worth the $

PDA

BlkHawk73
December 14, 2003, 09:48 AM
i'm trying to decide on what firearm to buy next. Most of my choices are handguns, but they all run from "ordinary" (Ruger) to high-end stuff (Pardini, Volquartsen, etc...). I don't really need the Pardini as I'm not in a league that would require theat type of gun. (already have a supurbly accurate 22/45) I have a need to buy quality items but for the price of a Pardini, I can buy 2 or 3 "ordinary" models. I guess I'm trying to determine if there's more to these high-end models.

If you enjoyed reading about "worth the $" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Old Fuff
December 14, 2003, 10:03 AM
You didn’t specifically say, but I presume you are interested in a pistol for bullseye target shooting. The advantages in the higher-prices pistols usually has to do with closer adjustments in the rear sight, a higher quality barrel/bore with match chambering, and perhaps most important - a better trigger pull with external or internal adjustments for weight of pull, backlash, and sometimes take-up. Some of the European models place the line-of-bore lower in the hand for faster recoil recovery. All of these things can add points to your score, and a few more points or “X’s” is what separates the winners from the also-ran. While a more expensive pistol doesn’t necessarily make an ordinary shooter into a winner - only practice and experience will do that - they do help. While you are window-shopping consider some of the better European guns (Walther, Hammerli, etc.). They are expensive, but they will last a lifetime and the designs are more advanced then those now produced in the United States.

Standing Wolf
December 14, 2003, 09:33 PM
Old Fluff has nailed it again.

I'd like to add there are plenty of possibilities with older American match pistols, providing a.) you can discern the good ones from the bad, and b.) you can find a gunsmith competent to work on it. I have three High Standards from the 1970s, of which two are champions. Mine aren't for sale and won't be as long as I'm still drawing breath, but their market value would be between $750 and $1,000. I'd recommend staying miles away from the Mitchell and Texas High Standards, but there's no shortage of worthy Hamden and East Hartford High Standards.

Hang out at http://www.tm-techmark.com/jspacek.htm a few months, eh?

If you enjoyed reading about "worth the $" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!