistol made. I'll be seeing it for the first time at SHOT show probably.

Diamondback6
November 14, 2010, 06:55 PM
Not quite, Larry--remember, one of the Truitt crew and I are both working on Abomination builds? The beast won't be anywhere near ready in time for your Seattle-area signings, but the design is mostly ready and waiting for a Saiga to build it around... and the cash-flow to proceed.

Correia
November 15, 2010, 11:44 AM
Diamondback, I didn't say anything because I figured that was secret. :)

Glocked-N-Loaded
November 15, 2010, 12:04 PM
Ordering today, proud to support you bro.

CH47gunner
November 15, 2010, 10:28 PM
This is funny - I'm reading it now. I had no idea this was written by one of the mods. Liked the first one also.
Congrats Correia, Good stuff!

Bruce

Radagast
November 16, 2010, 05:00 AM
Larry:
Sent you an email re ordering.

henschman
November 16, 2010, 09:13 PM
That's bad ass... I love to write, and sometimes I think I'd much rather be an author than a lawyer. I write a lot for my job, but it is not very exciting stuff. I am trying to avoid some of it right now, in fact. Bleh.

Diamondback6
November 17, 2010, 08:22 PM
Larry, the fact that the project is in the pipe isn't a secret--just my exact parts-matrix, and even that only until I've had a chance to pass it through testing and review for the Good PUFFwhacking Seal of Approval...:D

Besides, now that it's gone semi-public that's gonna force me to divert more funding into it and possibly have things ready sooner.:) I've never failed a construction project, and I'm counting on everybody here to keep the pressure on that I not start doing so now!

statelineblues
December 22, 2010, 09:52 PM
Would you carry this if you worked for MHI?

http://www.nramuseum.com/the-museum/the-galleries/robert-e-petersen-gallery/cased-handguns/vampire-hunter's-colt.aspx

Deus Machina
December 23, 2010, 12:44 AM
Just bought the first one, will be reading it when I'm done with my current book.

Just wanted to congratulate on getting published. :)

On an interesting note, MHV was on the shelf directly beside Mogworld by Yahtzee Croshaw, which is another incredibly witty internet writer I'm familiar with. So even the books are in good company.

grampster
December 23, 2010, 12:54 AM
Haven't been in GG for awhile. Didn't read the whole thread. Buy Larry's books. I can't encourage any of you enuf. He's got some new stuff coming soon and the 3rd MHI soon too. He is a terrific author. (I am not Larry's mother.)

If you don't buy 'em now, in a couple of years I'll sell you my autographed copies for large sums of money.:D:D

Radagast
December 23, 2010, 03:19 PM
Buy this book.

I received my copy of MHI from Larry while flat on my back in a hospital bed awaiting surgery for a shattered spine.
MHI was true soul food for a shooter who needed some escape from reality. As horror it was better than Saberhagen. As techno thriller it was as good as Ringo at his best and much better than his worst. I read MHI in one sitting, and was grinning, even laughing through the pain & the morphine.
I seriously recommend this book to anyone who likes escapist stories in which good people overcome great odds & great evil without the asssistance of, or against the incompetence of big brother. It was just plain fun!

Larry, I'm pretty sure I recognised couple of THR/TFL moderators in MHI. As the series expands you will obviously need some cannon fodder/ moist crunchy monster snacks to fill out the teams. Have you considered offering red shirt parts in return for a charitable donation in the same manner as Ringo? That would be rather cool.

I repeat. Buy this book.

Radagast
February 13, 2011, 08:49 AM
There is a free short story in the MHI universe at the Baen website.
http://www.baen.com/tanya.asp

Red Tornado
February 13, 2011, 04:51 PM
Excellent short! This is exactly what we need to make the wait for MHIII tolerable.
RT

Liberty1776
February 13, 2011, 08:16 PM
Larry - about halfway through - great story. I like the twist with the shard - really neat. (Please tell me you've at least completed the outline for MH III??? P.S. - are you, or the publishers, selling MH decals? - My AR stock, and several gun cases, need one...:evil:

statelineblues
February 13, 2011, 11:56 PM
Excellent!!

Correia
February 14, 2011, 12:24 PM
Thanks, guys. :)

Liberty, if you go to my blog, www.larrycorreia.wordpress.com I've got a Buy Stuff tab.

And yes, MHI:3 is done. It is called Monster Hunter Alpha, and it will be coming out in August 2011. It is an Earl Harbinger novel.

I've got 4 books coming out this year.
May - The Grimnoir Chronicles: Hard Magic (the early e-book is available on Baen's site now. Think hard-boilded pulp/noir/action/alternative-history/fantasy. John M. Browning is a techno-wizard. :) )
August- Monster Hunter Alpha
October - Dead Six (awwwww... the Mr. Nightcrawler thread that we wrote here on THR is all grown up!)
November - The Grimnoir Chronicles: Spellbound

Then I'm collaborating on a trilogy with John Ringo (post-apocolyptic pseudo-steampunk!)

jobu07
February 14, 2011, 12:36 PM
I've got 4 books coming out this year.
May - The Grimnoir Chronicles: Hard Magic (the early e-book is available on Baen's site now. Think hard-boilded pulp/noir/action/alternative-history/fantasy. John M. Browning is a techno-wizard. )
August- Monster Hunter Alpha
October - Dead Six (awwwww... the Mr. Nightcrawler thread that we wrote here on THR is all grown up!)
November - The Grimnoir Chronicles: Spellbound

Someone has been busy! Congratulations on all your success Larry! Your books all seem to be finding their way onto my shelves.

doubleh
February 14, 2011, 06:01 PM
OK, Corriea, add me to your list of readers. I got on your website and read some of MHI yesterday afternoon. To tell the truth I had seen stuff before about MHI and the title really didn't flip my switch so I just let things go. I'm a big fan of John Ringo and after reading that you are doing a collaboration with him I decided to check out MHI. Glad I did. I dropped by Hastings today and found it and MHV and brought them home with me.

I wish you the very best with your writing career.

BleysAhrens
February 14, 2011, 06:17 PM
I love John Ringo!!! Can you say what the name of the trilogy is? Have you read Troy rising? I talked about Maple syrup for over a month after reading that!

Cain R
February 15, 2011, 03:30 AM
Kindle any time soon?

rduckwor
February 15, 2011, 10:41 AM
kindle any time soon?

+1

rmd

danprkr
February 15, 2011, 07:35 PM
You can download his Baen books at http://www.baen.com/ Just choose the .mobi format and you're good to go. I read both the MHI books that way. Price is right, and it's so easy even I could do it so enjoy.

If you enjoyed reading about "The sequel to a novel born on THR, MONSTER HUNTER VENDETTA, in stores this week" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!