Shoulder Holster Recommendation

PDA

ArtP
September 26, 2010, 01:32 AM
I would like to carry a handgun in the field while hunting/camping. It's a 5.5" Super Blackhawk, non scoped and I think a shoulder holster would work best. Any recommendations? I found Uncle Mikes makes one, but am looking for other choices.

The ability to detach the holstered gun from the rig (strapping), easily, would be a big plus. For instance, to take off the gun without removing the belts/straps.

I have belt holsters now and like them for smaller auto's, but find them awkward for heavier guns like the SBH.

If you enjoyed reading about "Shoulder Holster Recommendation" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
swinokur
September 26, 2010, 07:16 AM
Look at Galco, They have some

JTQ
September 26, 2010, 01:27 PM
Check out the "Chesty Puller" system from Simply Rugged. Usually one of the top recommendations for large revolver carry.

http://www.simplyrugged.com/index.html

http://www.simplyrugged.com/store/chesty_puller.html

Thorgrim
September 29, 2010, 12:12 AM
Unless you're wearing a backpack (and good luck finding a holster to go with that) I favor a crossdraw. I've had shoulder holsters but they seem to drag at my shoulders over the course of a day, whereas a good crossdraw rig on a 2" wide dedicated gunbelt is supported by the pelvic girdle and is hardly noticed after a bit of breaking-in. On a separate gun belt you simply unbuckle it, wrap the belt around the holster and stow it - you can still draw it from the bundle if you get a "surprise".

ArtP
September 29, 2010, 12:43 AM
Unless you're wearing a backpack (and good luck finding a holster to go with that) I favor a crossdraw. I've had shoulder holsters but they seem to drag at my shoulders over the course of a day, whereas a good crossdraw rig on a 2" wide dedicated gunbelt is supported by the pelvic girdle and is hardly noticed after a bit of breaking-in. On a separate gun belt you simply unbuckle it, wrap the belt around the holster and stow it - you can still draw it from the bundle if you get a "surprise".

You got a link or manufacturer?

JTQ
September 29, 2010, 06:52 AM
Most of those Simply Rugged holsters have 3 slots. It allows you to use the holster either strong side or cross-draw.

Lucky Derby
November 9, 2010, 06:57 PM
Check out the "Chesty Puller" system from Simply Rugged. Usually one of the top recommendations for large revolver carry.

http://www.simplyrugged.com/index.html

http://www.simplyrugged.com/store/chesty_puller.html

Another vote for Simply Rugged & the Chesty Puller. you ca use it as a shoulder rig, or a belt rig, and it doesn't interfere with a backpack.

kbbailey
November 9, 2010, 07:14 PM
I'm with Thorgrim.
I have carried a Blackhwk nearly every way known and have settled on crossdraw as my favorite by far.
Mine is a Roy's Original picked up at a flea mkt. Wish I had another for my son.

jgiehl
November 23, 2010, 05:53 AM
Check out Diamond D Holsters.
He makes an EXCELLENT shoulder holster, I have one for my smith and it is a joy to carry in the field.

rattletrap1970
November 23, 2010, 06:07 AM
Idaho leather makes some gorgeous stuff. I have one of his "Last Man Standing, single rigs".

IncredibleGord
January 1, 2011, 08:03 AM
"I would like to carry a handgun in the field while hunting/camping. "

Is that legal?

Darkside
January 5, 2011, 01:39 PM
I second the Diamond D Leather Guides Choice holster and can't say enough good things about it. I bought one for my 629 during deer season and can't think of a reason you would have to take it off, it's that comfortable. :)

Darkside

weisse52
January 7, 2011, 12:25 PM
Another vote for SimplyRugged. Great holsters and a great price. Service second to none.

Carne Frio
January 9, 2011, 11:34 AM
"I would like to carry a handgun in the field while hunting/camping. "

" Is that legal? "

It is here and a wise practice. It might not be legal if you are
hunting muzzle loader or bow season. Depends on your state law.

Simply Rugged products are excellent.

If you enjoyed reading about "Shoulder Holster Recommendation" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!